Public Opinion On Cruising

ABoatNerd

Just now, Bo1953 said:

Actually, it references if one is pointing their index finger at someone else, then there are four (4) pointing back at them...

bon voyage

On my hands, it’s three pointing back at me.  My thumb is typically aligned with my index finger with that gesture.

• Thanks 1

Ahhh heck, go for it p name names! LOL

bon voyage

LOL- So, you want to see me banned for life by mentioning names ???
I never thought a Gentleman like you would try to trick me into mentioning names.
LOL- I figured it out. You’ve been around a long time, know who they are , and. are testing me .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pinboy said:

LOL- So, you want to see me banned for life by mentioning names ???
I never thought a Gentleman like you would try to trick me into mentioning names.
LOL- I figured it out. You’ve been around a long time, know who they are , and. are testing me .
Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where in the CC guidelines dose it say mentioning names (screen names) is a not allowed?  You can't mention TA names IAW the CC guidelines. Now if someone takes offense of you using their name inappropriately or falsely accusing them of something, that person can request (using the report post option) the CC mod remove your post.   

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

that person can request (using the report post option) the CC mod remove your post. 

I get it. So, it's up to the person referred to to report it, rather than the Moderator viewing it ,removing it , and banning the writer from CC. 

While I've seen a few " negative " comments directed at me , nothing bothered me enough to report it. 

8 hours ago, Pinboy said:

I get it. So, it's up to the person referred to to report it, rather than the Moderator viewing it ,removing it , and banning the writer from CC. 

While I've seen a few " negative " comments directed at me , nothing bothered me enough to report it. 

The CC mods also can remove any post that violates the CC guidelines. 

Our posts can be removed for hijacking the thread by posting off topic. 

Now back to the topic of this thread, IMO, cruising for 2020 is over and we are looking forward to our 2021 cruises. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 2:37 PM, markeb said:

I'm pretty sure they didn't mean anything either, and that's probably reflective of the demographic around here; we're not a crowd that would think twice about it or maybe even encounter it. And I don't know that I'd point it out, but yeah, it's a thing. Equivalent to using "dancer" for stripper, etc. Kind of unfortunate that things have reached that point, but they definitely have.

I learned a couple of new things tonight...

The first word in "quotes" has been discussed & then some...

I've lived in Chicago, Baltimore, DC, Shreveport, Orlando, Memphis & many other cities and had never heard of that connotation...

Always good to learn new things...

I don't generally place any special connotation on "words" in quotes...

Tonight I had to laugh at "dancer"...

I would never have thought stripper - if I'd seen "dancer"...

Have definitely heard strippers called dancers - but would not have associated the "dancer" specifically as that.

I will now be paying much greater attention to "words" in quotes & try to decipher the alternative definition 🙂 

Thanks & Have a GREAT Night!

Cheers  --  Von

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Von & John said:

I've lived in Chicago, Baltimore, DC, Shreveport, Orlando, Memphis & many other cities and had never heard of that connotation...

Have definitely heard strippers called dancers - but would not have associated the "dancer" specifically as that.

I will now be paying much greater attention to "words" in quotes & try to decipher the alternative definition 🙂 

Cheers  --  Von

LOL - yes, CC is a font of knowledge on many things beyond cruising!

😎

bon voyage

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

LOL - yes, CC is a font of knowledge on many things beyond cruising!

😎

bon voyage

Even if it's two more years before I get on a cruise ship, I'm looking forward to a good discussion of Speyside versus Islay versus Skye, and maybe New York, Colorado, and Kentucky bourbons...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Von & John said:

Cheers  --  Von

Thanks for posting this. I have lived in many places also, and never knew of a quotation taboo.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, davekathy said:

IMO, cruising for 2020 is over and we are looking forward to our 2021 cruises.

We are doing the same and maybe we'll meet someday ?

I really would like to meet contributors on CC and see if what I imagine them to be is what they are.

In the meantime we are waiting for FCC's --- no rush , just gotta be patient. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

We are doing the same and maybe we'll meet someday ?

