Diamond Princess moving from Japan and Asia to a new destination from October 2021

dides

18 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

My guess is that even Princess doesn’t know how long the Diamond will be away from the Asian market. 

In addition, Diamond Princess will sail on two new Pacific Crossings to and from Asia in fall 2021 and spring 2022 and sail the North Pacific Ocean with either Southeast Asia and Hawaii or Hawaii and Japan. These sailings are between Los Angeles and either Singapore or Yokohama (Tokyo).

That means there will be a reposition cruise from Los Angeles to Asia in April 2022. But of course the plan can be changed again.

My thoughts are that the Diamond is going to take the cruises that Sapphire is doing in fall 2021 and then all of 2022.
I think the Sapphire will go to Asia in the  fall of 2021. My reasoning is that the Diamond will be considered bad luck by many Asian people especially the Chinese.

I am booked for the cruise of 4 Jan 2022 but I am trying to find out if the ships meet the Polar Code requirements which come into full effect 1 Jan 2022. If not they cannot sail below 60 degrees which current itineraries do. There is much discussion about this on the HAL board. Otherwise it will literally be sailing past the tip of an iceberg.

I just received two emails from Princess confirming that my Iguazu Falls Cruisetour and follow on cruise from Santiago to Los Angeles in March 2022 has been changed from the Sapphire Princess to the Diamond Princess.

New booking numbers were issued within an hour of receiving the email.  Since they are sister ships my stateroom location remained the same.

Hey waltd;

Yep, I received the e-mails too. Looks like they are pretty identical design. My cabin also the same. 

To those who have not done the Diamond, I liked the change. That is, if the Diamond is as it was when we sailed in it 5 years ago. I like that it have 4 small MDR's. Each had a specialty disk, and I loved the Osse Bucco. (sp?). 

As for it's unfortunate early problems with COVID, we shall hope to be well past that by then. And since our cruise [Dec 2021; 34 days LA - BA] will be far from the 1st, we should have plenty of time to assess. 

I am assuming the Sapphire will be taking the Diamond's place in Asia, though of course it may be more complex. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, generichandle said:

Hey waltd;

Yep, I received the e-mails too. Looks like they are pretty identical design. My cabin also the same. 

To those who have not done the Diamond, I liked the change. That is, if the Diamond is as it was when we sailed in it 5 years ago. I like that it have 4 small MDR's. Each had a specialty disk, and I loved the Osse Bucco. (sp?). 

As for it's unfortunate early problems with COVID, we shall hope to be well past that by then. And since our cruise [Dec 2021; 34 days LA - BA] will be far from the 1st, we should have plenty of time to assess. 

I am assuming the Sapphire will be taking the Diamond's place in Asia, though of course it may be more complex. 

Have you checked your pricing?   Seems ours went up by $300. per person and  some of the benefits  have changed.    Not too happy about that.

1 hour ago, generichandle said:

When I was on the Sapphire Princess 2 years ago - they did away with the speciality meal in each restaurant.

Received my new confirmation this afternoon.  Same cabin, price and add ons.   As princess stated in their email, everything was protected.   
Big decision now is do we want to sail on the Diamond.  No Alfredos, International Cafe or Vines.   Plus the sun deck has the Japanese Bath house taking up space.

Edited by kiwimum

6 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

My reasoning is that the Diamond will be considered bad luck by many Asian people especially the Chinese.

That has to be an issue.  I'm sure going to think of it as the pandemic ship for quite a while.   Time heals all wounds but right now I wouldn't willingly book a cruise on the Diamond.  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That has to be an issue.  I'm sure going to think of it as the pandemic ship for quite a while.   Time heals all wounds but right now I wouldn't willingly book a cruise on the Diamond.  

I talked with the DW and we figured that the Diamond will be best cleaned ship when is back in service. Because of the problems they will be super careful in doing health controls. Probably prices might be lower as well.

Totally annoyed:

VOYAGE CANCELLATION - APRIL 5, 2022 - SAPPHIRE PRINCESS
Please be advised that due to deployment changes, Sapphire Princess' 15-day Hawaiian Islands voyage departing April 5, 2022 has been cancelled. Please contact your travel advisor for additional information, including alternate sailing dates. We sincerely apologize for any disappointment this cancellation may cause and look forward to welcoming you onboard a Princess ship in the future.

No thank you very much!

