Jump to content

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???


If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

884 members have voted

  1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

    • YES
      689
    • NO
      195


Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

Well said. The piper is drooling over the bills we're racking up

 

👍

 

"The recklessness and shamelessness of all this reminds me of the story of the man in a dark suit who knocks on a woman’s door as she is holding a baby girl in her arms. "I’m from the IRS and I’m here to collect your $120,000 share of the national debt," the man says.

 

The woman answers in shock: "I don’t have that much money."

 

The man replies: "I wasn’t talking to you. I was talking to the baby." 

 

🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

 

IMO, keeping it simple was wise.  🙄

 

Quoting Gordon, Huberfeld and Jones...  

 

"A global pandemic has no respect for geographic boundaries, laying bare the weaknesses of federalism in the face of a crisis."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Quoting Gordon, Huberfeld and Jones...  

 

"A global pandemic has no respect for geographic boundaries, laying bare the weaknesses of federalism in the face of a crisis."

 

 

I don't have any cure for the virus, didn't cause it, didn't transmit it, etc.  I haven't experienced a 100 year pandemic before.  I'm not blaming anyone, here, at the Federal or state level for it's existence here.

 

Also, I have no problem with the consternations about that responses of the 50 states in line with their objection to the Federal powers over the pandemic.  So, maybe they should have relinquished such for the pandemic?  Again, the states "did not."  That is not the fault of Federal governance.

 

You refer (to the 'authors) who are clear ideologs of a certain dogma as if the Federal government "should have absolute authority" over the states.  That's been their dogma; but, such has and will long be supported and maintained while the same such have "their" governance in power at the Federal level. 

 

The same "such" go batsh*t crazy when those opposing their platforms are in governance.

 

IMO, I'd rather have the governance accountable at the state level, except for those powers granted to the Federal government by the Constitution, the States or the People (i.e., defense for example) as the law currently stands.  

 

IMO, once power is ceded to the Federal government it is forever unchecked, even when and after the door was opened (let's say) for the good (i.e., excuse) of the pandemic, would result in more deaths in the long-term than the virus could ever do.

 

Here's what would die first:

 

Freedom of speech.

Freedom of the press.

Freedom of religion.

Freedom of assembly.

Right to petition the government.

 

Wait, it's looking a lot like these are already half-way in the grave, so to speak.

 

Can't wait to be in a lounger, on a sundeck, on a cruise ship with a 'cold one in hand (maybe one in the bucket of ice too).

 

 

Edited by Formula280SS
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

 

Understand the frustration, but would like to restate. 

 

The Federal government "has NO jurisdiction" over this, or many other, issues and matters under the Constitutional protections of States Rights and Powers.

 

This will continue, regardless of the source "which will now at last be put in place," under the same provisions.

 

It was not the Federal government that "washed their hands" of this responsibility, when it was proffered that it would take the lead, it was vehemently opposed (to the point of potential litigation by the largest of certain states) that it was "they" (the state) was the only government empowered to do such.  As a result, they have only made Federal recommendations and guidelines.

 

Just saying.  👍

 

So many states, now performing badly, demanded control, got it, again performed badly to date, and now invoke "it's not my fault, it's the Federal government."  

 

Agreed, federal notice for setting up vaccine distribution infrastructure went out to the states in August 2020 and allowed for sufficient time to develop and ramp up a process.  But it seems some localities still didn't believe vaccine would be approved or be available and hesitated.  

 

Tier 1A (HCWs and nursing home residents/staff) got accomplished by this week (only about one month after vaccine approval) and we are on to Tier 1B. 

 

Was supposed to be a smooth expansion for essential workers and those age >75 first, then open up gradually even more.

Then the state and counties announced Tier 1c, jumping to age >65 less than one day after the >75 year old announcement.  Now you have more chaos with a much larger portion of the population vying for vaccination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Would they require a full vaccination cycle as in both shots. Or would just having 1 vaccine and be waiting for the second one be sufficient?

