Regent Price Match which is a nonsense ?

Baffled by the Price Match promise ....seems it only applies to a couple of cruises 

Anyone else had Oct cruises cancelled and looked at 2021 but the only price match offerings are  2 that are impossible timewise or destination wise 

We had a July, 18, 2020 cruise on Explorer for 18-days to Iceland cancelled by Regent; they offered us a Price Match in same cabin category on 2 "similar" cruises in July 2021.

One was a 12-day, Voyager to Iceland. No Way could this could be anywhere equivalent to our original cruise. In fact, a same size cabin on the 2021 cruise would use up all of the 25%FCC!

The other offered cruise with Price Match was 18-days on the Splendor in Norway and the Baltic- a great deal for us (hopefully it'll happen). It was same size cabin at cost of previous cruise. If it wasn't for this offer and a desire to take youngest grandson, we would have taken a refund.

1 hour ago, phillipahain said:

Definite problem fathoming what criteria they use for price match cruises ....no allowance for other commitments you might have like family weddings or other long term bookings 

You may want to check with your TA or Regent.  Unfortunately, we have to go by what Regent offers and cannot expect them to allow for other commitments or bookings.  I cannot imagine what a mess it would be if Regent had to work around everyone's schedules.  It would be better for them not to bother to make the offer than to go through that.

1 hour ago, phillipahain said:

Do you always go away on the very same weeks each year ...or do you choose cruises on itinery ?

Similar itinery offer ......surely would be the sensible way fwd 

We choose sailings based on the ship and time of the year rather than itinerary. We do sail very close to the same weeks each year.  

If we were offered a price match and we could not rearrange out schedule, we would have to let it go and book at a time that was good for us.  

in my opinion, price matching will become more and more difficult.  We are trying to find a cruise to use some of our FCC’s and many itineraries for late 2021 and 2022 are booked.

To us itinery is number one hence being offered totally different itinery that we have already done as a price match is pretty useless plus neither are at a time its possible to take .....the identical itinery to this years cancelled ones would have been welcomed with open arms ....

Another reason to get your cash in hand and use it in the future to book the cruise and itinerary that meets your needs. I am itinerary driven as well. If Regent raises the prices beyond what you think is fair value, there are other alternatives that are just as good as far as luxury cruise lines. If this pandemic keeps up for much longer there will be bargains to be had. The cruise lines don’t need to attract fresh money yet because of the FCC’s but the day is coming.

I see offering price match as a desperation move. We to are motivated by a combination of itinerary and price. Many itineraries we have done several times and don’t want to repeat. Others we never wanted. And we don’t know what future fares will be in the future. 

I have to agree that the price match gimmick which is a "spratt to cstch a mackerel " smacks of desperation and they must think we have no brains 

Hardly going to swap a 25 night trip for a pathetc 10 day one already done

Given the spread of Covid all travel companies are hurting hard 

Some people are thrilled with the price match offer.  After all, if you do find the same cruise for 2021 or 2022, the price will be higher than what you paid for your cancelled cruise.  It is quite the money saver.

In late 2018, we were booked on Explorer for a Panama Canal cruise that was going to sail in March 2020.  The cruise was starting to book up when it went all "waitlist".  Regent made the wise choice (well, wise at the time), to change the ship from Explorer to Splendor.  Those of us that booked Explorer received the exact same suite category for the same price on Splendor.  We were thrilled with the deal.  Unfortunately, Covid-19 struck and the cruise had to be cancelled less than 24 hours prior to embarkation.  

This is far from being a gimmick.  People that have been able to take advantage of it are happy campers.  Keep in mind that Regent does not have to make this offer.  Those of us with FCC's would book another cruise without any incentive.  What some posters need to realize is just how many Regent cruisers are repeats customers.  Frank states 50% for all three brands but our experience with Regent has been up to 80% repeat cruisers on most of our sailings.  They are counting on repeat cruisers to help them (and we will!) 

7 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I see offering price match as a desperation move. We to are motivated by a combination of itinerary and price. Many itineraries we have done several times and don’t want to repeat. Others we never wanted. And we don’t know what future fares will be in the future. 

