Masks on Ships

Pickels

54 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Thank you for taking the time to clarify your posts.  Here in Canada, specifically in our province, mask wearing has been mandated and we wear one whenever we leave our home and we appreciate that everyone else does the same.  However, wearing a mask on a cruise, or any vacation for that matter, is just not for us.  If some of you feel differently, then by all means enjoy your cruise.  We prefer to wait until we feel comfortable, without having the restrictions of mask wearing.  Pretty much everything else we’ll adjust to it.

I really think that jg51, our cc member, has been treated unfairly.  Lately I’ve noticed  a growing trend on these boards to lash out at those with whom we disagree to the point of being rude.  Please stop these attacks on our fellow members.  We’re supposed to use these boards as a means of obtaining information and sharing our views while respecting others.  I’ve learned not to engage in conversation with certain members and I just leave when things get heated.  Please, let’s get back to civility and kindness and then we can all enjoy these discussions as these boards were meant to.

Voting  YES  for Civility

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jg51 said:

Please add other factors and thoughts, if you wish.

21 hours ago, jg51 said:

Our belief that there is insufficient Oxygen taken in came, not from hearing/reading any comment from another person, but from our very first experience wearing a mask for sixty minutes: Oxygen deprivation and excess Carbon Dioxide caused a headache.

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

It's because we were unjustifiably attacked by numerous CrCr members later yesterday or today -- folks who FAILED to read CALMLY and CAREFULLY what we stated.  Some people NEED TO HAVE THINGS SHOUTED AT THEM, so that they can hear the facts and think like adults, the second time around! 

[Well, come to think of it ... we will mention just one prevalent error -- namely, the multiple, utterly incorrect references to our seven points (criticizing masks) as being "subjective." 

Upon the invitation extended in your first post, several people responded by commenting on your points. While the posts generally expressed disagreement with your position, this is a far cry from you having been "unjustifiably attacked".

You state that all of your points are based on objective facts. Yet in the second post, for example, you clearly admit that you formed your opinion on oxygen deprivation based on a limited sixty-minute personal experience. Given the extensive evidence to the contrary, most people would classify this as a clear example of a subjective opinion, one that you have every right to hold, but don't be surprised or offended if others disagree. 

• Like 7

Did I miss a lot of posts that were removed?? I read jg51 and Lady Arwin posts and the responses to them and I haven’t seen insulting attacks. I’ve seen posts pointing out that there is a difference between opinion and fact, and what someone is comfortable with and what is needed to protect our communities. 

If you won’t wear a mask....stay home. I think I put in my initial post that personally, I’m not going on a cruise that requires wearing a mask in public areas.....not because I dont’ think it should be required, but because I’m not going to pay for a cruise and spend the majority of time in my SR or walk around in a mask. I’d do that if I chose to cruise, but I’ll wait. 

There is a big difference between stating that and going on and on about how masks hurt my ears. To be quite straightforward, no one cares what the ‘issues’ someone has with wearing a mask. My mother-in-law complained that seat belts put wrinkles in her blouses....I explained to her it was better than having her brain matter splattered all over her blouse. You can guess how well that went over!!

And even if you think you need to stress some word or phrase or sentence, most of us quit reading when someone throws capital letters into their post. Put ‘Quotes’ around it or start it with a Capital Letter or whatever. 

enough. I’m sitting here sipping a Nice (Capital letter because it Is Nice!) Chardonnay and relaxing. But I do I do I do wish I was on the Eclipse enjoying it!!

Den

• Like 4

Well I spent some time reading this thread and put some likes on comments I agree with. Like others on this thread I will "choose" not to go on a cruise if a mask is required. Not because I can't breathe with one on, or any number of other real or imagined problems with a mask. I don't enjoy wearing a mask and do not choose to pay for a vacation where I am required to wear something I find unpleasant. I do wear a mask when required or social distancing is not possible, it's the right thing to do.

Be well everyone.

