Jump to content

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???


If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

766 members have voted

  1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

    • YES
      594
    • NO
      173


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Very informative.  Thanks for posting.

Yes - thanks for the helpful information. It's good to hear from someone directly involved in a study.

Edited by mek
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

I am in the Orlando Pfizer COVID vaccine study and have received both the vaccine and the booster 4 weeks later.  
 

I travel every week for business and have a new grandson.  In addition, I have two disabled adult children, one with health issues, so having immunity as soon as possible was worth the risk of participating in the trial.

 

This is my experience and information I have been given.

 

The vaccine’s predominate side effect is a very sore arm, worse than a tetanus shot but not as bad as Shingrex.  The booster causes a bit more soreness than the first vaccine.  Also, I felt a bit under the weather the day after both injections, not as bad as Shingrex but just a little off.

 

The efficacy so far is in line with major vaccines like small pox, diphtheria, Shringrex.... fairly close to 100% effective.  The virus is structurally nothing like the flu so the vaccines are completely different animals, comparing the flu vaccine efficacy to the COVID vaccine is like comparing apples to broccoli.

 

The Pfizer vaccine is an RNA vaccine, there is no live virus so chances of getting Covid from the vaccine are 0%.  Moderna is the same.  I believe that Astra Zeneca is using a biological delivery system so their’s is completely different.  I can’t comment on how that works.

 

The Pfizer vaccine developed so quickly because AI and quantum computing are driving data analysis.  AI and quantum computing can now quickly analyze trillions of data sets that just a few years ago took five years.  Now that same data set can be deciphered in less than one minute.  Northwestern University is a major contributor to the computing aspect.
 

Our study was supposed to end today for first round immunizations but the trial was extended for two weeks.  Anyone in the Orlando area over 70 or an essential worker, if interested, give Pfizer a call ASAP.  They give you $250 for each visit and $5 per week for reporting.  The compensation is nominal and I would have happily paid them to be in the study as I am now immune to the disease.

 

Approval is anticipated in October and production is already in full force.  I have no idea when it will be delivered.  The goal is to get it out before flu season is in full force, although, Pfizer has spend billions on development and every day is costing them millions of dollars so they, of course, will deliver as soon as is humanly possible.
 

I read that the US government bought 400 million doses but I can not verify that as everything I read has an agenda one way or the other so I take it all with a grain of salt.

 

I can, however, from my first hand experience, say that the Pfizer vaccine is safe and effective for me.  No one in Pfizer phase two or three has had any serious side effects and almost 100% have developed antibodies that are more than adequate to keep COVID at bay.  A few people in phase one who were given very high experimental dosages had passing out episodes but that was the most severe reaction and the current dosages are much lower.

 

Thats my experience.  I hope it helps people decide.

 

Did some "googling" - apparently there has never been an RNA vaccine produced before.  Moderna is making the 1st one ever.  There's no history at all of how the RNA works. Instead of putting virus into your body to make antibodies, RNA triggers your cells to produce antibodies.  Think that's how they describe it.  Never been done before.   Wonder how we can find more info about exactly what's in this vaccine?  Did they give you that when you did the clinical trial?

NJ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

 

Did some "googling" - apparently there has never been an RNA vaccine produced before.  Moderna is making the 1st one ever.  There's no history at all of how the RNA works. Instead of putting virus into your body to make antibodies, RNA triggers your cells to produce antibodies.  Think that's how they describe it.  Never been done before.   Wonder how we can find more info about exactly what's in this vaccine?  Did they give you that when you did the clinical trial?

NJ 

While there hasn't been an actual vaccine.  Research has been going on for several years into vaccines, including those for cancer.  This is not a new idea made up just for Covid.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

mRNA is very complicated.  Here is a Cambridge article that tries to break it down simply.  1000 years ago, I studied biochem.  Today I own a Physics based AI company so I understand it fairly well but still doubt that I could explain it.  This should help.

