Jump to content

What is your "alternate" vacation?


Recommended Posts

We happened to get back from a Las Vegas vacation at the end of February before everything shut down.  We just got back from a trip to ND to see our DS.  We rented a motor home so we could travel as safe as possible.  We made a side trip with DS to Medora, ND to see Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  Got my camping itch taken care of for a few years.  Came back and rebooked my December Carnival Mardi Gras cruise that got cancelled just before we left to October 2021 and booked a new cruise on NCL Encore for February 2022.  I'm sure we will try to get some kind of land vacation in before our October 2021 cruise but we will wait and see for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:


Haha as long as it doesn’t turn political I don’t think anyone cares. I’m actually from a small New Mexico town that is a couple hours from Tucson so I know that area very well! I haven’t ever been to a hockey game there. I really like your upbeat attitude. Thanks for shouting me out about hockey! 

 

If you're ever visiting your old home town in NM, you can make the relatively short drive over to Phoenix and catch an Arizona Coyotes game. Oh wait, you don't need to -  Seattle residents will be "releasing the Kraken" in a year or so, so you'll be able to attend a hockey game right where you live.

 

Thank you for commenting on my upbeat attitude. In these trying COVID times, I think we all need to try and have an upbeat attitude. Your welcome for the shout out about the Kraken (still not sure if I like that name though. It'll probably grow on me).

 

Be well and stay safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

 

 

 

Another NHL hockey fan (here I go again...).  Living in west Florida, are you a Tampa Bay Lighting fan? Great team...I hope they win the Stanley Cup in this abbreviated NHL season.

 

Yep, I discovered ice hockey in Florida and the Lightning is my team. So much fun to watch. Go Bolts!! I love them just as much as I love Norwegian cruises, and it's been hard missing them both. Thanks for your good wishes on the Stanley Cup; the team is ready and wouldn't it be great to hoist hockey's trophy over the warm waters of Tampa  Bay. 

 

As for the pre-game show it's difficult to compete with the Golden Knights in Vegas; they feature showgirls and drummers and swords and such. But Tampa Bay has stormy weather in the pre-game show with lots of thunder and lightning to make the fans feel at home.

 

Really, the Lightning are the fan favorite team in Tampa Bay (every game a sellout) or at least they were before the Bucs brought in Tom Brady and The Gronk. What a year for us! If only the virus will allow the games to go on. And allow us to cruise again too. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently on version 4 of this years vacation but I’m not complaining. Was originally booked on the October transatlantic from Southampton. Then I booked Vegas/Zion/Grand Canyon but the border closure put an end to that (I’m in Canada). Planned on renting a motorhome and driving cross country but now that’s not advisable either so the current plan is to enjoy my home province of B.C. and do a road trip here.

 

Have a new cruise booked for January 2023 from Cape Town and can’t wait to go cruising again when it’s safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eggs2Go said:

 

Yep, I discovered ice hockey in Florida and the Lightning is my team. So much fun to watch. Go Bolts!! I love them just as much as I love Norwegian cruises, and it's been hard missing them both. Thanks for your good wishes on the Stanley Cup; the team is ready and wouldn't it be great to hoist hockey's trophy over the warm waters of Tampa  Bay. 

 

As for the pre-game show it's difficult to compete with the Golden Knights in Vegas; they feature showgirls and drummers and swords and such. But Tampa Bay has stormy weather in the pre-game show with lots of thunder and lightning to make the fans feel at home.

 

Really, the Lightning are the fan favorite team in Tampa Bay (every game a sellout) or at least they were before the Bucs brought in Tom Brady and The Gronk. What a year for us! If only the virus will allow the games to go on. And allow us to cruise again too. 

 

 

 

I grew up in Hialeah (near Miami) back in the day, way before the Florida Panthers were there. For NHL hockey  (& NBA basketball & MLB baseball) in Florida, I just grew up during the wrong period of time (too soon). But, I was near Miami when the Dolphins were at their best - 17-0 undefeated season + Super Bowl champs in 1972 and another Super Bowl championship the next year 1973. My dad bought me season tickets to the Dolphins so I was fortunate to be there (Orange Bowl) for every home game during the undefeated '72 season.

 

I'm not surprised about the pre-game shows the Golden Knights put on. I've been to Las Vegas once and yeah, they do have the ultimate in shows. So, it's par for the course for the NHL hockey team to put on top-notch, entertaining and elaborate shows. I think the whole NHL experience (including the game itself) there in Vegas is treated as one big show. The bar is set high there in Vegas for sure.