• Like 11

The first cruise of Mein Schiff 2 left Hamburg six hours ago. Everything went like they planed so far. The newest information I got from Tui- Cruises prior my own boarding on monday afternoon was that no Buffets are allowed- well that was to expect- and is not relevant for me- since I don´t use Buffets anymore. That picture was in the press this morning- only four persons allowed in the Lifts:

grafik.png.be2cb532fac37ae58d1695480131d654.png

Now I hope everything on this first voyage which started yesterday goes well- so I can board on monday. I really look forward to three sea days and an almost brand new ship.

I can totaly understand that some don´t like to go on a cruise vacation when wearing a mask is requiered. I learned also from my last letter from Tui Cruises that Masks are mandatory when walking the corridors of the ship- or when walking around the ship. Lounge chairs are kept 3 meters appart from each other. The ship is sailing with 1200 passenger instead of 3100- so social distancing is much easier.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2020 at 7:34 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

The medical folks in England are now saying that those with lung problems (COPD, Asthma) should not wear masks.   Guess we know the passengers who will be excluded from cruising in the near future. However, if you have trouble breathing while wearing a mask, the mask is the least of your issues.   You should not be I’m public as you can still spread the disease.    We have a friend with lung problems who uses oxygen.   He wears a mask but is getting oxygen through a cylinder underneath the mask.

DH has had chronic asthma since a young child and is the first to put on his N95 mask (he had these in stock pre-pandemic for when he works around the house).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

DH has had chronic asthma since a young child and is the first to put on his N95 mask (he had these in stock pre-pandemic for when he works around the house).

In your case, you should be listed under the category of "you should never cruise under the current environment."  You are at a very high risk, so cruise at your own risk, mask or no mask.  Just my opinion.  🍷

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I spent some time reading this thread and put some likes on comments I agree with. Like others on this thread I will "choose" not to go on a cruise if a mask is required. Not because I can't breathe with one on, or any number of other real or imagined problems with a mask. I don't enjoy wearing a mask and do not choose to pay for a vacation where I am required to wear something I find unpleasant. I do wear a mask when required or social distancing is not possible, it's the right thing to do.

Be well everyone.

That’s pretty much us as well, we have no interest in spending thousands of pounds for a holiday only to have to wear a mask. While that is in place we won’t be cruising.

• Like 3

On 7/23/2020 at 7:34 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

The medical folks in England are now saying that those with lung problems (COPD, Asthma) should not wear masks.   Guess we know the passengers who will be excluded from cruising in the near future. However, if you have trouble breathing while wearing a mask, the mask is the least of your issues.   You should not be I’m public as you can still spread the disease.    We have a friend with lung problems who uses oxygen.   He wears a mask but is getting oxygen through a cylinder underneath the mask.

To be specific, they say don't wear a mask ONLY if you have trouble breathing with COPD or Asthma.

I suffer from both COPD and emphysema and have absolutely no problem wearing a mask for the 30 or 45 minutes it takes to go to the store.   Or actually, to hike an hour on mountain trails.  There is no blanket dispensation for those with lung ailments. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

The first cruise of Mein Schiff 2 left Hamburg six hours ago. Everything went like they planed so far. The newest information I got from Tui- Cruises prior my own boarding on monday afternoon was that no Buffets are allowed- well that was to expect- and is not relevant for me- since I don´t use Buffets anymore. That picture was in the press this morning- only four persons allowed in the Lifts:

grafik.png.be2cb532fac37ae58d1695480131d654.png

Now I hope everything on this first voyage which started yesterday goes well- so I can board on monday. I really look forward to three sea days and an almost brand new ship.

I can totaly understand that some don´t like to go on a cruise vacation when wearing a mask is requiered. I learned also from my last letter from Tui Cruises that Masks are mandatory when walking the corridors of the ship- or when walking around the ship. Lounge chairs are kept 3 meters appart from each other. The ship is sailing with 1200 passenger instead of 3100- so social distancing is much easier.

Out of interest,,what is the cost (pppd) of these cruises compared to pre Covid-19?

Will not cruise if a mask required, let alone all the other restrictions that will likely accompany cruising during the virus.

The entire notion of being tested at the dock and potential to be turned away - not.  This element of cruising hit home for me. I heard about the Nascar champ Jimmie Johnson's situation. He tests + for temperature one day, has to stop racing. Two days later he is tested, negative, and the next 3 days, negative. He does not have the virus and commenced racing.