 

https://www.phgfoundation.org/briefing/rna-vaccines

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

mRNA is very complicated.  Here is a Cambridge article that tries to break it down simply.  1000 years ago, I studied biochem.  Today I own a Physics based AI company so I understand it fairly well but still doubt that I could explain it.  This should help.

 

https://www.phgfoundation.org/briefing/rna-vaccines

Hey - thanks.  That is excellent description.  A little confused - so basically, no one knows how it works or if it will work?

NJ

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Hey - thanks.  That is excellent description.  A little confused - so basically, no one knows how it works or if it will work?

NJ

Not exactly true.  It's being tested currently as the pp posted about their experience with the Pfizer vaccine trials.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

I am in the Orlando Pfizer COVID vaccine study and have received both the vaccine and the booster 4 weeks later.  
 

I travel every week for business and have a new grandson.  In addition, I have two disabled adult children, one with health issues, so having immunity as soon as possible was worth the risk of participating in the trial.

 

This is my experience and information I have been given.

 

The vaccine’s predominate side effect is a very sore arm, worse than a tetanus shot but not as bad as Shingrex.  The booster causes a bit more soreness than the first vaccine.  Also, I felt a bit under the weather the day after both injections, not as bad as Shingrex but just a little off.

 

The efficacy so far is in line with major vaccines like small pox, diphtheria, Shringrex.... fairly close to 100% effective.  The virus is structurally nothing like the flu so the vaccines are completely different animals, comparing the flu vaccine efficacy to the COVID vaccine is like comparing apples to broccoli.

 

The Pfizer vaccine is an RNA vaccine, there is no live virus so chances of getting Covid from the vaccine are 0%.  Moderna is the same.  I believe that Astra Zeneca is using a biological delivery system so their’s is completely different.  I can’t comment on how that works.

 

The Pfizer vaccine developed so quickly because AI and quantum computing are driving data analysis.  AI and quantum computing can now quickly analyze trillions of data sets that just a few years ago took five years.  Now that same data set can be deciphered in less than one minute.  Northwestern University is a major contributor to the computing aspect.
 

Our study was supposed to end today for first round immunizations but the trial was extended for two weeks.  Anyone in the Orlando area over 70 or an essential worker, if interested, give Pfizer a call ASAP.  They give you $250 for each visit and $5 per week for reporting.  The compensation is nominal and I would have happily paid them to be in the study as I am now immune to the disease.

 

Approval is anticipated in October and production is already in full force.  I have no idea when it will be delivered.  The goal is to get it out before flu season is in full force, although, Pfizer has spend billions on development and every day is costing them millions of dollars so they, of course, will deliver as soon as is humanly possible.
 

I read that the US government bought 400 million doses but I can not verify that as everything I read has an agenda one way or the other so I take it all with a grain of salt.

 

I can, however, from my first hand experience, say that the Pfizer vaccine is safe and effective for me.  No one in Pfizer phase two or three has had any serious side effects and almost 100% have developed antibodies that are more than adequate to keep COVID at bay.  A few people in phase one who were given very high experimental dosages had passing out episodes but that was the most severe reaction and the current dosages are much lower.

 

Thats my experience.  I hope it helps people decide.


You are a direct part of helping conquer this pandemic.  Without folks like you volunteering, we would have no shot at gathering data to assist the fight against Covid.   Thank you and good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 9:52 PM, mek said:

Of course I realize that - my point was if I would be willing to get the vaccine during a phase 3 trial then I don't see why it would be any different after the trial - as far as side effects are involved.   And yes once I had the vaccine I would be willing to expose myself to life as it used to be, but  I would imagine the shots don't kick in immediately, so there is probably a short time where immunity isn't complete and a little extra care would be necessary.  I don't know abut that part and unless you are an epidemiologist working on any of the vaccines in development, my guess is you don't know either.

 

At least for the Moderna phase 3 trial, you get two shots 30 days apart (both real or both placebo, 50/50 odds).  Looking at the earlier trial reports and primate studies, it looked to me like people had achieved most of the immunity a couple weeks after the first shot.  Many people can tell if they got the real thing, because often there are noticeable side effects like swelling and fatigue that you don't get from the placebo saline shot.  The whole experience has been fascinating and they take good care of you.  Also, they pay you, and it works out to more than a cruise fare!

