Jump to content

What has surprised you during a Cabin Crawl?


halberd7
 Share

Recommended Posts

I, for one, did not know there was a baby grand piano in the only Haven I visited during the many cabin crawls I have experienced. During another crawl, a wife, who was in bed reading, did not know her husband volunteered their cabin... until all 30 of us walked in the door.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A well organized Cabin Crawl will include as many of the various types of cabins as are on the ship.

Inside  - straight in and side

Ocean View - full view and obstructed

Balcony - Forward Aft Mid-ship

Club Balcony - formerly Mini-Suite

Suite - multiple types location

xxxxx

Haven cabins should not be considered part of the Crawl as this a premium private area.

If you are to visit a Haven cabin it should be escorted in minimum numbers i.e. no more than 4.

View the cabin but not the overall Haven area other than to go directly in and out.

Just best to skip it all together. Guests are allowed in Haven cabins but not the Haven itself.

 

Participants should of course alert their cabin mates of the pending intrusion.

A well planned tour will start in the lower deck area and ascend in a defined pattern to

see the various cabins without a lot of back tracking - where possible consider breaking a large

group into two. As hint or reward for trekking the ship plan the last cabin visited to be near a

bar or lounge for a toast and celebration.

 

In lieu of future distance spacing the Cabin Crawl may be a thing of the past. Not to worry when

out and about getting around in the ship - there may be opportunities when a cabin steward will

have a door to a cabin open so you can stand back and take a peek - get an idea of what that

cabin is like in relationship to the one you are in. At the Meet & Greet (Mingle) seek out other

cabin mates for visits to see theirs.

 

WOW for a few dollars more or less I could have had THAT CABIN ! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one surprise I remember is learning the reason why people selected the cabin they selected...

For Example, if I remember correctly...

Transpacific - Couple always purchased inside cabins & had for this cruise - but at some point looked at the price of a Suite & decided to go for it...

We had a great party in their suite @ the end of the Cabin Crawl.

I don't recall what type of suite it was - it was forward facing, large bathroom, separate bedroom from living room & dining room... 

And best of all - 2 balconies - (1) on the side & a (1) large balcony out front.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Von & John said:

The one surprise I remember is learning the reason why people selected the cabin they selected...

For Example, if I remember correctly...

Transpacific - Couple always purchased inside cabins & had for this cruise - but at some point looked at the price of a Suite & decided to go for it...

We had a great party in their suite @ the end of the Cabin Crawl.

I don't recall what type of suite it was - it was forward facing, large bathroom, separate bedroom from living room & dining room... 

And best of all - 2 balconies - (1) on the side & a (1) large balcony out front.

 

Sounds like a JEWEL or DAWN class ship with the owners suite deck 9 or 10 forward.

While not at the top deck of the ship an excellent choice having those two balconies and more than

adequate living space - those on deck 10 being a tad bigger (dining area).

With the JEWEL class ships admittance to the HAVEN is included.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Sounds like a JEWEL or DAWN class ship with the owners suite deck 9 or 10 forward.

While not at the top deck of the ship an excellent choice having those two balconies and more than

adequate living space - those on deck 10 being a tad bigger (dining area).

With the JEWEL class ships admittance to the HAVEN is included.

 

Yes – it was the Jewel...

And I thought it was the Owners Suite - but I couldn’t find the listing on NCL’s site... 

Possibly b/c I did not look @ Haven Suites.  

We had friends in the Haven on the same cruise & went to their Suite one evening.  

 

Another couple generally booked Suites.  However, on this cruise, theirs was a last-minute purchase & they had an interior cabin…

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was truly surprised by the care and attention from the people who organized the crawl and participated in it. Many had snacks! And in each cabin there were envelopes and you would choose one at random. Each envelope contained a card and at the end of the crawl you tried to make the best poker hand. Everyone had contributed to a pot and that went to the winner, who turned out to be the people who had organized it! We were in the Deluxe Owner's Suite on the Star and when we saw the hands they refused to take the money so it went to the next best hand. So much fun!

 

Thank you for this great idea for a post, so positive and goodhearted!

Edited by valleyvillage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Von & John said:

The one surprise I remember is learning the reason why people selected the cabin they selected...

