Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dave0311 said:

Those photos are so surreal. I know the ship is being scrapped; it's just crazy to see them banged together like that. What a sad ending for those ships.

i wonder what the bottom of the hull looks like when it is being scraped against the ground during the beaching process. that might be worse then the ships colliding with each other

Edited by shof515
Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously the Inspiration scraped against the Fantasy, but it doesn't seem like it was going nearly as fast as the Fantasy was when she was beached. That's probably more the reason for Inspiration being so far back compared to the others as much as the collision was.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First Carnival cruise was on the Fantasy.  I had hoped to take a b2b on the Inspiration and the Imagination one day.  Now that won't be happening 😢.   I think the smaller ships have their place, but it seems the are not viable for the companies.  It's a shame.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Travelnplane said:

One more Video

 

 

 

How on earth did he fit in there? The question is, how are those two other ships are going to leave the place? I mean I know nothing about the technical side, but to me FIRST it looks really bad, cause in case of some sea disturbances, these ships will definitely hit each other. SECOND, not all captains and crews are as professional.. so there might be an accident lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

How on earth did he fit in there? The question is, how are those two other ships are going to leave the place? I mean I know nothing about the technical side, but to me FIRST it looks really bad, cause in case of some sea disturbances, these ships will definitely hit each other. SECOND, not all captains and crews are as professional.. so there might be an accident lol 

 

.... they're getting scrapped.  They are leaving in dump trucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

 

.... they're getting scrapped.  They are leaving in dump trucks.

So you mean to say that these ships will be eventually destroyed and it doesnt really matter  what happens during parking? Ohh now I see it. But still its kinda sad to see these magnificent ships being destroyed.. I wonder where humanity could really use them

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The question is, how are those two other ships are going to leave the place?

 

39 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

 

.... they're getting scrapped.  They are leaving in dump trucks.

 

7 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

So you mean to say that these ships will be eventually destroyed and it doesnt really matter  what happens during parking? Ohh now I see it

image.jpeg.9f303d6afb1fe192f2f9e733913c04fb.jpeg

They are crowded together like that because there are multiple scrappers on that beach, and each one only gets so much beach frontage to park ship in.  And, it makes it easier for workmen to move from one ship to the next, as they dismantle them down to the keel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

So you mean to say that these ships will be eventually destroyed and it doesnt really matter  what happens during parking? Ohh now I see it. But still its kinda sad to see these magnificent ships being destroyed.. I wonder where humanity could really use them

Humanity needs more than old cruise ships right now. 
I am sure for a good price they could have been bought - in fact there are two more like this rusting away in Europe! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

 

 

image.jpeg.9f303d6afb1fe192f2f9e733913c04fb.jpeg

They are crowded together like that because there are multiple scrappers on that beach, and each one only gets so much beach frontage to park ship in.  And, it makes it easier for workmen to move from one ship to the next, as they dismantle them down to the keel.

This emoji says everything! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simplelife said:

Hopefully, much of the material can be recycled.

 

Thousands of tons of steel will be recycled, as it takes only about 25% of the energy to melt down steel for reuse, vs smelting from iron ore.  This and copper is what ship breakers are after, and what they pay for.  Aluminum can save 94% of energy if recycled.  Electronics are costly, however, to recycle, as they need to be hand dismantled into components.  Turkey is currently paying about $200 per LDT (light displacement ton, which is the actual weight of the ship, not the Gross Tonnage).  The Carnival ships are likely about 30-35,000 LDT, and the RCI ships around 28-32,000.  So, Carnival was paid around $14 million for the two ships.

Edited by chengkp75
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this video was very interesting.  Amazing to me how clean the machinery spaces are given the age and disposition (about to be scrapped) of the ship.  Of course, I have NO idea of what I'm looking at, but it's interesting nonetheless!

 

 

Garnett

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, quattrohead said:

I wonder if the scrappers keep a ship engine and generator running for lighting and tool use during scrapping ?

Since there is not sufficient water around the ship to provide cooling, they couldn't, even if they wanted to.  While I understand that Turkey is trying to meet the EU standards of work safety, ship breaking is one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet.  Cutting is done by workers not wearing proper PPE (goggles, leather gloves and aprons, steel toe shoes, long pants and long sleeves), without proper ventilation or atmospheric testing to ensure a non-hazardous atmosphere, without proper lighting, and without proper fire watch, looking for potential combustion from flying sparks.  They take the ship down from the top down, so each work area is exposed when the previous level is removed.  Very large chunks are frequently dragged by hand to the edge of the ship, pushed over, and allowed to drop to the beach, without any coordination with workers possibly working on that beach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Since there is not sufficient water around the ship to provide cooling, they couldn't, even if they wanted to.  While I understand that Turkey is trying to meet the EU standards of work safety, ship breaking is one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet.  Cutting is done by workers not wearing proper PPE (goggles, leather gloves and aprons, steel toe shoes, long pants and long sleeves), without proper ventilation or atmospheric testing to ensure a non-hazardous atmosphere, without proper lighting, and without proper fire watch, looking for potential combustion from flying sparks.  They take the ship down from the top down, so each work area is exposed when the previous level is removed.  Very large chunks are frequently dragged by hand to the edge of the ship, pushed over, and allowed to drop to the beach, without any coordination with workers possibly working on that beach.

Good post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I was really curious about is when do they deal with all the furniture and tech that is still on there? It does not look like they remove it all up front. So do they just remove it as they get to the deck it is on when they take it apart?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...