Cruise Critic Community
Dwight1

Crazy pricing to lure cruisers

I’m booked in a sky suite on the 1/30/21 Summit out of San Juan. I booked it on board another ship in February 2019. Due to the virus I was looking to rebook in December 2021. The lift and shift is only for one year or more later so that does not apply. I’m already booked on the 10day Millenium on 2/22/2022. I checked on the same Summit I’m booked on now for December and my Sky suite is now almost $2,000 more than I paid with the promotional discounts applied. What gives????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As always supply and demand.  Lots of lift and shift activity and the possibility that they are not making all cabins available in order to sail with reduced capacity. 

The comment I'll add to this, is that it seems the Summit trips out of San Juan have jumped more than any of the other ones I've looked at which makes me wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes regarding those sailings    The OP is correct, the trip we are on in March of '21 has seen increases of over $1,000 PP in all categories, some have increased almost $2,000 PP and this is only a 7 night trip.  I don't know how it can be supply and demand when for example there is not one RS sold on our week, but the price has gone up by $1,000 PP in the past 3 months. Many of the inside cabins are shown as sold, but I'm guessing they have just been blocked for capacity controls, but most of the other categories have plenty of openings yet prices are really climbing.

I frequently look at prices for various itineraries I'm interested in, Europe, Hawaii, and Caribbean for mid 2021.  ALL of them are much more expensive than they were pre COVID.  One crazy example was a cruise next May from Honolulu to Vancouver....Sunset Veranda was around $5200 for 2 people with all 4 perks.  Now its $9033.  Crazy....that's a whole 2nd cruise I could take.   It certainly doesn't seem they are trying to lure cruises by pricing.  It's actually deterring me at this point.  

So the opposite of the title - I got confused and thought you had found some cheap prices..  I have yet to find anything cheaper - just glad we lift and shifted everything.. But if everyone did that its no wonder the prices are so high as the ships will be filling up faster than normal

Crazy prices to deter cruisers, maybe!  Our Silhouette TA in April (will most likely be cancelled) was booked at $4500 total for 2 pax including 4 perks.  Same category cabin is now $12,000.  I would never pay that for a 1A cabin!

Only deal I've seen lately is the Feb 27, 2020 7 night Infinity cruise.  The time frame had been a charter but the charter was moved out a year.  Sky Suite is $1499 pp with 4 perks.  Booked it yesterday and so did many others.   If we are lucky things will be better enough by then for this sailing to sail.

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Only deal I've seen lately is the Feb 27, 2020 7 night Infinity cruise.

Is that 2021 or 2022? 

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Only deal I've seen lately is the Feb 27, 2020 7 night Infinity cruise.  The time frame had been a charter but the charter was moved out a year.  Sky Suite is $1499 pp with 4 perks.  Booked it yesterday and so did many others.   If we are lucky things will be better enough by then for this sailing to sail.

there was also one on the Infinity for the 5 day cruise before, Feb 22, 2021.  The  SS was $999 with all the perks.  AQ $749 with none.   That price was there for a day and then jumped to $1499.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

80A64D93-38EB-4B95-BCB2-53E2425F4294.png

Edited by miched

Ok, I know this is not mainstream but we were supposed to be sailing on Flora in the Galapagos on this coming Sunday. We had made final payment in April hoping to be cancelled. We were (obviously) and we rebooked for next year about a month ago before we got our FCC. The new cruise (next July) is about 10% less than what we paid for this year. And we got 125% so we may be in for another cruise later on. I think though this may just be a Galapagos aberration.

We have 2 cruises (Dec 5 and Feb 27) we booked within the past 5 weeks at very good prices for Suites, now they just have to bring the Infinity to Florida.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Is that 2021 or 2022? 

It is 2021.  Only 6-8 Sky Suites were  still available when we booked last night.  We love the Celebrity Suites on the M class  so booked one.  

Your title is confusing - I thought you had found LOW prices to lure cruisers.  Who'd be lured by rip-off prices?

I guess what I was trying to say that I would think prices would be heavily discounted to lure customers who are all very Leary of cruising right now instead of jacking up prices to the point we all know it is a rip off. I get “ sale” emails every day from Celebrity and I know now they are all total garbage. All it does is make me want to switch to another line when I cruise again and I’m elite status, a so called loyal cruiser.

