Future cruises with Crystal?

8 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Health protocols for future cruises published by cruise news:

„Crystal Cruises has introduced an expanded set of health and safety measures for its Crystal Clean+ protocols to include requirements for COVID-19 testing for guests and crew, mandatory travel insurance, in-port guidelines and more.

The new Crystal Clean + 3.0 protocols build on Crystal Clean+ 2.0, the initial set of health and safety procedures which the company released in July, according to a press release.

We'll pass until there are less restrictive protocols. Cruising and international travel may not be on our agenda for a while. Hopefully the the cruise industry will survive.

Rob

Our next Crystal cruise is the 2022 World Cruise.  If these “protocols” are still in effect we will cancel!  Too sterile for us.  Why would we go on a 116 day cruise that is more restrictive than living at home.

we are currently on an  85 day road trip that is less expensive and far less restrictive than what is proposed. 

33 minutes ago, TER777 said:

I really want to cruise, but the 3.0 protocols, which are pretty comprehensive, make me question why I would ever pay to do so. 

One of the big negatives, logical though it may be, is the requirement that one can only leave ship in port via a Crystal shore excursion (always pricey).  That means no strolling about, no dropping in to a promising shop or bistro, no independent excursions, etc.

The Bistro loses its charm and utility, breakfast in Marketplace becomes a chore, and so on.  I once thought the masks policy was enough to keep me from sailing.  But the reality of 3.0 ends all hope.

Maybe 2022.....

Another killer for me is the mandatory trip insurance.  For a World cruise that would cost several thousand dollars.  I have cruised  for over 700 days without insurance (my decision so don’t flame me.). I do have medical coverage as well as emergency flight home coverage so this additional expense would be wasted in my opinion. I don’t worry about trip interruption insurance, 

I know that the Ambassador’s program doesn’t appeal to everyone but in my case it is very important, it Is one of the reasons we use Crystal as our primary cruise line.

We normally get off the ship in ports to walk for exercise, ships tours have limited appeal to us.  We would feel like prisoners on the cruise!  116 days of “at sea” experience wouldn’t be too bad but still not what we originally booked.

the good news is that our cruise is 15 months away and I am confident that we will be back to normal cruising by then.  That is another opinion and yours may be different.  If cruising isn’t back to normal By then Crystal May be out of business anyway.

25 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Another killer for me is the mandatory trip insurance.  For a World cruise that would cost several thousand dollars.  I have cruised  for over 700 days without insurance (my decision so don’t flame me.). I do have medical coverage as well as emergency flight home coverage so this additional expense would be wasted in my opinion. I don’t worry about trip interruption insurance,

I don't read that as trip interruption.  I think they just want to have everyone with medical coverage insurance.  Don't want the PR nightmare of someone, somehow, developing covid and having to be left behind in some backwater port.

No reason to require trip interruption as part of a "medical" protocol.

And, FWIW, I would wager that the protocol numbers will eventually reach double digits.

We are also on the 2022 world cruise and share lots of sentiments set forth above.  The 2022 world cruise could be sailing - if Crystal is still alive - with a pretty skinny passenger compliment if these rules remain in place.  The fares are substantial and limiting interactions with other people not in your party is a big negative (six foot distancing including dancing - HA).  One of the things we enjoy is meeting other people and breaking bread or having a beverage with them.  And if you don't take the Crystal tours which appear to be the only way to get off the ship, you are essentially quarantined on the ship in our view.  We are only on the 86 day itinerary but I don't think I want the fares they are charging to spend that many days on a ship without getting off and roaming around which is why we want to go on cruises in significant part - to see the wonders of the world.  We are not feeling good about having to see those wonders through Crystal's eyes as opposed to our own.

I know a number of solo single lady travelers who will not go if there are no Hosts.

I will never take a ship’s excursion (no matter the line) as I much prefer doing my own thing with a private car and driver or using public transportation or just walking around and exploring.  

I am not a fan of the Avenue but I don’t think it will be allowed (as it is relatively compact) and I am sure that will upset a lot of past guests.

For me the deal breaker is the shore excursions,  My DH and I enjoy spending our time with each other and always keep to ourselves and get a table for 2 always.  I do the same if I cruise solo so I could live with a lot of the restrictions but not the shore excursions.

2022 maybe?

Just booked Symphony 8 day Dakar to Lisbon April '21. Probably wishful thinking on my part, deposit is due in 30 days so we'll see how I feel then. Beside the point that things could be worse Covid-wise and that there may not even be a Crystal by then, I'm not turned off by the restrictions. I can live with them just to be on the ocean, on Symphony, with plenty of sea days. Just me going stir crazy without any travel plans.

We have nothing booked until next September on Endeavor (assuming it every leaves the yard), but if these protocols are still in place I suspect we will be cancelling. As I have said on other threads, we have no desire to sail on a hospital ship!

Getting a COVID test before leaving for the ship is essentially meaningless. According to our Public Health people, the incubation period is 5 to 7 days for most people, so a negative test proves nothing unless it is done the day before, and even then, the rapid test at the pier will also prove nothing other than the person is negative at that moment, and the rapid test will most likely not catch anyone pre-/asymptomatic.