I really would like to meet contributors on CC and see if what I imagine them to be is what they are.

In the meantime we are waiting for FCC's --- no rush , just gotta be patient. 

We took the cash refunds and have received them in full for our three 2020 Celebrity canceled cruises. Maybe 🤞 2021 but first for us we'll wait and see if or what restrictions are put in place for car services, airports, flights, pre and post cruise hotels, restaurants, embarkation center and finally on the ship. Oh yea, and the ports of call. Too many unknowns right now and I don't want to even speculate what the changes may end up being. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

Noilly Pratt and Boodles Gin, a dog named Boo and Rin Tin Tin.

Canadian borders and Florida shores, I’m hot your cold let’s have some s’mores.

“Urban” legend and “sub”urban sprawl, hard to understand it all.

I grew up here and you grew up there, I win you lose but is it fair.

Whether a stripper or a dancer be, either one is fine with me.

Beautiful women and pugnacious men, Noilly Pratt and Boodles Gin.

Now, in keeping with the topic at hand.  Public opinion on cruising says that good waffles enjoyed among “friends” on a boat, makes all things good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Now, in keeping with the topic at hand.  Public opinion on cruising says that good waffles enjoyed among “friends” on a boat, makes all things good.

What a spin on the 'topics' at hand... Mr. B...

Thank you and bon voyage

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

My, what a poet,

I did not know it!

Do your feet show it...

Are they Longfellows? 🌺🌼🌺

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, davekathy said:

Too many unknowns right now and I don't want to even speculate what the changes may end up being. 

Well said and exactly our thoughts. I hope our cruising days are not over and as I've said so many times (  LOL--you would remember ) , if it's not going to be fun , why spend all that money , especially with the exchange rate of the Canadian to American dollar. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Well said and exactly our thoughts. I hope our cruising days are not over and as I've said so many times (  LOL--you would remember ) , if it's not going to be fun , why spend all that money , especially with the exchange rate of the Canadian to American dollar. 

Pinboy, the exchange rate is a big factor for us in planning trips. We have curtailed most non Canadian travel in the past years because of it.

Your point is excellent, if the vacation experience is not stellar and provide a constant flow of super benefits, then there is no point in purchasing it, let alone pay 25-30% more for it than the likely person sitting next to you.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

25-30%

Recently , the bank quoted 38% to buy $US . It's unfortunate for Americans who like to visit Canada in the Summer and Fall and enjoy the exchange rate difference , but, the borders are closed. 

34 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Pinboy, the exchange rate is a big factor for us in planning trips. We have curtailed most non Canadian travel in the past years because of it.

Your point is excellent, if the vacation experience is not stellar and provide a constant flow of super benefits, then there is no point in purchasing it, let alone pay 25-30% more for it than the likely person sitting next to you.

You two crack me up.  Consistently changing the topic and then offering up an irrelevant comparison of value when using different currencies that just happen to share the common name of dollar.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You two crack me up.  Consistently changing the topic and then offering up an irrelevant comparison of value when using different currencies that just happen to share the common name of dollar.

The topic is " Public OPINION on Cruising "-- The cost of a cruise is relevant to the topic.

" offering up an irrelevant comparison of value when using different currencies that just happen to share the common name of dollar ".  What does that mean ??? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pinboy said:

What's so funny -- explain , don't just post that " laughing smirk " .

" offering up an irrelevant , blah, blah, blah, "-- 

LOL----- Again the " laughing smirk " .

Ok, You got me . --- LOL

14 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I really don't care what "public opinion" is about cruising.  I happen to love cruising and will be back on board as soon as it resumes.

Agree. It's all about our personal decisions on what we do or not do and not based on the popular/public opinion. We don't book or not book a cruise or ship based on someones opinions or experiences positive or negative. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I really don't care what "public opinion" is about cruising.  I happen to love cruising and will be back on board as soon as it resumes.

21 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. It's all about our personal decisions on what we do or not do and not based on the popular/public opinion. We don't book or not book a cruise or ship based on someones opinions or experiences positive or negative. 

Agree on both accounts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1