10 hours ago, garyl62 said:

The comment I'll add to this, is that it seems the Summit trips out of San Juan have jumped more than any of the other ones I've looked at which makes me wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes regarding those sailings    The OP is correct, the trip we are on in March of '21 has seen increases of over $1,000 PP in all categories, some have increased almost $2,000 PP and this is only a 7 night trip.  I don't know how it can be supply and demand when for example there is not one RS sold on our week, but the price has gone up by $1,000 PP in the past 3 months. Many of the inside cabins are shown as sold, but I'm guessing they have just been blocked for capacity controls, but most of the other categories have plenty of openings yet prices are really climbing.

We are booked on Summit 4/24/21 in a sky suite. We booked it about a month ago after cancelling our Nov 3 on Reflection and the current price is $1000 more than we booked

2 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

I guess what I was trying to say that I would think prices would be heavily discounted to lure customers who are all very Leary of cruising right now instead of jacking up prices to the point we all know it is a rip off. I get “ sale” emails every day from Celebrity and I know now they are all total garbage. All it does is make me want to switch to another line when I cruise again and I’m elite status, a so called loyal cruiser.

All the cruise lines are the same, constant new promos most prices  are higher than what those who booked early paid .   IME regular checking has almost always resulted in a better deal.  There really doesn’t seem to be need for deep discounting.  There is a pent up demand, lots of FCCs to be used and initially cruises will sail at reduced capacity .

16 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

Just checked again and it is now $2100 more  WHAT????????

Called dynamic pricing,  a  bunch of bookings and the computer adjusts prices up.  No bookings for awhile and price may drop or a perk added.    Very similar to how airlines operate except with the airline once you book you can’t reprice your ticket.

We have two bookings, Constellation 26 Feb 2021 and Millennium 21 Feb 22 both in CS

we grabbed both cabins during a promotion and switched 2 previous on board bookings.

Just checked and the same category for both cruises is over £1k or about $1300 per person more. We are still unsure if we will be sailing in 2021 we could lift and shift then wait it out to see what happens but we are going to see what things are like come final payment.

15 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Crazy prices to deter cruisers, maybe!  Our Silhouette TA in April (will most likely be cancelled) was booked at $4500 total for 2 pax including 4 perks.  Same category cabin is now $12,000.  I would never pay that for a 1A cabin!

Even more so, who would pay that for a crossing, for any cabin?

Literally, that would have paid for 4 of our previous crossings.  In full.  And still had enough change for a good chunk of the 5th.

23 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Even more so, who would pay that for a crossing, for any cabin?

Literally, that would have paid for 4 of our previous crossings.  In full.  And still had enough change for a good chunk of the 5th.

Crazy for sure!  

12 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Yes I get that now  🙂 

I guess it was bound to happen -- And tbf its not just Celeb -- I have moved Celeb NCL and Princess to next year and the same thing happens when you try to reprice its way way higher.. Fortunately all have honored the original deals..

But the maths are quite simple... Next year instead of the ships slowly filling up, they all got a huge amount of lifts and shifts filling cabins in one go.. The algorithm they use just keeps rising the price because in its eyes demand is outstripping supply compared to a normal years demand curve... Ordinarily in a few months (unless they manually tweak it) you would see the prices start to fall back but at the moment I doubt they want to or it will  because they may be forced to sail at 60% lvls for a while..

On 7/30/2020 at 4:36 PM, Lady Arwen said:

April is a long way out, you really think it’ll be canceled?

The level of obfuscation by the cruise lines for future sailings, those beyond COVID-19 restrictions, CLIA and CDC guidance, caution on the part of potential passengers, is simply amazing.  Cruise lines are in the business of profit.  If they cannot profit they will close down.  The current phase is offer enticements like L&S to keep potential passengers committed and add in mix of obviously "too good to be true" pricing to catch more down payments knowing full well that it cannot be delivered.  Willing to wager that the extreme high prices are on cruises the lines believe have a chance of going while the "deals" are on those they know will have to be cancelled.  Just think about it:  cruise lines are collectively hemorrhaging over $1.5billion/month, an unsustainable level.  That has to be recouped to pay creditors.  Increased costs (cleaning, additional crew, expanded medical facilities, higher port costs, higher insurance, even some interior redesign, etc) all indicate that prices will climb for the same cabin level pre-covid.  

Wishful thinking that cruise lines would be honest with its potential (and especially past) passengers.  However that is not in the nature of the beast.  I would much prefer to be treated honestly than lead on by promises cruise lines have no intention of keeping.

Based on what is going on in our country and the world, we have cancelled our Jan 2021 cruises.  Our next "scheduled cruise after 1/21 is March 2021.  We also might cancel also.