Please stop the Suite/Tier Negativity

On 7/28/2020 at 9:01 AM, Sea Dog said:

I'm on page 11 so I'm still a nobody ;>)

You actually found yourself ?.....I don't think or can't find if I'm even on the list...let alone what number :classic_unsure:

I'm coming late to this thread.  We have been cruising for 27 years and like many who started in the 90's remember when the primary lure of cruises was the class-less system.  It didn't matter what category of room you were in, everyone had the run of the ship.  

It is understandable for people to resent the creating of a suite "class" when it results in poorer quality of food in the MDR and less space for everyone to enjoy the ship.  I'm thinking of how the Edge class ships now restrict the front view of the ship for suite passengers only.

I remember when the specialty restaurants first started for $25/pp.  Our first cruise was on Zenith which was 40K ton ship and we couldn't believe the luxury of being onboard!   Our last was on Silhouette for a 15 day TA which we enjoyed immensely.  

We would love to book another cruise but obviously the current world pandemic trumps that idea.   Looking forward to a disease free future and open cruising.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, shofer said:

19 minutes ago, shofer said:

It is understandable for people to resent the creating of a suite "class" when it results in poorer quality of food in the MDR and less space for everyone to enjoy the ship.  

Interesting point.  On the one hand those in suites pay extra for them and deserve the extra benefits.

On the other hand, the emphasis on suite lounges has resulted in a diminished emphasis for lounge access for D+, indeed resulting in the eventual total elimination pf concierge lounges .

If RCCL had been able to implement the SL while not taking Concierge Lounge access from D+, all would have been well.

Sadly, they failed.  They made a calculated business decision.  Now let's see how it plays out!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Interesting point.  On the one hand those in suites pay extra for them and deserve the extra benefits.

On the other hand, the emphasis on suite lounges has resulted in a diminished emphasis for lounge access for D+, indeed resulting in the eventual total elimination pf concierge lounges .

If RCCL had been able to implement the SL while not taking Concierge Lounge access from D+, all would have been well.

Sadly, they failed.  They made a calculated business decision.  Now let's see how it plays out!

I think they have bigger problems right now

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, yogimax said:

How do you manage the numbers? The access?

26 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I have no issue with Suite's have their own perks.  But it should not be at the expense of those of us that have been "Loyal to Royal" over the years.  Suite passengers, often on their first cruise, have bought their way into perks that some of us have paid ten's of thousands of dollars to accrue.  It shows me that "Loyal" is a one way street...... sadly money talks.   Just my opinion.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

I have no issue with Suite's have their own perks.  But it should not be at the expense of those of us that have been "Loyal to Royal" over the years.  Suite passengers, often on their first cruise, have bought their way into perks that some of us have paid ten's of thousands of dollars to accrue.  It shows me that "Loyal" is a one way street...... sadly money talks.   Just my opinion.

Here's a thought. Do you know that the Suite Lounges aren't only for suites? Royals most Loyal customers are granted access as well.😉

8 hours ago, yogimax said:

Some of us just don't want to spend a week in the lounge discussing our employment.  In addition, some of our work is mentally demanding and we are thinking about almost all the time.  We are on a vacation.  Now, if you want to talk about cats, we're in!

So if someone asks you what you do for a living, simply respond that you are a "cat herder".

Edited by E@syPe@zy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Here's a thought. Do you know that the Suite Lounges aren't only for suites? Royals most Loyal customers are granted access as well.😉

I did not know that.  What is the criteria for entrance?

1 hour ago, shofer said:

It is understandable for people to resent the creating of a suite "class" when it results in poorer quality of food in the MDR 

Not sure how suites have caused a poorer quality of food in the MDR

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Not us loyal D+'s unless there's still a (rare) CL or we opt to book a suite. :classic_wink:

Maybe it's because we book balcony and below cabins or maybe it's because we travel with friends and family, maybe it's because we aren't D+ and don't have access to the lounge or  maybe it's because we don't pay attention, but having sailed on Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Carnival over the past 30 years I have never experienced any of the snobbery or self centered rude attitudes that are expressed on this thread. As a matter of fact the only place that I have experienced this is on Cruise Critic.

I know I have been rude or snarky on occasion and I'm not top tier and don't book suites.   If I didn't know better and if I have never been on a cruise I probably wouldn't cruise if I found this site first. I am sure there are just as many low tier and interior guests as there are suite guests and upper tier guests who have an attitude. I think there are too many people watchers on this site who make a vacation out of judging others.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes but for how long. They may be seeing their perks slowing diminishing. Suites first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1