World Cruise 2021. Elephant in the Room?

mpclaw

I have now had three cruises cancel including December cruises on Serenity. And supposedly all is well and good come January 5, 2021? Just does not add up that other countries and even ports  in the US, like San Diego, and Oahu are going to allow a cruise ship to dock. And then on to Australia? 

Obviously we as passengers can get over our sadness and disappointment. My heart of course goes out to the crew who dedicate so, so much to our safety, comfort and well being. I can’t imagine the hardships they are incurring as so many of them support families all over the globe. I doubt they are covered by any unemployment or benefits like those available in the US.

I just don’t see cruising resuming until the virus becomes a distant memory. Very sad.

• Like 2

We currently hold reservations for 3 segments, LA-Tokyo. According to our latest documents, final payment is due 8/24/20. I've sent a note to our TA asking if this final payment date remains valid. IMHO, the chance of WC 2021 actually sailing is zero (0). We are waiting for a response from Crystal, via our TA, if the payment final dates have been extended. If so, we will wait-and-see until Crystal cancels the voyage. If not, we'll request refund of our deposit and move the administrative fee to another booking in 2022. To be continued...stay tuned...

Rob

13 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Not to mention the Symphony has pretty much zero chance of sailing in January. 

This is PURE speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Symphony mothballed for the time being at this point.  Even when I see Crystal restarting, I don't see them having enough demand to sail Symphony for enough time to make keeping her active worth the investment.  Maybe not scrapping her yet (though I don't think that's off the table), but not keeping her ready to sail either.

Vince

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

This is PURE speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Symphony mothballed for the time being at this point.  Even when I see Crystal restarting, I don't see them having enough demand to sail Symphony for enough time to make keeping her active worth the investment.  Maybe not scrapping her yet (though I don't think that's off the table), but not keeping her ready to sail either.

Vince

I suspect you may be correct about Symphony. When I read "...and laying up most of its current fleet..." in the release on the Genting thread the thought of moving Symphony from warm lay up to cold layup came to mind. It would definitely fit the announced plan of reducing expenditures!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

Yes of course it is speculation based on demand, airlift and the ports.  Singapore is now requiring tracking bracelets to be worn by returning residents.  The crew going through SIN were wearing hazmat suits.   They are offering agent rate on all segments which means they have lots of space.   Very sad but this is the new reality 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

Please no, that would be really heart breaking for me! I love the Symphony!!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

Me too!!  It's not something I'm hoping for, it's more of a fear...  But I can see how that would be a needed and logical step operationally.  😢 

Vince

1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

Me too! If there is only need for one ship, lay up the Serenity instead. Keep the Symphony!!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We were booked on the first leg, Jan. 5, 2021, but it really started to feel like it either wouldn't be going, or the COVID concerns would still be present, so we regretfully began the cancellation procedure.   This was to be our first time on Serenity and we were really looking forward to it and love the Panama Canal itinerary.  We had only sailed on Symphony several times and love it, I hope they hold onto it and take care of it for the future.  I miss Crystal, now our next fix won't be til Jan. 2022 on Serenity for the same Panama Canal trip....

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

Me too! If there is only need for one ship, lay up the Serenity instead. Keep the Symphony!!!!

Symphony, 25 years old. Serenity 17 years old. Symphony not in North America in over a year and not scheduled to be so through 20203 with no reason given. Ain't going to happen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Symphony, 25 years old. Serenity 17 years old. Symphony not in North America in over a year and not scheduled to be so through 20203 with no reason given. Ain't going to happen.

Agreed... I can think a lot of a list of things dooming Symphony if you had to pick a ship to withdraw (none of which I care about personally in selecting a favorite vessel), but the top three would be Symphony’s worse emission standards (though neither meet looming future requirements), lack of anchorless dynamic positioning (conventional propellers), and less efficient propulsion.  I suspect these margins are going to mean more and more to cruise lines in the new world we’re entering.

Vince

Certainly if you were going to retire one it would be Symphony but can you really run a cruise line with 1 ocean ship?  In these times maybe but..

Wonder if the airplanes are going to be gone - certainly didn't fit in with the rest

2 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Unfortunately, I agree that it does not look good for the Crystal Symphony. Any ship that is at least 25 years old is at risk of being sold or retired.

The big advantage of a ship that age is.....it's paid for.

One other consideration.  Lines such as Carnival and Royal have a clientele that wants the newest, biggest, most outrageous and glitzy ships afloat.  An older ship has far less appeal to their target market.  From the many affectionate comments here, Crystal guests are much more comfortable with an older ship than most mass-market customers.

Of course, operational cost issues are always a concern, but capital cost really isn't the issue for Crystal for their existing fleet, IMO.  (Think of the mortgage payment on one of those billion dollar plus RCI ships)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

The big advantage of a ship that age is.....it's paid for.

One other consideration.  Lines such as Carnival and Royal have a clientele that wants the newest, biggest, most outrageous and glitzy ships afloat.  An older ship has far less appeal to their target market.  From the many affectionate comments here, Crystal guests are much more comfortable with an older ship than most mass-market customers.

Of course, operational cost issues are always a concern, but capital cost really isn't the issue for Crystal for their existing fleet, IMO.  (Think of the mortgage payment on one of those billion dollar plus RCI ships)

I’ll second everyone who loves Symphony. The whole appeal, to me, is the classic luxury ambiance. I hate cruising on ships that look like Las Vegas.

• Like 2

Hi, 

I am a fan of the Crystal Symphony, too. However, Holland America recently sold its very popular Rotterdam and Amsterdam that specialized in long cruises. Both ships entered service after the Crystal Symphony (1997 and 2000, respectively). Of course, they also sold off the Veendam and Maasdam. After this development, I have grown increasingly concerned about the ships in this age group.

Chuck  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ctjon said:

Certainly if you were going to retire one it would be Symphony but can you really run a cruise line with 1 ocean ship?  In these times maybe but..

Wonder if the airplanes are going to be gone - certainly didn't fit in with the rest

Crystal Skye has a different risk, unrelated to Crystal's ocean ships.    It's main function is to serve Genting's luxury group and incentive business and is branded Crystal as part of their use as Genting's luxury brand.  Group and incentive travel is dead in the water right now because of social distancing, so it has little business outside of cargo (which it was last seen doing) and specialty charters (not in its normal segment).  

It's another thing that's too expensive to either sit around or be used as it's being used, but its existence isn't tied to Crystal's ships operating or not at least.

Vince

The two Crystal planes are depreciating assets for Genting.  Nobody will buy them as the US legacy carriers are parking their birds for the duration.  I guess they can just hold on  to them for another 3-4 years or whenever the economy is going to improve.

Its so sad to think of the beautiful 777 with only cargo.  Then again as my pilot friends say:  “You know what they call passengers that don’t complain:  cargo”.

• Like 1

Given that Delta has retired its entire 777 fleet, I don't think there would be a big market for a single 777 in an all-business configuration.  BA has retired their all-biz London-New York service.   Picking up only one aircraft usually doesn't happen unless there is commonality with engines, avionics and other onboard systems.

• Like 1

I really like Symphony also although I have no "problems" with Serenity.   For me a lot of the like is the great trips I've taken on Symphony such as the millennium cruise and the Tokyo to San Francisco one in 2019 and lots of others.

• Like 1

We just received an update from our TA. Final payment for the WC departing from LA in January 2021, without incurring penalties, and assuming Crystal doesn’t cancel the cruise first, has been deferred until 11/12/20. Final payment was originally scheduled on 8/24/20. 

Rob

Edited by ryndam
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1