So what do folks really wear to dinner in the dining rooms?

njpln

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

Seigo ties, nice!  

Does “yacht club casual” mean you captain a boat?  I am the experienced (and only) crew on a catamaran which spouse legaleaglegreen captains when we vacation at Caribbean resorts.

We had a 30' Hunter Sloop at the Richmond Yacht Club for 20 years (across the street from home in Brickyard Cove). And we too have done the BVI charter thing (60' Cat). 

But as close as we get to "yachting" now is pretty much Oceania cruises.

IMG_2432.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clo said:

We've only cruised on O once and didn't find that the case AT ALL. And after a couple of kerfufles in the GDR we ate three meals a day, except for the specialties, in the Terrace Cafe and liked/loved everything we had.

IMG_7074 - Edited (1).jpg

Based on your photo it looks like you are eating food that was prepared to your order at the grill, which is what we did also. I agree that was good...and we also rarely ate in the dining room. My comment was about the other hot food in the Terrace Cafe, which we found frequently suffered from the same problems that plague the food sitting out at any buffet, often not hot enough and sometimes dried out.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We had a 30' Hunter Sloop at the Richmond Yacht Club for 20 years (across the street from home in Brickyard Cove). And we too have done the BVI charter thing (60' Cat). 

But as close as we get to "yachting" now is pretty much Oceania cruises.

IMG_2432.JPG

Nice!  Although I grew up on the Jersey Shore, the closest I came to yachting was being in the same high school class as Gary Jobson (and invitations to motor out on my rich uncle’s 42-foot cabin cruiser, which does not count IMO.)

Thank you all for your replies… DH has a closet full of Tori Richards shirts from all our trips to Hawaii…And he’s also OK with wearing a brooks brothers button down shirt and trousers… And I never have a problem dressing nicely.  So....

I think we’re going to be fine… Now let’s see if the November cruise actually sails...

😷
Norma 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Nice!  Although I grew up on the Jersey Shore, the closest I came to yachting was being in the same high school class as Gary Jobson (and invitations to motor out on my rich uncle’s 42-foot cabin cruiser, which does not count IMO.)

Jobson - a major influencer in the sailing world.

My introduction to boating was thanks(?) to my dad who would take me out fishing on a "party boat" from Sheepshead Bay. Vivid memory of bobbing in the ocean while he and twenty other guys smoked cigars. As I turned green, he would say "eat something" and hand me a tuna fish sandwich. You can guess the rest...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Jobson - a major influencer in the sailing world.

As I turned green, he would say "eat something" and hand me a tuna fish sandwich. You can guess the rest...

You demanded to go to Lundy's for fresh fish.

I mean I know a lot of people who dress up for dinner wearing their best dresses and costumes. Well, to me it sounds a bit too much. You are on vacation and should feel comfortable wearing whatever you like because you shouldn't depend on someone else's opinion. Its your time spending and how you spend it is all on you. So I usually wear a pair of short and a T-shirt.. as long as its clean and smells well 

Cruising with Oceania with a published dress code is on average 60-40% followed which is annoying. We enjoy dining in the Grand Dining Room and the Speciality restaurants which are all very elegant with great cuisine yet, you still see people walking in wearing t-shirts, ball caps etc. Many of the Maitre d's politely advise them but, not all enforce it. Jeans, shorts and t-shirts are appropriate for the Terrace and Waves restaurants. 

• Like 1

My experience with Oceania over the past 10 years is that a polo or dress shirt with a pair of slacks will grant you entrance to any venue - except, perhaps, to the actual pool and sauna.  Footwear seems to be hit-or-miss but the general consensus seems to be "closed toe" for men. 

Personally, I tend to wear a sport coat at dinner so that it's less obvious how great the distance is between the front of my slacks and the back of my slacks.  This distance normally increases during the cruise.  The only solution is a navy or black jacket and never allowing others to look at you from the side.

Oceania's dress code allows for "dressy jeans" so, on occasion, I've worn them in the evening.  Practically everyone is oblivious to it (or just doesn't care) but it's not unusual to have one, older passenger go bug-eyed.  Sometimes, that's half the fun of wearing them.  I actually had someone tell me at the pool bar that they didn't care if Oceania's policy allowed for some jeans; it just shouldn't be done.

It's also been my experience that, if a guest shows up in something that is clearly inappropriate, the maître d' will discreetly say something and seat them immediately when they've returned.

On a parting note, my final piece of advice would be to not wear the same thing you wore on the dairy-farm/cheese-manufactory tour that day.  Hope you enjoy your cruise, as Oceania is one of the best you'll find! 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Let me preface my reply by saying that I do not go to restaurants which require men to wear jackets. Fortunately, there are now very few of them so it is not a issue to avoid them. I have the same attitude towards cruise lines. Jacket required - no booking from us. I find it an archaic constraint.

