So what do folks really wear to dinner in the dining rooms?

njpln

27 minutes ago, clo said:

Huh? Are you kidding me???????? Here's just one little list. I think there's one in Carmel and TFL. 

https://www.justluxe.com/travel/64__san-francisco/115__dining.php#

It’s a toss-up:

https://www.winespectator.com/articles/13-world-class-restaurants-napa-sonoma-wine-country

Lucky to have tried 80% of them from both lists  🙂

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Most definitely yes (in the summer). Maybe not to the French Laundry but then even Jacques isn't French Laundry.

Also depends on the style - they are not all the same but most are very nice and elegant.

PS On second thought, I don't see why one couldn't wear one even to the French Laundry in the summer.

I've eaten at the FL twice and I don't believe I had a jacket or suit either time. The only place in SF that required jackets for dinner was Tommy Toy's AFAIK (and I gladly obliged as it was one of my favorites).

1956-MJ11-001-detail.jpg

1956-6383OBL-detail.jpg

Marquises_Blue_lfstyl__11563.1579119645.jpg?c=2

On further reflection, perhaps my perception of the appropriateness of wearing shirts such as these is based more on the shape of the body that chooses to wear it to dinner rather than the shirt itself! 😉

Edited by CintiPam
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, clo said:

Good points. I picked SF because we lived there a long time and return to visit. But also because I thought it was a good compromise between Manhattan and LA'ish. As far as Oceania Bob maybe once wore a 'nice' untucked shirt (not Hawaiian) with Docker-style pants to the Terrace. Otherwise he wore 'nice' golf shirts tucked in. We didn't eat at the GDR (a couple of hiccups). At the specialties he wore, again, Dockers and dress shirts (with subtle checks or stripes).

Most of those shirts pictured are a bit wilder than my Tommy Bahama shirts. Mine are mostly solid with embroidery on the back or pocket. I also like Nat Nast shirts, very well made.  But, for the daytime I'm a big fan of Kahala shirts that have the traditional patterns and are a bit bold. They are well made and made in HI, but I wouldn't wear any of them to dinner on Oceania. 

Getting to the reason I quoted you is that I would rather see a well designed, with nice pattern, Camp shirt(untucked), than a polo type Golf shirt. Golf shirts seem way too casual for a specialty on Oceania. Of course in the Terrace people are pretty much free to wear almost anything. Rules and judgments are only in the minds of others. I prefer to not see caps, but that's only my opinion, not a rule.

On 8/25/2020 at 12:39 PM, CptBoatface said:

We were 1st timers on a Miami rt, but we followed guidelines. Still can't get my wife to let me leave the tie at home

Hey...consider that she likes how you look with a tie..... and likes to be seen with you looking in a way that makes her proud of you...... She is showing you off .   Respect that...she cares about  you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ORV said:

Most of those shirts pictured are a bit wilder than my Tommy Bahama shirts. Mine are mostly solid with embroidery on the back or pocket. I also like Nat Nast shirts, very well made.  But, for the daytime I'm a big fan of Kahala shirts that have the traditional patterns and are a bit bold. They are well made and made in HI, but I wouldn't wear any of them to dinner on Oceania. 

Getting to the reason I quoted you is that I would rather see a well designed, with nice pattern, Camp shirt(untucked), than a polo type Golf shirt. Golf shirts seem way too casual for a specialty on Oceania. Of course in the Terrace people are pretty much free to wear almost anything. Rules and judgments are only in the minds of others. I prefer to not see caps, but that's only my opinion, not a rule.

Totally agree with you. WOW! 🙂 

1 hour ago, CptBoatface said:

Truth, she did like the dress blues.  

Go all the way  with dress white's.... don't forget the sword too...  dont forget the chicken-guts also !!!  Dress like the CNO

Edited by Hawaiidan

22 hours ago, ORV said:

Rules and judgments are only in the minds of others. I prefer to not see caps, but that's only my opinion, not a rule.

