I am thinking about the Officers and crew!!

Today I was thinking of the officers and crew and what effect the “shutdown” has had on their lives.  I know most CC members have personal relationships with many of the crew, we certainly do.  

It is obviously a personal and financial hardship but it must be also an emotional hardship.  For many of the crew the ship and their fellow workers are a second family.  This has been expressed to us more than once.  Think of the separation from their friends and in some cases their significant other.  

I think we are the lucky ones.  We have our friends and family and for the most part we are secure financially.  We complain about the smallest issue.  We all wish that life would return to “normal” and we bemoan the fact that we aren’t cruising.  Many of the crew are dealing with much more uncertainty that are we.  We have been in email communications with a crew member and she says I know more about the future than she does (that comes from my monitoring the CC posts).   Obviously I have no idea about the future but she has no communication from Crystal.

I think back to boarding the ship for a new cruise and the wonderful reception you get from the crew.  Many have become our friends and to be honest we miss them as much the Crystal cruise experience.  The entertainers, the lecturers, the ambassadors the guest teachers are as much a part of the Crystal family as the crew.  We miss them all.

I wish we could collectively communicate with them and if possible help them in some small way.  In the past we have contributed to the Crew Welfare Fund but even that is not possible now.  I guess we are really helpless to assist those in the greatest need.  I hope that some of the crew monitors CC to understand we care.  

Please don’t let this topic get into another thread about the Corona virus or delays in refunds.  We each need to think that our problems are really small compared to those of the crew.  Let’s all think of them and their future.  We really want to cruise for our benefit but in reality it also for their benefit!!

Very nice thoughts.

Our thoughts go out to the crew on all the vessels, their families and those who are from Crystal cruises on land.

I previously looked into seeing if some type of fund could be administered by Crystal and they checked on this for me and it was not possible.  I had suggested something like a crew welfare fund.

You can at least reach out to Crystal Crew and those on land in different ways.

One is what you just did as many do read Cruise Critic.

Another way is Face Book.  We have the Crystal Society Family Group which several from Crystal read and you can also join the Crystal Cruise Crew page.  

Our heart goes out to everyone from Crystal.  We talk about the Crystal family and I do think of them as our family and as you said this is a very stressful time when one is not sure when they can return to work and knowing the industry they are in (including hospitably and travel) is a tough one right now to land a job.

You are absolutely right.  For most people who are on our board with some exceptions the problems we face are much smaller than what these amazing people now face.

On a related note I remember the excitement when we were on Serenity and they had just finalized who was going from the various vessels over to Endeavor.  They had smiles on their faces.  New challenges. New Opportunity.  The excitement of being part of a new vessel.  And in a blink of an eye this has now been place on-hold.

Say a prayer this evening that we can get through this.  In fact, let's all say a prayer each night.

Keith

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Thanks for starting this thread and reminding us to focus on what’s truly important. 

Thank you for helping to remember the wonderful crews of Crystal, we truly do miss being with them.       

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, cruisr said:

One of the waiters we got friendly with and email occasionally has told us he is not going back to Crystal. Too many questions that are unanswered. 

This will be the case with others at Crystal and all the cruise lines...

Nancy 

Living in a travel destination there are many people who are unsure of what the future holds.  I feel for the crew members as they have made the ships their life's work and the uncertainty for them is unsettling.  While I know that for us the ships are a few weeks/months of distraction from our daily lives, but for them, their survival.

I hope we will all meet again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just back from a not so good cruise on a ship from Ponant - there were 33 guests on board 

In Dubrovnik  I saw the Crystal Esprit , very sad to see her with blinded windows , no gangway , in the evening a very weak light on the bridge and I saw 2 people ... aside the bridge. 

It is maybe off the thread but on the Champlain - the Ponant ship - one of the barwaiters ( from the Philipinnes ) told me had had a "function with stripes " on another company ( not Crystal ) but he said he was lucky to be able to find a job even it was the item he did some 10 years ago.  A lot of the Philipinne crew seems to be in financial problems .  No single kind of a social system ...except some minor support from Catholic organisations I was told.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 1:52 AM, vistaman said:

I am just back from a not so good cruise on a ship from Ponant - there were 33 guests on board 

In Dubrovnik  I saw the Crystal Esprit , very sad to see her with blinded windows , no gangway , in the evening a very weak light on the bridge and I saw 2 people ... aside the bridge. 

It is maybe off the thread but on the Champlain - the Ponant ship - one of the barwaiters ( from the Philipinnes ) told me had had a "function with stripes " on another company ( not Crystal ) but he said he was lucky to be able to find a job even it was the item he did some 10 years ago.  A lot of the Philipinne crew seems to be in financial problems .  No single kind of a social system ...except some minor support from Catholic organisations I was told.

It was devastating when the US pulled their bases from the PI. Those bases employed hundreds of locals, not to mention the impact the US military had on the surrounding economy. I worked with so many from the PI and I love them all. Pancit. Now I want pancit. And lumpia!

