Where are HAL ships? Tied up? I sincerely hope, being readied to sail again ASAP?

sail7seas

If you look around the board, there are threads on the locations. Essentially, some are in Indonesia and the Philippines area, some were floating around off Central America, and the 4 just sold are moving to the Cyprus area, it appears, where they will eventually transfer to their new owners.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Are some  (any) in drydock in Bahamas?    in Europe?

Here they are!  Some in place (Europe/Central America) and some still on the move.   

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 9.21.19 PM.png

Edited by cruzingnut
  • Like 1

Just read "The Daily for (day and date)", which is posted every day. The list of where the ships are, including the freighter transporting the luggage from the Amsterdam's World Cruise is there. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing that  info,  Linda R.

I am sooo  hopeful I'll have the  chance to sail  Maasdam and Noordam at least one more cruise.    We sailed Maasdam so many cruises and my mind overflows with  the most wonderful memories ,  mostly of the wonderful crews/people   I always attach to Maasdam,

Noordam is such a very special ship.

HAL.

Before you part with those blue hulled beauties,  Please bring them to Boston for sailings to Caribbean.      And/or Canada/ NE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@sail7seas   wrote : "I am sooo  hopeful I'll have the  chance to sail  Maasdam and Noordam at least one more cruise.    We sailed Maasdam so many cruises and my mind overflows with  the most wonderful memories ,  mostly of the wonderful crews/people   I always attach to Maasdam,"

Unfortunately, you won't be sailing the Maasdam since she is one of the 4 sold along with Veendam, Amsterdam and Rotterdam.  I missed her location on my map; she's off Cyprus with the Veendam.

Linda R.

5 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Thank you for sharing that  info,  Linda R.

I am sooo  hopeful I'll have the  chance to sail  Maasdam and Noordam at least one more cruise.    We sailed Maasdam so many cruises and my mind overflows with  the most wonderful memories ,  mostly of the wonderful crews/people   I always attach to Maasdam,

Noordam is such a very special ship.

HAL.

Before you part with those blue hulled beauties,  Please bring them to Boston for sailings to Caribbean.      And/or Canada/ NE

We feel we were very lucky to have had one last cruise on board the lovely Maasdam, disembarking in Auckland on 3rd February..

Sad that she has been sold.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

@sail7seas   wrote : "I am sooo  hopeful I'll have the  chance to sail  Maasdam and Noordam at least one more cruise.    We sailed Maasdam so many cruises and my mind overflows with  the most wonderful memories ,  mostly of the wonderful crews/people   I always attach to Maasdam,"

Unfortunately, you won't be sailing the Maasdam since she is one of the 4 sold along with Veendam, Amsterdam and Rotterdam.  I missed her location on my map; she's off Cyprus with the Veendam.

Linda R.

I'll happily wave bye bye to Veendam.  HAL should have sold her off years ago,  IMO

WHO is to be the new owner of Maasdam?

Edited by sail7seas

46 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I'll happily wave bye bye to Veendam.  HAL should have sold her off years ago,  IMO

Fred Olsen Lines

3 hours ago, sail7seas said:

We don't know yet who bought the Veendam and Maasdam.  Fred Olson bought Amsterdam and Rotterdam. 

Linda R.

• Like 2

As to when and how fast the ships will be sailing again, I think that getting crew on board again (hotel department), will be as much challenging as it has been to get them off, so setting sail fast is not an option! Since all of them are at sea (anchor or other wise), there will also be maintenance that cannot be done at sea that has to be done before sailing, so.....

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 10:00 PM, sail7seas said:

hopeful I'll have the  chance to sail  Maasdam

Sail, I understand your attachment to the Maasdam.  She was a pleasant vessel on which to sail when I did so.

I felt the same way when Rotterdam V was removed from the fleet.  Three cruises, with my first two being on her (in fact, my 2nd cruise would have sailed on July 27, 1971, just a few days from now with my Mother on her first cruise (with others to come) and with my Brother on his only cruise.)

There is a "hurt" in one's heart when such a distressing realization exists.  

The Sun will still rise in the morning and we can hope for better days--better cruising days--ahead.  

• Like 2

Somewhere on these boards, a poster reminded us that just because these ships have been sold, doesn't meant they won't be sailing. Holland America can lease them back. It's a common practice. Airlines do it also. 

19 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

Somewhere on these boards, a poster reminded us that just because these ships have been sold, doesn't meant they won't be sailing. Holland America can lease them back. It's a common practice. Airlines do it also. 

Not this time.  The times demand a fleet reduction.

Roy

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

We know that Fred Olsen, at least, is keen to start using Rotterdam and Amsterdam (or whatever their new names are) in their fleet, so no real chance of that -- at least not with those two...

The Veendam was a nice ship until HAL messed it up a few years ago.  They should have left the AFT pool on the navigation deck. When it came back--no AFT POOL and the Navigation deck and the Lido deck overhung.  It was horrible.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Himself said:

The Veendam was a nice ship until HAL messed it up a few years ago.  

Unfortunately, the writing was on the wall for small ships then?  What was Signature of Excellence about?  Yes, some routine refurbishment and re-branding / re-purposing of public spaces (remember The Mix?), but a good chunk of that capital was for removing pool tanks, and putting cabins beneath those spaces to increase pax capacity.    Veendam went from 1258 to 1350 pax capacity, without materially changing its cost to operate.    

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/destinations/caribbean/veendam-dry-dock-update-march-30-2009/

Scott. 

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

We know that Fred Olsen, at least, is keen to start using Rotterdam and Amsterdam (or whatever their new names are) in their fleet, so no real chance of that -- at least not with those two...

Ms Bolette and Ms. Borealis..

4 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Unfortunately, the writing was on the wall for small ships then?  What was Signature of Excellence about?  Yes, some routine refurbishment and re-branding / re-purposing of public spaces (remember The Mix?), but a good chunk of that capital was for removing pool tanks, and putting cabins beneath those spaces to increase pax capacity.    Veendam went from 1258 to 1350 pax capacity, without materially changing its cost to operate.    

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/destinations/caribbean/veendam-dry-dock-update-march-30-2009/

Scott. 

HAL saw th disaster and did not touch the other S Class ships.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Himself said:

HAL saw th disaster and did not touch the other S Class ships.

Or the other R Class ships after the Rotterdam.  I have said this before and I seriously mean it, whomever came up with those ideas to modify those ships in the way they did should have become unemployed by HAL.  If they still are unemployed, my local McDonald's are looking for employees.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My heart hurts with the sale of Rotterdam.  We did our 40th anniversary on her sailing the south Pacific in 2011 and again sailed her to the Mediterranean for our 45th anniversary in 2016.  She won't be there for our 50th.  We will be on the Volendam if we are even allowed to cruise then.  It is so sad to see these wonderful ships with their style and elegance leave.  I sailed the Koningsdam once.  That was enough for me.  Beautiful ship, but lacking in both elegance and style, also way too many people.  Just too crowded...  Oh well, life moves on....

• Like 2