Jump to content

Captain Albert post about the Ryndam/Rotterdam name change


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, ski ww said:

Rotterdam V was my first HAL cruise in fall of '79

 

Mine was July 27, 1970.

 

Check out the CC Message Board "Whatever Happened To.....???"

 

Remembrances are being posted and we hope for more.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Mine was July 27, 1970.

 

Check out the CC Message Board "Whatever Happened To.....???"

 

Remembrances are being posted and we hope for more.  

Mine was in 1993, and I am 55 years old😇

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Mine was in 1993, and I am 55 years old😇

 

Join us on that thread!

 

If we can't cruise now, we can at least gain some enjoyment from reading the experiences of others.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 12:50 AM, Sir PMP said:

I sailed on the Amsterdam out of Rotterdam and nobody was there😏

Reason must have been the name 🙂 or the departure on a weekday (people do work in Rotterdam 😉 )

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Reason must have been the name 🙂 or the departure on a weekday (people do work in Rotterdam 😉 )

 

 

 

MIght have been the name 😉. We sailed in on a week day to Rotterdam  (on the Rotterdam) and not only was the scenery glorious, we were welcomed in big time with much fanfare.  People were waving and cheering before we even got to the dock and then there was serious fuss.

I was really sorry we were disembarking and would not be able to see the fun when the ship sailed away and the fireworks.

The Rotterdam V (hope I got that number right) was quite close by and looked fabulous.  She’s been preserved well as a hotel.  Fabulous way to celebrate a retired ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kazu said:

 

MIght have been the name 😉. We sailed in on a week day to Rotterdam  (on the Rotterdam) and not only was the scenery glorious, we were welcomed in big time with much fanfare.  People were waving and cheering before we even got to the dock and then there was serious fuss.

I was really sorry we were disembarking and would not be able to see the fun when the ship sailed away and the fireworks.

The Rotterdam V (hope I got that number right) was quite close by and looked fabulous.  She’s been preserved well as a hotel.  Fabulous way to celebrate a retired ship.

 

During my VOV cruise, when Rotterdam VI sailed by Rotterdam V, Rotterdam VI saluted her with her whistle several times.  Somehow, Rotterdam V was able to respond and we heard a return greeting.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

During my VOV cruise, when Rotterdam VI sailed by Rotterdam V, Rotterdam VI saluted her with her whistle several times.  Somehow, Rotterdam V was able to respond and we heard a return greeting.  

Thanks Kazu! It gives many Rotterdammers and Friends of HAL the shivers, every time the two ships meet.  🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad to see that HAL changed the name of the latest new build to Rotterdam, lots of history there. Hopefully some time in the future we can take a cruise out of Rotterdam and spent a night or two on the old Rotterdam. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Thanks Kazu! It gives many Rotterdammers and Friends of HAL the shivers, every time the two ships meet.  🙂

I think most of the hotel ships still have working horns.  I know I heard RotterdamV when Rotterdam VI came into Rotterdam.  Also, Queen Mary still has most of her horns, and there's a daily blast at noon.  One of her horns is on loan to QM2 and I make it a point to go up to deck 13 sea days at noon for the daily horn test.  I suspect the one on QE2 in Dubai also works although I can't verify it.

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first trip on the Rotterdam V was a round trip transatlantic crossing in 1963 for a trip to meet my grandfather and the rest of my family for the first time. An unforgettable journey. Have also cruised several times on Rotterdam VI and will miss her. Also enjoyed staying at the Rotterdam V hotel. It was very interesteing to see all the areas of the ship we couldn't reach from tourist class! My family is from an area about a half hour from Rotterdam and Zuid Holland is my favorite place in the world. 

 

Shout out to Cooper 10-8 - I always wondered how you knew so much Dutch, but your recent post indicating your place of birth solved that riddle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, surfcitygirl said:

My first trip on the Rotterdam V was a round trip transatlantic crossing in 1963 for a trip to meet my grandfather and the rest of my family for the first time. An unforgettable journey. Have also cruised several times on Rotterdam VI and will miss her. Also enjoyed staying at the Rotterdam V hotel. It was very interesteing to see all the areas of the ship we couldn't reach from tourist class! My family is from an area about a half hour from Rotterdam and Zuid Holland is my favorite place in the world. 

 

A thread has been started titled Great Cruise Memories on CC's "Whatever Happened To...." in the Cruise Discussion Forum.  Join us, please.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic's State of the Industry Report - Trends & Future Outlook
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...