Cruise Critic Community
macmax

RCCL & NCL introducing Muster 2.0

Posted (edited)

Royal Caribbean Group & Norwegian Holdings are introducing Muster 2.0 which eliminates the need for all pax to muster at their assigned stations at the same time.

It seems like a great improvement to me and hopefully PCL etc will follow suit.

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1457/royal-caribbean-group-reinvents-cruise-industrys-safety-drill/

Muster_FAQs.pdf

Edited by macmax

Under the circumstances what else could they do.    I still believe for first time cruisers   having to go to the muster station is  still the best practice .    For the rest of us who have done this 40 or 50 times it's a great alternative. 

I can see this being the future but, I personally want to see (in person) whom I might be sharing a life raft with. 😄

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

I can see this being the future but, I personally want to see (in person) whom I might be sharing a life raft with. 😄

In the event you had to get on a life boat as the ship sinks, it will be anything but orderly.  When the ship starts to sink, do you really think there is going to be a lot of coordination and assistance?  Just look at the captain of the Concordia.  He jumped off and the ship did not even sink!  You would think he would have stayed on to make sure everyone was safe, but no, apparently human nature took over.  Such a sad affair so many died following their so called safety procedures.

I think this is good. Sure, there'll be some people who won't pay any attention to any of the available info, but a lot of people never paid any attention in the old style muster drills. I wonder if this new mode will fulfill legal requirements.

Under the circumstances what else could they do.    I still believe for first time cruisers   having to go to the muster station is  still the best practice .    For the rest of us who have done this 40 or 50 times it's a great alternative. 

I believe you still have to goto the Muster station location and show the proof that you finished watching the videos. Sounds like an excellent option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw that and most likely the result of the current pandemic.  RCCL and NCL are collaborating on ways to make cruising safe and stop the spread of covid.  Whether Carnival Group ships will adhere to it or something different remains to be seen.  

One still has to go to their muster station after viewing the briefing for further instructions.  The key is that everyone does not have to go at the same time or sit and listen to the briefing.  I remember having to take our life preservers to the briefing and on other lines standing outside on the promenade in the hot sun to listen and view the mandatory briefing.  

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

In the event you had to get on a life boat as the ship sinks, it will be anything but orderly.  When the ship starts to sink, do you really think there is going to be a lot of coordination and assistance?  Just look at the captain of the Concordia.  He jumped off and the ship did not even sink! 

I thought he fell, and fortuitously a lifeboat caught him...

"Costa Concordia captain didn't fall, but jumped into lifeboat, crew member testifies"

https://www.cnn.com/2013/11/12/world/europe/italy-costa-concordia/index.html

Edited by Roberto256

Apparently the crew didn’t help much either, so don’t expect much help god forbid if a cruise ship starts to sink

Some of the 4,200 passengers and crew members who were aboard the Concordia said Schettino shouldn't be the only person tried.

`'Frankly, I'm not angry with Schettino," said Gianluca Gabrielli, a 33-year-old Roman who is a surviving passenger. `'I'm angry with the whole crew. They were smiling at the beginning, but when they realized that there was danger, they escaped, abandoning us," Gabrielli said outside the Grosseto theater, which is serving as a makeshift courtroom to allow more space for the public.

Isn't there still going to be risk of having to line up with lots of other passengers and wait to speak to a crew member at your muster station? Surely they could have got around that with some technology? Even a Medallion has the ability to show your proximity to a particular part of a ship.

Maybe there could be a short multiple choice test you take via tv remote or medallion type system after watching video.

What a great idea1  However, I read through the announcement and didn't see any mention of NCL.  They are two separate corporations.  What did I miss?

Until I have a boarding pass for a cruise and have actually made it on a ship....I really question information put out by any cruise line......maybe it is because, I live in California and everything is so fluid. Recently, left the state being able to eat in a restaurant and having my beauty salon open returned to a" lock" down. We returned from Texas by car and when there sent off 2 children  by car to South Carolina. I have been getting updates from them on the reality of what states are doing, they are visiting friends along the way and have seen what people in each state they are passing thru are doing, what hotels, restaurants, national parks, state facilities, museums, are open or not...New Orleans  few were wearing masks...on a cruise in of Houston similar situation.

It's gng to be a long time before we will ever to cruise again..I have 4 booked...last cruise I returned from was March 7th. So I have faith but it is dwindling...

17 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

Just look at the captain of the Concordia.  He jumped off and the ship did not even sink!  You would think he would have stayed on to make sure everyone was safe, but no, apparently human nature took over.  Such a sad affair so many died following their so called safety procedures.

And........he was sentenced in 2015, with the following in 2016:

An Italian appeals court has upheld the 16-year sentence given to the captain of the Costa Concordia which capsized in 2012 killing 32 people. Francesco Schettino was sentenced last year after a court found him guilty of manslaughter; causing a maritime accident and abandoning ship.

