Inspiration beaching

jimbo5544

Obviously the Inspiration scraped against the Fantasy, but it doesn't seem like it was going nearly as fast as the Fantasy was when she was beached. That's probably more the reason for Inspiration being so far back compared to the others as much as the collision was.

First Carnival cruise was on the Fantasy.  I had hoped to take a b2b on the Inspiration and the Imagination one day.  Now that won't be happening 😢.   I think the smaller ships have their place, but it seems the are not viable for the companies.  It's a shame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Travelnplane said:

One more Video

How on earth did he fit in there? The question is, how are those two other ships are going to leave the place? I mean I know nothing about the technical side, but to me FIRST it looks really bad, cause in case of some sea disturbances, these ships will definitely hit each other. SECOND, not all captains and crews are as professional.. so there might be an accident lol 

10 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

How on earth did he fit in there? The question is, how are those two other ships are going to leave the place? I mean I know nothing about the technical side, but to me FIRST it looks really bad, cause in case of some sea disturbances, these ships will definitely hit each other. SECOND, not all captains and crews are as professional.. so there might be an accident lol 

.... they're getting scrapped.  They are leaving in dump trucks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

So you mean to say that these ships will be eventually destroyed and it doesnt really matter  what happens during parking? Ohh now I see it. But still its kinda sad to see these magnificent ships being destroyed.. I wonder where humanity could really use them

49 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The question is, how are those two other ships are going to leave the place?

39 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

7 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

So you mean to say that these ships will be eventually destroyed and it doesnt really matter  what happens during parking? Ohh now I see it

image.jpeg.9f303d6afb1fe192f2f9e733913c04fb.jpeg

They are crowded together like that because there are multiple scrappers on that beach, and each one only gets so much beach frontage to park ship in.  And, it makes it easier for workmen to move from one ship to the next, as they dismantle them down to the keel.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

So you mean to say that these ships will be eventually destroyed and it doesnt really matter  what happens during parking? Ohh now I see it. But still its kinda sad to see these magnificent ships being destroyed.. I wonder where humanity could really use them

Humanity needs more than old cruise ships right now. 
I am sure for a good price they could have been bought - in fact there are two more like this rusting away in Europe! 

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

image.jpeg.9f303d6afb1fe192f2f9e733913c04fb.jpeg

They are crowded together like that because there are multiple scrappers on that beach, and each one only gets so much beach frontage to park ship in.  And, it makes it easier for workmen to move from one ship to the next, as they dismantle them down to the keel.

This emoji says everything! 

1 hour ago, simplelife said:

Hopefully, much of the material can be recycled.

Thousands of tons of steel will be recycled, as it takes only about 25% of the energy to melt down steel for reuse, vs smelting from iron ore.  This and copper is what ship breakers are after, and what they pay for.  Aluminum can save 94% of energy if recycled.  Electronics are costly, however, to recycle, as they need to be hand dismantled into components.  Turkey is currently paying about $200 per LDT (light displacement ton, which is the actual weight of the ship, not the Gross Tonnage).  The Carnival ships are likely about 30-35,000 LDT, and the RCI ships around 28-32,000.  So, Carnival was paid around $14 million for the two ships.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 5

I thought this video was very interesting.  Amazing to me how clean the machinery spaces are given the age and disposition (about to be scrapped) of the ship.  Of course, I have NO idea of what I'm looking at, but it's interesting nonetheless!

Garnett

35 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

I wonder if the scrappers keep a ship engine and generator running for lighting and tool use during scrapping ?

Since there is not sufficient water around the ship to provide cooling, they couldn't, even if they wanted to.  While I understand that Turkey is trying to meet the EU standards of work safety, ship breaking is one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet.  Cutting is done by workers not wearing proper PPE (goggles, leather gloves and aprons, steel toe shoes, long pants and long sleeves), without proper ventilation or atmospheric testing to ensure a non-hazardous atmosphere, without proper lighting, and without proper fire watch, looking for potential combustion from flying sparks.  They take the ship down from the top down, so each work area is exposed when the previous level is removed.  Very large chunks are frequently dragged by hand to the edge of the ship, pushed over, and allowed to drop to the beach, without any coordination with workers possibly working on that beach.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Since there is not sufficient water around the ship to provide cooling, they couldn't, even if they wanted to.  While I understand that Turkey is trying to meet the EU standards of work safety, ship breaking is one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet.  Cutting is done by workers not wearing proper PPE (goggles, leather gloves and aprons, steel toe shoes, long pants and long sleeves), without proper ventilation or atmospheric testing to ensure a non-hazardous atmosphere, without proper lighting, and without proper fire watch, looking for potential combustion from flying sparks.  They take the ship down from the top down, so each work area is exposed when the previous level is removed.  Very large chunks are frequently dragged by hand to the edge of the ship, pushed over, and allowed to drop to the beach, without any coordination with workers possibly working on that beach.

Good post

• Like 2

What I was really curious about is when do they deal with all the furniture and tech that is still on there? It does not look like they remove it all up front. So do they just remove it as they get to the deck it is on when they take it apart?