I suspect that many of the crew are suffering economically and probably emotionally from their loss of employment.  They are also missing there close friends and fellow crew members.  We have often noticed the interactions between crew members and it is quite obvious that they are friends and many of them have worked together for years.

Let’s  all hope that we will all return to the new normal ASAP.

• 2 months later...

This is an article about what crew in certain cruise lines have experienced due to COVID-19. Very sad. This should not happen again.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-cruise-ship-suicides/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=businessweek&fbclid=IwAR1_gi8iW8-f_84dxbmAlj23T_Xz0hmCFkc_jJpUtYIy1VnQ7UsPHFRS8GQ

Edited by travelberlin
  • 2 weeks later...

We just booked a cruise on the Serenity (June 20th - July 7th) from Venice to Barcelona.  We are getting our 1st vaccine shots next week and the follow ups in February.  I am cautiously optimistic that cruising will resume and we can take this cruise.  

We really are hoping that the crews can return to work!  We look forward to seeing their smiling faces when we board!  Wouldn’t that be wonderful!

49 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

We just booked a cruise on the Serenity (June 20th - July 7th) from Venice to Barcelona.  We are getting our 1st vaccine shots next week and the follow ups in February.  I am cautiously optimistic that cruising will resume and we can take this cruise.  

We really are hoping that the crews can return to work!  We look forward to seeing their smiling faces when we board!  Wouldn’t that be wonderful!

Hi happy New year to all on crystal page I have not been on this board for some time but follow with much interest 😜 tripcian you are so thoughtful of the crew & staff in the cruise industry & I love that... I miss cruising very much having had to cancel 2 last year crystal & Silversea... My husband and I along with friends had only decided this week to cancel our silversea October cruise Venice to Athens!!!😢 Living her in UK and visit Europe so often I can't see ( even with the vaccine !!!) It will be back to letting in ships ( Italy being as high death toll rate as UK) and as for all the new protecols it's not going to resemble anything like the experience we enjoy from cruising...

Yes it's so very sad with regards to crew & staff  but I think it's still a long way off yet!!

I could be wrong as I'm no expert...

Hopefully you will get to go but it's not going to be the same  but if your happy with the new protecols then happy cruising 🚢😷😷

56 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Hopefully you will get to go but it's not going to be the same  but if your happy with the new protecols then happy cruising 🚢😷😷

We are not happy with the new protocols but we are willing to put up with  them in  order to cruise again.  We agree that this cruise  may not sail but as of now Crystal doesn't require a deposit until February 22nd so nothing lost until then.  Also, I have a refund in the pipeline that covers the entire cruise so nothing out of pocket for us.

On another note, it will be interesting to see what various countries will do regarding visitors that have been vaccinated for Covid 19.  Many countries are so dependent on tourism that they  have to consider what there policy will be in this regard.  

My first booked cruise on the Crystal Bach is already cancelled -  was Eastern cruise 

I am booked on 30th May on the Serenity as well  also big question with the situation in GB 

Between I am supposed to go back on the ms Europa 2 end op April - very curious as for the moment Hapag Lloyd only takes passengers from Germany Austria and Switserland  

I hopefully will receive the vaccine in March. As mortality was very high in caring homes since the beginning of the pandemic,( aged people were qualified als covid victim without certainty)  in Belgium they started in those .

29 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

We are not happy with the new protocols but we are willing to put up with  them in  order to cruise again.  We agree that this cruise  may not sail but as of now Crystal doesn't require a deposit until February 22nd so nothing lost until then.  Also, I have a refund in the pipeline that covers the entire cruise so nothing out of pocket for us.

29 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

On another note, it will be interesting to see what various countries will do regarding visitors that have been vaccinated for Covid 19.  Many countries are so dependent on tourism that they  have to consider what there policy will be in this regard.  

Yes as you say lots of countries are dependent on tourism but just having the vaccine doesn't turn things around that quickly... You may be safe in catching it but can still pass it on & unless each& every person has had the vaccine it's not going to be normality any time soon... I'm so sorry if I'm sounding so negative because someone who has a uncruble cancer and a very positive person  each  and every year I'm not having treatment and cannot cruise  or travel is a wasted year ❤️

13 minutes ago, vistaman said:

My first booked cruise on the Crystal Bach is already cancelled -  was Eastern cruise 

I am booked on 30th May on the Serenity as well  also big question with the situation in GB 

Between I am supposed to go back on the ms Europa 2 end op April - very curious as for the moment Hapag Lloyd only takes passengers from Germany Austria and Switserland  

I hopefully will receive the vaccine in March. As mortality was very high in caring homes since the beginning of the pandemic,( aged people were qualified als covid victim without certainty)  in Belgium they started in those .

Wow vistaman hapag Lloyd I can only dream...you sound a very experienced cruiser on so many lines 🚢 but UK is going through a very high death toll at this moment and things not looking good, the fact that the government has extended the job furlough now untill April tells me we still have a long way to go...

I'm sorry I'm going a little off the title thread now so I will leave this subject but hope to get to sail again soon ( next one booked symphony April 2022  Greek islands & the holy land ...🙏