If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

7 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Well now, it appears as though I missed the context of the question and apologize for that.  If there are people who cannot or will not be vaccinated then they shouldn’t be permitted onboard if the objective is to have a 100% vaccinated crew and pax load when the ship leaves the dock.  Expecting other people to wear masks in order to protect unvaccinated people onboard is not a reasonable expectation from my perspective.  My comment(s) about the potential need to wear a mask on a cruise ship and whether I’d choose to go still stand though....

And I agree with you. That is why I won't be cruising until masks are a thing on the past.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

As much as I think PCR thresholds should be lowered, that's not entirely what this says. It says if the test hits at a high cycle, don't immediately take that as a positive case.  Retest and/or use that in conjunction with clinical observations to determine if it should be considered  positive case.

I did not say the article said the WHO said it should be lowered. 

The part I stated at the end was a natural conclusion, that “If” the cycle rates are lowered, then the number of posit cases will be lower.  

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, absolutely.  It’s not yet known whether a vaccinated person can still carry and/or transit the novel coronavirus.  So....until that’s fleshed out I believe the requirement to wear masks will remain as a public health precaution..... it’s not about ‘fairness’!  This is why I won’t be cruising as long as there is a mask wearing requirement.

Just make everyone get vaccinated then.

10 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It doesn't seem fair to exclude families with younger kids just because kids can't get the vaccine, despite kids getting and spreading covid at 50%, if not higher, rates than adults.

Plus how often would you as a 65 yr old cruiser being spending time in close contact with a kid you don't know?

I am 72 and I can’t tell you how fair this seems to me.  No way they can allow unvaccinated kids on a cruise.  Your post about a 65 year old cruiser being in close contact with a kid sounds ridiculous.  Turn on the tv.  Everyday there is a more transmittable strain.  Why do you think so many schools are closed.  Vaccines for kids are in trials now.  They are expecting to have vaccines fir kids by the end of this year.  That is probably when cruising will resume.

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Everyone on the ship being vaccinated provides a safer environment for everyone, masked or not. It is better for the guests, better for the crew, and better for the cruise line. There should not be exceptions.

Then why not also make it mandatory to wear masks to boost that safety level even more? Maybe wear double masks as Fauci stated to be even more effective. No exceptions. Or as my state likes to remind people- stay home, stay safe. 

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I was able to get my Mom an appointment through the ridiculously complicated NH VAMS site.  It isn't until March though, so hopefully I can get her into a CVS or something before that.  My Aunt, who turned 98 on Saturday, got her vaccine ten days ago.  Unfortunately, she got Covid for her birthday.

So sorry to hear about your aunt.  Wishing her a speedy recovery.  Still no news on when my  mom can get hers.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

I am 72 and I can’t tell you how fair this seems to me.  No way they can allow unvaccinated kids on a cruise.  Your post about a 65 year old cruiser being in close contact with a kid sounds ridiculous.  Turn on the tv.  Everyday there is a more transmittable strain.  Why do you think so many schools are closed.  Vaccines for kids are in trials now.  They are expecting to have vaccines for kids by the end of this year.  That is probably when cruising will resume.

Cruising can resume without kids. Why not? In fact, adults only cruises just might be very appealing to many folks, like me. I would LOVE to cruise without kids on board, if only for a short amount of time for the vaccination to be approved for kids.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Cruising can resume without kids. Why not? In fact, adults only cruises just might be very appealing to many folks, like me. I would LOVE to cruise without kids on board, if only for a short amount of time for the vaccination to be approved for kids.

And at a reduce capacity.  It could be a win win😇

• Like 3

6 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

Then why not also make it mandatory to wear masks to boost that safety level even more? Maybe wear double masks as Fauci stated to be even more effective. No exceptions. Or as my state likes to remind people- stay home, stay safe. 

I believe the one of the assets for vaccines is to get life back to normal. If the ship is 100% vaccinated masks should not be necessary to avoid an outbreak.

If you think about it, with a defined population, shipboard life should be able to return to normal before the general population where you have no control over who is moving in and out of the environment and if they have been vaccinated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Agree. Leave the kids home with family or friends to watch them. Their time will come eventually. I have faith that children will be able to receive the vaccine in the future. They may need an adjusted dose but let's all hope children will be vaccinated.

We volunteered for the Pfizer trial, and had a conversation about whether we would volunteer our kids in the upcoming pediatric trials. The answer was a resounding "no", mostly because there won't be enough adults getting the vaccine to achieve herd immunity that way, and it makes absolutely no sense to vaccinate kids for something that is actually less dangerous to them than the flu when the adults in the equation can't be bothered to take care of themselves (some 30% of healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine! The broader US adult population is worse.).