 

As far as other people joking about a RCCL discount plan for vaccines, don't worry about it.  The feds have pre-paid for hundreds of millions of doses and intend to give them out free to people like CVS who charge you $20 or whatever if you don't have insurance, or nothing if you do.  One cool thing, at least about Moderna, is it appears to be nearly 100% effective, so it will not depend upon herd immunity to be effective like the flu shot does - the implication being that you don't need to care if your neighbor gets the shot or not.  Your immunity won't depend upon whatever other people decide to do.  If enough people voluntarily get the vaccine the R0 number will drop below 1.0 and the plague will dry out - there won't be any reason to make it mandatory.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 11:22 AM, NJ&Ozzie said:

Hey - thanks.  That is excellent description.  A little confused - so basically, no one knows how it works or if it will work?

NJ

 

We know that the candidate vaccines stimulate a high level of covid antibodies.  We know that in a group of (unfortunate) monkeys they gave half of them the vaccine and half not, and exposed them to massive covid vaccine infections.  The non-vaccine group had a lot of terrible illness.  The vaccine group not only had no illness but also they couldn't find any surviving viruses in their blood.  Sadly these monkeys had to be killed after the study, which is tragic considering all the extra politicians in the world that could have been put to good use instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, garywatson said:

 

 

 

  One cool thing, at least about Moderna, is it appears to be nearly 100% effective, so it will not depend upon herd immunity to be effective like the flu shot does - the implication being that you don't need to care if your neighbor gets the shot or not.  Your immunity won't depend upon whatever other people decide to do.  If enough people voluntarily get the vaccine the R0 number will drop below 1.0 and the plague will dry out - there won't be any reason to make it mandatory.

 

I hope this part turns out to be be the case.  I have friends and family who absolutely won't get the vaccine but as long as I'm protected that is what matters most to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, garywatson said:

 

We know that the candidate vaccines stimulate a high level of covid antibodies.  We know that in a group of (unfortunate) monkeys they gave half of them the vaccine and half not, and exposed them to massive covid vaccine infections.  The non-vaccine group had a lot of terrible illness.  The vaccine group not only had no illness but also they couldn't find any surviving viruses in their blood.  Sadly these monkeys had to be killed after the study, which is tragic considering all the extra politicians in the world that could have been put to good use instead.

I find this interesting but somewhat disturbing.  Many years ago, I served as the public member of a research committee at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital that dealt with animal used in experimentation.  I can tell you that we took our job very seriously.  We evaluated every request from mice to monkeys.  I can say that in my many years on the committee we approved a total of less than a handful of monkeys for experimentation.  In every case of animal use, humane treatment had to be demonstrated.  I find it distressing, If what you say is true, and large numbers of monkeys died in these tests.  It would indicate to me that the best scientific protocol was not being used and Operation Warp Speed may have cut corners.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I find this interesting but somewhat disturbing.  Many years ago, I served as the public member of a research committee at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital that dealt with animal used in experimentation.  I can tell you that we took our job very seriously.  We evaluated every request from mice to monkeys.  I can say that in my many years on the committee we approved a total of less than a handful of monkeys for experimentation.  In every case of animal use, humane treatment had to be demonstrated.  I find it distressing, If what you say is true, and large numbers of monkeys died in these tests.  It would indicate to me that the best scientific protocol was not being used and Operation Warp Speed may have cut corners.

 

My speculation is that they put the animals down because they were (deliberately) infected with a deadly and contagious disease, but the document I read only mentioned it in passing so I don't know. 

 

Edited by garywatson
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 10:51 PM, the more ports the better said:

 

The vaccine’s predominate side effect is a very sore arm, worse than a tetanus shot but not as bad as Shingrex.  The booster causes a bit more soreness than the first vaccine.  Also, I felt a bit under the weather the day after both injections, not as bad as Shingrex but just a little off.

