Carnival sale of Cunard rumoured

BigAl94

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

News Flash:  every year a new crop of old people comes along.  The noisy crowds start to lose attraction for them, they start to look for somewhat quieter, more thoughtful experiences - they have actually learned something over the years.   Even the members of generation Z have the potential to grow up, to learn, to smell the roses.

But, they do need to grow up first.

I agree. I would only add that even among the young there are those who will be drawn to what Cunard offers. I teach at a large university. My students are boisterous and most dress as casually as possible. And yet when I tell them about my voyages on QM2, many want to know more. How long is a transatlantic crossing? How much does it cost? Do people really dress up for dinner? Is it really as relaxing as I said it is? One young woman told me that she would be getting married in a few months and that she was so impressed by my stories and by what she had seen online that she and her fiancé had changed their plans so they could spend their honeymoon on QM2.      

• Like 1

On every one  of our Cunard sailings there have been at least a few younger couples enjoying the experience - certainly not the demographic one sees on Carnival or NCL, but certainly enough to put the lie to the notion that Cunard is just for today’s elderly who will take their appreciation of formality with them as they leave the planet.

42 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

On every one  of our Cunard sailings there have been at least a few younger couples enjoying the experience - certainly not the demographic one sees on Carnival or NCL, but certainly enough to put the lie to the notion that Cunard is just for today’s elderly who will take their appreciation of formality with them as they leave the planet.

Of course Cunard is not just for the elderly people and I believe there are many young people who would like to try traditional and elegant cruising.  It is a stereotype that all young people are looking for discos and parties like on Carnival. 

10 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm sure they would find a way to keep all the Grille suites occupied and not use the inside cabins.

They will definitely do it.  This is what the German line Tui Cruises has done on its pioneering post-pandemic cruises since July.  They do not sell interior and window cabins at all, only suites and balcony cabins.

2 hours ago, Thaxted said:

I agree. I would only add that even among the young there are those who will be drawn to what Cunard offers. I teach at a large university. My students are boisterous and most dress as casually as possible. And yet when I tell them about my voyages on QM2, many want to know more. How long is a transatlantic crossing? How much does it cost? Do people really dress up for dinner? Is it really as relaxing as I said it is? One young woman told me that she would be getting married in a few months and that she was so impressed by my stories and by what she had seen online that she and her fiancé had changed their plans so they could spend their honeymoon on QM2.      

My son and his new wife spent their honeymoon on board QV last year. They loved every minute and are desperate to get back on board. 

3 hours ago, Thaxted said:

Statement of fact. Cunard has a good following among the younger  gay LGBT crowd especially on the transatlantic crossings on the Queen Mary 2.

They are likely to return to the crossings. And the next generation of older cunard passengers will come through as well. People also use the crossings on the QM2 as a way of moving home if they are moving from America to England or vice versa. I have met a few people doing that on every cruise I have been on. The themed crossings also draw people in as well. 

Cunard will survive if it remains as much Cunard as it can. If it sold the future depends upon who buys it and how they treat it. It could be screwed up really badly.

36 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Statement of fact. Cunard has a good following among the younger  gay LGBT crowd especially on the transatlantic crossings on the Queen Mary 2.

They are likely to return to the crossings.

Interesting what you say, because this is the first time on a scocial site I've seen this matter mentioned.

It's true.  My Wife and I met a couple (on their second Honeymoon-which still trying to work out) on the QV doing a Baltic, and discussd the same thing.  And one of the reasons why Cunard was popular, was the way they were treated by Cunard guests, because there were no embarrassing silences when first meeting and engaging in polite first conversations.  So they felt comfortable.

Think this is this is just one essence of Cunard, one feels comfortable, like being part of a family.

Don't think there is another line that could replicate the essences of Cunard.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

10 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Interesting what you say, because this is the first time on a scocial site I've seen this matter mentioned.

It's true.  My Wife and I met a couple (on their second Honeymoon-which still trying to work out) on the QV doing a Baltic, and discussd the same thing.  And one of the reasons why Cunard was popular, was the way they were treated by Cunard guests, because there were no embarrassing silences when first meeting and engaging in polite first conversations.  So they felt comfortable.

Think this is this is just one essence of Cunard, one feels comfortable, like being part of a family.

Don't think there is another line that could replicate the essences of Cunard.

The essence of Cunard is not just the brand or the experience but the staff as well. And the staff that remember you time and time again. I wonder how many of them will return?. I wonder if Declan and DJ Chris will come back and what Grant is doing in his hometown of Cowdenbeath at the moment. Grant is the only Cowdenbeath fan I have ever met and we were lambasting the fact that the only scottish football in nyc appear to be rangers and celtic. (I used to live in nyc) They are a good bunch of lads. I wonder how many will come back. But it won't be the same without them. We should have been onboard this past April. I am really gutted.

Edited by ace2542

Agreed Chuck - my first crossing was QE2 in 1979 at age 20 and looking forward to a return to sailing.

We were last on QM2 for the National Symphony voyage in 2018 and certainly saw a wide representation of ages and demographics enjoying the Cunard experience.

16 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Agreed Chuck - my first crossing was QE2 in 1979 at age 20 and looking forward to a return to sailing.

We were last on QM2 for the National Symphony voyage in 2018 and certainly saw a wide representation of ages and demographics enjoying the Cunard experience.

Hi, 

My first crossing was on the QE2 in 1984. My most recent crossing was on the QM2 in April 2019. I agree that there was a wide variety of ages represented on the ship. I think Cunard does an excellent job entertaining passengers during sea days. After all, they have 180 years of experience. 😃 One of my favorite activities is afternoon tea in the Queens Room.

Chuck  

On 8/8/2020 at 3:38 PM, ace2542 said:

They are likely to return to the crossings.

I resemble this remark.  First crossing on QE2 in 1981 when I was in college going over to study in France, and now married to another ocean liner enthusiast, we have crossed together a few times on QE2 and QM2.  Of all the travel I miss in the pandemic, being at sea on QM2 is at the top of my list.  Mid-Atlantic, on that beautiful ship, suspended between the US and Europe, is sheer heaven.  I cannot wait to return at the first opportunity.    

Many, many more crossings anticipated between now and the when I make my final crossing.   Hang in there Cunard!

Edited by ClipperinSFO
  • Like 3