7 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Getting a COVID test before leaving for the ship is essentially meaningless. According to our Public Health people, the incubation period is 5 to 7 days for most people, so a negative test proves nothing unless it is done the day before, and even then, the rapid test at the pier will also prove nothing other than the person is negative at that moment, and the rapid test will most likely not catch anyone pre-/asymptomatic.

I’m no expert but I think the reason for the home test is so that if you are positive, you don’t travel to the port and infect others.  Then a second test at the port (several days later) is just more insurance over the incubation period. It’s not perfect but it is better than just one test IMO. 

3 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

The Bistro loses its charm and utility, breakfast in Marketplace becomes a chore, and so on.  I once thought the masks policy was enough to keep me from sailing. 

They implemented these policies (except the masks) for the last ten days of the 2020 World Cruise, and while it was off-putting, it was not really that big a deal. Of course, there were only 200 of us on the ship at that point! It actually made you think about what you actually wanted and probably led to much less food waste from people self-serving far more than they would actually eat! Most probably out of embarrassment in asking for more!!

I’m currently booked for April 2021 on Symphony, which was booked with the FCC from our cancelled May 2020 cruise. I’m okay with the COVID test before leaving home & testing at the port as well as mask wearing while on board. However, the need to use a ship excursion may be a deal breaker. I’ve been doing some research on how to turn the trip into a land tour, using our pre and post hotels that are already booked and keep our existing flights, which are paid for - airline credits from cancelled flights this year. I’ll have to review our options with my mom, but I have a feeling that we may cancel the cruise and get in line for a refund. I’m hoping we can get a cash refund since we rolled our 2020 booking to 2021. I’ll have to have a chat with my travel agent as well. I was really looking forward to our cruise, but cruising may have to wait until 2022 at the earliest. I realize that things can change significantly by then, so I have a lot to think about. 

I see this protocols as temporary, as long as Coronavirus is still such a big problem. I find that Crystal is doing lots of efforts to start cruising and to survive. The measures mentioned are not only being put in place by Crystal but by almost all cruise lines. At this moment I do not see any other way of restarting cruising than to implement such protocols.

Cruise lines are not only introducing those protocols but they are also lowering their prices to probably attract cruisers. I would expect lower prices from Crystal too.

Our next booked cruise is in November 2021. If Crystal starts cruising in Europe, and I do not have to take a long flight to board the ship, and Crystal has good offers, I would gladly book another cruise with Crystal for next year under these protocols and I would apply and respect the rules. 

My reasons are several but just to mention some: first I love and miss the sea, second I feel safe in this Corona time with those protocols and third I want for Crystal to survive and I would support them until we can return to the old normality. 

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
14 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

As I read this, since I am a solo traveler, I would be required to eat all meals by myself. I can do that while at home. No thank you! Wonder when (actually if) things will ever get close to the good, old days?

Patty

I imagine that Crystal could host am ersten Abend a dinner for solo cruisers. This is normally done on Azamara. People can choose to share tables with other solos afterwards. If everybody tests negative after some days, I could imagine that one can also dine with couples who one knows from previous cruises.

I am trying to find ways. Maybe other people have other ideas 💡 We have to live with this virus. Let’s do not give up and renounce to those things that we love to do. Maybe next year it will not be ideal, but maybe if we compromise we can still enjoy cruising under those circumstances. And maybe more important, the cruise line we have learned to like, will survive.

Ivi

10 minutes ago, bitob said:

I find this all disheartening in the extreme.

I think cruising may be dead for a long time and cruising as we have known it and loved it may not return in my lifetime.

Very sad.

Hi dear bitob.. yes it's all very very sad and it's still all feeling so surreal..

But I agree with several posts with ref to how the new cruise experience would be.if its not what we have enjoyed through the years then I'm out!!.I posted sometime ago that unless the cruise I have booked for would not be anything like the experience I look forward to then I would not be interested.. I know so many people staff etc it's there lively hood and that part does upset me .

So if you book a Crystal excursion could it include walking around a historic site or will you be restricted to staying on a bus.  Gee there is that historic site but we can't visit it.

I can understand the need but really doesn't make cruising a great thing. 

35 minutes ago, ctjon said:

So if you book a Crystal excursion could it include walking around a historic site or will you be restricted to staying on a bus.  Gee there is that historic site but we can't visit it.

I can understand the need but really doesn't make cruising a great thing. 

I have been following how they are doing this on MSC cruises, and it appears that you can walk around but always with the guide. You can book for example walking tours and it would not be different than the ones we are used to. The guide will explain and accompany the group until the end of the tour.
What is not going to happen is to separate from the group during the tour or to want to stay longer in town and comeback on your own.

Ivi

There was no way cruising could start back during the time of Covid with anything less than these protocols. A protective bubble (after double testing)  keeps the passengers, crew and port cities safe. It’s probably the only way the port cities would allow cruise ships back in.