Carnival update

Bin man

38 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Also, https://www.carnivalcorp.com/Updates-on-Cruise-Operations now sets out fleetwide protocols being put into place.

This looked and sounded fine, until the Aida instances, proved that there is a a big hole somewhere in the system.

Also all the other start ups, that have recently proved unsuccessful, have based there confidence on similar lines.

Covid has beaten them all, and it is not going away any time soon.

The industry needs to work with the scientists, including funding the research, to come up with a vaccine.

• Like 1

I was talking to someone from Public Health England the other day. Covid is going to hang around like flu does from year to year. It will become a fact of life that people get Covid on holiday like people get the flu or norovirus.

We don't need to have a vaccine, we just need to work out ways to minimise transmission and restore those who catch it to full health quickly.

You’ll notice that the number of serious cases, assisted breathing and deaths, are still going down yet the number of cases are going up slightly. That’s because we are learning how to fight it.

A vaccine will be a big win but learning to reduce the effects of infection are just as important.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Denarius said:

I understand that all ocean cruises from US ports have been cancelled until 31 October.

Royals news was for worldwide sailings except for strangely Australia although no chance of Australia sailings happening this year.

14 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I was talking to someone from Public Health England the other day. Covid is going to hang around like flu does from year to year. It will become a fact of life that people get Covid on holiday like people get the flu or norovirus.

We don't need to have a vaccine, we just need to work out ways to minimise transmission and restore those who catch it to full health quickly.

You’ll notice that the number of serious cases, assisted breathing and deaths, are still going down yet the number of cases are going up slightly. That’s because we are learning how to fight it.

A vaccine will be a big win but learning to reduce the effects of infection are just as important.

I agree in part! would not want to catch it or be close to it on board ship.

Just now, grapau27 said:

Royals news was for worldwide sailings except for strangely Australia although no chance of Australia sailings happening this year.

Graham

Until we can have more then 30 at a wedding, no chance to have 1000s leaving UK on a cruise!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Graham

Until we can have more then 30 at a wedding, no chance to have 1000s leaving UK on a cruise!

We are not in a hurry to get on a ship.

Pauline and I have worked from home during lockdown.

I did some shop calls for the first time yesterday and was shocked how many people were not wearing face masks.

Edited by grapau27

Graham, just back from visiting the friend we cruise with in London.  None of us are even interested in getting on a ship.  We have also just cancelled our drive to Scotland.  Aberdeen has just had a breakout and we said to each other, Why are we going?  The answer was we didn't have an answer, so we are just not going.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I did some shop calls for the first time yesterday and was shocked how many people were not wearing face masks.

100% compliance down here Graham, everyone seems to have embraced it. 

Andy 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Graham, just back from visiting the friend we cruise with in London.  None of us are even interested in getting on a ship.  We have also just cancelled our drive to Scotland.  Aberdeen has just had a breakout and we said to each other, Why are we going?  The answer was we didn't have an answer, so we are just not going.

A lot of my friends on RCL forums are saying exactly the same.

They were desperate to cruise initially but now some of them say they might not cruise again.

We have been to the Lake District for the day twice in the last few weeks and going to Harrogate tomorrow for the day and next week we are taking Pauline's cousin and her husband on our regular tour of the Lakes(Keswick, Grasmere, Windermere and Ullswater).

Shame about your Scotland tour but a wise decision with local lockdowns.

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A lot of my friends on RCL forums are saying exactly the same.

They were desperate to cruise initially but now some of them say they might not cruise again.

We have been to the Lake District for the day twice in the last few weeks and going to Harrogate tomorrow for the day and next week we are taking Pauline's cousin and her husband on our regular tour of the Lakes(Keswick, Grasmere, Windermere and Ullswater).

Shame about your Scotland tour but a wise decision with local lockdowns.

Are you going to Bettys', Graham ?

Edited by happy v
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

100% compliance down here Graham, everyone seems to have embraced it. 

Andy 

In the large supermarkets and shopping outlets up here 100%.compliance.

My sales calls are independent convenience stores and mask wearing by customers was minimal in these.

Independent shops need the business plus none of the owners were wearing masks either.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, happy v said:

Are you going to Bettys', Graham ?

Not this time but the champagne afternoon tea we had was excellent.

It is best to pre-book at Bettys.

We usually have lunch sitting outside of the Fat Badger pub which is part of the Whitehart Hotel where we have stayed a few times in the centre of Harrogate near the antique quarter.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Not this time but the champagne afternoon tea we had was excellent.

It is best to pre-book at Bettys.