Absolutely agree. Some folks are just happy to be on the ship and don’t have as keen a desire for the destination. We are destination oriented and wouldn’t do a similar cruise twice. There is too much to see and experienced in this world, including land trips in the US. But, to each his own. Variety makes the world go round.

Our first cruise, January 1973 was itinerary driven.  Miami to Miami, nine Caribbean islands.  $2800 including cruise, airfare and spending money.  Every one of our cruises has been itinerary driven,   Quebec to NYC, Western Med, British Isles, Alaska, Caribbean ships large and small.  First you shop the itinerary and then the ship.  Hubby likes Regent.

14 minutes ago, cruiseczarina said:

Our first cruise, January 1973 was itinerary driven.  Miami to Miami, nine Caribbean islands.  $2800 including cruise, airfare and spending money.  Every one of our cruises has been itinerary driven,   Quebec to NYC, Western Med, British Isles, Alaska, Caribbean ships large and small.  First you shop the itinerary and then the ship.  Hubby likes Regent.

I suppose that we are different since we did almost 20 years of international travel prior to 16 years of cruising.  So, we have been to the places that we are most interested in numerous times.  So, whether we stay on the ship or go ashore - it makes little difference.  What does make a difference is the ship.  

Must say that you are getting a great deal if you pay $2800 for a cruise, airfare and spending money.  We pay that per day on some itineraries (for two people) but everything is included.  

I don’t know if I agree that the same cruise that Regent cancelled will cost more in 2021, 2022, or 2023. It might, but it may also cost less. The cruise lines (as well as airlines, hotels, and the whole travel industry) have a bit of a big job convincing  many of us that “big travel” is safe.  And while I hope this is soon possible, this is not time for price increases.  I know that FDR says “there won’t be any cut rate deals”, but what will he do if cash bookings do not show up?  None of us know what demand for cruising will be one to three years in advance.  We don’t even know if there will be cruising one to three years from now. 

And how do those in the US interior get to a cruise. Here, we are served by United and AA. Neither of them are providing any degree of distancing (blocking the middle seat in economy) so I tried to book a first class on AA to DFW so I could see my grandson play football. There were no first class seats available, and the cost for basic economy (which we would never take) was astronomical! The Washington Post has recently contained articles about how we can expect future airline irregularities after Oct. 1 when they are free to lay off employees. If they get more unreliable than pre-pandemic, we are not going to book a cruise that requires air. For us, that is all of them. 

Edited by Dolebludger
44 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I don’t know if I agree that the same cruise that Regent cancelled will cost more in 2021, 2022, or 2023. It might, but it may also cost less. The cruise lines (as well as airlines, hotels, and the whole travel industry) have a bit of a big job convincing  many of us that “big travel” is safe.  And while I hope this is soon possible, this is not time for price increases.  I know that FDR says “there won’t be any cut rate deals”, but what will he do if cash bookings do not show up?  None of us know what demand for cruising will be one to three years in advance.  We don’t even know if there will be cruising one to three years from now. 

And how do those in the US interior get to a cruise. Here, we are served by United and AA. Neither of them are providing any degree of distancing (blocking the middle seat in economy) so I tried to book a first class on AA to DFW so I could see my grandson play football. There were no first class seats available, and the cost for basic economy (which we would never take) was astronomical! The Washington Post has recently contained articles about how we can expect future airline irregularities after Oct. 1 when they are free to lay off employees. If they get more unreliable than pre-pandemic, we are not going to book a cruise that requires air. For us, that is all of them. 

Another airline screed. Been a while but knew it would reappear. Surprised it took so long.

CBWIR,

Yes, and you make me sorry that I brought this up. Perhaps, when we book a Regent cruise again, you will pick us up in your private jet and take us to the port?  Or perhaps it is expected that we take at least a three day car drive each way ? And this is to a domestic port. I don’t have a car that will cross an ocean.

Of course, the availability, reliability, and safety of air to get to a Regent cruise is an important factor in Regent’s viability for more than half of US guests. What part of this do you not understand?

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

In terms of 2021 and the first half of 2022 cruises, every one that we have considered booking is more money than in 2020 (which is to be expected).   As I have posted, if/when there is a sailing that just isn't selling, it is not generally discounted (there have been a few exceptions).  Instead, they offer OBCs or other promotions.  