Posted (edited)

I think Muster 2.0 is the greatest thing since sliced sourdough bread! 

I'm not nuts about one of us having to show up and actually check in manually.  I hope they have a Muster 3.0 that allows you to start the digital muster drill, which will be tracked by the app, and then you digitally sign and complete.  The app then registers your "attendance".

If they want us to socially distance, then don't create a body bottleneck line at the muster stations.

Now, it's wait for Princess and HAL to get this, too.................................

Edited by pcur

3 hours ago, BabsinTX said:

What a great idea1  However, I read through the announcement and didn't see any mention of NCL.  They are two separate corporations.  What did I miss?

13. Is Muster 2.0 exclusive to Royal Caribbean Group brands?
In addition to introducing the new process on the ships of its own cruise lines – Royal Caribbean International,
Celebrity Cruises and Azamara – Royal Caribbean Group is offering to license the patented approach to
interested cruise operators and will waive patent license fees during the time the world and industry battle the
global pandemic. Patent licenses have already been granted to the company’s joint venture, TUI Cruises GmbH,
as well as Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd., the parent company of Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises
and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

Anything is an improvement!!  When it comes to social distancing it is 100%  impossible  - it is the only time when ALL passengers (most new ships hold 3,000 PLUS) have to be in a handful of overcrowded SRO lounges and then try to disperse at the  same time and crowd into the stairwells and elevators.  Other than boarding that is the only other time you realize just how many people are on the ship!!  I think cruise lines will do this and figure out the process to make sure you complied.  And I see a much stricter policy somehow put into place that staggers more effectively the boarding to avoid large amounts of people at once.  Princess currently tries putting that tiny print of your recommended boarding time but does anyone really adhere to it...not

not  everyone uses the medallion or keeps a smart phone handy. My phone gets locked in the safe and i opt out of the medallion and get a reliable black cruise card that doesn't track me.

I like that idea rather than a large group of people in one room. Anyone that usually locks up their cell phone will have the option of leaving it on for the safety drill or use the TV in there room. 

Tom😀

Just now, cruzsnooze said:

not  everyone uses the medallion or keeps a smart phone handy. My phone gets locked in the safe and i opt out of the medallion and get a reliable black cruise card that doesn't track me.

If that's what it takes to cruise going forward you may not have a choice.  I may not like it either but I will have to  get with the program or  choose another form of vacation.   

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

not  everyone uses the medallion or keeps a smart phone handy.

That is why it can be done on the interactive TV in the cabin.

But...what about those of us who don't have (and refuse to have) a cell phone? I am not going to buy one just to toss it after the muster drill.

Jim

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, waltd said:

If that's what it takes to cruise going forward you may not have a choice.  I may not like it either but I will have to  get with the program or  choose another form of vacation.   

There will always be a choice because the medallion is not safe for everyone particularly those with a pacemaker. There is even a warning inside the medallion instruction booklet about it can interfere with a pacemaker.

Even if it weren't for pacemakers I don't believe any cruise line would want to turn away paying customers over a trivial issue like continuing to issue a regular cruise. My last several cruises I got a cruise card at guest services and locked the medallion in the cabin safe. Places such as the elevator put you too close to others wearing the medallion and could be as many 10 people in that elevator thus sending 10 times the magnetic force. Why not be safe and avoid any possible detrimental encounters.

From the American heart association

Magnets

Magnetic fields in magnets in devices and machinery can inhibit pulse generators for ICDs and pacemakers. In ICDs in particular, magnets can activate a switch prohibiting the ICD from delivering vital signals such as lifesaving shocks.

If you have an ICD or pacemaker, avoid close or prolonged contact with magnets or their magnetic fields. Keep magnets at least six inches from where your device is implanted.

Of course, you may not always know if you have come into proximity with machinery that employs a magnet. It’s best to err on the safe side: If you feel any interference, move away from the source, or turn it off if possible.

Avoid magnet therapy that may call for you to wear magnetic bracelets or necklaces near your implantation site. Also avoid magnetic mattress pads or magnetic pillows; both may interfere with your ICD or pacemaker.

Edited by cruzsnooze

At this point no one knows for sure what will happen.   Right now we all hope the cruise lines stay in business.    If this continues on for too much longer we may not have to worry about any of this.     At the end of the day it's their ships and their rules and they will do whatever it takes to get sailing again.     If that means wearing masks while on board or using more electronic devises  or social distancing  we will have to do it.   They could very well go back to barring those with medical conditions from boarding,   Who knows.   One thing is certain.    Cruising will never be the same going forward.    There will be change.    Hopefully they will figure it out to everyone's satisfaction.   

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

so, off the grid kinda cruiser ....

Suspicious GIF on GIFER - by Pebandis

better safe than sorry..

Edited by c-boy