If Jimmie was at the dock to board on that one day, he would have been turned away. No way will I participate in such a scenario having invested many thousand's of $.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Out of interest,,what is the cost (pppd) of these cruises compared to pre Covid-19?

it was actually pretty reasonable. 
Starting from Euro 599, some 699... remember it’s balcony staterooms (and suites) only and TUI is all inclusive. Also including gratuities.

Details can be found on the TUI website: https://www.tuicruises.com/blauereisen

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Be well everyone.

THANK YOU for this (well written) post !  I agree......

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wine-O said:

In your case, you should be listed under the category of "you should never cruise under the current environment."  You are at a very high risk, so cruise at your own risk, mask or no mask.  Just my opinion.  🍷

I was responding to whether we would wear a mask - NOT whether we would cruise under the current environment. 

We will cruise again, when we feel (and our government permits) it is safe to travel. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Be well everyone.

Blackduck my feelings exactly.  It is one thing to wear a mask to a grocery store or wherever it is required.  I happily do so even though I would prefer not to.  My dw is claustrophobic and really does not like to wear a mask other than for short times.  So if we have to pay for a nice cruise or any other vacation where we need to wear masks for substantial periods of time- we just would no go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

To be specific, they say don't wear a mask ONLY if you have trouble breathing with COPD or Asthma.

I suffer from both COPD and emphysema and have absolutely no problem wearing a mask for the 30 or 45 minutes it takes to go to the store.   Or actually, to hike an hour on mountain trails.  There is no blanket dispensation for those with lung ailments. 

100%

"There is no blanket dispensation for those with lung ailments."

18 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Correction is fine and certainly appreciated if it’s done respectfully.  Some folks need to correct their tone.

It is often difficult to determine a 'tone' in the written word without the context of facial expression and body language.  I agree some 'tones' are clear, but often I think people get hypersensitive and assume bad intent that was not there.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

It is one thing to wear a mask to a grocery store or wherever it is required.  I happily do so even though I would prefer not to.  My dw is claustrophobic and really does not like to wear a mask other than for short times.  So if we have to pay for a nice cruise or any other vacation where we need to wear masks for substantial periods of time- we just would no go.

This.  I can't imagine wearing masks for a long period on a cruise.  They are just uncomfortable.  The interaction between you and your fellow guests and servers is muffled, etc.

On my last vacation two weeks ago the servers were wearing scarves as they are more comfortable,  however not nearly as effective.

Edited by NMTraveller

Unfortunately, masks are probably the new normal.    I fully expect we will see another virus come out of China or any other area with live markets.   We have quite a collection of masks at home as we have been wearing them since 4/1.    I would not mind wearing them when boarding or transiting from our cabin to another venue.   Obviously you can’t wear the when eating or drinking.    It will be interesting to hear how the first large cruise ship sailing goes.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I simply cannot believe that cruise ships will sail again with a REQUIREMENT of wearing a mask !! 

What kind of a vacation would that be ?? 

(Just my 2 cents) 

You can be almost guaranteed they will require it. 

Like Disney World. Universal. Restaurants worldwide except when eating. 

Theaters. Shops. Pubs. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Miaminice said:

it was actually pretty reasonable. 
Starting from Euro 599, some 699... remember it’s balcony staterooms (and suites) only and TUI is all inclusive. Also including gratuities.

Details can be found on the TUI website: https://www.tuicruises.com/blauereisen

Thank you.

That is reasonable especially if it includes AI.

7 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

I was responding to whether we would wear a mask - NOT whether we would cruise under the current environment. 

We will cruise again, when we feel (and our government permits) it is safe to travel. 

I agree with you 100%

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I simply cannot believe that cruise ships will sail again with a REQUIREMENT of wearing a mask !! 

What kind of a vacation would that be ?? 

(Just my 2 cents) 

Why wouldn't they require it? I know exactly what you're saying though - not really my idea of being on any sort of vacation but....it is what it is, as the saying goes. The bigger problem could well be people simply disregarding such a 'requirement' - very likely to happen, especially after a few drinks in the bar or lounge. 

• Like 1