Concerning the 125% Offer and an October Cruise

Tom O.

I am trying to advise some friends who have a mid-October 2020 cruise booked. They are expecting Viking to cancel that cruise, but so far they haven't.

They would like to have that 125% offer to book a cruise next year, but are concerned there won't be any availability if they wait any longer for Viking to cancel the cruise.

I have two questions 1.) Does the 125% offer just cover the cost of the cruise? Or does it also cover the  cost excursions and airfare that they also booked through Viking?

And 2.) Has anyone heard anything about October cruises? Does anyone think they will actually happen?

Their cruise is an Adriatic Sea cruise.

25 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Our FCV could be used for any costs up to embarkation - SS Package, gratuities, air upgrades, pre-booked shore-ex, etc.

I guess I didn't make my question clear. What I wanted to know, did you get 125% credit for cancelled flights and excursions as well as the cost of the cruise? Or did you get 125% credit for the cruise, but just received 100% credit for the flight and excursions.

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Don't know what VO will do but just today Norwegian, Regent and Oceania cancelled all their October sailings.

Yes, I heard that too, about Norwegian. I didn't know about Regent and Oceania, but then I remembered that Norwegian owns both of those cruise lines.

4 hours ago, Mitina said:

FCV credit was equal to 125% of any money previously paid to Viking. That included for us the Viking air, excursions, insurance, post extension and the cruise itself. 

Unless any part of the payment is already in vouchers, which do not qualify for the 125%. The vouchers will be returned to your account and an additional voucher for 125% will be issued for the cash balance.

This is not gospel but I've heard of instances where passengers called Viking before a cruise was officially cancelled and were able to move the cruise to a future date with 125% value and other benefits. It's perhaps worth a phone call.

4 hours ago, Virgo61 said:

This is not gospel but I've heard of instances where passengers called Viking before a cruise was officially cancelled and were able to move the cruise to a future date with 125% value and other benefits. It's perhaps worth a phone call.

I moved to a different cruise date just hours before the official announcement cancelling our June cruise and DID NOT get future cruise vouchers worth 125% for the portion that was put into vouchers; I got a combination of cash and vouchers equal to the amount I had paid for the cruise I was cancelling. Not only that but when the cruise we moved to was cancelled and we accepted the 125% vouchers only the cash portion was eligible for the 125%.  

Edited by Peregrina651

Once you take the voucher and use it to book another cruise, it cannot cash out. We had a June cruise canceled by Viking. We chose the cash refund. Friends chose the 125% voucher.  At the time, it said that they still would get a cash refund at the end of 2 years...if they did not use the voucher. They then booked another cruise using that voucher. That cruise was also canceled. They then asked for the cash.  Sadly, they then learned that once they used the voucher, it had to stay a voucher.  They are not happy.  Read the fine print, ask questions and don't make assumptions.  

our april cruise on the sky was cancelled .... it seemed to take forever for that decision though, some anxious moments.  we took the 125% voucher.  reading redtravels post i hope our re-booked cruise in oct 2021 goes...or we may be too old and feeble to remember we have a cruise booked if that has to be pushed back!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xeena said:

our april cruise on the sky was cancelled .... it seemed to take forever for that decision though, some anxious moments.  we took the 125% voucher.  reading redtravels post i hope our re-booked cruise in oct 2021 goes...or we may be too old and feeble to remember we have a cruise booked if that has to be pushed back!

Vouchers can be cashed in at the end of two years, I believe, but I am not clear if the two year wait is fixed or resets with each canceled cruise.

We have an Oct cruise booked and paid for that we think will probably be cancelled but we will not be taking the 125% voucher.  We had one cancelled in June and did use the voucher for one next June.  I think we should hear something soon about October.

Sharon

That is a sure sign they are cancelling. People are also reporting that they can't get into MVJ or that they can't access a booking for October - December, another sure sign.

If this round of cancellations effects you, be reminded that there is a response deadline if you are asking for your cash back.

READ THE CANCELLATION MEMO IN ITS ENTIRETY!!

Not only is there a response deadline for cash back but a 125% voucher may also be attached. Each guest gets their own voucher, so one e-mail for each guest, not for each cabin.  If you have used a voucher to pay for a cancelled cruise, the voucher will be returned to your account. The 125% voucher will be calculated on the cash balance.