Jump to content

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???


If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

954 members have voted

  1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

    • YES
      747
    • NO
      207


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BND said:

There's also data out there that shows people with O type blood are less likely to get infected.  I happen to be O-.  

 

Also, on a side note, this is really impacting the islands.  I just got a call (left message) from a jeweler we have used in St Thomas and mainly in St. Maarten just checking in on us.  They have always sent sale info but have never called us before.  They can only take so much more of this.

 

I also don't understand putting people on the ignore list.  I never understood how a complete stranger could hurt someone's feelings.  

 

I have B+, which is more protection than type A, but less than type O.

 

I use the ignore list to avoid contentious people, not because my feelings are hurt.  In all things in life, I think respect and courtesy is required.  If other people cannot show it, then I avoid them.

Edited by pcur
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pcur said:

 

I understand all about pre-existing conditions, I have from the get-go, but that's not what I'm talking about:  you are. 

 

I AM TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE GETTING INFECTED, AND THEY NEED TO PROTECT THEMSELVES. No pre-existing conditions does not stop a person from getting infected.

 

Only now, I'm not talking anymore...........................................

Younger, healthy people do not need to protect themselves as they are able to fight it off no problem if they get it. What we need to do is protect the people who are more vulnerable. Take mask use for instance, the masks don't protect the wearer, they protect everyone else from you. That's why we wear them in Canada anyway.....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Younger, healthy people do not need to protect themselves as they are able to fight it off no problem if they get it. What we need to do is protect the people who are more vulnerable. Take mask use for instance, the masks don't protect the wearer, they protect everyone else from you. That's why we wear them in Canada anyway.....

 

 

Well said... Vaccine won't be requirement to Cruise, screening and Testing will. Also Mandatory wearing Masks will for a required for short Period. 

Edited by ONECRUISER
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 9:08 PM, BND said:

Seriously? That's not arrogant, that's reality.  If you haven't had the flu, eventually you will.  I don't know anyone who hasn't ever had the flu at some point in their life.  Do you?

 

Arrogant is saying "I've never".

Although I have usually taken the flu shot yearly, I will never get the flu shot again after COVID.  I had no idea how ineffective flu shots are and that they can lead to other respiratory illnesses like COVID or pneumonia.  I’ve just decided to stay away from vaccines in general unless they are for something with a very high death rate.  

 

https://www.disabledveterans.org/2020/03/11/flu-vaccine-increases-coronavirus-risk/

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

Although I have usually taken the flu shot yearly, I will never get the flu shot again after COVID.  I had no idea how ineffective flu shots are and that they can lead to other respiratory illnesses like COVID or pneumonia.  I’ve just decided to stay away from vaccines in general unless they are for something with a very high death rate.  

 

https://www.disabledveterans.org/2020/03/11/flu-vaccine-increases-coronavirus-risk/

 

 

Did you actually read the study and the conclusions?  The study goes against what the article states and the first line of the conclusions is:  Receipt of influenza vaccination was not associated with virus interference among our population. 

 

The article links this:  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X19313647?via%3Dihub

 

And here's a Brazilian study: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200705/Research-suggests-protective-effect-of-influenza-vaccine-against-COVID-19-severity-and-mortality.aspx

 

Edited by BND
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

14 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Younger, healthy people do not need to protect themselves as they are able to fight it off no problem if they get it. What we need to do is protect the people who are more vulnerable. Take mask use for instance, the masks don't protect the wearer, they protect everyone else from you. That's why we wear them in Canada anyway.....

 

 

 

Bingo

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Yes.I see that nobody who voted no posted why they said so.

There are some people who have extreme allergies to certain medications and may be hesitant to take a vaccine for which the  side effects have not been thoroughly studied for an appreciable amount of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

Although I have usually taken the flu shot yearly, I will never get the flu shot again after COVID.  I had no idea how ineffective flu shots are and that they can lead to other respiratory illnesses like COVID or pneumonia.  I’ve just decided to stay away from vaccines in general unless they are for something with a very high death rate.  

 

https://www.disabledveterans.org/2020/03/11/flu-vaccine-increases-coronavirus-risk/

I get flu shots every year and almost every year I get the flu, 2019/2020 has been a humdinger for me Dec 3 a cold virus, Dec 22 some type of flu virus, Jan 29 some type of flu virus.  Been basically locked down since march 23 but i have to go back to work in october during wave 3.  What have i done to prepare myself - exercise, diet.  my blood pressure is now normal so if I get the Wuhan I got a fighting chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

There are some people who have extreme allergies to certain medications and may be hesitant to take a vaccine for which the  side effects have not been thoroughly studied for an appreciable amount of time.

That is a very, very, very small number of people who might be allergic to any one thing.  Any vaccine that comes out when have warnings for specific allergy issues.  Do you know how the vaccines are being made?  What I see is most people who say no are having knee jerk reactions to some headline they saw posted by non-medical sources (you know, non-scientific ones).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Newleno said:

I get flu shots every year and almost every year I get the flu, 2019/2020 has been a humdinger for me Dec 3 a cold virus, Dec 22 some type of flu virus, Jan 29 some type of flu virus.  Been basically locked down since march 23 but i have to go back to work in october during wave 3.  What have i done to prepare myself - exercise, diet.  my blood pressure is now normal so if I get the Wuhan I got a fighting chance.

I've only gotten the flu once in 23 years of getting the shot and that was this past Jan.  But, the flu I had was very, very mild so the shot did offer some protection.  Did you read the article that posted posted and the actual study?

