Volendam in Transit to Durban

What was that?

According to today's "Daily" (thanks Rich), Volendam is headed over 5,000 miles to Durban, South Africa, to arrive 15 August. Her next scheduled cruise is 17 October - just over two months from today - out of San Diego, so I am wondering the purpose of this voyage. Any idea if it is headed to Durban for maintenance or drydock? Due to the distance and arrival date, it appears Volendam will not be traveling at a much reduced speed as one would expect in these non-cruising times - she would have to average over 13 knots for the trip.

Full disclosure: We are booked on the 17 October sailing so naturally we are interested in this ship's movements...

Definitely going the rong way! I was holding out hope for October - because she was still in the Pacific and her 31 October San Diego departure was a Panama Canal transit - but her heading west would allow her to get to the Atlantic without the PC toll fees.

7 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Definitely going the rong way! I was holding out hope for October - because she was still in the Pacific and her 31 October San Diego departure was a Panama Canal transit - but her heading west would allow her to get to the Atlantic without the PC toll fees.

A bit optimistic, perhaps?

3 minutes ago, cricketcj1 said:

I hope shes headed for Florida.32 nt. Amazon 1 Nov.19-Dec.21.Can! wait.

At least she is moving closer to the right ocean for you.

That looks like an interesting itinerary! I'll have to look at that for the future.

1 minute ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We are booked as well October 17, through to November 19, 

But we are not packing yet.

Princess cancelled their cruises so I would guess Holland will do the same.

Marty I am afraid you are right.  The few cruises that have started up, four that I am aware of, three have had virus flare ups.

2 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We are booked as well October 17, through to November 19, 

But we are not packing yet.

Princess cancelled their cruises so I would guess Holland will do the same.

Probably (Princess is managed by Holland). The bright side is we may get a bonus if'when they cancel.

5 hours ago, What was that? said:

According to today's "Daily" (thanks Rich), Volendam is headed over 5,000 miles to Durban, South Africa, to arrive 15 August. Her next scheduled cruise is 17 October - just over two months from today - out of San Diego, so I am wondering the purpose of this voyage. Any idea if it is headed to Durban for maintenance or drydock? Due to the distance and arrival date, it appears Volendam will not be traveling at a much reduced speed as one would expect in these non-cruising times - she would have to average over 13 knots for the trip.

Full disclosure: We are booked on the 17 October sailing so naturally we are interested in this ship's movements...

Do not get your hopes up too high.  I believe that all is shut down through Novemer 30th.

12 minutes ago, Himself said:

Things are announced gradually.  I hope yours is a go but I kind of doubt it.

I am sure you are right. I think this Volendam movement is the first undeniable evidence that the remainder of October cruises of this ship are a no-go (we called the Operational Intelligence back when I was working).

We are not packing our bags yet - and I have already booked an Alaska cruise for next August (to replace the one for August 2020 that was canceled), betting on the 125% future cruise credit. I figure it is a win either way.

I have a 7 day on hold sailing(hopefully) October 24. If I pay it will be with gift cards so I figure it's no loss since the money is just sitting in my drawer & I may get goodies for the cancellation. I haven't paid yet because my husband is afraid they WON'T cancel (& I'm the opposite)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bcummin said:

Since ms Amsterdam recently returned South Africans to their home country on their way to Jakarta and Manila, I would wonder if ms Volendam might be doing the same thing?

Barbara

That's a good point, Barbara. It makes sense, and the transit time would provide a "quarantine" period, if there are no cases of Covid-19 aboard during the journey.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bcummin said:

Since ms Amsterdam recently returned South Africans to their home country on their way to Jakarta and Manila, I would wonder if ms Volendam might be doing the same thing?

Barbara

Maybe, the hotel director and his wife live in Spain..

• Like 1