So, we picked an Oceania cruise because of its modern day dress code which I generally, and correctly. interpreted as being "smart casual". My recollection is the the actual wording was "country club casual" - a meaningless phrase if you are from a country which doesnt have American style country clubs (whatever that might be). So, I asked on a foody forum I use, which also have many American contributors, and got several interpretations. In the end, I decided that I would simply work on the basis of my normal dress code for a reasonably upscale restaurant here. That was chinos, some nights with a polo shirt, others with a more formal short-sleeved collared shirt. It's the sort of clothing I would wear to a smart bistro or, with the more formal shirt, to a Michelin starred restaurant. I found most diners were dressed similarly, although I noted a few wearing jackets (but they were definitely the minority). Found the main dining room to be a very relaxed and enjoyable experience.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:11 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Whatever is the case, my folks had the same concern about the prices.

Speaking of luxury Dept. store prices, Maggie Smith tells a wonderful anecdote about being so shocked by the completely outrageous prices of foundation garments at Harvey Nichols (this would have been in the 1960's) that she might have preferred going the mastectomy route............Maggie said it, not ME!

No jackets or ties for the guys unless they want to wear them. A polo shirt or a Shortsleeved shirt and dress trousers will be fine. 

trousers and nice top or dress will be fine for the ladies.

Oceania’s dress code is smart casual but if you want to dress up then you can. I wear what I’d wear on a night out at a nice restaurant on land. As long as you feel good and comfortable you will look fabulous.

Edited by Issyalex
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 1:18 PM, Roger88 said:

I mean I know a lot of people who dress up for dinner wearing their best dresses and costumes. Well, to me it sounds a bit too much. You are on vacation and should feel comfortable wearing whatever you like because you shouldn't depend on someone else's opinion. Its your time spending and how you spend it is all on you. So I usually wear a pair of short and a T-shirt.. as long as its clean and smells well 

And pray tell...... which bridge do you work under?

Well this has been interesting. As the OP here I was just looking for what’s “real” on Oceania… I certainly am not critical of people who overdress or underdress. We’ve done enough cruises to know that people do whatever they do, and cruise lines enforce whatever the individual maître d’ chooses to enforce.

But to those of you who feel like dressing up on vacation is too much work, that’s OK for you.   But you need to know that for some of us, since we are retired for several years, we actually enjoy dressing up when we have all the time in the world to do so! Seriously, DH enjoys it!  That being said, we don’t want to be the only ones who dress up… We’d rather bring our “country club” clothes.…It’s not a matter of who’s right or wrong, it’s just a difference of opinion.

Vive la difference in clothing choices.....

1 hour ago, njpln said:

But to those of you who feel like dressing up on vacation is too much work, that’s OK for you.   But you need to know that for some of us, since we are retired for several years, we actually enjoy dressing up when we have all the time in the world to do so! Seriously, DH enjoys it!  That being said, we don’t want to be the only ones who dress up… We’d rather bring our “country club” clothes.…It’s not a matter of who’s right or wrong, it’s just a difference of opinion.

Vive la difference in clothing choices.....

If you like to dress up then  just do it

If there is  an issue the Maitre'd  may  send you to change 

I have seen people in ball gowns & Tuxes on Oceania  (not often)

Men in suits with ties  & without ties

men in jackets men with a nice shirt for dinner

Ladies in long dress/capris/ dress slacks  sparkle tops & just plain tops

The main thing is to enjoy  but do not complain because others do not meet your standards

JMO

• Like 1

Just wanted to say "thank you" to the original poster for asking the question.   I know we can watch the videos put out by the cruise lines, and read the published dress codes, but it is helpful to know what people are really doing on board.   

For me, it sounds like Oceania has found the comfortable place of not having formal outfits but still maintaining a look of casual elegance.   

21 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Just wanted to say "thank you" to the original poster for asking the question.   I know we can watch the videos put out by the cruise lines, and read the published dress codes, but it is helpful to know what people are really doing on board.   

For me, it sounds like Oceania has found the comfortable place of not having formal outfits but still maintaining a look of casual elegance.   

You are welcome!!!  It’s been helpful to me for sure. 

Norma

On 8/19/2020 at 3:56 PM, njpln said:

If you want to dress up, you should do so.  When we go into dinner in a restaurant on the ship I tend to dress up a bit more than others.  No formal gowns, though.  (Actually, on our first Renaissance cruise we saw a group of 8 who were dressed to the nines, the women in formal gowns.  We enjoyed looking at them and they were having a great time.)

When I say "dress up" I tend to go to a long casual cocktail outfit kind of thing ... unfortunately I wore out my favorite outfit some years ago ...But you should NOT feel awkward about dressing up more than others may.  Do what makes you happy! I don't think you will be alone.

Mura

11 hours ago, Mura said:

If you want to dress up, you should do so.  When we go into dinner in a restaurant on the ship I tend to dress up a bit more than others.  No formal gowns, though.  (Actually, on our first Renaissance cruise we saw a group of 8 who were dressed to the nines, the women in formal gowns.  We enjoyed looking at them and they were having a great time.)

When I say "dress up" I tend to go to a long casual cocktail outfit kind of thing ... unfortunately I wore out my favorite outfit some years ago ...But you should NOT feel awkward about dressing up more than others may.  Do what makes you happy! I don't think you will be alone.

Mura

Thanks Mura.  We will definitely be dressing within our comfort range. 😊  (Which falls in the range of what’s been described here).....LOL.

Norma

Edited by njpln