1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

Havana has a tunnel under the harbor,  so its draught is my understanding. 9.75 meters is the limit

Far from actual nautical charts but these screen shots don't seem to indicate the tunnel is the limiting factor.

Screenshot_20200810-102023_C-MAP.thumb.JPG.32ea28cbe36070a3979cba9d9f4f8a7a.JPG

Screenshot_20200810-102132_C-MAP.thumb.JPG.76c4dd6b2bc510f87b56a06b88ea3393.JPG

The bottom near the cruise terminals does appear to be a factor.

Screenshot_20200810-102108_C-MAP.thumb.JPG.a052ff426f6336ebfda2b8a254f1f2ea.JPG

Don't know if dredging is an option.  If you remove too much bottom the piers may not be stable if their foundations aren't set deep enough.  Old buildings and foundations so it might be a lot of work.  

There was a company hired to expand port capabilities and allow larger ships but that was years in the making before the ban.   I'm guessing that didn't involve replacing the tunnel or the harbor and channel in general isn't the problem. 

Edited by twangster

From the investors call, Royal is incurring costs to reposition ships to various locations so they can be laid up in their designated state.  The goal is to further reduce monthly operating expenses to keep the ships in the fleet until cruising can resume.  Restarting won't be a light switch for all ships, some will remain in storage until they need them.

It's possible ship movements are occurring to this goal - finding a home to place the ship in some form of storage, cold or warm based on the ship and the anticipated return to service for that ship.

They announced no plans to eliminate additional ships beyond Pullmantur on the call.

Where is the ship?
Passenger Ship EMPRESS OF THE SEAS is currently located at EMED - East Mediterranean at position 35° 47' 57.048" N, 21° 31' 31.404" E as reported by MarineTraffic Terrestrial Automatic Identification System on 2020-08-10 15:39 UTC (3 hours, 59 minutes ago)
The wind in this area at that time blows from Northwest direction at force 3 Beaufort.

Where is this vessel going to?
The vessel departed from VALLETTA, MT on 2020-08-09 15:16 LT (UTC +2) and is currently sailing at 13.2 knots with East direction heading to HERACLIO, GR with reported Estimated Time of Arrival at 2020-08-11 11:00 LT (UTC +2) local time (in 13 hours, 20 minutes )

Empress is headed to Greece as of this moment , 
On 8/9/2020 at 3:25 PM, twangster said:

In and out of Malta fairly quickly, possible crew movement.  Next stop... Heraclio.

NE-0809-2020-2.thumb.jpg.641cbf51d76fe249d6e16e6aed4ee5be.jpg

20 minutes ago, wendyp247 said:
Empress is headed to Greece as of this moment ,

No news since yesterday..

9 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I didn't realize that the Infinity and the Constellation were also in the area.  Unless they are there to transport crew from the region when a restart occurs, it doesn't look good for those 4 ships.  I wonder how many ships can be beached at one time.

Since Infinity and Constellation are considered rather modern, built in 2001 or so, they seem very safe to survive this crisis, however the goal might be to sell those two ships off once markets will recover and not to sail again for the X brand.

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Of course they are going to say that.  They are not going to announce major plans like that based on an impromptu question.

They hinted again today that they are also looking into selling of ships (for which I would see Infinity and Constellation in the race) and other measures to save costs. Hence it seems to be a matter of week or a couple of months before Empress and maybe even Majesty will end up in Turkey for dismantling.

26 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Why is Empress making so many quick port stops?  Has cruising restarted and we don't know about it?  Putzing around Europe for potential buyers? LOL 🤣

My guess is that she is dropping off crew members.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:07 PM, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Now I need to look at what's available on the Empress.  This might be our last chance for a truly beneficial L&S. 🤣

Anybody see anything good? 

We have a B2B on the Empress for June 2021. Bermuda and Canada out of Bayonne.

50 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

She is the sole ship of her class and the oldest vessel in the Royal Caribbean fleet so I doubt if she has a future.

She's been written off before as having no future, but maybe this will be the final nail. Makes for good intrigue though!

31 minutes ago, Chrislynn55 said:

We're booked on that cruise and on a May 2021 Bermuda sailing as well. They probably won't happen but I'm still hoping...

I’m booked on the May 10, 2021 Bermuda sailing. I’m also hoping as well.....