Future cruises with Crystal?

I just cancelled a September 2021  Crystal cruise on Symphony , after having submitted a dispute to my CC company in order to hopefully finally force a refund for a cancelled 2020 Crystal Cruise.

Crystal was my cruise choice, but I will travel with other lines untilI see evidence that they are solvent and care about their clientele

Quick question re future cruises with Crystal, or any other cruise line for that matter.

I saw a Youtube by a Canadian cruise agent.  He said that Italy will NOT allow anybody off the ship unless they are with an organized tour from the cruise line.  In other words, no wandering around on your own.  It goes further in that you have to stay within your bubble from the ship and there will be no free time on any tours.  NO leaving your bubble for a espresso.

If this comes to be it is a complete deal breaker for me.  I love nothing more than wandering streets, stopping at cafes, shopping where locals stop and going to and viewing museums and attractions on my schedule, not someone elses.  i never book a ship’s excursions.  I now see shorex pricing jumping if it is the only game in town.  Hopefully other countries will take a different approach.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, tipsygirl said:

I just cancelled a September 2021  Crystal cruise on Symphony , after having submitted a dispute to my CC company in order to hopefully finally force a refund for a cancelled 2020 Crystal Cruise.

Crystal was my cruise choice, but I will travel with other lines untilI see evidence that they are solvent and care about their clientele

Omg cancelled sept 2021!!! I'm booked( sorry Oct 2021 silversea) we had a crystal cruise cancelled sailing sept 2020 ( we cancelled in April before crystal did!!) & Had only paid deposit which we had transferred over to a April 2022 sailing so all fingers & toes crossed for that one !!!🚢 What other lines do you enjoy tipsygirl???

11 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Quick question re future cruises with Crystal, or any other cruise line for that matter.

I saw a Youtube by a Canadian cruise agent.  He said that Italy will NOT allow anybody off the ship unless they are with an organized tour from the cruise line.  In other words, no wandering around on your own.  It goes further in that you have to stay within your bubble from the ship and there will be no free time on any tours.  NO leaving your bubble for a espresso.

If this comes to be it is a complete deal breaker for me.  I love nothing more than wandering streets, stopping at cafes, shopping where locals stop and going to and viewing museums and attractions on my schedule, not someone elses.  i never book a ship’s excursions.  I now see shorex pricing jumping if it is the only game in town.  Hopefully other countries will take a different approach.  Time will tell.

I'm not sure what part of the world your from cruisr  but I'm afraid Europe is all over the place at the moment...one day France .Italy Greece all ok & then within 24 hours it's all change over here in the UK!!! 2020 I'm afraid is all no go !!! I'm so glass half full & looking forward to 2021 🙏🚢

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Are those with future cruises with Crystal still around? There is plenty of contributions on other threads on Crystals uncertain future. We are still there and continue to hold our bookings.

Ivi

hi travelberlin&cabinboy2020 yes I'm in although not untill April 2022!!! Cancelled sept 2020 & moved deposit over to that sailing  as having already booked for Oct 2021( silversea) I'm hoping that things will have got back to normal crusing as I have been enjoying since 1989!!! If it's not what I'm wanting it to be  no doubt I will have to consider very carefully if I still wish to cruise again!!! For me it's as it was  nothing in-between sorry 😢  hope that makes sence

8 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Are those with future cruises with Crystal still around? There is plenty of contributions on other threads on Crystals uncertain future. We are still there and continue to hold our bookings.

Ivi

We hold deposits on 2021 and 2022 voyages that have not yet been canceled by Crystal. Final payments are not due for several months. We will make our decision about the disposition of these deposits upon the due date of final payment(s) or the cancellation of the cruise(s), whichever event(s) come first.

Rob

51 minutes ago, ryndam said:

We hold deposits on 2021 and 2022 voyages that have not yet been canceled by Crystal. Final payments are not due for several months. We will make our decision about the disposition of these deposits upon the due date of final payment(s) or the cancellation of the cruise(s), whichever event(s) come first.

Rob

Didn't realize it was a competition!!! (Lol) here's to cruising sometime very soon 🚢

9 hours ago, travelberlin said:

We have deposits on river cruises for 2021 and 2022 that we plan to hold and see what unfolds.  Final payments are well into the future and we'll make an informed decision at that time.

I have booked for 2022 and 2023 but no deposit is required until sometime in October , so at the moment no harm in booking 

It is a long time from now, but it seems to me that popular cruise from San Fran to NYC a few years back was sold out  soon after  it was open for booking-and that was 2 years  from sailing!!  I am sorry I missed that cruise as it sounds like it was epic!:)

Edited by wearesiamese
10 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Ivi

I don't believe any cruise line is going under in the  way that many of us  cruisers care about-at least not me  I frankly don't care  who owns the company or how the back end / home office runs, unless it affects  my onboard experience. There will always be companies with bigger pockets and or groups of investors who will be interested in continuing these lines, even with the current situation as  is now. The cruising industry is toc popular and lucrative, and will be profitable for cruise lines in the long run.

There will be a vaccine ,eventually, and likely in late 2021, the way research and clinical trials are progressing,, but people need to learn that sometimes you need to experience delayed gratification , and and this is a good time to start!  For many of us, we can't always get what we want(quote the Rolling stones, when we want it.. and this is truly a 1st world  problem).We will be back to cruising, but have some patience and take this time an enjoy other things! I have started a Matcha business, and am studying Japanese (though not everyday},  so I can have an even better time in Japan (having been there 6 times and not speaking the language and only learning a few necessary phrases since I ha translation apps on my phone)..not to mention I should not expect the Japanese to speak English in their own country!

