Cruise Critic Community
pawmtweez

Independence in St Maarten?

Just happened to turn on the webcam in time to find Independence arriving in St. Maarten today, where it seems she has been a fair amount lately.  The first few times I've seen the ship on the webcam I assumed it was just getting refueled or new provisions, but the frequency of the visits the last few weeks seems too much for either of those.  Does anyone know why the ship is there so (relatively) much?

And that brought up another question. With all these ships that are mostly just sailing or anchored except for occasional returns to port for food for fuel, are the captains going to get, for lack of a better word, out of practice with their docking maneuvers?  Particularly in the more difficult ports, or those where conditions change frequently?  Especially if it turns out that it's the better part of a year before a ship returns to its "usual" ports.

Just now, pawmtweez said:

Does anyone know why the ship is there so (relatively) much?

Crew changes likely.

I wouldn't worry about the Captain's getting out of practice.  They are very experienced mariners who have been at sea for a very long time, most likely on a number of different ships beyond just cruise ships.  

A lot of planning goes into every port arrival and there is a local port pilot on board to advise on local conditions.  

46 minutes ago, twangster said:

I wouldn't worry about the Captain's getting out of practice.  They are very experienced mariners who have been at sea for a very long time, most likely on a number of different ships beyond just cruise ships.  

A lot of planning goes into every port arrival and there is a local port pilot on board to advise on local conditions.  

Maybe training for other bridge officers

I posted this on Sunday in the 'crew repatriation' thread but didn't get much response.  This is from Pt. St. Maarten's FB page:

📣Press Release | Two Cruise Ships arrive Sunday for Repatriation of Crew Operations✈️

PORT ST. MAARTEN – On Sunday, July 26, two cruise ships will be in port for the repatriation of their crew to their homelands. The vessels are the Independence of the Seas from Royal Caribbean
International (RCI) and MSC Cruises MSC Armonia.

🛳Both vessels will arrive on Sunday. #IndependenceoftheSeas will depart on Tuesday while #MSCArmonia will depart on Monday.

📌The repatriation of crew will be carried out based on the ports strict “Sterile Port Protocol” that falls under the scope of the Ordinance Public Health which is part of the International Health Regulations as issued by the World Health Organization (WHO).

This protocol ensures public health safety and security at the Dr. A.C. Wathey Cruise & Cargo Facilities for all incoming vessels at the port.

🇸🇽Port St. Maarten was chosen due to its strategic location in the Northeastern Caribbean as well as its international connections with airports around the world. As a destination, St. Maarten has displayed its ability to facilitate such repatriation operations safely and efficiently.

🏝The country’s infrastructure such as its homeporting facility and services at Port St. Maarten makes it easy for a cruise ship to have travel documents of crews processed and then taken directly to the Airport to board their international flight.

🔍Additional services such as fuel bunkering and food provisioning, are also available that cruise lines can avail during their port call.

I missed the Independence sail away but watched the MSC Armonia sail away yesterday. That ship looked very worn.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I missed the Independence sail away but watched the MSC Armonia sail away yesterday. That ship looked very worn.

It is a pretty old ship. Itins are cheap and great though.

There have been frequent flights at SXM by KLM from AMS and Air France  from Paris (CDG) and Air Caribes from  ORY. I wonder if fresh crews are being brought in.

Thanks Rockmom, I missed that.

Sadly, I don't spend much time here anymore.  No real reason to right now, though I do love the humor thread.

10 hours ago, pawmtweez said:

And that brought up another question. With all these ships that are mostly just sailing or anchored except for occasional returns to port for food for fuel, are the captains going to get, for lack of a better word, out of practice with their docking maneuvers?  

The captains are very experienced at what they do.  They aren't going to forget how to properly dock a ship.......

On 7/28/2020 at 8:12 AM, pawmtweez said:

Just happened to turn on the webcam in time to find Independence arriving in St. Maarten today, where it seems she has been a fair amount lately.  The first few times I've seen the ship on the webcam I assumed it was just getting refueled or new provisions, but the frequency of the visits the last few weeks seems too much for either of those.  Does anyone know why the ship is there so (relatively) much?

And that brought up another question. With all these ships that are mostly just sailing or anchored except for occasional returns to port for food for fuel, are the captains going to get, for lack of a better word, out of practice with their docking maneuvers?  Particularly in the more difficult ports, or those where conditions change frequently?  Especially if it turns out that it's the better part of a year before a ship returns to its "usual" ports.

I know that St. Maarten is one of the primary eastern caribbean ports that RCI uses to refuel. One of the bridge officers on Allure told us that when we were on the all access tour...