 

I don't factually know.  IMO, it would make sense if vaccination is required that it would be a completed vaccination regimen for the specific vaccine one received.  IMO, they still might also layer up with newer, faster and higher rated instant testing at the terminal.  

 

I have no issues with either.  I believe that it will be "the way it will be" (won't use the term new normal for sanity sake) for quite some time (in years).

 

I see not only cruise lines being 'required (i.e., laws possibly, but likely regulations) to do such, as well as other industries and work groups.  I also see it as a really big issue for the US and states, that of requiring vaccinations (for this virus) for a wide variety of activities.  It's a matter of how hard the requirement and what the consequences are if not compliant.

 

So, although I have no problem with vaccination and testing requirements to cruise, or even for other high risk, data back transmission sources, there's a reason there is a term "slippery slope."  Will, at the federal and the 50 state levels, the taste of power, control and executive edict from past 9 months, evidence the application of such going forward not only for the vaccine and testing, but for other caused "deemed" to be similarly critical for such to continue to govern under the guise of 'doing good for the people who don't know better for themselves.

 

Again, lets get the those at the highest risk of death vaccinated and then "show us the results."  If the number of deaths in those categories is diminished demonstrably, lets move down the risk line and get everyone vaccinated that wants to or needs to for their purposes.  If the virus is then considered controlled at an acceptable level, and there are those who choose to not be vaccinated and their risk to others is also at such level, IMO it would be time to PAUSE and make more assessments before such becomes a mandate of the federal or state(s) governments.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What about children?  Will they not be allowed since there is no vaccine for them?  Or will they be allowed without one which will kind of defeat the purpose of requiring them?  So many ??  so little answers😇

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

Again, lets get the those at the highest risk of death vaccinated and then "show us the results."  If the number of deaths in those categories is diminished demonstrably, lets move down the risk line and get everyone vaccinated that wants to or needs to for their purposes. 

Problem is the current definition of a "covid death" really has nothing to do with if you died as a result of getting covid. Just that you died within 30 days (or 60 depending on the state) of getting covid. Since covid most affects the elderly and frail anyway, vaccine effectiveness tough thing to measure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, molly361 said:

What about children?  Will they not be allowed since there is no vaccine for them?  Or will they be allowed without one which will kind of defeat the purpose of requiring them?  So many ??  so little answers😇

 

Kids are barely affected by covid as it is. The flu vaccine is more important to that age group.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, molly361 said:

What about children?  Will they not be allowed since there is no vaccine for them?  Or will they be allowed without one which will kind of defeat the purpose of requiring them?  So many ??  so little answers😇

 

Great question. 

 

Although our three sons are adults, we've planned on taking the older grandkids on some appropriate cruises.  Never thought of that.

 

I guess if it is determined that, once the virus is significantly abated, and it is confirmed (reasonably) that kids are not transmission risks, IMO the pre-cruise instant test (a newer, more reliable one) would seem to make sense.

 

But, I agree there are so many questions and so little answers.

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

 

Kids are barely affected by covid as it is. The flu vaccine is more important to that age group.

 

MA was requiring the flu vaccine for all k - 12 kids by year end 2020, extended the date to February 2021 and then just cancelled that requirement because the flu season is so mild this year.  Covid numbers on the other hand have flipped and the highest number of cases in the last two weeks are in the 0 to 19 yr old group.  

 

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-response-reporting

Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently the vaccines are approved for 16+.  They are starting trials for 12+.  The main thing for the drug companies to figure out is the dosing requirements for the different age groups.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

 

Kids are barely affected by covid as it is. The flu vaccine is more important to that age group.

The issue with kids though is who they transmit the virus to. There are plenty of high risk people on cruise ships. They also bring it home to high risk relatives. There are plenty of multi generational homes. There is still much we don't know for sure. Just like we don't know if vaccinated people can transmit the virus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

 

Kids are barely affected by covid as it is. The flu vaccine is more important to that age group.

All it would take is for 1  kid to bring it onboard Just sayin!!

Edited by molly361
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The issue with kids though is who they transmit the virus to. There are plenty of high risk people on cruise ships. They also bring it home to high risk relatives. There are plenty of multi generational homes. There is still much we don't know for sure. Just like we don't know if vaccinated people can transmit the virus.