Edited by wearesiamese
32 minutes ago, wearesiamese said:

I have booked for 2022 and 2023 but no deposit is required until sometime in October , so at the moment no harm in booking 

It is a long time from now, but it seems to me that popular cruise from San Fran to NYC a few years back was sold out  soon after  it was open for booking-and that was 2 years  from sailing!!  I am sorry I missed that cruise as it sounds like it was epic!:)

One of the cruises we have booked is the Vancouver to New York cruise for 2022. It has a nice itinerary. Let’s hope 😊
Ivi

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

One of the cruises we have booked is the Vancouver to New York cruise for 2022. It has a nice itinerary. Let’s hope 😊
Ivi

darn it isn't right after  my cruise 😞

Edited by wearesiamese
  • 3 weeks later...

We are still holding to our bookings. Somehow it looks like at the moment, the best thing to do is to wait and hope that Crystal gets a good equity partner, good Covid-19 health procedures for start cruising again and enough passengers who are willing and able to accept those safety procedures.

Ivi

We are still booked with a HEFTY financial commitment since we kept rolling over down payments to future bookings.

In fact, we are planning a pre-cruise stay for a cruise next August.  I think by then we will be ok.

There is nothing I can do about the situation.  Going with the flow.

We're booked on an April 2021 river cruise. Crystal moved the final payment date back a few months (closer to the departure date) which we appreciate.  So we'll wait and see. Meanwhile we're thinking of alternate travel plans, just in case the river cruise doesn't  happen. 

On 8/22/2020 at 11:16 PM, travelberlin said:

Ivi

We had a booking on Serenity Jan 2021, and cancelled that one and going through the refund process with the credit card company, but I did keep our booking on Serenity for the following year in Jan 2022.  I think my quandry will be in April 2021 when early final payment (for the discount) will be due for that cruise....Guess I'll be waiting to hear if there will be any news about Crystal's standing will be by then....

We have no cruises booked with any cruise lines. We have received all our deposits back from cruise lines (thanks to the credit card companies) and other tour companies (National Geographic). From the airlines, we received credits which we have now used and even received vouchers from the travel insurance companies for future use. So it seems like we came out of this fairly good..

At the moment we have no plans to book any cruises as the uncertainty is just too great, but we have been traveling to places that allow US citizens to go to. Luckily we haven't even had to quarantine. If things do open up we would love to travel on cruises again, but I think we will continue to be cautious until we know for sure they will not quarantine the entire cruise ship. That was a huge mistake. 

We have found that most other countries do not have the harsh political response as we do here in the US. Merchants all wear masks, but if someone in the street is not, no one goes up to them and demands they put one on. They just move away to keep the social distancing they feel comfortable with.   Life is much calmer outside the US., at least that has been our experience.

I had a river cruise for December 2020 that Crystal canceled and I'm waiting for my refund through Visa dispute I had a Canadian cruise in September of 2021 on crystal serenity see which I canceled and I'm disputing my deposit with b o a visa.  I had a booking on crystal Symphony for Nov 2022 from Lisbon to Rome and it's fully paid and I'm hoping to take that trip.

I'm booked on Endeavor's Northeast Passage August 2021.Very concerned if the ship will be finished and if it will sail  (Covid).  Deposit made via CC Feb.2019.  Feeling very uncertain about this and a $20K loss in deposit since its nearly 2 years old and will not be honored by Chase because its "too old" like another deposit I have.  Are any others booked on this cruise concerned about it sailing??

Health protocols for future cruises published by cruise industry news:

„Crystal Cruises has introduced an expanded set of health and safety measures for its Crystal Clean+ protocols to include requirements for COVID-19 testing for guests and crew, mandatory travel insurance, in-port guidelines and more.

The new Crystal Clean + 3.0 protocols build on Crystal Clean+ 2.0, the initial set of health and safety procedures which the company released in July, according to a press release.

Crystal said its new Crystal Clean+ protocols go beyond Crystal’s already stringent practices to further safeguard guests’ and crews’ well-being.

Crystal Clean+ 3.0 guidelines feature noteworthy updates in the company’s pre-boarding and embarkation procedures, social distancing requirements, shore excursion policy, crew member standards and practices and more.

The new Crystal Clean + 3.0 protocols incorporate the current recommendations provided by Cruise Line International Association’s (CLIA) to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

As per Crystal Clean + 3.0, guests will now be required to complete a COVID-19 test prior to departure for their cruise and provide a printed copy of their negative result at check-in—failure to comply with this requirement will result in denial of boarding.

In addition, guests will take a second COVID-19 test upon arrival at the pier and must test negative prior to boarding.

Guests will be required to purchase travel insurance, which can be purchased via Crystal or a third party.

While o board, Crystal guests are asked to observe social distancing of at least six feet (two meters) of those outside of one’s travel party including dance partners, and as a result Crystal’s Ambassador Host dance program as well as Crystal’s Junior Activities programming and in-suite babysitting services will be suspended until further notice.

Guests will only be permitted to disembark the ship in port if participating in Crystal’s shoreside activities or excursions and shuttle buses into town will not be provided when in port; guests who do not comply with this requirement will not be permitted to re-board the ship.

All crew will be tested for COVID-19 prior to leaving their home location to join the ship and must receive a negative result; they also will take a COVID-19 test at embarkation, quarantine for seven days upon arrival, and take a test at the end of that seven-day period and receive a negative result, before beginning their duties. In addition, crew will be tested periodically during their rotations.“

Edited by travelberlin