Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just received this from my Princess agent:  

As your Cruise Vacation Planner with Princess, I am excited to share with you our new offer to save money on your cruise and receive onboard spending money. For a limited time when you pay for your booking in full, you will receive additional savings of 10% plus Free onbaord spending money. This is the perfect time to pay for your cruise and take advantage of these savings. Call me to apply this special offer to your booking before you make a payment.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also received this. It doesn’t state how much OBC. I tried to find it on the Princess website, but didn’t see anything. My first thought is that Princess is strapped for cash and is doing this to help see them through the shutdown. That led me to wonder how safe it would be to handover my money to Princess at this time. I’m not worried about tying up my cash as the 10% savings on the cruise would far exceed any interest earned on savings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, seasickgirl said:

Just received this from my Princess agent:  

As your Cruise Vacation Planner with Princess, I am excited to share with you our new offer to save money on your cruise and receive onboard spending money. For a limited time when you pay for your booking in full, you will receive additional savings of 10% plus Free onbaord spending money. This is the perfect time to pay for your cruise and take advantage of these savings. Call me to apply this special offer to your booking before you make a payment.

 

 

Wow!  They just went there!  I saw Holland America had that same promotion just a couple of months ago and I thought it was a good marketing idea at the time.  However, I'm not confident in putting any more money down on my cruises until they have resumed sailing.  I had 5 cruises canceled so far this year and waited way too long for my refunds.  I know they need the revenue to stay afloat (pun intended) but, it just won't come from me.  

Not only that but, I don't see the possibility of any price adjustments down the road ... not to mention, wouldn't you have to also pay for the insurance at that point?  I suppose 10% might seem like a deal for some and maybe it would have even been something I'd have jumped on in the past .... pre-CoVid days ... it's just not tempting enough at this point in time IMO.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess couldn't offer enough OBC to ever get me to hand over more of my money to them.

I noticed that the German cruise ship MEIN SHIFF was the first to sail since the PAUSE started in March.  I have always thought that the Germans were smart, but now it appears that I was right.  The ship can hold 2900 passengers, but they advertised the cruise limiting it to 60% of capacity (1740 passengers), BUT only 1200 took the bait and went on the cruise.  I guess the Germans weren't as 'addicted to cruising' as American are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not worth tying up large sums of money when some analysts are thinking Carnival may declare bankruptcy if the virus is not solved in the next year.  Deposits,ok. Thousands of dollars, no. Especially when we know how long it will take to get the money back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

They want me to give them 9k to hold in exchange for $300? No thanks.


It’s more than $100 OBC pp. It’s also a 10% reduction in the cruise fare. We only have a seven day Caribbean cruise scheduled for May. For my wife and me, we would save $335 in cruise fare plus $200 OBC. At least for us, it’s worth considering. 

Edited by Poulsbo Cruisers
Added text
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruising deacon said:

Princess couldn't offer enough OBC to ever get me to hand over more of my money to them.

I noticed that the German cruise ship MEIN SHIFF was the first to sail since the PAUSE started in March.  I have always thought that the Germans were smart, but now it appears that I was right.  The ship can hold 2900 passengers, but they advertised the cruise limiting it to 60% of capacity (1740 passengers), BUT only 1200 took the bait and went on the cruise.  I guess the Germans weren't as 'addicted to cruising' as American are.

 

And the German cruise was only a weekend cruise to nowhere -- not really a 'full return' to regular cruising.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:


It’s more than $100 OBC pp. It’s also a 10% reduction in the cruise fare. We only have a seven day Caribbean cruise scheduled for May. For my wife and me, we would save $335 in cruise fare plus $200 OBC. At least for us, it’s worth considering. 

 

4 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

 

And the German cruise was only a weekend cruise to nowhere -- not really a 'full return' to regular cruising.  

If this amount of money is that important to you, you should Consider how it would effect you if bankruptcy were declared and you lost it all or if it will take 4-5 months for you to get the money back if the cruise were cancelled. If the money is not an issue and you are a gambler, go for it. I bought more carnival cruise line stock at 18. It is now 15. I am ok if I lose the money as I think I will make money. But I Could be wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads up @seasickgirl. Just sent an email to our TA to see if this sale is applicable to our Jan 2021 bookings and, if so, what are the exact details. Worst case is, we get 10% off our 2 cruises and if they get cancelled, we get 125% FCCs to put on our future Princess cruises we already have booked. Really don't see a downside as we were already planning to pay for them before the FPDD.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Not worth tying up large sums of money when some analysts are thinking Carnival may declare bankruptcy if the virus is not solved in the next year.  Deposits,ok. Thousands of dollars, no. Especially when we know how long it will take to get the money back. 

I agree with the small deposit comment. Limited risk and low downside. In fact, I booked a 2021 cruise last week with only $98 NRD and received a $100 OBC in return. I think it's worth the gamble.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't heard back from my TA yet, but it would sure be nice to see the sale's T&C details. For example, if we apply the FCCs we have accrued so far from cancelled cruises to our next bookings in January and pay the remainder in cash, would we get 10% off the entire base cruise fare or just that portion, if any, that we used cash to pay it off?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for the heads up @seasickgirl. Just sent an email to our TA to see if this sale is applicable to our Jan 2021 bookings and, if so, what are the exact details. Worst case is, we get 10% off our 2 cruises and if they get cancelled, we get 125% FCCs to put on our future Princess cruises we already have booked. Really don't see a downside as we were already planning to pay for them before the FPDD.

Let me know what you hear from your TA. We also have a Jan 2021 cruise booked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Bottom line is

 

This is a gimmick

 

To get money in the door

 

Because 

 

Princess cannot issue refunds

 

If they don't have funds 

 

Of course it is just like most promotional sales are. In our case if we can use our accumulated FCCs from cancelled cruises to pay for our two Jan 2021 bookings and get an additional 10% off the cruise fares, we don't see a downside. Worst case the cruises also get cancelled and then we load the resulting 125% beefed up FCCs on our next cruise or two.

 

For us we're feeling somewhat optimistic, especially after the news recently about multiple stage 3 trials starting this week, that multiple vaccines may very well be available by the end of 2020 and we will all start cruising again in early 2021.

 

BUT, as well all know, there are a wide variety of opinions on that subject.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This promotion is unreal timing for us.  I will get my new Chase Sapphire card in a few days.  I have to spend a certain amount to qualify for bonus points, plus any purchases for travel are double points.  I am planning to take all the points and convert them to a statement credit. 

 

I have a Princess cruise booked that would qualify for this promotion, and the combined statement credit, 10% discount from this promotion, and $200 obc is $1,170.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Received as well, either Princess is desperate or thinks repeat passengers are crazy/stupid.  We do not have a cruise til Jan 2022, would not pay in full at this time or any time.  

 

Good lucky Princess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...