Future cruises with Crystal?

It has been kind of depressing to read the Cruise Critic boards in relation to Crystal Cruises since Coronavirus started. The difficulties of Crystal to refund are so evident that no one is making excuses anymore.

In addition, more and more is being speculated if Crystal can survive this situation.

I do not know how representative the Cruise Critic members are from the whole guests that book with Crystal, but are there still those around, who have cruises booked with Crystal? 

We have cruises booked, and no, we are not insured against service provider default. 0ur earliest cruise booked is for November 2021. We have two more booked for 2022 including the World Cruise. Any one else taking the risk? 

Ivi

I am still booked for the 2022 world cruise, and I do have travel insurance on it that covers default.  The language of that coverage is convoluted and hard to understand, which to me means that they may have figured out how to say they are covering it without really doing so.  Some of the cost will be paid with FCC, and I am not sure if any of that part is insurable.  I have cancelled my 2020 and 2021 bookings on Crystal.  All of these bookings were made before 2020.  I don't think I would make a new booking right now, unless I had FCC with no existing booking to apply it to.

Ivi, hopefully we will have the opportunity to meet on WC 2022!  I really like that it is a round trip out of LA (for me), so I won't have any flights involved.

Karen

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

I have several cruises booked on the Symphony 2021-2022 and am in the process of booking some for 2023. I also have one river cruise in 2022. 

I and my travel companions have the 2021-2022 cruises booked. We’re negotiating over our 2023 selections. 

I have a 20 day cruise in July 2021 and I'm unsure whether to cancel. Final payment isn't due until end of January, it isn't covered by the new Crystal Confidence. I am going to wait until after Christmas and decide then. 

I’m looking at booking a 2022 cruise, but none of them quite check the boxes for me so I’m trying to figure out which one I want to compromise on.

Professionally, I had to take on the task of tracking tens of thousands of dollars (each) for hotels of just about every affiliation owing pre-COVID commission payments (mostly 2019), so I’m completely numb to the refund issue at this point.  I understand why others feel as they do, but if I had to hold a grudge against companies that owe “me” money for months on end, I’d never be able to stay in a hotel with beds again.

Vince

Ivi,

I have several cruises booked for 2021 and 2022 and, in fact, added two for later in 2021 recently.

I'm not booking 2023 yet.  I feel there is plenty of time for that and don't want to put additional money on the table.

The cruises I did cancel were for the remainder of the year and early 2021.  I didn't wait for Crystal to cancel them but all have been cancelled by Crystal except for the one early next year.

We have many friends who are not on CC.  

Like CC members some have cruises booked, some have added more, some have cancelled some and like all of us no one knows for sure what the future will bring and are not 100% certain how things will play out.

I do think for some of them who are not adverse to travel they are not sure what to do with respect to bookings coming up which require a full payment.  

As to refunds, Ivi I don't read any threads on the CC board or another board about them.  Only read one on CC when a friend gave me a heads up to read something where my name was mentioned.  My advice is if you don't want to get depressed don't read them.  This has worked for me.  

In the USA there is a glimmer of hope about vaccines.  I'm hoping what we hear will turn out to be correct but we'll see how it plays out and hopefully more will be known in a few months.  Of course, getting vaccines through successful trials is the first challenge.  The second one is to make enough dosages to satisfy demand and the third challenge is to get everyone through the process who wants a vaccination.  Each part to this is a major challenge.  

I do think that Crystal is in the same "boat" as most cruise line companies when it comes to the financial travels.  I believe it was the head of Regent (but I could be wrong) who recently said the cruise lines finances are not set up to do the amount of refunding required with so many cancellations.  

The number of companies faced with major financial challenges is mind boggling including hotels and airlines and in the USA other companies such as retailers, restaurants, movie theaters, and amusement parks and so many other places including museums.  

Keith

Originally I had 3 bookings on Crystal for 2020 and 3 on Hapag Lloyd  - all of them cancelled 

The virus made me dance  or "balance" from one cruise to another ... Crystal Esprit cancelled for Croatia - late booking for August 2020 , so   Dubai Dubai booked also cancelled  - Crystal Mahler  and Serenity also cancelled ...

For 2021 I hopefully will be 4 times on Crystal   - the first is Singapore Malé but I am very afraid that will result in another cancellation 

Also 2 cruises for 2022 booked ...

I hope the vaccination is found as soon as possible 

Major problem is the cancellation of the flights as well -  still waiting for refunds for  flights booked departure  March 2020 

Ivi,

I still have my 2021 and 2022 cruises booked.  I’m not overly confident my cruise next June will go.  At this point, I will not book anything else including 2023 as I don’t want to give crystal anymore money.

time will tell, hoping for a vaccine sooner than later and I miss cruising on crystal.

Nancy

4 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I am still booked for the 2022 world cruise, and I do have travel insurance on it that covers default.  The language of that coverage is convoluted and hard to understand, which to me means that they may have figured out how to say they are covering it without really doing so.  Some of the cost will be paid with FCC, and I am not sure if any of that part is insurable.  I have cancelled my 2020 and 2021 bookings on Crystal.  All of these bookings were made before 2020.  I don't think I would make a new booking right now, unless I had FCC with no existing booking to apply it to.

Ivi, hopefully we will have the opportunity to meet on WC 2022!  I really like that it is a round trip out of LA (for me), so I won't have any flights involved.