I hope you also get your flu shots to help protect littles, though I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no.

Edited by lizzius

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I believe the one of the assets for vaccines is to get life back to normal. If the ship is 100% vaccinated masks should not be necessary to avoid an outbreak.

If you think about it, with a defined population, shipboard life should be able to return to normal before the general population where you have no control over who is moving in and out of the environment and if they have been vaccinated.

My thoughts exactly. It was just a thought in my mind but you beat me to it by putting it in writing.

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My thoughts exactly.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lizzius said:

We volunteered for the Pfizer trial, and had a conversation about whether we would volunteer our kids in the upcoming pediatric trials. The answer was a resounding "no", mostly because there won't be enough adults getting the vaccine to achieve herd immunity that way, and it makes absolutely no sense to vaccinate kids for something that is actually less dangerous to them than the flu when the adults in the equation can't be bothered to take care of themselves (some 30% of healthcare workers are refusing the vaccine! The broader US adult population is worse.).

I hope you also get your flu shots to help protect littles, though I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no.

Why should it be up to others to protect the so called littles? That’s the parents job to do and not mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Why should it be up to others to protect the so called littles? That’s the parents job to do and not mine.

So... you're demanding that children be vaccinated to protect you from a disease that they themselves are orders of magnitude less susceptible to, but wouldn't get a flu vaccine where the reverse may be true. 

Irony is dead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lizzius said:

So... you're demanding that children be vaccinated to protect you from a disease that they themselves are orders of magnitude less susceptible to, but wouldn't get a flu vaccine where the reverse may be true. 

Irony is dead.

They might be less susceptible to it, but they are definitely carriers of it. The vaccine isn’t 100% so a vaccinated person can still get it. With everyone vaccinated there is a bigger chance of not having it on a cruise. There are plenty of other vacations people with kids can take. I don’t care if they get vaccinated or not. They just can’t cruise if Royal requires it and I hope they do for everyone. Works for me. 🥂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Irony is dead.

You are assuming that I don’t get the flu shot. You know what they say about assuming. If you think you can compare the flu with covid then you need to get your head out of the sand and start paying attention to what is going on in the world. Your kids are your problem.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

You are assuming that I don’t get the flu shot. You know what they say about assuming. If you think you can compare the flu with covid then you need to get your head out of the sand and start paying attention to what is going on in the world. Your kids are your problem.

You're the one worried about contracting covid from my kids after you (presumably) have gotten yourself vaccinated. If you don't see the parallel, I can't help you.

You're the one worried about contracting covid from my kids after you (presumably) have gotten yourself vaccinated. If you don't see the parallel, I can't help you.

The bottom line is if Royal requires a vaccine for everyone including kids that’s not my problem it’s yours. Do what you want while I enjoy cruising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

The bottom line is if Royal requires a vaccine for everyone including kids that’s not my problem it’s yours. Do what you want while I enjoy cruising.

Of course that's the bottom line... No one here has any sway over what they decide to do. It is undoubtedly a question for bean-counters and underwriters. We're all here to speculate and voice opinions about situations we ultimately can't change. 

As for your parting line: you seem fun. 

Edited by lizzius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/31/2020 at 9:37 AM, koolZip said:

And congratulations to you for revealing you have no understanding of the role of government in promoting the general welfare of its citizens.

I will state, one more time, and then drop out of the discussion: The virus doesn't care what you think. It doesn't care about your opinion on masks or vaccines or for your affinity towards goal posts. It is going to do what viruses always do. It will infect and kill as long as we let it. Right now the score is approaching 400,000 dead, 20 million infected.  "Loosen up" is essentially aiding and abetting.

And I'm out...

👏 50,000 dead annually from car crashes.    Life is a risk.  Live it! [Or fear it and let it and every Chicken Little in the world dictate what you do.] 

I'm IN!!!

18 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

👏 50,000 dead annually from car crashes.    Life is a risk.  Live it! [Or fear it and let it and every Chicken Little in the world dictate what you do.] 

I'm IN!!!

425,000 dead from COVID.   I don't listen to Chicken Little or Oscar the ostrich.  I listen to the scientists and medical experts.  I'm IN with that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

425,000 dead from COVID.   I don't listen to Chicken Little or Oscar the ostrich.  I listen to the scientists and medical experts.  I'm IN with that.

Oh Yogi... still living in fear.  I'm sorry.

• Like 1