I have no idea where my (basically un-reasoned) antipathy towards ball caps/hats on men in the MDR comes from.  I have arguments with myself all the time on board ships.  I'll see a man with a hat in the MDR, and get ticked.  Then my frontal lobes kick in, telling myself to get a grip - in the grand scheme of things this is nothing - and let it go.  Then some other part of my brain starts yelling... "Who raised you that you think it's okay to wear a hat in the dining room???!!!"  It makes for interesting interior dialog.

I just think it's odd that so much rolls off me.... but this one thing sticks in my craw.  I definitely consider it my problem, and not the person wearing the hat.

Edited by Kate-AHF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

Then some other part of my brain starts yelling... "Who raised you that you think it's okay to wear a hat in the dining room???!!!"  

I was raised in an era where manners and decor mattered.  So, even in a McDonalds, I remove my cap when eating.  Thankful that we don’t have to deal with suits or tuxedos on “formal” nights, no problem with the “country club casual” rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

I have no idea where my (basically un-reasoned) antipathy towards ball caps/hats on men in the MDR comes from.  I have arguments with myself all the time on board ships.  I'll see a man with a hat in the MDR, and get ticked.  Then my frontal lobes kick in, telling myself to get a grip - in the grand scheme of things this is nothing - and let it go.  Then some other part of my brain starts yelling... "Who raised you that you think it's okay to wear a hat in the dining room???!!!"  It makes for interesting interior dialog.

I just think it's odd that so much rolls off me.... but this one thing sticks in my craw.  I definitely consider it my problem, and not the person wearing the hat.

My brain must be much smaller and more simple - no cap battles going on inside of it..

It is rude and inappropriate as many other behaviors are. Nothing I can do about it but deem it inappropriate. Caps at a patio table in the sun are a different story.

People that require head coverings for religious reasons do not use baseball caps for that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, shank63 said:

I was raised in an era where manners and decor mattered.  So, even in a McDonalds, I remove my cap when eating.  Thankful that we don’t have to deal with suits or tuxedos on “formal” nights, no problem with the “country club casual” rules.

I was raised   that  a man always removes his hat when in doors...  Years in the service requires it for both officer and Enlisted......   Its been the norm for over 100 years.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

People that require head coverings for religious reasons do not use baseball caps for that.

I beg to differ on that. It's quite common in NY City and surrounding suburbs among younger adults, some of whom may do it because they don't want to be identified in public as belonging to their religious group...either out of ignorance or fear of being subjected to verbal or even physical abuse by some of society's intolerant and bigoted members.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I beg to differ on that. It's quite common in NY City and surrounding suburbs among younger adults, some of whom may do it because they don't want to be identified in public as belonging to their religious group...either out of ignorance or fear of being subjected to verbal or even physical abuse by some of society's intolerant and bigoted members.

Understood.

Do you think they would feel compelled to do this on Oceania as well instead of wearing a kippah?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Understood.

Do you think they would feel compelled to do this on Oceania as well instead of wearing a kippah?

Some of the younger ones might because that's what they've done their entire lives. If it's accepted in their religious/social circles then they're likely to continue doing it because they believe it's "normal" to them.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Some of the younger ones might because that's what they've done their entire lives. If it's accepted in their religious/social circles then they're likely to continue doing it because they believe it's "normal" to them.

Well, then I think a few words from their parents is in order. I suspect they don't wear caps to the temple on Sabbath (or do they?).

There are some things I do at home (don't ask) that I would not do on Oceania.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Well, then I think a few words from their parents is in order. I suspect they don't wear caps to the temple on Sabbath (or do they?).

There are some things I do at home (don't ask) that I would not do on Oceania.

If my theory about why they wear baseball  caps is right...they're a disguise to be used in public done at least partially out of fear, then there's no reason to wear them in temple.

And I won't ask...since I'm sitting in my home office in my underwear while typing this...:classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1