 

Glad to see that the Lightning are thriving down there in Florida (sell outs every game). I'm sure it didn't hurt that the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in the 2003-04 deason (btw, the southernmost team to ever win it). Looks like the NHL made a smart move by expanding and putting 2 hockey teams in Florida. Same applies to the Arizona Coyotes...who would've thought you could play ice hockey in the desert, lol.

 

I'm glad for you with the Bucs signing Tom Brady & Gronk. That duo will sell a few tickets. I'm also happy they finally broke up the Patriots - their constant winning every year was getting old and boring, lol.

 

Guess with your recent move from St. Pete down to Naples, you'll have a little bit of a road trip to see your Lightning (and now Bucs) up in Tampa. Looks like the NFL will be playing games this  year but there has been some conflicting reports on whether fans will be in attendance. I thought I saw where NY (Giants & Jets) wasn't going to allow fans but then I saw a report where the NFL was going to require all attending fans to wear masks. Oh well, either way, at least there will be NFL football this season the games will be televised.

 

Take care and stay well & healthy. Again, I apologize to CC members reading this thread about the long rant about the NHL and other sports. I couldn't help myself 😳.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When we don't cruise we typically visit National Parks and rent a vacation home as a base.  South Dakota Black Hills and Yellowstone usually but not always.

 

However with social distancing, state travel restrictions, and virus prevention measures making travel increasingly difficult we are staying home and working on some long overdue projects and renovations.  Being that staying at home  may be required for nearly another year it would wasteful not to take the time to buckle down and knock out some long standing  items.

 

Normally we work so much that when we have time off we just want to cruise and have everything taken care of for is and not worry.  But our vacation time policy is use it or lose it so staycation it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I’ve always extended my cruises with land travel.     So next month hopefully the Alaska door will still be open I’m open ended for about 2 weeks.     September.  If Hawaii-  drops the  quarantine  10 days +.  
 

I have very tentative plans for London and Barcelona end of October-    But border likely to remain closed.    99%.  Likely my NCL Star-   End of November-  from Lisbon will NOT go.    
 

Then. WHO knows???🤩🤩🤩

 

Queen - which parts of Alaska are you hoping to see?

Some parts are seeing flares - not #'s like other places - but high #'s for AK & they size of the community...

Will you be driving?
If yest - there are definitely great rates out there for just about everything this year!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Roger88 said:

My alternate vacation would be going to Dubai in January and stay there for a month or two. Just to stay away from all these problems. Enjoy the sea, eat some good foods.. relax in the appartment under the AC. Cruising shouldnt be the only option really. There are way too many ways to choose from of how to spend your holiday

Seems like you guys on this thread ignore Roger the same we do on the P&O thread. Anyone know how to shut him up?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Von & John said:

 

Queen - which parts of Alaska are you hoping to see?

Some parts are seeing flares - not #'s like other places - but high #'s for AK & they size of the community...

Will you be driving?
If yest - there are definitely great rates out there for just about everything this year!

 

On 7/23/2020 at 1:23 PM, Budget Queen said:

I’ve always extended my cruises with land travel.     So next month hopefully the Alaska door will still be open I’m open ended for about 2 weeks.     September.  If Hawaii-  drops the  quarantine  10 days +.  
 

I have very tentative plans for London and Barcelona end of October-    But border likely to remain closed.    99%.  Likely my NCL Star-   End of November-  from Lisbon will NOT go.    
 

Then. WHO knows???🤩🤩🤩

Wow  --  just got back on CC & realized I didn't proof my original response, prior to submitting...

Should have been:

Queen - which parts of AK are you planning on visiting?

Some areas are experiencing C-19 flares.

Not like many spots in the Lower 48 - but high #'s for AK & the size of their community...

Will you be driving?

If yes - there are great specials to be had in many regions this year!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Von & John said:

 

Wow  --  just got back on CC & realized I didn't proof my original response, prior to submitting...

Should have been:

Queen - which parts of AK are you planning on visiting?

Some areas are experiencing C-19 flares.

Not like many spots in the Lower 48 - but high #'s for AK & the size of their community...

Will you be driving?

If yes - there are great specials to be had in many regions this year!

