Future cruises with Crystal?

7 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

I do not trust insurance companies period, they do their very best to avoid payment. This industry will enjoy, love and thrive on the paranoia of travellers who will pay big $ to purchase covid insurance.

It has always been my opinion that insurance policies, especially travel insurance policies, are carefully written so that they do not cover the things that are actually most likely to happen.  Something like unexpectedly testing positive for COVID (even a false positive) when they test the passengers at the pier before boarding, for example.  Or cancelling a cruise because you don't want to risk getting on a plague ship, etc.  And certainly it would not be covered to cancel because you don't like the infection control protocols that are announced after it is too late to cancel without penalty.

Interestingly, TripInsuranceStore.com just sent out a newsletter confirming my first example by saying:

"There are no Trip Cancellation plans that will cover you if you have to cancel your trip at the last-minute due to a positive COVID test.

"If you got the Coronavirus and saw your doctor in person before you left on your trip and he or she told you that you were too sick to travel, you would be covered for a Trip Cancellation the same as any other illness or injury.

The only plan you can get that will cover you if you have to cancel your trip for a not-covered reason like a positive Covid test result is one with the Cancel For Any Reason coverage.

"However, one drawback to the Cancel For Any Reason coverage is that you have to cancel your trip not less than three calendar days before you leave on your trip. Due to this three day rule, a last-minute positive Covid test result is not covered with the Cancel For Any Reason."

Edited by SusieQft
4 hours ago, SusieQft said:

It has always been my opinion that insurance policies, especially travel insurance policies, are carefully written so that they do not cover the things that are actually most likely to happen.  Something like unexpectedly testing positive for COVID (even a false positive) when they test the passengers at the pier before boarding, for example.  Or cancelling a cruise because you don't want to risk getting on a plague ship, etc.  And certainly it would not be covered to cancel because you don't like the infection control protocols that are announced after it is too late to cancel without penalty.

Interestingly, TripInsuranceStore.com just sent out a newsletter confirming my first example by saying:

"There are no Trip Cancellation plans that will cover you if you have to cancel your trip at the last-minute due to a positive COVID test.

"If you got the Coronavirus and saw your doctor in person before you left on your trip and he or she told you that you were too sick to travel, you would be covered for a Trip Cancellation the same as any other illness or injury.

The only plan you can get that will cover you if you have to cancel your trip for a not-covered reason like a positive Covid test result is one with the Cancel For Any Reason coverage.

"However, one drawback to the Cancel For Any Reason coverage is that you have to cancel your trip not less than three calendar days before you leave on your trip. Due to this three day rule, a last-minute positive Covid test result is not covered with the Cancel For Any Reason."

SusieQft - Well done.

You are a discerning consumer and putting yourself first. Super.

Thank you for your suspicious mind, your enquiring as to the details. 

Compliments to you.

Believe nothing and question everything.

I think at this point most insurance is worthless with respect to COVID.

We still take insurance through our 2 Sapphire Reserve cards -- up to 40K total at no cost -- but we know that we need to be prepared to lose our money if the unexpected happens. If our trip is over 40K we do not insure the balance.

These are very personal choices.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:57 PM, SusieQft said:

Hi SusieQft,

I am going to write another Blog post on ths same subject. May I use all or part of your comment in it?

If so, do you want me to attribute it to you, specifically as "SusieQft on CruiseCritic.com" or just say something like "this is from CruiseCritic.com".

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
5 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

I am going to write another Blog post on ths same subject. May I use all or part of your comment in it?

Hi Steve. 

That would be fine.  I would love it if you could convince me that my cynicism is unfounded.  I will reply separately by email.

16 hours ago, HPfoodie said:

Question for U.K. people. If our cruise is cancelled and we elect FCC do we have to use it with the same travel agent? Thank you. 

My understanding, although I am not 100% certain, is that the FCC sits with your Crystal UK account and not the agency. The very helpful Crystal UK office should be able to confirm.

