NMTraveller

When will cruising restart from the US  

94 members have voted

1. 1. When will cruising restart from the US

• First quarter 2021
    • Second quarter 2021
    • Third quarter 2021 or beyond

11 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I didn't exclude the sailings outside the US (although what I have seen would offer zero interest to me).

I simply responded to the question, which is 

When will cruising restart from the US

Foreign cruising isn't even part of the equation. 

I did not write you did, I wrote many do...

6 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

I did not write you did, I wrote many do...

That is what confuses me. 

If the poll is strictly centered on cruises from the US, what would others opinion of cruising in other countries have to do with anything?   It's not germane.  

And believe me, I find ethnocentrism is the US a huge problem, but I don't see in in this context, actually.

Edited by ECCruise

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

That is what confuses me. 

If the poll is strictly centered on cruises from the US, what would others opinion of cruising in other countries have to do with anything?   It's not germane.  

And believe me, I find ethnocentrism is the US a huge problem, but I don't see in in this context, actually.

again, thinking outside the box! I wasn’t just talking about this poll!
BTW: the general headline of this topic does not say US, which can also be confusing.

Regardless of that one can find an endless number of posts where especially Americans act like the Caribbean (which seems to be considered US territory) is the only cruise destination and Americans are the only people cruising in the world. Thinking internationally is not every American‘s forte...

Maybe because I have been blessed by living a very international life, that Is something I always shake my head about. 

Anyway, enjoy your next cruise - whenever or wherever it might be!

Edited by Miaminice

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

again, thinking outside the box! I wasn’t just talking about this poll

Then I fail to see why you would be responding to this thread. We are all aware if AIDA and TUI starting up again with severely restricted criteria for boarding, including place of residence. That is immaterial to this thread. Doesn't matter if every cruise line on earth started sailing the 7 seas tomorrow- none would be out of the US, and no Americans would be allowed on board, since they wouldn't be allowed into the departure country. And the fact that there is a ship sailing from Germany, but only allowing German pax, isn't going to impress anyone except the Germans

9 hours ago, mom says said:

Then I fail to see why you would be responding to this thread. We are all aware if AIDA and TUI starting up again with severely restricted criteria for boarding, including place of residence. That is immaterial to this thread. Doesn't matter if every cruise line on earth started sailing the 7 seas tomorrow- none would be out of the US, and no Americans would be allowed on board, since they wouldn't be allowed into the departure country. And the fact that there is a ship sailing from Germany, but only allowing German pax, isn't going to impress anyone except the Germans

Yes dear ! 🙄

Just allow me to LOL about this statement: 
We are all aware if AIDA and TUI starting up again...

Good for you if you are! However, as mentioned above, all over posts here and on FB people deny the fact that there are cruises starting at all (even in Europe). 
If you are unhappy about the fact that you or Americans can´t join the cruise or keep stating the fact it´s for Germans only, too bad. It does not make it irrelevant.

First there are cruises for Germans, French, Norwegians etc. starting, and second it is irrelevant if you can go or not when you look at it in the big picture!!!! This is how things start in places where it is possible. This will most likely be the way things are going to start in the US once they are ready...

If you are one of the people who believe you can just jump on the first ship and it will be a cruise as always... good luck with that!

I am looking at the cruise industry and cruising in general! I don´t care if I can´t join a cruise in Asia, Norway or France. In Fact I would not even care to join a cruise in Germany. However, I am happy to see if and when cruises start anywhere in the world and see it as a small light at the end of the tunnel. Happy for those who can go or want to go. 
If others only think about themselves or the cruises THEY can join or not... well, I´d call that thinking in a very small box.

Anyway, you are allowed to have your opinion as much as I am allowed to have mine. 
If me adding additional and correct information to a topic is not to your liking, just scroll past it.

Have a good day!

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

Of course we are all guessing.  But I believe my January 2021 cruise will not happen.  If the vaccine is available by the end of the year, it will take many months until people do receive the vaccination.  Actually perhaps at least  another year until it is available all over the world-

We had to cancel two cruises thus far and will probably cancel 1/2021 also- our first back to back.  However, we are all well so that is really what is important now.  Princess just stopped cruising through December. 

I believe that we will have to look beyond 2021 to cruise from the US.  The logistics are truly daunting.  Shipping lines will have to restart, reprovision each ship and supply each ship with a new crew.  They will need a quick and reliable Covid test for all pax boarding the ship.  We will need a reliable and safe vaccine administered nationwide.  Pax will be reluctant to fly on an airline that is not testing.  A large number of people will be reluctant to book until they see that it is safe which will mean fewer ships sailing.  The big problem will be finding islands that will allow a ship to land.  Those islands will also need to be innoculated with the vaccine.  I fear that the early cruises will be A Cruise To Nowhere.  

22 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I had intended for it to be a general betting question.  I would not think about the details too much...  I do get your point though.  The first cruises coming out may be somewhat limited...  

I was thinking about booking a cruise at the end of May 2021.  However it looks like a wait and see approach before booking may be a better approach.  The uncertainty in the answers gave me my answer.

I do have a European river cruise mid August 2021.  I sure hope that one goes off.  It is a smaller ship so I am hoping for the best.

Some of the Wall Street bettors are putting their money on 2nd quarter of 2021.  Of course that is after they previously adjusted their estimates further out.

We have a Norway cruise Aug 2021.  I am hoping right along with you!

This is Unbelievable !!! Another thread about " When will cruising start again ".

Questions , answers, " picking apart " the wording-- be more specific, what did you mean by ?----etc, etc. 

How about a thread on -- " How's your Summer of Love going so far ??? " 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

This is Unbelievable !!! Another thread about " When will cruising start again ".

Questions , answers, " picking apart " the wording-- be more specific, what did you mean by ?----etc, etc. 

How about a thread on -- " How's your Summer of Love going so far ??? " 

Why don't you start that type thread then instead of commenting here and complaining?  :classic_smile:  Believe me, I'm just as frustrated as many people are on here.

4 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Why don't you start that type thread then instead of commenting here and complaining?  :classic_smile:  Believe me, I'm just as frustrated as many people are on here.

I'm not complaining, only commenting about the number of times the same thing has been discussed.

About the " Summer of Love "-- just a little " tongue in cheek "  comment as we are not permitted to discus politics on CC.

Lastly, I am not frustrated at all about not being able to cruise at this time and the fact that we cancelled 3 cruises.

Over the years we enjoyed every single one, met lots of nice people, and appreciated how lucky we were to have cruised. 

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I believe that we will have to look beyond 2021 to cruise from the US.  The logistics are truly daunting.  Shipping lines will have to restart, reprovision each ship and supply each ship with a new crew.  They will need a quick and reliable Covid test for all pax boarding the ship.  We will need a reliable and safe vaccine administered nationwide.  Pax will be reluctant to fly on an airline that is not testing.  A large number of people will be reluctant to book until they see that it is safe which will mean fewer ships sailing.  The big problem will be finding islands that will allow a ship to land.  Those islands will also need to be innoculated with the vaccine.  I fear that the early cruises will be A Cruise To Nowhere.  

I think that AIDA and TUI are demonstrating that you don't need to have all of those things in place to restart. Whether and to what extent they will be successful remains to be seen, of course, but they are demonstrating that cruising can take place in 2020.