Famous cruise travellers

Triggertravel

Hi everybody just thought I’d post this as a bit of fun really, I was wondering to what famous people you have seen or met on your many cruises,as paying passengers only and not as acts to be honest the only famous people my wife and I have seen are Cheryl baker sat having a meal in Sindhu on the azura ( I was told that she s a regular cruiser and friends of p&o)and the other one was liz kershaw ex radio 1 do on board Oceana sat  in Tiffany’s 

36 minutes ago, Triggertravel said:

Hi everybody just thought I’d post this as a bit of fun really, I was wondering to what famous people you have seen or met on your many cruises,as paying passengers only and not as acts to be honest the only famous people my wife and I have seen are Cheryl baker sat having a meal in Sindhu on the azura ( I was told that she s a regular cruiser and friends of p&o)and the other one was liz kershaw ex radio 1 do on board Oceana sat  in Tiffany’s 

We have seen Cheryl Baker as an act in The Limelight Club on Britannia and Gareth Gates once sat next to me at breakfast in the buffet on Britannia, but he was an act in The Limelight Club as well

We were on Azura a few years ago and sitting very close to me was someone I recognised as a Quizzer from University Challenge, Mastermind, Only Connect etc.I started chatting and invited her and her husband to join us at The Synidacate Quiz, Needless to say we won quite a few bottles of wine on that cruise!!

• Like 1

We met Liz Dawn ( Vera Duckworth ) on Queen Mary 2.  Liz Dawn was a lovely person, she and her husband came and sat with us in a bar and chatted for quite a while.  We also saw Jonathon Wilkes being completely obnoxious to a waiter in the Azura glasshouse. On Azura Strictly Come Dancing cruise we met Craig Revel-Horwood and he was lovely.

• Like 1

We had Liz Dawn (aka Vera Duckworth) on board Oriana.  Sadly she appeared to be very frail, but enjoyed herself and was always about,  although wheelchair bound.

On another we had Kim Woodburn from How Clean is your House.  She was very pleasant although newspaper reports say she can be fiery but we saw no evidence of that at all.

• Like 2

Both of mine were  just passengers.. although they did persuade Kim Woodburn to speak to a few people in one of the smaller venues.  As she said, she wasn't actually there as a speaker so  it was just an informal chat.

Sadly, I don't think Liz Dawn would have been up to entertaining the masses when we saw her.

• Like 1

We also saw Liz Dawn on the Queen Mary 2, she was a regular cruise passenger, not onboard as a guest entertainer.

In the mid 1990's we saw another Corrie stalwart Brian Mosley, AKA Alf Roberts, again as a guest. We had several long conversations with him at cocktail parties and around the ship, a lovely man. He was, of course, a film actor as well as a Corrie regular and perhaps his most famous film part was when he was murdered by Michael Caine and thrown off the roof of a multi-story car park in Get Carter!

Brian's wife, Norma, sadly also now no longer with us, was also a pleasure to talk to.

Sheila Hancock was on Oceana last year as a guest. Also Marco Pierre White a couple of times when he was working on board. Bobby Davro, also working on board, very friendly chatting to everyone.

Bobby was on our first cruise a 2 nighter to Bruges in 2011.  I then thought all the entertainers would be someone I had at least heard of! How wrong was I!

Cathy

• Haha 1

Dame Darcey Bussell was on our flight to Barbados to join Azura one New Year. She was sat in the row in front, and was accompanied by her husband and two delightful daughters. We chatted whilst waiting for the toilets, particularly about her having a rest after 3 months of Strictly; she replied that she only worked on a Saturday, so it wasn't so bad. We saw her around the ship often and on island excursions (she had private tours, of course!), and she never made a fuss or drew attention to herself. Very discreet lady.

My son worked for Crystal and often had famous passengers - some lovely, some not so much. He used to have losts of stories to tell when he came home.................... 

• Like 1

We were on Artemis when Kenny Ball was on there for a jazz cruise.  We were chatting to him in a bar and talk got around to a very early gig he did in Liverpool (my home city).  He told us how they were driving through The Mersey Tunnel and the door fell off their van - a very funny tale.  He was a great guy to chat with, just seemed like an old friend.

Another time we were on Minerva II when Joan Bakewell was on board.  Spoke to her briefly on a couple of occasions, but she was very stuck up, even when I was sitting next to her on a motorised canoe, which TBH took me by surprise.  Felt a bit like she was the queen and I had no place to have attempted to speak to her at all.  Funny how people can seem a lot different when close up.

Edited by tring

Henry Winkler (aka the Fonz) on our Emerald Princess Med' cruise

Greg Wallace (aka the prat at the ship's Schooner Inn piano) on Independence of the Sea out of Southampton

Christopher Biggins ( aka a charming and engaging guy) on Island Princess for a partial transit of the Panama canal.

Then there were the various Strictly Come Dancing celeb's on our Britannia themed cruise who we got to meet regularly when we took part in the on board dance competition culminating with us dancing the slow Foxtrot to a full theatre.

I've been on a couple of cruises where Geoff Capes was also a passenger.

As for people working on the ships; quite a few from Strictly and their celebrity guests. Also Peter Howarth (The Hollies), Brian Conley, Roy Walker. There are others (form the Limelight Lounge etc.).

19 minutes ago, mike x ftc said:

I could well have been cruising with the entire cast of Hollyoaks, anyone who has been on Love Island, TOWIE, Geordie Shore or any other 'reality' show and wouldn't have had a clue!  

Neither would I. I didn't have a clue who Liz Dawn was until someone on board told me, but didn't wish to appear elitist by mentioning it😂

• Like 1

Did a T.A plus a two week Caribbean cruise when Wayne Sleep was on-board.  He did one Q&A with the C.D. with some film of his life and career which was really entertaining and interesting.  But apart from that session he spent the three weeks as a passenger  - didn't bail out at the first opportunity to fly home.  His partner was with him too.  Well what a character!  He engaged with everyone and was really sociable and quite a laugh.  He was on an excursion we were on to visit a private island and really enjoyed the rum cocktails in a coconut (or was it the ones in a pineapple🍍? ) well, we all enjoyed the cocktails to be honest. 🍹 😉    He was having a joke with everyone and came over as very affable.  

13 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just watching Line of Duty and remembered a down syndrome lad is in it who was on an Aurora cruise with us. 

You couldn't get him off the karaoke, he was having a whale of a time. 

Andy 

Worked on the old Mary in the Sixties as a first class waiter, have met many from the Ford family,to Audrey hepburn, Liz Tailor and many more,  every meal was a banquet and every waiter was a film star  (YUST SAYING)

• Like 3