Jump to content

Princess cancels through 12/15


pmatawan
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't see it as misleading since the news is being reported for a US audience who isn't likely to be planning cruises out of Australia.  I see the issue as people who aren't willing to actually read the details of the news but try to absorb it all from headlines!  (tongue in cheek)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Nor are hair salons, nail shops, bars, restaurants, or liquor stores, but they all seem to stay open. Why take the unnecessary risk of getting your hair cut?

For me all of these including cruising are essential.....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Interesting conclusion.

The article reads that all US cruises are included in that cancellation. There may be some cruises going out of other countries but a large portion of their business sails from US ports

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Nor are hair salons, nail shops, bars, restaurants, or liquor stores, but they all seem to stay open. Why take the unnecessary risk of getting your hair cut?

When they keep asking us to lock ourselves away in our homes for weeks/months at a time, liquor stores are absolutely essential!  🍸🍸🍸

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TSUmom said:

For me all of these including cruising are essential.....

 

And if you lived in New Zealand, much of the rest of the world, or even China for that matter, those services would be opening now "without" the massive body count.  They took care of the problem.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Dangerously close to having this thread locked. Let's keep to the Princess announcement and how we think NCL will follow.

That is why I refused to comment....no politics

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There have been comments about New Zealand and how well we have done.   We have a major benefit, we are a small island and were able to close our borders, almost completely to non NZers and early, and everyone who entered were"happy" to isolate, initially at home and then in hotels.

 

We are almost back to pre-Covid time conditions; the one difference is that we are not free to cross our borders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

We are almost back to pre-Covid time conditions; the one difference is that we are not free to cross our borders.

 

Why would anyone in NZ wish to do so, at this time, when you are essentially 'Covid-19 free'?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think NCL or the other cruise lines will cancel unless they are told to. I think Princess cancelled in an abundance of caution because of the bad press they got in March/April. They will play a wait and see game, see what is working and what is not and go from there. If they started sailing with everyone else and there was an outbreak on 1 of their ships or was stuck at sea like they were in April with no place to embark passengers, it would probably be the end of them. My 2 cents. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Newleno said:

I was eyeing a 46 day on princess from US to asia around the middle of Oct, I was hopeful but now things look bleak

 

46 day cruise? Wow, you are a serious cruiser! Actually, I am recently retired so I have extra time on my hands. I was (and hopefully will be again) looking at longer cruises as well (I set a 12 day minimum length) before this plague shut cruising down.

 

Yeah, things do look bleak now. Personally, I don't think cruising will be happening the middle of this Oct. I wouldn't be surprised if no cruising resumes (here from the U.S.) for the remainder of 2020. Hope I'm wrong.

 

Fingers crossed 🤞for a vaccine available to everyone by early/mid 2021 so we can all resume cruising again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

 

46 day cruise? Wow, you are a serious cruiser! Actually, I am recently retired so I have extra time on my hands. I was (and hopefully will be again) looking at longer cruises as well (I set a 12 day minimum length) before this plague shut cruising down.

We have done a 28 day Hong Kong to Vancouver, and a 30 day HNL to Syd (ending dec 1, 2019) We use to just really enjoy cruising.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

We have done a 28 day Hong Kong to Vancouver, and a 30 day HNL to Syd (ending dec 1, 2019) We use to just really enjoy cruising.  

 

Since you were eyeing a 46 day Princess cruise from U.S. to Asia, sounds like you still really enjoy cruising (not "used to"). Besides Princess, what other lines have you done these extended cruises on? (just curious).

 

My 12 day cruise minimum pales in comparison to your month + long cruises. Guess I'll have to step up my game, lol.

 

I've noticed that a lot of people here on CC are really "hard core" cruisers, with many, many cruises under their belt. I think this is great because I am of the same mindset. As I mentioned above, I am retired now so I have the time. I plan on spending much of my retired time on cruises and I'm pretty sure I would like to do long cruises, like you.