That's what I'm concerned about.    I'm not going to be surprised,  if your terms change for entry.   Yes,  I drive-  will have both a car and RV.   I actually will be making a stop in Talkeetna,  as my nephew is joining me,  at the end of August and has never been there.   I have been to your lovely area-  multiple times,  and had several looks at Mayor Stubbs.    🙂 🙂     Has there been any "election" for a new "official"?       🙂 🙂 🙂   

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

That's what I'm concerned about.    I'm not going to be surprised,  if your terms change for entry.   Yes,  I drive-  will have both a car and RV.   I actually will be making a stop in Talkeetna,  as my nephew is joining me,  at the end of August and has never been there.   I have been to your lovely area-  multiple times,  and had several looks at Mayor Stubbs.    🙂 🙂     Has there been any "election" for a new "official"?       🙂 🙂 🙂   

 

Queen - Are you planning on driving up through Canada or renting here?

I don't believe Canada is allowing drive-through's, except for AK Residents - although I may be mistaken.

We are very partial to Talkeetna, as you can imagine 🙂

No replacement Mayor for Stubbs...

Great pricing on Mahay's Jet Boats, Lodging & possibly the Zipline, ATV Tours, Dogsledding & much more this year...


The main hot-spots, at this time, are Kenai Peninsula & Anchorage.  Although Anchorage is to be anticipated, with 40% of the population of Alaska compressed into the Municipality...

We've also seen hot-spots w/in the Seafood Processing Industry - both vessel & land-based.

Are you hoping to plan in advance or as you go?

Wishing you a FABULOUS Trip!!!

Edited by Von & John
Link to post
Share on other sites

All-inclusive cabin in the north Georgia mountains.  Full kitchen, satellite HDTV, pool table, hot tub on the deck overlooking the forest, barbecue grill, etc.  No neighbors, no worries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Von & John said:

 

Queen - Are you planning on driving up through Canada or renting here?

I don't believe Canada is allowing drive-through's, except for AK Residents - although I may be mistaken.

We are very partial to Talkeetna, as you can imagine 🙂

No replacement Mayor for Stubbs...

Great pricing on Mahay's Jet Boats, Lodging & possibly the Zipline, ATV Tours, Dogsledding & much more this year...


The main hot-spots, at this time, are Kenai Peninsula & Anchorage.  Although Anchorage is to be anticipated, with 40% of the population of Alaska compressed into the Municipality...

We've also seen hot-spots w/in the Seafood Processing Industry - both vessel & land-based.

Are you hoping to plan in advance or as you go?

Wishing you a FABULOUS Trip!!!

I’m flying in.   I have only Denali reserved.   I’ll book only slightly ahead.   Spending time in Homer,  Mat Su,  Denali and Seward.   Subject to change.  🤩🤩.    I’m open coming home.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to lack of staff i won`t be able to get vacation until end of september. SO far i didn`t have any vacation this year.(due to Covid-19 all planned holidays were cancelled)

Currently i am thinking of either doing a small roadtrip through the own country(germany).It would be a great way to get to know the own countries most beautiful places without many other tourists.

As an alternative i`m thinking about some trip to Scandinavia(Norway oder FInland), Estonia or Iceland.

I haven`t decided yet.Depends a bit on when exactly i get vacation and how much the stuff will cost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GA Dave said:

All-inclusive cabin in the north Georgia mountains.  Full kitchen, satellite HDTV, pool table, hot tub on the deck overlooking the forest, barbecue grill, etc.  No neighbors, no worries.

 

And remember, you also have that upcoming cruise on your rowboat (with the Unlimited Beverage Package).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 1:31 PM, spanishguy1970 said:

cottage by a lake. My family has a Cottage in Nova Scotia, they've had it for over 30 years but since Canada is not open yet who knows.

 

Nova Scotia isn't even open to most of the rest of Canada:-). Which is where we'd be heading if we could. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

 

And remember, you also have that upcoming cruise on your rowboat (with the Unlimited Beverage Package).

Believe me, that cabin will be very well stocked with adult beverages!  🥂🧉

Link to post
Share on other sites

How is this?   RV rental to Utah’s Mighty 5 National Parks.   Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonland.  We had this planned anyway for next May, but will Now drive to Vegas instead of flying to pick up RV.  If anyone had any tips or comments please share.  
 

We should be on a Baltic cruise now, oh well.  
 

I like the row boat idea with the Beverage Package. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For us, it's trips in our RV to places that we know we can maintain social distancing. Won't go anywhere that we're not certain we can keep our distance from other people.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...