If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

My husband got his 2nd shot, (Moderna), today and I will get my 2nd shot, (Pfizer), on the 24th.  We are both looking forward to being able to dine inside, go to a movie, and see family - especially our 6 year old grandson who will be able to come for sleepovers.

We should both be clear by the middle to end of March - just around 1 year when all of this crap started for us.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:52 AM, coffeebean said:

For me, the ship is the destination

No...for us the destination is where the cruise is going, and thus the cruise is picked based on that. I would never be one who does the same cruises over and over just for the sake of cruising. So a 'cruise to nowhere' I really have little interest in. Before I'd do that I'd plan a car trip!  However, as a possible way to get the industry restarted it makes alot of sense. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
On 2/9/2021 at 2:55 PM, DCGuy64 said:

The longer things drag on, the more I worry that all international travel is doomed.

Unfortunately I've come to wonder the same thing. And yet overseas trips are being booked for even later this year already. 

58 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Be interesting to see how he feels. I've been hearing that the 2nd dose hits you considerably harder. We'll find out in a few weeks. 

We got our 2nd Moderna vaccine on Monday. My DH had no symtoms post vaccine but I had soreness in my arm, slight fever/chills/cough for 24 hours. No symptoms for either of us after that. 

5 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Be interesting to see how he feels. I've been hearing that the 2nd dose hits you considerably harder. We'll find out in a few weeks. 

Generally that is true, I had my second Moderna shot on this Monday and felt mild chills that night, fatigue, achiness and mild headache the next day.  Arm was sore for a day or so.  Could have taken tylenol (acetaminophen) but didn't.  Went to bed early and woke up at 5AM and felt fine.  

I'm working as the MD (prepared for any adverse immediate reactions) for our Covid Vaccine Clinic these past two weeks and have found no serious side effects in most.  Only mild and short lived symptoms for patients who had gotten the second vaccinations have been noted, none at all health threatening.  Oddly enough, it was mentioned by my colleagues overseeing the early vaccine clinics that anxiety attacks among the younger HCWs were the biggest deals.  Our seniors have all gotten their vaccines in stride and seem to be doing well with them.  I certainly hope this is encouraging for you all.

7 hours ago, mek said:

My husband got his 2nd shot, (Moderna), today and I will get my 2nd shot, (Pfizer), on the 24th.  We are both looking forward to being able to dine inside, go to a movie, and see family - especially our 6 year old grandson who will be able to come for sleepovers.

We should both be clear by the middle to end of March - just around 1 year when all of this crap started for us.

Best wishes to you both!

14 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We got our 2nd Moderna vaccine on Monday. My DH had no symtoms post vaccine but I had soreness in my arm, slight fever/chills/cough for 24 hours. No symptoms for either of us after that. 

Most encouraging....thanks and best of luck to you and all here who have gotten these vaccinations. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
9 hours ago, bmblob said:

I'm working as the MD 

My wife and I have been immunized with both doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

Noticed in places that people can cruise in some areas from a certain number of days after the last shot to a specific time after the last shot.  

Does this mean they feel the immunity is gone after 90 days?

If we are "immune" during a certain time period and come in contact with Covid-19 doesn't our immune system increase anti-bodies on its own?

????????????????????

3 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Noticed in places that people can cruise in some areas from a certain number of days after the last shot to a specific time after the last shot.  

There is no long term data available how long the antibodies last.  Right now they are pretty confident in at least 6 months however the CDC is being overly cautious.  Expect this 3 month number to change as more data becomes available

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Expect this 3 month number to change as more data becomes available

Thanks,

Hope so and I am sure that if they see immunity wearing off there will be booster shots developed as more and more knowledge is gathered.

Edited by boscobeans
16 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Almost 24 hours later and he is fine.  He said his arm aches around the injection site, but so far that is all.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There is no long term data available how long the antibodies last.  Right now they are pretty confident in at least 6 months however the CDC is being overly cautious.  Expect this 3 month number to change as more data becomes available

The Pfizer phase 3 trials started the end of July, so that is over 6 months. You would think by now they know for sure how the vaccines are holding up for at least that amount of time.

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

You would think

Well, it's just a little confusing when suddenly they are throwing this new 3 month guideline at us.  They have to know by now that the vaccine provides protection for longer than that because we are way past that point.

Yeah they just reported on the news here that they don't know if the vaccines will last for months, a year, years but probably a yearly booster will be needed at least for the next few years.  By the time I get vaccinated a lot of you will be going back for your yearly booster😇

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Yeah they just reported on the news here that they don't know if the vaccines will last for months, a year, years but probably a yearly booster will be needed at least for the next few years.  By the time I get vaccinated a lot of you will be going back for your yearly booster😇

A yearly booster sounds reasonable to me, but for them to say right now they don't know how long protection lasts simply doesn't ring true - they have to know it lasts at least 6 months.

2 hours ago, boscobeans said:

My wife and I have been immunized with both doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

If we are "immune" during a certain time period and come in contact with Covid-19 doesn't our immune system increase anti-bodies on its own?

????????????????????

There is no hard information/evidence at this time about how long any immunity and protection developed by the vaccines will last.  There are rare reports of individuals getting Covid-19 infection even after vaccination.  But what is generally agreed is that serious illness and hospitalization is mostly avoided for those like you and me who have gotten our 2 doses of vaccine.  It remains to be seen how this will hold up against the new variants showing up and for how long overall.  

Our "immune" status should improve (make more antibodies) as we get exposed (via vaccination or illness) to certain viruses over time.

We have to remain hopeful that these vaccinations will help control the spread of serious illness from this virus.  They seem to be well tolerated so far, but they will likely not eradicate the virus for quite some time.

8 hours ago, mek said:

Well, it's just a little confusing when suddenly they are throwing this new 3 month guideline at us.  They have to know by now that the vaccine provides protection for longer than that because we are way past that point.

The important metric is from when they hit half-enrollment... That happened in mid-to-late September Thus the date when they'll be able to infer 6 months of protection is March or April.

All of this will be complicated by the fact that the placebo arm for direct comparison is on its way to being fully unblinded, if it isn't already, so trial participants can be vaccinated. This will make efficacy calculations a bit trickier.

Edited by lizzius
22 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I'd imagine that cruises that don't require vaccinations or masks would be as popular as flights that don't require people to go through security.

Ok now that is kind of a big stretch.