 

There have been a bunch of studies done on child transmission and the general theme is children either don't get or if they do, don't transmit it to others.

 

The flu can harm high risk people, too, but there's no drive to mandate flu vaccines on a cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

 

There have been a bunch of studies done on child transmission and the general theme is children either don't get or if they do, don't transmit it to others.

 

The flu can harm high risk people, too, but there's no drive to mandate flu vaccines on a cruise.

Funny how people equate flu and covid when it is convenient. Children do get covid. I have seen it with my own two eyes so site all the studies you want. We still don't know how contagious they are to others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Funny how people equate flu and covid when it is convenient. Children do get covid. I have seen it with my own two eyes so site all the studies you want. We still don't know how contagious they are to others.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.  If vaccines are to be required they should be required for EVERYONE

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, molly361 said:

Exactly the point I was trying to make.  If vaccines are to be required they should be required for EVERYONE

Which is fine. But then make all vaccines for airborne/aerosol infectious diseases mandatory. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

 

There have been a bunch of studies done on child transmission and the general theme is children either don't get or if they do, don't transmit it to others.

 

The flu can harm high risk people, too, but there's no drive to mandate flu vaccines on a cruise.

 

Why would they mandate the flu vaccine?  I get the flu vaccine every year, as does my DH, and we both ended up with influenza A on Anthem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Which is fine. But then make all vaccines for airborne/aerosol infectious diseases mandatory. 

Why? How many have caused pandemics? How many have caused issues like the Diamond Princess? How many are filling up ICU beds? When it comes to infectious diseases one size does not fit all. Some are more a nuisance while others are much more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

 

I don't factually know.  IMO, it would make sense if vaccination is required that it would be a completed vaccination regimen for the specific vaccine one received.  IMO, they still might also layer up with newer, faster and higher rated instant testing at the terminal.  

 

I have no issues with either.  I believe that it will be "the way it will be" (won't use the term new normal for sanity sake) for quite some time (in years).

 

I see not only cruise lines being 'required (i.e., laws possibly, but likely regulations) to do such, as well as other industries and work groups.  I also see it as a really big issue for the US and states, that of requiring vaccinations (for this virus) for a wide variety of activities.  It's a matter of how hard the requirement and what the consequences are if not compliant.

 

So, although I have no problem with vaccination and testing requirements to cruise, or even for other high risk, data back transmission sources, there's a reason there is a term "slippery slope."  Will, at the federal and the 50 state levels, the taste of power, control and executive edict from past 9 months, evidence the application of such going forward not only for the vaccine and testing, but for other caused "deemed" to be similarly critical for such to continue to govern under the guise of 'doing good for the people who don't know better for themselves.

 

Again, lets get the those at the highest risk of death vaccinated and then "show us the results."  If the number of deaths in those categories is diminished demonstrably, lets move down the risk line and get everyone vaccinated that wants to or needs to for their purposes.  If the virus is then considered controlled at an acceptable level, and there are those who choose to not be vaccinated and their risk to others is also at such level, IMO it would be time to PAUSE and make more assessments before such becomes a mandate of the federal or state(s) governments.

 

 

Well here is my big problem. The statement UK Government is making that by September all so called groupings will have had or be in a place to have the vaccine. As I am in the last group on a 12 week cycle from September my second shot could be middle of Nov/early December when we are supposed to be on either Anthem or QM2. So the second shot would be when I was on the cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Why would they mandate the flu vaccine?  I get the flu vaccine every year

I don't think they would but I think it is also understood or assumed that most people onboard have probably had it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

MA was requiring the flu vaccine for all k - 12 kids by year end 2020, extended the date to February 2021 and then just cancelled that requirement because the flu season is so mild this year.  Covid numbers on the other hand have flipped and the highest number of cases in the last two weeks are in the 0 to 19 yr old group.  

 

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-response-reporting

 

Any reasons why flu season was mild this year? Masking and social distancing maybe

Edited by John&LaLa
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...