For Example, if I remember correctly...

Transpacific - Couple always purchased inside cabins & had for this cruise - but at some point looked at the price of a Suite & decided to go for it...

We had a great party in their suite @ the end of the Cabin Crawl.

I don't recall what type of suite it was - it was forward facing, large bathroom, separate bedroom from living room & dining room... 

And best of all - 2 balconies - (1) on the side & a (1) large balcony out front.

 

 

a couple bid the minimum for the Owner's suite and won. (either the Dawn or a Jewel class ship)

it was freaking huge with multiple balconies. (and/or wrap around balcony)

 

on the Gem, a solo bid minimum on a 2 bedroom Haven and won.

i think he booked his balcony as GTY with 'no solo supplement' but had to pay double for his winning bid.

 

for both, i dont remember what the bids were.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Sounds like a JEWEL or DAWN class ship with the owners suite deck 9 or 10 forward.

While not at the top deck of the ship an excellent choice having those two balconies and more than

adequate living space - those on deck 10 being a tad bigger (dining area).

With the JEWEL class ships admittance to the HAVEN is included.

Next the the GV on the Jewel, my favorite suite was the OS 10006 on the Dawn (for the smaller ships)!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

A well organized Cabin Crawl will include as many of the various types of cabins as are on the ship.

Inside  - straight in and side

Ocean View - full view and obstructed

Balcony - Forward Aft Mid-ship

Club Balcony - formerly Mini-Suite

Suite - multiple types location

xxxxx

Haven cabins should not be considered part of the Crawl as this a premium private area.

If you are to visit a Haven cabin it should be escorted in minimum numbers i.e. no more than 4.

View the cabin but not the overall Haven area other than to go directly in and out.

Just best to skip it all together. Guests are allowed in Haven cabins but not the Haven itself.

 

Participants should of course alert their cabin mates of the pending intrusion.

A well planned tour will start in the lower deck area and ascend in a defined pattern to

see the various cabins without a lot of back tracking - where possible consider breaking a large

group into two. As hint or reward for trekking the ship plan the last cabin visited to be near a

bar or lounge for a toast and celebration.

 

In lieu of future distance spacing the Cabin Crawl may be a thing of the past. Not to worry when

out and about getting around in the ship - there may be opportunities when a cabin steward will

have a door to a cabin open so you can stand back and take a peek - get an idea of what that

cabin is like in relationship to the one you are in. At the Meet & Greet (Mingle) seek out other

cabin mates for visits to see theirs.

 

WOW for a few dollars more or less I could have had THAT CABIN ! 

Wow, a lot of rules...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first time we went on a cabin crawl we were surprised how on some ships the Ocean view cabins are actually bigger than a Balcony stateroom, in fact it helped us choose an ocean view on our last cruise on October 2019, we were very happy with it.

Edited by spanishguy1970
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2020 at 7:49 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

As hint or reward for trekking the ship plan the last cabin visited to be near a

bar or lounge for a toast and celebration.

 

And, plan the cabin crawl to start near a bar or lounge for a toast and celebration with a mid-way stop at another bar for another toast and celebration. 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

 

And, plan the cabin crawl to start near a bar or lounge for a toast and celebration with a mid-way stop at another bar for another toast and celebration. 😉

Once I participated in a cabin/pub crawl combo. We went after the meet and greet and started at a bar. We alternated visiting cabins and bars. One of the couples on that tour was staying in the Owner’s Suite. When we toured their cabin they handed out plastic flower leis so that we all could say we got “lei’d” in the owners suite. Most fun I’ve had on a cabin tour. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My surprise wasn't as a participant in a cabin crawl.  I was hanging in the Studio lounge on the Bliss (I believe just before the solo meet for that night was to begin) and in came the cabin crawl.  I knew what it was as I'd already met some of the CC folks that were also touring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

Once I participated in a cabin/pub crawl combo. We went after the meet and greet and started at a bar. We alternated visiting cabins and bars. One of the couples on that tour was staying in the Owner’s Suite. When we toured their cabin they handed out plastic flower leis so that we all could say we got “lei’d” in the owners suite. Most fun I’ve had on a cabin tour. 