We usually have lunch sitting outside of the Fat Badger pub which is part of the Whitehart Hotel in the centre of Harrogate near the antique quarter.

We stayed there when we went to the flower show. A few years ago now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, happy v said:

We stayed there when we went to the flower show. A few years ago now.

We have stayed there 3 times for a night each time and always enjoyed it plus the food and ales are excellent.

Have you been to Betty's?

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

This looked and sounded fine, until the Aida instances, proved that there is a a big hole somewhere in the system.

Also all the other start ups, that have recently proved unsuccessful, have based there confidence on similar lines.

Covid has beaten them all, and it is not going away any time soon.

The industry needs to work with the scientists, including funding the research, to come up with a vaccine.

I hope that Carnival will have learnt from the Aida issue, and will in future ensure that longer quarantine periods and more testing of new crew is in place before any new sailings. This was the only problem experienced, solely because the cruise could not take place as a result, so we need to see what other issues arise when Aida does start cruising again, before we right off this venture.

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

If that’s what someone at Public Health England is telling you then it is no wonder that they are being discredited at present. I remember at the outset we were all told that the vast majority of people who get COVID-19 would have ‘mild to moderate symptoms’. Well, that might be the case for the majority of those under 50, but the majority of cruise passengers (out of school holidays) are older than that and ‘mild to moderate’ isn’t what I am seeing and hearing for that age group. A large proportion of those over 50 who survive it seem to be left with residual problems that can be life changing. The respiratory issues are bad enough, but I hadn’t realised until today that a lot of people have had strokes as a result of Covid-19 with all that entails. 

We are all desperate for life to return to normal, but that desire is causing many to ignore the facts. This is a virus the like of which we haven’t seen for 100 years and without a vaccine that simply cannot happen for those over 50 who wish to live to a ripe old age. We are really missing our cruises, but have closely followed the science and the facts about the virus and, as a result, have taken the view that we won’t set foot on any cruise ship until we are vaccinated. If cruise companies thought that cruising was no more risky than going to work, or to pubs, restaurants, or than the other overseas holidays that are now allowed, don’t you think they would be jumping up and down calling foul and insisting that cruises resume now? The reason that they aren’t doing so is because they know that it isn’t. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

100% usage of masks here in rural Lincs, and we don't even have any cases!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have stayed there 3 times for a night each time and always enjoyed it plus the food and ales are excellent.

Have you been to Betty's?

Bought my first house in Harrogate around 1977 ( with some help  from my Dad) , having previously lived in Knaresborough opposite Mother Shipton's Cave. .£16,000 for a 3 bed semi!  Ah, nostalgia.  I'll be talking about my Capri with a vinyl roof next.

Can I suggest William & Victoria Bistro on Cold Bath Road  (great road name!) for a good meal.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

If that’s what someone at Public Health England is telling you then it is no wonder that they are being discredited at present. I remember at the outset we were all told that the vast majority of people who get COVID-19 would have ‘mild to moderate symptoms’. Well, that might be the case for the majority of those under 50, but the majority of cruise passengers (out of school holidays) are older than that and ‘mild to moderate’ isn’t what I am seeing and hearing for that age group. A large proportion of those over 50 who survive it seem to be left with residual problems that can be life changing. The respiratory issues are bad enough, but I hadn’t realised until today that a lot of people have had strokes as a result of Covid-19 with all that entails. 

We are all desperate for life to return to normal, but that desire is causing many to ignore the facts. This is a virus the like of which we haven’t seen for 100 years and without a vaccine that simply cannot happen for those over 50 who wish to live to a ripe old age. We are really missing our cruises, but have closely followed the science and the facts about the virus and, as a result, have taken the view that we won’t set foot on any cruise ship until we are vaccinated. If cruise companies thought that cruising was no more risky than going to work, or to pubs, restaurants, or than the other overseas holidays that are now allowed, don’t you think they would be jumping up and down calling foul and insisting that cruises resume now? The reason that they aren’t doing so is because they know that it isn’t. 

Selbourne - I agree with much of what you say, but deaths directly due to CV19 are now in single figures. 

However, deaths from heart attacks, cancer,  reduced organ transplants etc have increased dramatically over the last 6 months.

It's not an easy judgement to make, but society has to start to prioritise.  The economy needs to recover, sick people need to get treatment and be seen by doctors and admitted to hospital. Those with underlying symptoms that may be at risk due to CV19  will obviously still need to take precautionary measures. 

I think we may need to have a new reality whereby the vast majority of the population carry  on as before, with certain restrictions,  and the susceptible live a more restricted lifestyle, based on their own personal risk assessment.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1