German Cruise Ship's First Sailing Underway

Interesting observations posted on the Celebrity forum by "Germancruiser" regarding the Mein Schiff cruise to nowhere. He/she reports the ship holds 3000, but is carrying just 1000.  I'm glad to hear everything is going well so far.  Maybe offers some hope for Crystal cruises this year or early next year?  (Sorry I don't know how to post a link.)

Live from the first cruise in the Pandemic

By Germancruiser,  6 hours ago in Celebrity Cruises 

13 minutes ago, CabinBoy2020 said:

Interesting observations posted on the Celebrity forum by "Germancruiser" regarding the Mein Schiff cruise to nowhere. He/she reports the ship holds 3000, but is carrying just 1000.  I'm glad to hear everything is going well so far.  Maybe offers some hope for Crystal cruises this year or early next year?  (Sorry I don't know how to post a link.)

Live from the first cruise in the Pandemic

By Germancruiser,  6 hours ago in Celebrity Cruises 

I think it must have completed its first cruise already as I saw this online several days ago...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23286-1-200-passengers-are-back-on-a-cruise-ship.html

Anne

I am afraid they only accept passengers from the so called D A CH market  so Germany Austria Switserland 

I tried to book an Europa 2   ex Hamburg to " Norwegian waters" and was refused  despite I do have a " high level loyalty"  on Hapag Lloyd.

You are correct Vistaman.  The Celebrity forum poster stated the cruise is only for "the German market."  The poster describes many new procedures on board (e.g., no menus - use your phone instead).  He/she spoke to several crew members who are very grateful to be working again.  I was just happy to read about someone actually enjoying themselves on a cruise ship again!  

Hurtigruten claims the earliest return to ocean cruising with its MS Finnmarken which set sail on June 30. Most passengers were from Norway with a few from Denmark. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5426/

More Hurtigruten ships will sail from mid-July through September.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5442

I'd love to be on that cruise to Svalbard.

15 hours ago, resistk said:

This is just plain irresponsible, German COVID case are going up again according to BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53566880

It is not that irresponsible. Germany monitors the situation and takes corrective action where necessary. Probably cases will increase again when the winter comes,  but up to now, the situation is more or less under control.

Ivi

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

It is not that irresponsible. Germany monitors the situation and takes corrective action where necessary. Probably cases will increase again when the winter comes,  but up to now, the situation is more or less under control.

Ivi

In my opinion taking a cruise during a pandemic is reckless. As to the German government's efficiency during a crisis, that is open to questions too.

2 hours ago, resistk said:

In my opinion taking a cruise during a pandemic is reckless. As to the German government's efficiency during a crisis, that is open to questions too.

People are different. It is your opinion and your decision. Those passengers cruising now have also their opinion and it is their own decision. Of course nobody can guarantee the efficiency or efficacy of a government. But it is easy to see they are doing up to now, a better job than others. The situation can change. Nobody is taking long term decisions on COVID-19. Almost every week there is something new, which requires attention.

At the moment a problem in Germany are people who are returning from their sommer vacation and are probably infected. On this subject the German government has implemented an obligatory Covid-19 test at no cost on the main airports starting from today. 
I guess this is all we can expect at the moment: to trust the authorities to monitor the situation and take corrective action. Life goes on but nothing is normal. It is good to know or to believe that those in the position to take decisions are trying to do their best. 
Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
51 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

People are different. It is your opinion and your decision. Those passengers cruising now have also their opinion and it is their own decision. Of course nobody can guarantee the efficiency or efficacy of a government. But it is easy to see they are doing up to now, a better job than others. The situation can change. Nobody is taking long term decisions on COVID-19. Almost every week there is something new, which requires attention.

At the moment a problem in Germany are people who are returning from their sommer vacation and are probably infected. On this subject the German government has implemented an obligatory Covid-19 test at no cost on the main airports starting from today. 
I guess this is all we can expect at the moment: to trust the authorities to monitor the situation and take corrective action. Life goes on but nothing is normal. It is good to know or to believe that those in the position to take decisions are trying to do their best. 
Ivi

That's really well said, Ivi.  Authorities around the world have acknowledged that once areas reach (or have maintained) a low enough infection rate, they will have to experiment with new procedures that help reintroduce old pastimes back into society with new procedures, and there is going to be a degree of trial and error to this.  Cruising is no different, though it's hard for those of us in the US to imagine it right now with soaring infection and positivity rates that will keep us from sailing for a while.

We don't have a lot of other choices.  We're all hopeful about a vaccine, and there's a lot we don't fully know yet about the immune system's "memory" beyond antibodies against the virus, but if the various vaccines end up being as temporary as the acquired immunity from having COVID-19 seems to be showing at this point, we're going to have to learn how to make some changes in how we do things.  The choice may well end up being cruise "new style", or stay home for an unknown number of years.

Vince

Whether you approve or disapprove of Germancruiser taking this cruise or the German authorities for allowing the ship to sail, what’s interesting to me are the procedures described by the passenger on Mein Schiff II.  He posted about embarkation, restaurants, the crew members, theaters, open decks etc.  His observations give me a hint as to what cruising might be like when it resumes for us in the US (2021, 2022 or ?).  Also, amidst all the doom and gloom, I’m just so very glad someone somewhere is enjoying a cruise.

Here is the link: 

Edited by CabinBoy2020
On 7/30/2020 at 4:34 AM, CabinBoy2020 said:

Whether you approve or disapprove of Germancruiser taking this cruise or the German authorities for allowing the ship to sail, what’s interesting to me are the procedures described by the passenger on Mein Schiff II.  He posted about embarkation, restaurants, the crew members, theaters, open decks etc.  His observations give me a hint as to what cruising might be like when it resumes for us in the US (2021, 2022 or ?).  Also, amidst all the doom and gloom, I’m just so very glad someone somewhere is enjoying a cruise.

Here is the link: 

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting to follow. I guess Crystal would habe been able to sail in October, November and December if they would have planned for the german market ...

Ivi

I am afraid Crystal never was very strong in the German or the so called D A CH  market. Despite every time one of the ocean  ships  were in Hamburg or even in Warnemunde  ample presentations and sale meetings were organised. 

If they can afford it they go for Hapag Lloyd , especially the older "formal" generation to ms Europa. 

Exception made for the Uk market say at least until 2010 Europeans were not so frequently seen  on Crystal. 

Cruising now anywhere is a terrible idea and reckless and this is why:

36 crew infected on Hurtigruten ship: Passengers disembarked, potentially exposing communities

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/01/hurtigruten-cruise-line-33-crew-infected-covid-19-norway/5562151002/

27 minutes ago, resistk said:

Cruising now anywhere is a terrible idea and reckless and this is why:

36 crew infected on Hurtigruten ship: Passengers disembarked, potentially exposing communities

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/01/hurtigruten-cruise-line-33-crew-infected-covid-19-norway/5562151002/

Yes - there’s already a dedicated thread on it