 

The efficacy so far is in line with major vaccines like small pox, diphtheria, Shringrex.... fairly close to 100% effective.  The virus is structurally nothing like the flu so the vaccines are completely different animals, comparing the flu vaccine efficacy to the COVID vaccine is like comparing apples to broccoli.

 

 

 

Oh man the Shingrix shots were 100x more horrible than my experience with the covid vaccine candidate.  I think I might have preferred getting actual shingles.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, garywatson said:

 

Oh man the Shingrix shots were 100x more horrible than my experience with the covid vaccine candidate.  I think I might have preferred getting actual shingles.

 

I had aches, fever, lethargy and stayed home from work the day after each Shringrex shot, but I'd do it all over again to avoid shingles.  I'd take the same reaction to avoid COVID.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BND said:

Sounds interesting, but it seems like it is a long way from reality. Seems like vaccines currently in development will be available long before this is.

Edited by time4u2go
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised that vaccine trial candidates are allowed to publically discuss their scenarios.  My DH was part of a major medical test study.  He was #11 of initial 20 people and we both had to sign papers we would not discuss details to even direct family.   The trials went on for more than 2 or 3 years and saved the lives of thousands of people but I'm not even sure I can even discuss now with all the legal docs we signed.

I'm happy to hear all the positive news about both Pfizer and moderna vaccines and hopefully someone that is immuno compromised will be allowed to get the vaccine.

Thank you very much to all the candidates.  I was asked twice by one if the medical labs if I wanted to participate but declined.

I have all the faith that we have great scientists in our world and we will get this resolved soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm surprised that vaccine trial candidates are allowed to publically discuss their scenarios.  My DH was part of a major medical test study.  He was #11 of initial 20 people and we both had to sign papers we would not discuss details to even direct family.   The trials went on for more than 2 or 3 years and saved the lives of thousands of people but I'm not even sure I can even discuss now with all the legal docs we signed.

I'm happy to hear all the positive news about both Pfizer and moderna vaccines and hopefully someone that is immuno compromised will be allowed to get the vaccine.

Thank you very much to all the candidates.  I was asked twice by one if the medical labs if I wanted to participate but declined.

I have all the faith that we have great scientists in our world and we will get this resolved soon.

My DH who is 63 and type II and takes meds for slightly high bp and cholesterol volunteered, but he wasn't fast enough and the facility is in MD (we live in VA, but only about 20 miles away) so he didn't get picked, but he was more than willing.  As I've said before, he's retired US Navy 0-6 and looks for ways to serve.  I was surprised to see something from participants too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BND said:

Um okay.  That proves nothing either way.  Try to be positive.

You asked what we thought of it and I gave you my opinion. I think that if this new thing were to be available anytime soon they would have said so. They didn't.

 

Do you honestly think this new thing would just leapfrog all of the vaccines that are currently undergoing months-long trials? They haven't even begun human trials. Wouldn't it also take months to test once they do start human trials?

Edited by time4u2go
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 10:07 PM, yogimax said:

  I find it distressing, If what you say is true, and large numbers of monkeys died in these tests.  It would indicate to me that the best scientific protocol was not being used and Operation Warp Speed may have cut corners.

 

I imagine when working on a PANDEMIC of a deadly disease  LARGE numbers of test animals would NOT mean they are cutting corners, rather the opposite might be true.

 

All the animals used no matter if they died or survived will have been carefully examined which sadly includes post mortem examinations. 

 

  

Edited by boscobeans
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, time4u2go said:

You asked what we thought of it and I gave you my opinion. I think that if this new thing were to be available anytime soon they would have said so. They didn't.

 

Do you honestly think this new thing would just leapfrog all of the vaccines that are currently undergoing months-long trials? They haven't even begun human trials. Wouldn't it also take months to test once they do start human trials?

 

The most interesting part of the report is: "The drug also reportedly does not bind to human cells, which suggests it will not have negative side effects in people."

 

If this is true the risk factor would be very low if any at all..  

 

IF is a very important part of the above...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...