Our prices and location remained as is, except for the insurance, which oddly went down. Again, while I understand the reluctance due to previous COVID outbreak, this ship will already have a lot of sailing time under it's belt since; when we board. I anticipate no related problem. We shall certainly see, and decide then accordingly. 

I do wonder if they will 'refit' the ship when the switch is made; since they had tried to 'Asianize' [LOL] the ship when it was decided to make it completely Asia bound. 

If they no longer have the four small MDR's I will be sorry to lose those. But if COVID is in the rear view mirror for us by then, I AM going! I have been 'in' since 2-28 and this is a lifeline for me. 

19 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

I talked with the DW and we figured that the Diamond will be best cleaned ship when is back in service. Because of the problems they will be super careful in doing health controls. Probably prices might be lower as well.

Haha, once again logic and rational thought prevail over superstitions!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

Totally annoyed:

Please be advised that due to deployment changes, Sapphire Princess' 15-day Hawaiian Islands voyage departing April 5, 2022 has been cancelled. Please contact your travel advisor for additional information, including alternate sailing dates. We sincerely apologize for any disappointment this cancellation may cause and look forward to welcoming you onboard a Princess ship in the future.

No thank you very much!

All cruises on the Sapphire from Oct 2021 into 2022 have been cancelled.

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

What are the chances Sapphire will return to Australia of the 2021-22 summer season downunder?🤔 Time will tell.

I guess Sapphire will more likely to be re-deployed to Singapore.

The Singapore itineraries in 2021-22 winter are also not yet revealed.

Possible ship will be Royal / Regal / Emerald / Coral / Sapphire / Sun / Sea.

My guessing is Royal + Regal + Emerald + Coral will go to Australia.

Sapphire will go to Singapore.

Edited by Cruise Wonderland

1 hour ago, Busy Mum said:

Gee I hope so! 🤞🤞😁

As of today, 20 August 2020 check out the Melbourne cruise schedule for 2021/22

https://www.vicports.vic.gov.au/cruise-shipping/Pages/cruise-ship-schedule-2.aspx

It gets even more interesting for the 2022/23 season

https://www.vicports.vic.gov.au/cruise-shipping/Pages/cruise-ship-schedule-3.aspx

14 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

https://www.vicports.vic.gov.au/cruise-shipping/Pages/cruise-ship-schedule-2.aspx

https://www.vicports.vic.gov.au/cruise-shipping/Pages/cruise-ship-schedule-3.aspx

Thank you LC1950, that has certainly put a 🙂 on my face!! Let’s hope all these schedules happen and we see a return to cruising end of next year! We love the Sapphire and I even see the Coral Princess in 2023, that would be wonderful also. 🙂 

On 8/19/2020 at 11:37 PM, LC1950 said:

The scheduled ship can change at anytime. These are names for holding the times for Princess. It’s like the Diamond replacing the Sapphire in South America for late 21 and early 22.

On 8/18/2020 at 7:21 PM, Travlin grrl said:

I wouldn't mind doing South America and Cape Horn. Looks like there will be a lot of options. And that is one part of the world I haven't traveled to. 

DH and I did what turned out to be be our last cruise in the 2020 season on the Coral for So America, Cape Horn and 4 days scenic cruising in Antarctica.  We returned Feb 8 just as the virus was ramping up.  It was the most awesome trip.  And we did a 9 day pre cruise  land trip using Cosmos from Rio to Buenos Aires with Iguaza Falls both Brazil and Argentina side.  Wow!  And we loved Buenos Aires.  We were gone about a month total and I cannot say enough great things about Cosmos and Princess.  Antarctica was our last continent to visit and it did not disappoint....even if just the Peninsula.  The on board lectures were the best ever as well as the commentary during the 4 days scenic cruising.  We had Capt Todd McBain who was superb!!!  He took the Coral into areas Princess ships had never been and even inside the caldera at Deception Island that no large cruise ship had ever been in.  Take advantage of all that will be offered - only a teeny tiny percentage of the world population have the privilege to see this awesome area of our planet.  

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 4:37 PM, LC1950 said:

I guessed on the Aust&NZ forum that Diamond Princess was possibly coming to Australia even though it was said a 'new' location even though Diamond has previously sailed from Australia.  Let's see if it really happens!   So great leaving from Melbourne also. 

On 8/18/2020 at 11:21 PM, Ferd Berfle said:

Totally annoyed:

No thank you very much!

Kind of nice that you know 20 months out