2 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Empress, 48,563 tons and 1,840 passengers

Majesty, 74,077 tons and 2,767 passengers

Grandeur, 73,817 tons and 2,440 passengers

i agree, Grandeur has more balcony’s and more to do.

If Royal follows market leader, all three will be gone to reduce costs. 😐

7 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

If Royal follows market leader, all three will be gone to reduce costs. 😐

If you focus on revenue per passenger carried, Royal is the market leader.  

While old, these ships are paid for and make money.  It's hard to give up a tool that generates gobs of cash.  If this virus thing stretches out they'll reach a point they'll have to, until them, why discard something that makes money?  

Granted they make more money with mega ships, but these ships don't lose money and there are markets that can't be served with mega ships.  It might never make sense to put new money into a smaller new build to satisfy the same market, but while these ships stay well out of operating in the red, it makes little business sense to get rid of them.

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

Forget Dieselgate, there are two VW in the garage that require my constant attention.   We have vowed never again.  Fortunately there are thousands of YouTube videos given the tendency for issues.   

The devil's in the details.  More suites on Vision class.  94 to 63 on MJ.  (Empress has 69)

Balconies on Vision class (136 of them) garner a premium.   With no balcony cabins on Majesty (except suites) that's a con in the comparison as well.  Bigger OV and Interior cabins on Vision class to seal the deal.

The disjointed layout of Majesty has got to mess with newbies.  You can't get there from here, try another deck.  No that tween deck isn't for awkward teenagers.  

While Sovereign class where game changers in their day that led to what cruising is today and while I appreciate their historical significance, their day has passed. 

EDIT - Vision class has a DL and a CL for the slam dunk.

My Q5 is smooth as silk. Never an issue. 

Approaching 50,000 and brakes msy need replacing 

MJ may sppeal to newbies who aren't as jaded as us. Price is king

Edited by John&LaLa
6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

MJ may sppeal to newbies who aren't as jaded as us. Price is king

True.  It's hard to think like a newb.

When price is king, there are other lines that will capture that crowd.  

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

True.  It's hard to think like a newb.

When price is king, there are other lines that will capture that crowd.  

No idea what the post Covid future will be like

Personally, I think MJ, NE, and all the Vision class is on life support 

I also don't think Baltimore and Tampa have a viable future, and Royal doesn't need small ship ports of call either.

And the stock could return to $30 in the near term.  😉

But thats just my unsubstantiated opinion

Edited by John&LaLa
11 minutes ago, twangster said:

Agreed.  Tick, Tock... waiting to buy in some more.  

Hopefully I made enough on last sale to double my position if I get back in. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa
32 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Do you get more OBC with more shares? If so how much does it top at?

I don't think so.  

If we do get a second block of 100, I'll put it in Laura's name since we do take a fair share of solo's😉

You do get extra for longer cruises like TA's

Edited by John&LaLa
2 hours ago, twangster said:

If you focus on revenue per passenger carried, Royal is the market leader.  

While old, these ships are paid for and make money.  It's hard to give up a tool that generates gobs of cash.  If this virus thing stretches out they'll reach a point they'll have to, until them, why discard something that makes money?  

Granted they make more money with mega ships, but these ships don't lose money and there are markets that can't be served with mega ships.  It might never make sense to put new money into a smaller new build to satisfy the same market, but while these ships stay well out of operating in the red, it makes little business sense to get rid of them.

Great points if Royal can afford to maintain assets until profitable again. Currently the ships are more of a liability.

By definition, market leader is determined by having largest profit share in the industry, not profit margins. For example, although Amazon’s profit margins are very small, they are the market leader for the online retail industry. While Carnival’s margins may be smaller, they still have double the market share compared to Royal.

Hopefully ships start sailing again and no need to sell anything!

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Forget Dieselgate, there are two VW in the garage that require my constant attention.   We have vowed never again.  Fortunately there are thousands of YouTube videos given the tendency for issues.   

I guess I should forget about buying that slick-looking, slightly used VW CC sedan I had my eye on.

The VW CC, which is about as well known here as a Skoda. 😀

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I guess I should forget about buying that slick-looking, slightly used VW CC sedan I had my eye on.

The VW CC, which is about as well known here as a Skoda. 😀

Heck, I remember the Phaeton

Empress of the Seas
Cruise ship

Images

Description

Description

Empress of the Seas is a cruise ship operated by Royal Caribbean International. She is the sole ship of her class and the oldest vessel in the Royal Caribbean fleet. Wikipedia
Launched: August 25, 1989
Length: 692′
Capacity: 1,840
Yard number: G29
Crew: 668
Speed: 19.5 knots (36.1 km/h; 22.4 mph)
18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

The one thing Her Majesty has going for her is sheer passenger capacity. She holds more than any Vision ship, including the stretched Enchantment.  

Grandeur is barely bigger than Empress, but she does have more revenue generating a pace

Can grandeur or majesty get into some of the ports empress has scheduled though? 

Im hoping I’m wrong and all 3 stay. Haven’t gotten a chance to do empress yet so would like her to be around 

Empress is the only one of these that can fit into St George, Bermuda.  Fun fact The former Celebrity Horizon and Zenith were built to the maximum size to fit into St George.  Sorry to see them go soon to the breakers.

1 hour ago, CruisingFA said:

Can grandeur or majesty get into some of the ports empress has scheduled though? 

Im hoping I’m wrong and all 3 stay. Haven’t gotten a chance to do empress yet so would like her to be around 

No idea, but MJ got into Cuba

On 7/30/2020 at 8:21 AM, SOUNDSGOOD! said:

I REALLY hope this isnt true!    i am booked on her in January...........

We are booked on her in February. Let’s say it is true, would they just cancel the cruises or try to rearrange their ships to cover our itinerary?

10 minutes ago, riviera said:

We are booked on her in February. Let’s say it is true, would they just cancel the cruises or try to rearrange their ships to cover our itinerary?

The remaining ships have their own itineraries. I think RCI might offer you a deal on an existing itinerary on another ship, but I wouldn't expect them to alter other ship itineraries to cover Empress’s.

24 minutes ago, BeachDiva101 said:

This thread started July 30th and now it is a month later and we still don’t know the Empresses fate.  Is she sold? Is she gonna be scrapped?  Is she gonna sail next year?  I know RC continues to deny she is sold.  

RCI stil shows bookings for June 2021. Canada & New England 7 days and Bahamas