 

I love ships and I am (was) literally a sailor. Much better to be a passenger on a ship (with bars, restaurants, large theaters, etc) than to be working on one, that's for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We too love long cruises whether they are a single cruise or a number B2B....

 

When we have to travel from NZ to cruise in the northern hemisphere it would be too expensive just to to 7 or even 14 days when you add flights and hotels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, casofilia said:

When we have to travel from NZ to cruise in the northern hemisphere it would be too expensive just to to 7 or even 14 days when you add flights and hotels.

 

How about cruising out of Australia? I noticed more cruise lines are operating out of Australia (i.e. Carnival, Princess). Would it be reasonable to do shorter cruises out of Australia?

 

But, I'm with you. Longer cruises including B2B's or even B2B2B's!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

 

Since you were eyeing a 46 day Princess cruise from U.S. to Asia, sounds like you still really enjoy cruising (not "used to"). Besides Princess, what other lines have you done these extended cruises on? (just curious).

 

My 12 day cruise minimum pales in comparison to your month + long cruises. Guess I'll have to step up my game, lol.

 

I've noticed that a lot of people here on CC are really "hard core" cruisers, with many, many cruises under their belt. I think this is great because I am of the same mindset. As I mentioned above, I am retired now so I have the time. I plan on spending much of my retired time on cruises and I'm pretty sure I would like to do long cruises, like you.

 

I love ships and I am (was) literally a sailor. Much better to be a passenger on a ship (with bars, restaurants, large theaters, etc) than to be working on one, that's for sure.

NCL, Holland, Disney, Royal, Windstar, Carnival, used to be a backpacker, just so convenient to cruise only down side is the time in port, however we had two nights shanghai, tokyo, and the port closest to Beijing.  Overnights are the best.  Reposition cruising is very reasonable pricing, also off season and after holidays, cheers  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@farmersfight

 

How about cruising out of Australia?

 

Still have to get there and there are so few diffent pots you can go to.  If you do, as we have, a Round Australia cruise you have been to all of them!!

Then there is to or from NZ, we were to do that this coming summer but Covid got in the way!!!   Again one cruise does the lot.

Finally there are the Islands, again one trip does most of them!!

 

Not a lt of real choice then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Newleno said:

NCL, Holland, Disney, Royal, Windstar, Carnival, used to be a backpacker, just so convenient to cruise only down side is the time in port, however we had two nights shanghai, tokyo, and the port closest to Beijing.  Overnights are the best.  Reposition cruising is very reasonable pricing, also off season and after holidays, cheers  

 

I agree, the time cruise ships spend in ports is not very much; a matter of hours. We did a 12 day Med cruise on the Carnival Dream from/to Citavecchia, Italy. Cruise included an overnight in Venice, Italy. Then, shortly after we departed Sicily and headed NW out into the Med, bound for Barcelona, Spain, we encountered a big storm that really cranked up the wave heights on the Med. The ships was rocking pretty good at this point.

 

The Captain made the decision to cancel our port call to Barcelona. At the same time, he contacted a friend (or 2) who was (were) port authority (ies) at our next scheduled port after Barcelona -> Monaco. He struck a deal with Monaco to let our ship stay overnight an additional night. Our ship was already originally scheduled to spend 1 night in Monaco, so our port stay in Monaco was extended to 2 nights.

 

Only thing was, Monaco ended up being our least favorite stop on the cruise. Monaco is primarily known for its famous formula 1 race (which wasn't happening while we there) and a big, luxury casino (which charged $$ to just enter, so you could go lose your $$). On a positive note, from Monaco we did get to do a day trip over to neighboring Nice, France, so we added another country visited during our cruise.

 

Sorry if I've rambled on a bit (I tend to do that sometimes). Yeah, from pricing cruises, I have also noted that repositioning cruises (i.e. TAs/TPs) are usually much lower pricing, as well as off season and after holidays cruises.

 

Cheers, as well.

Edited by farmersfight
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...