Hurtigruten 4 crew test positive

Manx buoy

39 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The trouble is, they can’t bubble passengers before they get on.

Unless passengers quarantine themselves for 14 days before the cruise, a passenger could easily bring the virus on board, and start spreading it around, without even realising. 

Once someone starts showing symptoms, the cruise would be effectively over 

Absolutely, they can jump through as many loops as they want as far as the crew are concerned but can't do anything about the passengers. It only takes one infected person shedding virus and this would also apply if an effective vaccine was available. With tens of thousands of passengers using a ship each season and those passengers going ashore one infection and it is game over. I have this feeling that the cruise industry has no future unless the result of an onboard infection is no worse than say Norovirus.

12 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Yes I did Wowzz, I had to read twice to make sure it wasn't referring to the dreaded "underlying health conditions" line...

Correct - I knew my Norwegian language skills would be useful one day!

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, but did you spot the mistake in the translation?

Can't spot the translation mistake but gobsmacked that they would allow quarantined crew members to interact with passengers. They should be using Norwegian crew as Norway is floating in cash. Wait, they are not a Norwegian company anymore.

8 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Sounds much more sensible.

Look at the Premier League footballers. All tested twice a week, one or two cases on a few weeks (all without symptoms I believe) . Those who tested positive self isolated and then came back. They all hug still when they scored goals - and no one got actually ill and all the games were played.

We have to be realistic. All evidence suggests that Covid will hang around like flu does. Passengers and crew will therefore inevitably catch it from time to time.

The difference is that even now, we know better how to fight it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

We have to be realistic. All evidence suggests that Covid will hang around like flu does. Passengers and crew will therefore inevitably catch it from time to time.

The difference is that even now, we know better how to fight it.

Do you think, even with the yet undisclosed protocols that this will be the case?

On 8/2/2020 at 12:33 AM, wowzz said:

The ships have to dock to replenish supplies, and then depart to avoid port charges and to discard grey water.

What else can they do?

Ah yes we understand that they need to replenish.  We just can’t work out why they then leave.  Is it not expensive powering up a moving ship?  I don’t really understand the way costs are worked out 

8 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Ah yes we understand that they need to replenish.  We just can’t work out why they then leave.  Is it not expensive powering up a moving ship?  I don’t really understand the way costs are worked out 

It will doubtless anchor in a sheltered bay somewhere, which will be massively cheaper than paying port fees.

18 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

The engines have to be kept running even in port, to power the generators.  As just mentioned, cheaper to be at sea than pay port fees.

19 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Another ship Paul Gaugin cruising between Bora Bora and Rangiroa owners Ponant has been blighted with this virus. Guests told to stay in they cabins.

Is anyone remotely surprised to see this happening with a common denominator being a seemingly rushed return to service?  Add to the fact the perceived arrogance of perhaps believing because they're operating a smaller operation that somehow they're in a better position to avoid an outbreak because they've  not got thousands of people onboard?  

I saw a blip on the news the other day clearly stating both Indonesia and the Philippines are the top two infected countries in SE Asia respectively, and as in the case of the idiots in the Hurtigruten offices they admit that the majority of their crew are coming from high risk countries yet they did nothing to keep them separate from the rest of the people onboard to ensure they weren't infected.

Edited by Captain_Morgan

4 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Is anyone remotely surprised to see this happening with a common denominator being a seemingly rushed return to service?  Add to the fact the perceived arrogance of perhaps believing because they're operating a smaller operation that somehow they're in a better position to avoid an outbreak because they've  not got thousands of people onboard?  

I saw a blip on the news the other day clearly stating both Indonesia and the Philippines are the top two infected countries in SE Asia respectively, and as in the case of the idiots in the Hurtigruten offices they admit that the majority of their crew are coming from high risk countries yet they did nothing to keep them separate from the rest of the people onboard to ensure they weren't infected.

It was reported, that ahead of resumption, the company had reassured guests in a blog post that it had strict regulations in place that go further then the international standards for the sector.

Obviously, did not work!

6 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

It was reported, that ahead of resumption, the company had reassured guests in a blog post that it had strict regulations in place that go further then the international standards for the sector.

Obviously, did not work!

Of course they're going to say whatever they think they need to in order to get people onboard....the fact their idea of crew being in quarantine meant they could work as normal and simply not go ashore just says it all as to their so-called strict regulations.

To me its akin to Viking Ocean getting rid of their Chief Security Officers in favor of an unqualified navigational officer because they didn't see the need of having someone in that role onboard as we found out during our last cruise with them prior to the world going crazy.  

19 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Of course they're going to say whatever they think they need to in order to get people onboard....the fact their idea of crew being in quarantine meant they could work as normal and simply not go ashore just says it all as to their so-called strict regulations.

To me its akin to Viking Ocean getting rid of their Chief Security Officers in favor of an unqualified navigational officer because they didn't see the need of having someone in that role onboard as we found out during our last cruise with them prior to the world going crazy.  

The report did not say that the crew were in quarantine in this instance, that was another sailing.

I saw that the first two of the three Aida trial cruises have been cancelled.

The  reason that has been given is that the ships are Italian flagged, and Italy has not given permission for the sailings to proceed. 

At this point, the 16th August sailing on Aida Blu is still proceeding 

Just on the BBC website now

"At least 40 passengers and crew on a cruise ship have tested positive for Covid-19.

Hundreds more passengers on the MS Roald Amundsen are in quarantine and awaiting test results, Norwegian firm Hurtigruten said.

The ship had been on a week-long voyage to Svalbard in the Arctic and was also reportedly scheduled to visit ports in England and Scotland in September.

Hurtigruten has now halted all leisure cruises because of the outbreak.

It comes as a crew member on a cruise ship in the Pacific tested positive for the virus on Sunday. The Paul Gaugin was forced to suspend its journey after the case was detected by the ship’s doctor."

I cannot understand any country allowing cruises at all at the moment.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just on the BBC website now

"At least 40 passengers and crew on a cruise ship have tested positive for Covid-19.

Hundreds more passengers on the MS Roald Amundsen are in quarantine and awaiting test results, Norwegian firm Hurtigruten said.

The ship had been on a week-long voyage to Svalbard in the Arctic and was also reportedly scheduled to visit ports in England and Scotland in September.

Hurtigruten has now halted all leisure cruises because of the outbreak.

It comes as a crew member on a cruise ship in the Pacific tested positive for the virus on Sunday. The Paul Gaugin was forced to suspend its journey after the case was detected by the ship’s doctor."

I cannot understand any country allowing cruises at all at the moment.

Businesses have to try and get back to some sort of operational status Jean, and the only way to establish a safe way is trial and error. If they sit back and do nothing their cash will run out and they will be bankrupt.

• Thanks 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Businesses have to try and get back to some sort of operational status Jean, and the only way to establish a safe way is trial and error. If they sit back and do nothing their cash will run out and they will be bankrupt.

Trial in there own back yard!

19 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Still think it was too early for any cruise line to try cruising.  As for P&O starting any time soon, I very much doubt we will see cruising until next year at the earliest.

If they dont keep trying then it will be too late, MSC  seem to be next to test the water, and although AIDA had problems I have not heard that TUIs Mein Schiff has experienced any problems.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If they dont keep trying then it will be too late, MSC  seem to be next to test the water, and although AIDA had problems I have not heard that TUIs Mein Schiff has experienced any problems.

Reportedly Mein Schiff 1's cruise did not proceed due to some crew testing positive for Covid 19.  

The cruise that did proceed on Mein Schiff 2, hasn't had any reported issues. Fingers crossed that it stays that way  

• Like 2