Cruise Critic Community
oskidunker

Mein Shiff sails with 1200 passengers. Germans only

Here is a video a passenger posted which shows what new measures have been implemented. 

The company that owns the ship is 50% owned by Royal Caribbean.

Posted (edited)

It's a weekend cruise to nowhere with no stops.  Seems like a lot of hassle for such a short cruise and no ports.  

Edited by Paula_MacFan

Thanks for the post linking the video. It shows that cruising can be undertaken within new rules.

7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Thanks for the post linking the video. It shows that cruising can be undertaken within new rules.

I would not enjoy a cruise under these rules and not sure how safe I would feel

We would do a 7 day cruise to "no where" out of San Pedro (our home port)...

4 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

To get my cruising fix, I would do a 3 day to nowhere similar to the conditions shown in the video.😷

22 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

With all the virus in California I am not sure I would even want to be in the port area. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for sharing.  Love that hand washing station! It's nice and long!!  The safety protocols seem similar to protocols to what Cabo has right now. We went earlier this month.We had masks required to and from any public areas (from car to check in), in the pool area you didn't have to wear masks, but to and from there and the bathroom you did have to. Obviously no masks when eating and drinking. Social distancing in elevators (one person or family per elevator) and restaurants (couldn't even hear our neighbors conversations, and they seemed more than 6 ft away). I felt safer at the resort in Cabo than I do in California! My main concern with cruising is that so much is indoors. Your outdoor dining is limited there.  All we did was outdoor dining in Mexico. 

I would cruise now. When our summer plans were cancelled, we booked a California coastal out of SF.Then that got cancelled too. To cruise I'd get used to Lots of hand washing, antibacterial, face masks, wipes for spaces. I know not everyone feels safe right now in these conditions, but we don't have any elderly at home, and our interactions are limited with other people. We order our groceries, I'm working from home, DH is not, the kids will be back to remote learning soon enough. We happily wear masks, and use antibacterial, do hand washing, and limit face touching.  I'd be comfortable to go tomorrow. If we can't cruise, we will do land trips. 

Edited by jennybenny

3 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

It's a weekend cruise to nowhere with no stops.  Seems like a lot of hassle for such a short cruise and no ports.  

Agree......why......Europe is already learning that opening it's boarders to other EU countries is not going so well and they will probably be closing borders again.....looks like a corporate stunt to me....or an act of desperation.....

4 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Here is a video a passenger posted which shows what new measures have been implemented. 

Anybody notice people in the video with no mask?  Perhaps some can repost this video in English. 

2 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Anybody notice people in the video with no mask?  Perhaps some can repost this video in English. 

Only people eating and at the end, at a bar, on a table and the guy talking.

Wouldn't expect them to have masks on at that time

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Agree......why......Europe is already learning that opening it's boarders to other EU countries is not going so well and they will probably be closing borders again.....looks like a corporate stunt to me....or an act of desperation.....

Right on schedule. 

8 hours ago, jennybenny said:The safety protocols seem similar to protocols to what Cabo has right now. We went earlier this month.We had masks required to and from any public areas (from car to check in), in the pool area you didn't have to wear masks, but to and from there and the bathroom you did have to. Obviously no masks when eating and drinking. Social distancing in elevators (one person or family per elevator) and restaurants (couldn't even hear our neighbors conversations, and they seemed more than 6 ft away). I felt safer at the resort in Cabo than I do in California! My main concern with cruising is that so much is indoors. Your outdoor dining is limited there.  All we did was outdoor dining in Mexico. 

I was not aware CA residents could travel out of country now. Are you required to self isolate 14 days when you return?

15 hours ago, memoak said:

With all the virus in California I am not sure I would even want to be in the port area. 

I would not even want to be in California!

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

Asking I have friends in CA who want to visit new grandbaby, but she said they can’t leave state 

Edited by dog

14 hours ago, dog said:

Asking I have friends in CA who want to visit new grandbaby, but she said they can’t leave state 

I know of no state where leaving is not allowed. There are states that want you to be quarantined if you come from California.

Of course there are countries that do not want anyone from USA to travel there. And the border with Canada does not allow almost all travel across the border in either direction.

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2020 at 1:38 AM, dog said:

I was not aware CA residents could travel out of country now. Are you required to self isolate 14 days when you return?

NOPE. No one said a thing when we came back either, no warning or recommendation to stay home, but I chose to stay home for two weeks. Love grocery services!! Whole Foods now has lists for me to reorder.  It's wonderful. 

We didn't tell anyone we were out of the country either because there are some judge-y-@$$ people out there. We waited our 14 days and then shared our super positive experience with some. I didn't tell my mom though! lol  I also won't be able to see her and my step dad until there is a vaccine. 

California still does not require you to self quarantine, but there are other states that require quarantine for Californians when you go there.

I suspect if you want to be mindful of others and self quarantine, but don't have a job where you work from home, then traveling anywhere would be an issue. I am lucky. I have been working from home or customer site for years. I just am not traveling to customers these days. 🙂 

Edited by jennybenny

On 7/28/2020 at 8:37 AM, cruising deacon said:

Me either 😅

If I could work from Barbados, I would. I have other commitments that require me to be local. Dang it!.

There is a very good live blog from a person who is on the German cruise, on the Celebrity board.  He seems to be very happy with the experience.

19 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

There is a very good live blog from a person who is on the German cruise, on the Celebrity board.  He seems to be very happy with the experience.

Yes, the thread is located here:

18,000 thread views so far!