Future cruises with Crystal?

23 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Another thought!  

What  about the people that have tested positive for the Coronavirus antibodies or have received the vaccine (assuming we a have one?). Will they have to go through all of these protocols?  

Yes for sure to the vaccine as no vaccine has ever been 100% effective and this one won't be either.

Patty

4 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Yes for sure to the vaccine as no vaccine has ever been 100% effective and this one won't be either.

Patty

If you have been given the vaccine and as a result you have the antibodies wouldn’t that qualify?

I think that there will necessarily be a period of transition from no cruising at all to cruising substantially like we did before. This will take time, nobody knows how long. The protocols, as well as the overall “cruising in the age of Covid” experience itself, will evolve. 

The choice about what level of risk each of us is able or willing to accept to be part of this transition period is a deeply personal one and depends on many factors. For example, despite the current Covid spikes in Europe people there have been leading a somewhat more “normal” life in the past few months and appear to be more open to the risks involved in cruising. 

I do believe that if cruising does not resume in some way fairly quickly some lines will simply not survive. 

51 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

If you have been given the vaccine and as a result you have the antibodies wouldn’t that qualify?

Probably not in the early stages as no one knows how effective a vaccine might be, and the presence of antibodies proves nothing more than you have been exposed. Again no one knows if you can get COVID more than once.

There is also a possibility that if you are vaccinated (or recovered), that you can get the virus but be asymptomatic or only very mildly symptomatic.  In that case, you would probably still be at risk for spreading the disease to others without that protection.  The bottom line is that we will not know for some time, even after FDA approval, exactly how effective the vaccine will really be.

Besides, even testing for the antibodies will not tell you about the level of your T-cell immunity, if any.  It is not a simple question.

I think there are many questions in relation to the protocols and those will have to be answered in time. 
The issue with the a priori Covid Tests that have to be provided at checking might prove difficult because of the high demand that those tests have at the moment. It is not easy to receive the results of the test within 72 hours. It takes longer sometimes to get the results and I do not think that because somebody wants to cruise, he/she will be considered priority. Besides this the cost of the test is not something to forget. 

Most restrictive is from my point of view, the requirement of a travel insurance. I am not sure if cruise lines mean health insurance only or they want for people to have a trip insurance also. Which insurance company will be willing to insure against the likelihood of trip interruption due to COVID-19? I think cruise lines will need to think again about the purpose of this requirement.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

Crystal will need to clarify what they mean by insurance, but my interpretation of the protocol is that they do not want any financial responsibility for refunding a cruise or quarantining you somewhere or making adjustments to your flights if you arrive at the dock and test positive. 

With an abundance of leisure time available these days, I wander into the addictive realms of YouTube videos more frequently than I have in the past. This video, although nearly a month old now, is the poster's hypothesis (with some nice filmed footage) of the state of Dream Cruise's newbuild in the shipyard in Germany. Star Cruises and Crystal Cruises make short cameo appearances in this 6 minute video, for those that may find it of interest.

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhHW-33uQAk

I recently took four domestic flights.   Each flight was full, and was a mixture of families, friends, and business types. 

Masks were required. No social distancing was required as people walked down the plane's aisle, stowed their carry-ons, and took their seat.  

It was strange to see, considering cruising in under a no-sail order. I am never in that of close contact with a anyone on  cruise, especially for the same duration as a two to three hour flight.  

I took 4 domestic flights on United in the later part of August.  All flight were loaded by row number and started from the back.  All were full flights.  Masks were required and we were able to stay away from most folks as the airports weren’t that busy...two of the airports were very large airports.  Luckily, none of the flights were over 2 and one half hours and we were some of the last folks on as we sat in the front of the plane.

overall, the experience was better than I anticipated.  However, I have no planes to fly anywhere in the near future.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

Nice find by Rob at post 108 above.  One wonders why Dream needs a new 9,500 passenger ship given that they have two pretty new ones built in 2016 and 2017 (Genting Dream and World Dream) which each carry a bit over 3,300 passengers and which are now laid up.  And - pure speculation here so please take it as such - the German government is probably going to seek assurances that work on the ship will be continued before giving any government guarantees to the shipyard as it is likely that the government program is all about keeping the economy going and that means employment most likely.  That should be interesting as if I recall correctly the target date for some decision on the German government program was the end of September.  Obviously that could slip a bit.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:29 AM, nancygp said:

the Norway cruise, London to Copenhagen.  It will be our third Norway cruise.  We have bookings as well for 2022 and will wait on anything else for the time being.

nancy

I'll be on that cruise too!!   Can't wait

7 hours ago, travelberlin said:

We’ve had rapid antigen tests available where I live (Florida) since June. 