Karen

Karen, I also hope that we can meet on the 2022 WC. It would be wonderful. It seems like a long time from now, but it gives us something to look forward 😊

Ivi

I have nothing booked on any cruise line and will not book anything until the situation is under control.  By that I mean a vaccine and cruises sailing successfully for six months, at least.  I don’t see that happening until 2022.  I am not committing any money to a cruise line that may go bankrupt and possibly lose that money.

I have accepted all of this and I am fine with this. I had my first cruise in 1971 (my parents loved cruises before it was mainstream) and sailed at least two every year since then.  Living in the moment and being grateful for what i have is what I do now instead of planning for cruises that most likely may not go.

I don't know if y'all know this but Crystal is offering no deposit bookings for 3 months I have booked one stateroom that I wanted on one cruise and the other a guarantee, on a cruise in 2022 and 2023. If you want a specific stateroom or are having trouble deciding which cruise(s) you wish to take, and aren't looking to sail for a while it is a good deal. It gives us time to see how things are in a few months and no cash outlay to boot until that time. It is a limited time offer needless to say I don't remember when it ends.  .Just saying..:)

Edited by wearesiamese
6 hours ago, nancygp said:

Ivi,

I still have my 2021 and 2022 cruises booked.  I’m not overly confident my cruise next June will go.  At this point, I will not book anything else including 2023 as I don’t want to give crystal anymore money.

time will tell, hoping for a vaccine sooner than later and I miss cruising on crystal.

Nancy

Nancy, where is your cruise in June next year? I understand how you feel about not being willing to put more money on more cruises with Crystal under such uncertain conditions. I think many of us feel in a similar way.
Still I am hoping that we will be able to cruise with Crystal again next year. Maybe not in the first months but June? It could be. It is almost a year from now...

Ivi

1 minute ago, travelberlin said:

Nancy, where is your cruise in June next year? I understand how you feel about not being willing to put more money on more cruises with Crystal under such uncertain conditions. I think many of us feel in a similar way.
Still I am hoping that we will be able to cruise with Crystal again next year. Maybe not in the first months but June? It could be. It is almost a year from now...

Ivi

the Norway cruise, London to Copenhagen.  It will be our third Norway cruise.  We have bookings as well for 2022 and will wait on anything else for the time being.

nancy

We have Crystal river bookings for late 2021 and mid 2022.  Going forward, we'd like to know the capacity limits on Crystal ocean before we commit.  We are leaning towards future bookings with our other favorite cruise line which operates much smaller ships. 

I have a cruise with Crystal booked for mid April 2012. This was rescheduled from our June 2020 cruise that was cancelled. I’m cautiously optimistic at this point. I’m traveling with my 80 year old mother, so if there isn’t a vaccine by then, I’m not sure if she will go if the cruise isn’t cancelled. If she doesn’t go, then I have to decide if I go without her. If the cruise is cancelled, we’ll take a cash refund at that point. 

I have one ocean cruise and one river cruise booked in 2021 and plan to take them if they are a go. If not, I will book substituent Crystal cruises. Looking to add one more 2021 cruise and at least 2 or 3 in 2022.

We're booked for August 2022, and just booked a BTB for Nov 2023.  Financially, we can't do both of those, but I look at the 2023 cruise as a hedge against 2022 happening (or at least happening in a fashion in which we are willing to participate.)

I am at day 128 waiting for a $34,000+  refund for 4 cabins on July 19, 2020 cruise. I have, only  a week ago, disputed the transaction with Chase and am awaiting a response from Chase.  So, as the saying goes, "Fool me once....etc."  I have just cancelled 3 cabins for the October 26, 2021 cruise NY to Amazon to Miami and as soon as I get the formal statement from Crystal that they recognize my cancellation and am owed $9000 in deposits, I will dispute this with Chase also.  Not gonna wait for 120++ days waiting for Crystal.

If cruises resume next year and the onboard experience seems like it would be pleasant, I will rebook sometime in 2021.  As I have stated in other threads, despite my extreme displeasure with the way Crystal is handling refunds, I really love the onboard experience, having been on 12 Crystal cruises.

Marc

Hi

1st time cruisers with Crystal have an cruise booked on 4 December 2022 on Serenity leaving from San Juan we are looking forward to the cruise , 1st time just booking the cruise only , contacted Crystal there are not doing any pre or post cruise stays but will do flights but will add an admin charge if deviating from just arriving on cruise date and departing on cruise date , we will work on finding accommodation etc and compare flight prices outwit Crystal Flights.  

Have a cruise  booked for  Feb 2021 with Celebrity from Melbourne but the cruise has not been cancelled yet by Celebrity which is annoying as looking at the evidence Australia won't be opening up until March 2021.

Love crusing but due to ongoing Covid situation it may be 2 years before things get back to normal .

You are not alone

We too have cruises booked for 2021 and 2022 as do a bunch of our friends.

We cancelled 2 segments of the 2021 World Cruise as I doubt that Crystal (or any other line) will be ready to sail in January.

I'm thinking April may be possible.

I wish I had less money tied up in deposits (since I have rolled over a few deposits) but I have learned not to obsess over things beyond my control.

2 hours ago, amoscotti said:

looking at the evidence Australia won't be opening up until March 2021.

I'm curious - What "evidence" is that?

I don't think anyone here in Australia would be in a position to venture an opinion on when Australia will reopen their borders or even allow unrestricted travel to other countries (without permits) of our citizens. As you may be aware Melbourne is the current hotspot for COVID in Australia and a declared "state of disaster" with a 6 week lockdown - so they're particularly uncertain as to the future