With all the cancelations Crystal's calculation of the amount of FCC may take some time. My January 5, 2021 cruise was cancelled and yesterday my TA called Crystal to book a October, 2021 cruise using the FCC as partial payment. He was told that the FCC might not be available until November 9th or 10th of this year, but were willing to place a "hold" on the cabin until they know the amount of the FCC. I think that this is very fair since they are overwhelmed at this point.

Well, so much for my (unrealistic) optimism about April. Crystal sent cancellation notice for Symphony's Dakar to Lisbon yesterday (still showing on the website as "call for availability").

And things are only going from bad to worse all over 😢

28 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

Well, so much for my (unrealistic) optimism about April. Crystal sent cancellation notice for Symphony's Dakar to Lisbon yesterday (still showing on the website as "call for availability").

In most countries, Spring is like one of those seasons when there are lots of viruses pop up. Moreover, its a period before summer when there may be many changes in terms of navigation. I would be on a watch out 

While I still think it’s much better for Crystal to be cautious and mindful about starting back up (to avoid stutter steps), I agree it is beginning to get worrisome to  see cancellations so far out - but only from the standpoint of their future viability. 

Because their appeal is their ever-changing variety of venues, they really can’t plan any itineraries. There are just too many uncertainties with all the closed ports. The question is....how long can they hold on? I hope they can make it to summer when maybe we’ll see vaccines working, if we’re lucky. And maybe some open ports. 

I would consider it reckless for Crystal to pick some repeat itinerary in the Caribe (that is also seeing increased cases) or even along the US coasts. There are still many associated risks. Can you imagine what an onboard, highly publicized outbreak would do to them? After all their start-up costs? Then it really would be curtains. 

50 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

I noticed that they did not cancel the Serenity April 8th, Singapore to Dubai  cruise. Perhaps they will start back to cruising with only one ship.  I am only speculating about this but it does make sense to go with only one ship at first.

1 hour ago, claudiaYVR said:

This was cancelled all along as it was a sub segment of the Capetown to Lisbon cruise. It was just a processing error that it was not included with all the others in the initial announcement earlier this week. 

Symphony is now scheduled to restart April 13 in Lisbon. 

Of course right now, U.S. citizens are not allowed in Portugal for non-essential (tourist) travel. That could be lifted by April, and I certainly hope it is, but residents in many Portugal municipalities are in a new lock-down that just started October 23.

Last April, most thought this might be kinda over by now and many, including me, were tentatively planning Fall cruises. We seem to have made zero progress in that direction. 

I'm not trying to be negative at all.... I'm trying to get overseas myself to see my kids so I'm closely watching. I don't even care about cruising and vacationing on the way there any more, like I planned last April, I just want to see them.

Even if a vaccine is released, say in January, I can't see European ports opening to the U.S. until it's been rolled out to a majority and numbers are consistently dropping. That's bound to take months.

Edited by Cruise-y

There are so many unknowns so we all have to recognize the schedule will be in a flux until we get this pandemic under control.  I am sure they have targets when they want to start up but so much is out of their control.  For example, in the USA if we don't get new infections under control we will all be in the same "boat" for months to come with most countries not allowing us to enter their country period or if they do with a long quarantine.  Just this week we had our highest number of new infections since the start of this virus and with 100,000 more projected to occur daily things will get worse.  The next couple of months are forecasted to be dark.

Putting aside a vaccine as some countries have done the amount of new cases could be dramatically reduced from the current record levels making more things possible.  

The reality is start dates are likely moving targets and a certain amount of time is required to finalize a cruise.  For example, if the virus magically disappeared you couldn't begin operations for sixty to ninety days.  

We can all hope things get back to normal sooner rather than later. We have cruises booked for mid-Summer of 2021 but as much as we hope they happen nothing is certain so if we are in a good position where it is possible great but we realize nothing is certain right now other than if we continue down the current path we will have record deaths and record infection in the USA and in those countries that are not taking action to curb the virus and we won't be cruising for quite awhile.

As a leading scientist says we probably won't be back to a " true normal" until later in 2022 but that doesn't prevent us from taking lots of baby steps to get to an "interim normal" which allows things like cruising with lots of protocols in place.

A lot of this is in the hands of the people around the world and their respective governments.

Keith