Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Interesting that they have added the flexibility to cancel 15 days before for cruises departing in January thru October 21 and receive FCC. Makes me think that they don't plan to start cruising again anytime soon. 😥 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TeresaJ said:

Interesting that they have added the flexibility to cancel 15 days before for cruises departing in January thru October 21 and receive FCC. Makes me think that they don't plan to start cruising again anytime soon. 😥 

Why is that your conclusion? I"m just curious because I come to a very different one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My conclusion is many people are canceling just before final payment. As I did. They are trying to keep the bookings they have. The longer the uncertainty the more people will cancel and avoid new bookings... so these actions are meant to retain bookings and provide some safety net on new ones.

 

I hope they extend final payment deadlines if November and/or December sailings get canceled. I am booked for Feb. 28 and not sure I will send final payment end of October if the restart is not happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am actually very happy about this news. I have a cruise booked with FCC for March 21 2021. This allows me to keep my booking longer and see what happens with the pandemic. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

My conclusion is many people are canceling just before final payment. As I did. They are trying to keep the bookings they have. The longer the uncertainty the more people will cancel and avoid new bookings... so these actions are meant to retain bookings and provide some safety net on new ones.

 

I hope they extend final payment deadlines if November and/or December sailings get canceled. I am booked for Feb. 28 and not sure I will send final payment end of October if the restart is not happening.

Bingo!!! Many customers with existing reservations are contemplating cancelling at the 120 mark. If the new measuring date is 60 days, NCL gets use of the money for an additional 60 days. Wise move on NCL part to kick the proverbial can further diwn the road.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

I am actually very happy about this news. I have a cruise booked with FCC for March 21 2021. This allows me to keep my booking longer and see what happens with the pandemic. 🙂

 

I totally agree. We can now decide much closer to the date of our April 2021 cruise, and still be able to get all of the FCC back if we cancel. Previously, we would have started losing a % of the FCC we used to pay for it if we canceled it after the Dec 29 Final Payment date.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good- I have a late January 2021 cruise, mostly booked with fcc but I still owe some in September.  Didn't want to cancel because IF it sails, I did get the advantage of the 20% discount and lower price at the time.  I'm more worried about getting a reasonably-priced flight (since I'm waiting on that aspect), so this gives me an out if flights become an issue - cruise leaves from Buenos Aires. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Why is that your conclusion? I"m just curious because I come to a very different one.

One major cruise line already cancelled into mid December. Everything just keeps getting cancelled everywhere.

I also just feel that they want to hang onto our cash a little longer by giving people more flexible payment and cancellation policies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeresaJ said:

One major cruise line already cancelled into mid December. Everything just keeps getting cancelled everywhere.

I also just feel that they want to hang onto our cash a little longer by giving people more flexible payment and cancellation policies.

"Everything just keeps getting cancelled everywhere."

Not trying to be rude, but you know this isn't correct, right? It's a rather sweeping statement, wouldn't you agree?

If anything, the news shows that more and more things are opening up, which is the opposite of everything getting cancelled.

Examples: Greece reopening to tourism, including cruise ships starting this Saturday. Europe is opening back up, with European river cruises resuming. TUI's Mein Schiff is already sailing, Hurtigruten is sailing, and in Asia, Genting's brands are sailing. Personally, I was pretty pessimistic earlier this year when 4 of our planned vacations were canceled due to COVID, but things are looking up now. I'd encourage you to look online, there are definitely signs that things are slowly going back to normal. ☺️

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

"Everything just keeps getting cancelled everywhere."

Not trying to be rude, but you know this isn't correct, right? It's a rather sweeping statement, wouldn't you agree?

If anything, the news shows that more and more things are opening up, which is the opposite of everything getting cancelled.

Examples: Greece reopening to tourism, including cruise ships starting this Saturday. Europe is opening back up, with European river cruises resuming. TUI's Mein Schiff is already sailing, Hurtigruten is sailing, and in Asia, Genting's brands are sailing. Personally, I was pretty pessimistic earlier this year when 4 of our planned vacations were canceled due to COVID, but things are looking up now. I'd encourage you to look online, there are definitely signs that things are slowly going back to normal. ☺️

When do you think Miami, Tampa, or Port Canaveral will be opening up for cruises?  Europe was much more diligent across the board when it came to COVID, thus, selective itineraries exclusive to that part of the world should move forward. I’m more concerned about my 7 day Eastern on the Joy out of Miami on January 10, 2021. Any thoughts?  Based on this letter, my final payment date hasn’t changed. Hopefully it will when November ultimately gets pulled too in a couple of more weeks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

"Everything just keeps getting cancelled everywhere."

Not trying to be rude, but you know this isn't correct, right? It's a rather sweeping statement, wouldn't you agree?

If anything, the news shows that more and more things are opening up, which is the opposite of everything getting cancelled.

Examples: Greece reopening to tourism, including cruise ships starting this Saturday. Europe is opening back up, with European river cruises resuming. TUI's Mein Schiff is already sailing, Hurtigruten is sailing, and in Asia, Genting's brands are sailing. Personally, I was pretty pessimistic earlier this year when 4 of our planned vacations were canceled due to COVID, but things are looking up now. I'd encourage you to look online, there are definitely signs that things are slowly going back to normal. ☺️

Cruising from the US will be the very last to start up again, in my opinion. Looking through the CDC questions from a day or so ago, there are significant questions that remain to be answered. And until CDC is satisfied that they've been appropriately addressed, cruising just isn't going to happen from US ports. Back in April, I was optimistic that we'd see cruises start up by July 2020...wrong. Then, I said nothing til 2021. I am yet again revising my projection to April or May of 2021. So, so much work yet to be done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a random thought, being a NY'er, I honestly do not picture our Governor, who's been uber cautious with the reopening (Thankful for that by the way)...to say ok...yep, let's let a cruise ship come into NY harbor, let 1000s of people from around the world converge into NYC, board a ship, spend a week together and come back to NYC. Not this year anyway. I am booked on Nov 1, 2020 cruise to Bermuda, and with the cease of sailing through Oct 31, my guess is they will eventually cancel through the remainder of 2020...Unless a miracle happens and the virus just "disappears" like some people think. LOL... I could be totally wrong obviously, like i said...just a random thought. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

"Everything just keeps getting cancelled everywhere."