 

Now that's what I'm talking about, a cabin/pub crawl combo! Hilarious about the leis in the owners suite. Reminded me of when I worked on a U.S. flag pipe laying ship in the Gulf of Mexico. We were working a project for Exxon laying 12" pipe between offshore production platforms. The name of the project was The Lena Project. We had a saying on that ship that we "laid Lena with a 12"". We should've had t-shirts made with that saying on the front, lol.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hallux said:

My surprise wasn't as a participant in a cabin crawl.  I was hanging in the Studio lounge on the Bliss (I believe just before the solo meet for that night was to begin) and in came the cabin crawl.  I knew what it was as I'd already met some of the CC folks that were also touring.

 

Hallux - can you answer a question for me about the studio lounge? If you are sailing as a solo but do not have a studio cabin, can you access the studio lounge anytime? Or, can you only access the studio lounge to attend the nightly solo meet? (I've seen it posted both ways here on CC). Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2020 at 11:48 AM, valleyvillage said:

I was truly surprised by the care and attention from the people who organized the crawl and participated in it. Many had snacks! And in each cabin there were envelopes and you would choose one at random. Each envelope contained a card and at the end of the crawl you tried to make the best poker hand. Everyone had contributed to a pot and that went to the winner, who turned out to be the people who had organized it! We were in the Deluxe Owner's Suite on the Star and when we saw the hands they refused to take the money so it went to the next best hand. So much fun!

 

Thank you for this great idea for a post, so positive and goodhearted!

This poker hand sounds like fun. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gershep said:

This poker hand sounds like fun. 

 

 

 

 

XXX

 

One of the many things/ways to spice up the Meet & Greet (Mingle).

There is of course the cabin crawl -

The Slot Pull -

Gift Exchange -

A scavenger hunt - best organized by a guest that has been on that ship a few times to lay it

out in an interesting pattern (clues) -

 

Prizes trinkets - a guest with Concierge connections maybe able to arrange for more - dinners bottles of bubbly.

 

This is all wishful thinking waiting for Cruising to resume - - - - -

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@farmersfight I'll try to keep this short so as not to hijack the thread

 

As I've noted in other threads, the general rule is that if you're not in a Studio cabin you can only access the lounge during the solo meetup at 5 PM or if you befriend someone staying there and they let you in.  Apparently one or two have had success getting their cards programmed to let them in there even if they aren't in a Studio and they think it'll happen for anyone.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have participated in about six or eight cabin crawls on NCL ships, once as a host and the rest as a "crawler."  One time on the Dawn the crawl ended in the Owner's Suite.  The hosts had arranged with their butler for hors d'oeuvres and adult beverages, so about two dozen of us spent the afternoon getting to know each other and watching the world roll past the panoramic window of the Suite.  My wife and I returned the favor when we booked a Haven Spa Suite on the Getaway on a Transatlantic.  We also asked to be the last stop on the crawl and arranged champagne and snacks with our butler.  Our room was much smaller than the Owner's Suite, of course, but we still had over a dozen "crawlers" spend the afternoon with us.

 

Without doubt, however, the most surprising occurrence happened on another crawl while we were waiting to visit one of the cabins.  The group had bunched up in the hallway, when someone next door stepped out of his room to see what the commotion was about.  We explained to him that we were on a cabin crawl, then we explained what Cruise Critic is, and he said, "Would you like to see my room while you're here?"  Of course we said "Sure."  It turned out that he had a room with a rather unique configuration, one that none of us had ever seen before, and which we would have missed if he hadn't opened up.  Quite a surprise!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

  Of course we said "Sure."  It turned out that he had a room with a rather unique configuration, one that none of us had ever seen before, and which we would have missed if he hadn't opened up.  Quite a surprise!

 

what was so special about the room?

what ship?

what class room?

do you remember the room #?

Edited by fstuff1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on a cruise years ago with my teenage daughter and for some adult interaction I joined cruise critic and signed up for the activities planned for the cruise.  My daughter and I did the cabin crawl and we were lucky enough to tour the 3 bedroom haven suite (with the baby grand piano) as our last stop.  My daughter commented that their bathroom was bigger than our cabin (we had an interior), and the most memorable moment....instead of a towel animal on their bed, they had a towel person!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...