1 hour ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

We’ve had rapid antigen tests available where I live (Florida) since June. 

Apparently many countries have had them , only they had the reputation of not being reliable. From the article: 

“There are rapid antigen tests available for sale online, but these are the first to meet the WHO’s specifications and some tests have fallen short. Spain had to send back two batches of rapid tests it bought from unlicensed companies in China in March, because they were said to be faulty.”

Ivi

• 4 weeks later...

We are still holding to our bookings. On the threads of other cruise lines we see that cruisers are booking again. I wonder if some people have made new bookings with Crystal.

It is very depressing to come to the Crystal board and mainly see complaints. The regulars who were long time guests from Crystal and gave good advices have stopped posting. No one seems to have anything positive to say.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
34 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

It is very depressing to come to the Crystal board and mainly see complaints. The regulars who were long time guests from Crystal and gave good advices have stopped posting. No one seems to have anything positive to say.

The complainers have won.  Post something positive and the beat-down starts.  So why post.

Especially ironic are how the people who say "I'll never cruise Crystal again" somehow find delight in sticking around, perhaps just to bash and bash.  Guess they figure that by continuing to kvetch, they will bring everyone over to their side.  Folks won't book Crystal, the line will fold, and they can derive a pleasure from "Crystal got what it deserved".

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

We are still holding to our bookings. On the threads of other cruise lines we see that cruisers are booking again. I wonder if some people have made new bookings with Crystal.

Ivi

Ivi, 

Right now we are in a unique situation since ships are not sailing.  If they were we'd have lots of activity on the board and lots of positive things to read about.

With no sailings and people waiting for refunds that is the focus of some of the threads along with other items related to COVID-19 from protocols to when the ships will sail again.

We will get through all of this.   We might go through an "interim" norm as we transition to a time where we can sail again.  That time might include a lot of protocols but hopefully in-time there will be less and less protocols.  I suspect thought that even if COVID-19 went away with one puff that we would still see some protocols as some of them are good to minimize the spread of other viruses.

Interestingly enough on the Face Book Crystal Society page there is more of a balance with several posts about previous cruises with Crystal and all of the memories made.  Maybe we need some of that here too.

I still think the future is bright.  However, to make it bright there is a lot to be done to get through this pandemic.

Stay well and stay healthy.  

Keith

On 9/26/2020 at 8:21 AM, Cruise-y said:

Crystal will need to clarify what they mean by insurance, but my interpretation of the protocol is that they do not want any financial responsibility for refunding a cruise or quarantining you somewhere or making adjustments to your flights if you arrive at the dock and test positive. 

Cruise-y, this very important item will in itself stop me from cruising, along with many other reasons.

I do not trust insurance companies period, they do their very best to avoid payment. This industry will enjoy, love and thrive on the paranoia of travellers who will pay big $ to purchase covid insurance.

There are other ways to travel that do not have the risk and inconvenience of cruising.

We are looking forward to cruising again!!!  

We have a 27 day cruise booked in March, a river cruise in October and a transatlantic in November (all 2021).  We are also booked on the 2022 world cruise.  Obviously theses cruises may not happen but if they sail we will be on them.  We are also looking to book a Baltic cruise in the summer.

We have spent the last five months traveling in the US having a great time.  We have traveled by car, planes, buses and we have eaten in restaurants more than ever. We have stayed in hotels, condos and AiirBNB homes.   We are not giving up our freedom to the fear of getting a disease.  I realize this attitude will not be acceptable to many on these boards and you can let me have all of your negative thoughts.  It isn’t going to change our thinking.  

Ivi,

we still have several crystal cruises booked for 2021 and 2022.  We’ve sailed crystal exclusively since 2004 as it works so well for us.  We’d love to get back to cruising and we’ll see how things pan out the next 6 to 9 months.   We really miss sailing on crystal.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

Even in "normal" times, assuming we remember those, on several forums on which I participate it is very normal for complaints to out score complements.   People want to voice their frustrations and forums allow that.  People usually don't bother to talk about expected greatness.

When we feel it is safe to cruise again there is no doubt in my mind it will be on a Crystal vessel