Not trying to be rude, but you know this isn't correct, right? It's a rather sweeping statement, wouldn't you agree?

If anything, the news shows that more and more things are opening up, which is the opposite of everything getting cancelled.

Examples: Greece reopening to tourism, including cruise ships starting this Saturday. Europe is opening back up, with European river cruises resuming. TUI's Mein Schiff is already sailing, Hurtigruten is sailing, and in Asia, Genting's brands are sailing. Personally, I was pretty pessimistic earlier this year when 4 of our planned vacations were canceled due to COVID, but things are looking up now. I'd encourage you to look online, there are definitely signs that things are slowly going back to normal. ☺️

Referring more in the USA. Florida numbers are high and that's where major ports are located. I don't foresee them opening soon.

Major sports are being changed, no spectators, etc. College sports where I live have all been cancelled this fall.

Can't envision them letting us on a ship with 4 or 5,000 people anytime soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Examples: Greece reopening to tourism, including cruise ships starting this Saturday. Europe is opening back up, with European river cruises resuming. TUI's Mein Schiff is already sailing, Hurtigruten is sailing, and in Asia, Genting's brands are sailing. Personally, I was pretty pessimistic earlier this year when 4 of our planned vacations were canceled due to COVID, but things are looking up now. I'd encourage you to look online, there are definitely signs that things are slowly going back to normal. ☺️

Hoping that those of us from the USA might be able to sail on some of those cruises.  I'm booked out of Buenos Aires in late January and pretty much quarantined in a "non-hot" area.  So not a big risk as a carrier, unless I pick it up at the airport.  Who knows what the situation will be 6 months from now.  News on potential vaccines is looking good at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

My conclusion is many people are canceling just before final payment. As I did. They are trying to keep the bookings they have. The longer the uncertainty the more people will cancel and avoid new bookings... so these actions are meant to retain bookings and provide some safety net on new ones.

 

I hope they extend final payment deadlines if November and/or December sailings get canceled. I am booked for Feb. 28 and not sure I will send final payment end of October if the restart is not happening.

I am booked on the Encore, 3/1/21.  If the final payment does not change for my cruise, I will save myself the aggravation and cancel the end of October.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Bingo!!! Many customers with existing reservations are contemplating cancelling at the 120 mark. If the new measuring date is 60 days, NCL gets use of the money for an additional 60 days. Wise move on NCL part to kick the proverbial can further diwn the road.

 


What money? If you haven’t made final payment all they have is your deposit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gmbhardy said:


What money? If you haven’t made final payment all they have is your deposit.

Deposits are typically paid with cash. So that it the money I reference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Deposits are typically paid with cash. So that it the money I reference.


Or CruiseNext certificates.

Edited by gmbhardy
Spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

My sister and I are booked on Bliss departing February 7th. I live on South Beach, 20 minutes from POM. It will be easy to see when port activity resumes. My sister's Delta tickets were paid for with points and can be canceled almost anytime. The problem is this cruise is to celebrate a significant birthday that occurs mid cruise. A later cruise will be ordinary. so potential disappointment is unavoidable under the circumstances.

Mary

Edited by warburg
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gmbhardy said:


Or CruiseNext certificates.

Whatev. My point was made. Not interested in dissection of percentage of cash deposits vs cruise next. The point is NCL was wise to reduce final payment date as it allows them to retain bookings that have cash deposits for an additional two months. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, warburg said:

My sister and I are booked on Bliss departing February 7th. I live on South Beach, 20 minutes from POM. My sister's Delta tickets were paid for with points and can be canceled almost anytime. The problem si this cruise is to celebrate a significant birthday that occurs mid cruise.  Any other cruise will be ordinary. The uncertainty unavoidable under the circumstances.

Mary

Always be wise. Significant birthdays are important and you may need to make alternate plans or delay the celebration until a better time. Of course, it is not optimal, but we are in a time of pandemic. Safety and well being is the priority over significant birthdays. Yes, the uncertainty is unavoidable for the foreseeable future. Happy bday to your sister, too!!

Edited by luv2kroooz
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want a cash refund of your deposit do you still have to cancel at the 120 day point?  We have reservations on the August 14, 2021 sailing of the Bliss.  Right now the balance due date is April 16, 2021.    If I wait and decide to cancel 60 days out will I still receive a cash refund or have to accept FCC? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eukonsmom4602 said:

Just a random thought, being a NY'er, I honestly do not picture our Governor, who's been uber cautious with the reopening (Thankful for that by the way)...to say ok...yep, let's let a cruise ship come into NY harbor, let 1000s of people from around the world converge into NYC, board a ship, spend a week together and come back to NYC. Not this year anyway. I am booked on Nov 1, 2020 cruise to Bermuda, and with the cease of sailing through Oct 31, my guess is they will eventually cancel through the remainder of 2020...Unless a miracle happens and the virus just "disappears" like some people think. LOL... I could be totally wrong obviously, like i said...just a random thought. 

I agree with you re Cuomo and that there will be no sailings in the US before 2021.   I still think sailing will resume in Florida first sometime in 2021 before NY.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...