I do have to wonder why you (and others) are so negative about the future of Regent and cruising.  It does not make sense to me - especially since Regent has enough backing to not have any cruise for a year and a half (hopefully this will not happen).  There will likely be a vaccine next year which has to be considered.  

You have said that you do not like airlines but I do not expect to see changes with them in the foreseeable future.  It is what it is.  The best that we can do is do Custom Air with Regent and select the best airline that you can for the International Business Class (there are really some good ones that contract Regent ...... one of them - Emirates, has insurance in case anyone gets sick!  We do not enjoy flying coach either so we book First Class across the U.S. and just look at it as part of the cruise cost.  It is less money to book these flights on your own as Regent gets top dollar for them.  We found a flight today from Seattle to MIA - First Class - roundtrip for around $1,800.  Once you deduct the air credit, it will cost $1,200.  

It is possible that you have underestimated the number of repeat Regent cruisers that are quite anxious to cruise as soon as they can safely do so.  We (repeat cruisers) can pay cash, use FCC's or a combination of both.  We have had two cruises cancelled with two more to go this year.  Had these cruises sailed, we would not have the FCC's or the cash back to be used to book more cruises.  So, to us, it is like having a whole lot of extra money to spend on cruising.  Had the pandemic not occurred, we still would have had two cruises this year and three next year and would have paid for it in cash.  If we decide to cruise beyond 2021, we are not counting on having FCC's and will use the good old dollar to pay for our cruises.  

Again, it is a choice.  Anyone can choose to take vacations locally, can fly to a land destination or cruise.  You have to do what is right for you.

My point was that we don’t know what the cost of cruise over the next three years will be. Some may be priced higher now, but will demand allow that price? I don’t know. But if I were a gambling man (which I am not) my money would be on the event that there will be cruise price reductions in the future. This was the case after 9/11.

And CBWIR, the price reductions after 9/11 was due to fear of flying to a cruise, not what would happen onboard.

I have checked every one of the possible options for 2021 ....same number of days plus pretty much similar ports and in every case the fare is double the cost of the cruise thats just been cancelled and had been fully paid for  .....hence even additional 25%  because final payment had been made or the carrot of $1000 OBC  simply does not stack up .because theres still the other 75% to find 

The price match offered for what was a 25 day cruise       was 2 very different 7 day itineries 3 weeks apart so 2 lots of flights had to be added .....total of 14 days  versus 25 days is hardly tenable or any kind of price match 

Yes we prefer Regent but that does not mean we can find or justify an extra 75% 

I haven’t done the research that you have done but if that is true then shame on Regent for a bait and switch game. I am so happy I took my refund instead of FCC’s. If Regent jax’s up their prices, I will look to other equally luxury cruise lines to spend my money or maybe do some land based trips I have on my bucket list. I would love to cruise with Regent but Will wait and see how this all shakes out. I am beginning to think that cruising won’t start in earnest until Q2 2021 at the earliest. 

3 hours ago, phillipahain said:

I have checked every one of the possible options for 2021 ....same number of days plus pretty much similar ports and in every case the fare is double the cost of the cruise thats just been cancelled and had been fully paid for  .....hence even additional 25%  because final payment had been made or the carrot of $1000 OBC  simply does not stack up .because theres still the other 75% to find 

The price match offered for what was a 25 day cruise       was 2 very different 7 day itineries 3 weeks apart so 2 lots of flights had to be added .....total of 14 days  versus 25 days is hardly tenable or any kind of price match 

Yes we prefer Regent but that does not mean we can find or justify an extra 75% 

I just spent a few minutes on rssc.com looking at 2021 cruise prices and comparing them to the prices in the July 2020 through May 2022 paper catalog. My search was not nearly as exhaustive as yours but I did not see any of the large price increases you have been reporting. Most prices were unchanged and the other increases were $200 or less for Category E, which is our preferred category. 

What specific cruises were you looking at that were double the price?  I was looking on the US web site. Are you shopping the US or UK site?

UK site and prices quoted by Regent .....i am still looking and searching maybe whats been cancelled was on some kind of a deal and thats the rub .

However its Regent who are really not being fair in offering such  impossible price matches