Please stop the Suite/Tier Negativity

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Nope!  It's not about me being offended.  It's about offending someone else by using harmful words or expressions that are often based in hateful expressions of the past but still used today by those who don't care.

Was it the word “big” or “dude” you found offensive?

M8

• Haha 1

So, this is what cancel culture is all about.  Banning thoughts, banning ideas, banning independent thought, banning vulgar thought, banning kind thought not approved by the in Kids.  Welcome to George Orwells 1984 only worse.  The people running it are even dumber than poor old George imagined.

Sorry.

jc

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, this is what cancel culture is all about.  Banning thoughts, banning ideas, banning independent thought, banning vulgar thought, banning kind thought not approved by the in Kids.  Welcome to George Orwells 1984 only worse.  The people running it are even dumber than poor old George imagined.

Sorry.

jc

6b041df2148230c57abe4a7eba28e0c5.jpg

15 hours ago, yogimax said:

It's not "policing of language."  if you don't understand what it is, you will probably never know.

Oh, that is the point - I understand very well, thank you

If anyone takes offence, or mentions the possibility of offence taking (which you did) from that original sentence, it is they that have the problem, and it they that are bringing politics onto Cruise Critic 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, compman9 said:

If anyone takes offence, or mentions the possibility of offence taking (which you did) from that original sentence, it is they that have the problem, and it they that are bringing politics onto Cruise Critic 

absolutely agree

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Was it the word “big” or “dude” you found offensive?

M8

I'm not looking to ban anyone or cancel any speech but big and dude should have been enough adjectives to convey the concern.   Additional adjectives should not be required unless you are looking to describe a particular individual for identification.

• Like 3

From status-bashing to trivia cheaters to cancel culture...I have whiplash!

All I know for sure is that anyone who would confuse Cyndi Lauper with Joan Jett in a game of music trivia, deserves 50 lashes with a wet noodle!

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, momofmab said:

All I know for sure is that anyone who would confuse Cyndi Lauper with Joan Jett in a game of music trivia, deserves 50 lashes with a wet noodle!

Wow now we are heading in another new direction,wonder who will take offence at the mention on 50 lashes with a wet noodle😂

Edited by snaefell
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, L454S said:

No...you are wrong. Instead of everybody watching every single word they say as to not offend some person on the planet, do what I was taught......grow a bit thicker skin and get on with life, offended or not.

Can't remember the last time somebody cared if I was offended or not, hmmmmmm?

Now I really agree with that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm not looking to ban anyone or cancel any speech but big and dude should have been enough adjectives to convey the concern.   Additional adjectives should not be required unless you are looking to describe a particular individual for identification.

Spot on!   Sadly, we still live in a culture where we see the effects of lingering racial stereotyping.  Often, as seen here, many don't even perceive this as a problem.

• Like 1

Getting back to cheating at trivia, there was a group one time sitting next to me that knew all the colors of the Afghanistan flag and lyrics to a Miley Cyrus song. They ended up winning. Had their phones out the entire time. The next day I saw them in the gym and they could not figure out how to start the treadmill or increase the speed. My admiration for their intelligence vanished as I realized they most likely cheated with their phones. The husband asked for my help and I said sure but I saw how smart you were in trivia yesterday, Im surprised you can't figure out the "on" switch. He was not happy.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, compman9 said:

Nope, not politics - simply, compassion and concern for those who may not look exactly like us.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I am so sorry Tree Skier, you took my post in the most negative light you possibly could have.  Maybe you didn't even notice I was "criticizing" myself along with humanity.  I was not even referring to the "friendly discussion" on this thread but to the nasty comments and boastful rhetoric of some posters who think their status give them the right to Lord it over others.   I do not look at you as one down at all, sorry you do.  Have a better day...........

You are not sorry at all and I took your post in neither a negative nor positive way.  I read the words and the words have meaning.  If you want to criticize humanity find a forum dedicated to that and to whatever cause makes you feel virtuous.  This forum is dedicated to cruising. This thread has been a civil discussion about issues related to cruising especially as it relates too long time cruisers.  Why you would think that is inappropriate is beyond me.  There have been no nasty comments nor has any high tier'd Royal cruiser has lorded anything over anyone else on this thread. Your preachy, self righteous virtue signaling is the only inappropriate post on this thread. Even your passive aggressive "Have a better day" is a thinly veiled attempt to belittle.  If you don't want to discuss cruising, tier status within Royal, suite life or other cruise related subjects that's fine but some of us do and would appreciate you taking your self aggrandizing, non-cruise related posts to a more appropriate forum.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, momofmab said:

All I know for sure is that anyone who would confuse Cyndi Lauper with Joan Jett in a game of music trivia, deserves 50 lashes with a wet noodle

I know... I was equally scandalized by their complete lack of knowledge of mid 80's pop.  That's like confusing late Madonna with early Britney Spears.  Scandalous, I say!

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 2

I've never understood suite or tier envy.  I don't begrudge those in first class on a flight receiving more and better service when I happen to be in coach nor do I swirl my OJ at folks, served to me in a real glass, while economy is boarding to lord over them my being in first and them not.  Nobody does that kind of thing.

With Hilton I am Diamond status.  It comes with perks and access to parts of some properties not available to other guests.  I'm not going to feel guilty because I get access to the executive lounge and  an included breakfast while others don't.  Conversely, I don't begrudge anyone in the executive lounge who has no status with Hilton who happened to purchase a deluxe suite that includes access to executive lounge. 

I know there have been a few anecdotes of pretentious folks, whether they be high tiered or suite dwelling, acting all douchy but my experience is that that is extremely rare.  Most high tiered folks, as evidenced here on CC, are remarkably helpful, sharing their knowledge and experience with those less experienced enabling myself and others to get more out of our cruise experience.

How would you know about preferred cabins, special order off menu currys in the MDR or the myriad of unadvertised things available except some higher tiered cruiser shared it here on CC or onboard while chatting at lunch or in the Schooner bar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I know... I was equally scandalized by their complete lack of knowledge of mid 80's pop.  That's like confusing late Madonna with early Britney Spears.  Scandalous, I say!

I'll say!  Late Madonna actually has talent and enough business intelligence/marketing savvy to take control of her career and keep her brand alive for years - decades, actually - after it should have flamed out.   Britney is just one train wreck after another.

Lady GaGa would be a more fair comparison to late Madonna.

Now Musically speaking, if someone confused early Madonna with Britney, that I can understand.

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Surely you don’t think quoting scripture is bad?

Should have read 

If I can't say something nice to a person or about someone I would rather not say something bad.

Having a different opinion or view on something is fine and i will change my view on an issue if a reasonable case is put forward to show I was wrong.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Should have read 

If I can't say something nice to a person or about someone I would rather not say something bad.

Having a different opinion or view on something is fine and i will change my view on an issue if a reasonable case is put forward to show I was wrong.

+1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I'll say!  Late Madonna actually has talent and enough business intelligence/marketing savvy to take control of her career and keep her brand alive for years - decades, actually - after it should have flamed out.   Britney is just one train wreck after another.

To this day I am immensely proud of how my knowledge of music allowed me to accurately predict Madonna's career path,when listening to 'Holiday' I said " with a squeaky voice like that she won't last 5 minutes",so glad I didn't give up my day job😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Lady GaGa would be a more fair comparison to late Madonna.

Now Musically speaking, if someone confused early Madonna with Britney, that I can understand.

Don't tell anyone but I was a closet Britney fan back in the 90's

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1