 

Also, the Covid-19 survival rate is very high.  Something like 98% and higher than that for the population under about 75.

Edited by BND
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports since mid-July are that masks protect both the wearer and others, depending on the type of mask and the material is made from.  This is from public announcements made by Dr. Fauci, the Mayo Clinic, and UC Health.  

 

Double-layered cotton that fit snugly to the face are recommended if one doesn't wear a medical mask.

 

Dr. Fauci said in an announcement on 8/11 that the combination of masks, vaccines, hand hygiene, and social distancing can go a long way to protect people. 

 

This is from the Mayo Clinic:

 

"When we looked in the setting of Covid disease, we found that people who had prior vaccinations with a variety of vaccines -- for pneumococcus, influenza, hepatitis and others -- appeared to have a lower risk of getting Covid disease," Dr. Andrew Badley, an infectious disease specialist at Mayo Clinic".

 

Some of these vaccines are generally not given until one is 50 years of age, but I'm wondering if they aren't going to start recommending them at a younger age now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Newleno said:

I get flu shots every year and almost every year I get the flu, 2019/2020 has been a humdinger for me Dec 3 a cold virus, Dec 22 some type of flu virus, Jan 29 some type of flu virus.  Been basically locked down since march 23 but i have to go back to work in october during wave 3.  What have i done to prepare myself - exercise, diet.  my blood pressure is now normal so if I get the Wuhan I got a fighting chance.

You never know but based on the current understood timelines you could have had Covid-19 in Dec or Jan and not even known it. And of course fully recovered like the vast majority of cases. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

There are some people who have extreme allergies to certain medications and may be hesitant to take a vaccine for which the  side effects have not been thoroughly studied for an appreciable amount of time.

I have 13 serious illnesses and I do not take any medication due to side effects.I am taking my chances.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Newleno said:

I get flu shots every year and almost every year I get the flu, 2019/2020 has been a humdinger for me Dec 3 a cold virus, Dec 22 some type of flu virus, Jan 29 some type of flu virus.  Been basically locked down since march 23 but i have to go back to work in october during wave 3.  What have i done to prepare myself - exercise, diet.  my blood pressure is now normal so if I get the Wuhan I got a fighting chance.

 

Good for you.  People don't understand how much diet/exercise/water/better choices impact their health and ability to fight the virus.  

 

Wave 3?  It's just one big wave !!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chrisaus said:

I wonder if there will be any difference between rates of vaccination in the USA and rates of vaccination in the rest of the world....

Probably, but only because there are some countries that will most likely make it mandatory.  But, as for most countries, probably not.  But, don't think the US will have a lower rate based on the news.  Kind of like reports of people refusing to wear masks which is a very, very small minority, but it makes for a good story to report it as if it is more.  If you look at the poll above, you'll see almost 80% of people polled will get it (and the majority here are American's).  The fact is, I have seen other polls in the US  that show similar numbers.   The news is really skewed in this country and tends to only report things for views and shock value.  I only know a couple of people personally who said they won't get it.  I asked on my FB page who would get it a couple of months ago and the vast majority of my FB friends and family said they would get it.   People want it not just so they can cruise.  They want it so they can have their lives back.

Edited by BND
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two days ago on the UK BBC news, the head of the UK covid vaccine task force ( Kate Bingham) said they didn't think a vaccine if found against covid would give immunity, but would lessen the severity of illness if infected.
 

I think its still too early to believe that an effective vaccine will be found soon.

Everyone has their own thoughts and opinion about vaccines, this is just a different slant on the hope that some sort of vaccine will be found.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 3:48 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Yes.I see that nobody who voted no posted why they said so.

 

I will not get the vaccine until I know who conducted the trials and their results. I have a serious lung disease and even my pulmonologist is not making a recommendation on the vaccine at this point in time. I trust her explicitly  and if she is unsure and needs more data, I certainly am not rushing out the door to be the first in line.  I am one of those who takes the flu shot each year so I am not " against vaccinations"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 6:29 AM, Castaway Cowgirl said:

Although I have usually taken the flu shot yearly, I will never get the flu shot again after COVID.  I had no idea how ineffective flu shots are and that they can lead to other respiratory illnesses like COVID or pneumonia.  I’ve just decided to stay away from vaccines in general unless they are for something with a very high death rate.  

 

https://www.disabledveterans.org/2020/03/11/flu-vaccine-increases-coronavirus-risk/

 

I normally have the flu shot, but if we are still mandated to wear masks this upcoming flu season, I won't bother with the vaccination.  So many of our normal activities for the year have been canceled (doing a lot Zoom still) and we have to wear the masks wherever we go in public.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 1:46 PM, zeberdee said:

Two days ago on the UK BBC news, the head of the UK covid vaccine task force ( Kate Bingham) said they didn't think a vaccine if found against covid would give immunity, but would lessen the severity of illness if infected.
 

I think its still too early to believe that an effective vaccine will be found soon.

Everyone has their own thoughts and opinion about vaccines, this is just a different slant on the hope that some sort of vaccine will be found.

Lessening the severity of illness would mean it's effective.  Lessening the severity to basically what you'd get with a common cold which is what I saw stated in an interview recently is okay by me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

 

I will not get the vaccine until I know who conducted the trials and their results. I have a serious lung disease and even my pulmonologist is not making a recommendation on the vaccine at this point in time. I trust her explicitly  and if she is unsure and needs more data, I certainly am not rushing out the door to be the first in line.  I am one of those who takes the flu shot each year so I am not " against vaccinations"

I have a lung disease also and I have the same thoughts as you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...