Riviera and Sirena to Gibraltar

mrlevin

55 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Anyone know why Riviera and Sirena (along with Regent Explorer and multiple NCL ships) are heading to Gibraltar?

thanks,

Marc

Except for Regatta, whose usual autumn/winter itineraries are Pacific Rim (starting with Alaska) and who recently headed down to is SoCal from SFO/OAK, all other Oceania ships are "getting out of Dodge" thanks in part to the ever-increasing lack of a serious/unified national US plan to deal with Covid-19 (made even worse by the misguided folks who think not wearing a mask is a political statement).

Even Riviera (heading to Gibraltar), who would normally do Miami runs late in the year apparently needs to escape the Covid lunacy there.

I'll spare the finger-pointing since we don't need/want a discussion of politicians.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Except for Regatta, whose usual autumn/winter itineraries are Pacific Rim (starting with Alaska) and who recently headed down to is SoCal from SFO/OAK, all other Oceania ships are "getting out of Dodge" thanks in part to the ever-increasing lack of a serious/unified national US plan to deal with Covid-19 (made even worse by the misguided folks who think not wearing a mask is a political statement).

Even Riviera (heading to Gibraltar), who would normally do Miami runs late in the year apparently needs to escape the Covid lunacy there.

I'll spare the finger-pointing since we don't need/want a discussion of politicians.

Oops, too late.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not really. Just pointing out data driven facts without placing blame on any particular political figure(s).

Really, "Lack of serious/unified", "misguided" and "lunacy". Hate to see what placing blame would be.  I guess sticking to cruising subjects is too difficult.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wrl001 said:

Really, "Lack of serious/unified", "misguided" and "lunacy". Hate to see what placing blame would be.  I guess sticking to cruising subjects is too difficult.

Are you suggesting that those observations are not correct?

1) Science/data is not driving Covid-19 policies in any unified way.

2) Self-serving denial is rampant.

3) Not following the proven practices has no legitimate purpose.

This has nothing to do with any particular political ideology. Rather, it's common sense (supported by science/data) that is being ignored and, thus, killing people unnecessarily. Any reasonable person would agree such behavior is misguided and lunatic.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wrl001 said:

I give. You win. It’s just to difficult for people to stay on cruise subjects. 

I could care less who "wins" other than whoever helps the virus numbers decrease sufficiently so that (per the original point of this thread) cruise ships would be able to demonstrate satisfying CDC requirements for ships based in and/or visiting US ports.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wrl001 said:

Please reread the subject of this string. You don’t know why the ships are relocating. Do a simple “I don’t know “ would have been fine not a sermon on COVID.

I told you one of the reasons (of which there are several). If the foreign flagged ships relocate outside of the US and do not call on American ports (which would include places like Puerto Rico and American Samoa), they could avoid CDC requirements. Of course, as long as airlines can't deliver Americans to certain cities (e.g., EU), a major stumbling block to a reasonable restart would still exist.

And it would also be industrial suicide in the long run - thumbing one's nose to US authorities? Not the smartest idea.

Bottom line still remains that the industry needs for America's Covid-19 response to get its act together. And checking today's "numbers" remains very discouraging.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

With all due respect, it has to do with getting the ships out of the way of potential Atlantic storm events. Not COVID as they have already been ported in effected areas. How can you complain about coordinating efforts when protests are allowed but not worship services. It’s best to clean one’s house first before worrying about you neighbor. 

2 hours ago, wrl001 said:

Nobody likes the truth unless it fits their definition of it.

Discussion of COVID and how it is handled is central to these boards - if COVID had been handled properly we might be actually cruising, if not now then in the near future.

In reality that is not the case and it is almost pointless discussing cruising at this point. What is there to say about it that is actually meaningful? We are all just guessing.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

Maybe it is just cheaper for them to berth there, and the company believe they are best off laying up there til they restart in April - which would be when both those ships are due in Europe. 

21 minutes ago, wrl001 said:

With all due respect, it has to do with getting the ships out of the way of potential Atlantic storm events. Not COVID as they have already been ported in effected areas. How can you complain about coordinating efforts when protests are allowed but not worship services. It’s best to clean one’s house first before worrying about you neighbor. 

You're jumping to conclusions while making my point.

Whether it's political rallies or protests or televangelists is irrelevant when it comes to addressing Covid-19. The US needs to shut down all but essential services for at least 3 months. And that includes any and all gatherings of more than a very few people from same households. The disjointed/piecemeal open-close-open-close-open-close only serves to drag out the road to economic recovery (which is being paved with dead bodies. (I'm reminded of someone trying to cut a lawn with a scissors.) 

And, while weather avoidance is in the current ship move mix, adding the logistical flexibility of using centralized non-US port locations (e.g., Dubai, Piraeus et al.) makes for the easiest regional itinerary changes. And then there are other factors. For example, why did O recently move Regatta from Oakland to L.A.? Could it be because Alaska 2020 is now history and the port of Long Beach is more efficacious for layup and 2021 plans?

31 minutes ago, wrl001 said:

With all due respect, it has to do with getting the ships out of the way of potential Atlantic storm events.

Did they need to sail to Europe to avoid the storms?

They have done the east coast cruise in the fall  & still avoided the storms without going to Europe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wrl001 said:

Back when I practiced law, whenever anyone started addressing me with the words “with all due respect” I knew to expect just the opposite. Thanks for living up to my expectations.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, wrl001 said:

Worship services are allowed; mine, like many, have all been on-line. Crowds without masks or social distancing are "outlawed" for good reason, yet there have been many worship services, just like the protests, flaunting that recommendation. Whatever happened to love thy neighbor?

Edited by Vertygo
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 3:40 PM, Paulchili said:

Nobody likes the truth unless it fits their definition of it.

Discussion of COVID and how it is handled is central to these boards - if COVID had been handled properly we might be actually cruising, if not now then in the near future.

In reality that is not the case and it is almost pointless discussing cruising at this point. What is there to say about it that is actually meaningful? We are all just guessing.

And "If Its' and Butts were candy and Nuts we would have a better Christmas