We buy the yearly Geo blue medical insurance policy. It covers pre existing conditions and is not expensive. We are also of medicarexage so medical and evacuation are important for us

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

Stupid me.  I see what I did wrong.  Thanks!

Don’t feel bad. I’ve done the same thing. The Forum Jump can be a little awkward.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:25 PM, Tedferg said:

jimdee3636, great idea I did not know you could do that! For many years we did not take extra insurance, just relied on what credit card gave. Then we bought Allianz for a couple of cruises. As we progressed in age Allianz, though providing better coverage became expensive. So we take Princess insurance, adequate for us and provides Cancel for Any Reason.

We get the Princess Platinum insurance because it has the "cancel for any reason" coverage.  The medical is insufficient if you have something serious crop up, so we get GeoBlue annual medical insurance since we're on Medicare which does not cover us outside the country. 

7 hours ago, riffatsea said:

We buy the yearly Geo blue medical insurance policy. It covers pre existing conditions and is not expensive. We are also of medicarexage so medical and evacuation are important for us

It appears to have some age component in it.

When I asked for a quote for a single trip for two people aged 55 and then again with our actual age, our actual age quote was $626 higher.

We have used Princess Platinum insurance since we started cruising (slightly different name back then).   No problem with pre-existing conditions, and between it and our primary insurance it has covered every shipboard malady we've had @ 100%.   As mentioned it does have cancel for any reason coverage. 

When researching travel insurance be sure to check if it covers you based on the state you live in.  Living in Texas we have found that some popular trip insurance plans do not cover us (Texas has really weird regulations about insurance).

11 minutes ago, Times Prince said:

We have used Princess Platinum insurance since we started cruising (slightly different name back then).   No problem with pre-existing conditions, and between it and our primary insurance it has covered every shipboard malady we've had @ 100%.   As mentioned it does have cancel for any reason coverage. 

It is not onboard treatment that most people are worried about. It is when you have a medical problem that requires leaving the cruise in a foreign country and having to pay for hospital & provider charges there as well as possibly needing transport to a more appropriate medical facility or even to a hospital near your home.

17 minutes ago, Times Prince said:

When researching travel insurance be sure to check if it covers you based on the state you live in.  Living in Texas we have found that some popular trip insurance plans do not cover us (Texas has really weird regulations about insurance).

Princess Platinum is like  one of the best deals insurance you can find. I mean at least you can find a very reliable information in regard of its coverage on the internet. Sometime you get offered insurance and no one can explain to you what is included in it. Below is the link where all the reliable information about it can be found. Maybe it will be of help

https://www.aardy.com/blog/princess-cruise-travel-insurance/

8 hours ago, caribill said:

It appears to have some age component in it.

When I asked for a quote for a single trip for two people aged 55 and then again with our actual age, our actual age quote was $626 higher.

Yes,there is an age component. We have not used the single trip plan,only the yearly one. I think last year we paid around$300 which for me was a reasonable price. We are in our 70s. 

On 8/7/2020 at 2:24 PM, MudderBear said:

Asking not because of Covid, but just in general.  Is it better to buy insurance for your cruise through the cruise line when booking or making final payment, or perhaps is it a better deal to go with Allianz or AIG or someone else?  Thanks for your thoughts.

I do prefer to get it through he cruise line (it's still a 3rd party btw).  The filing process is more streamlined and if you get your air with the cruise line as well as the add ons (shore X and spa too) gets taken care of too.  Also, much simpler if you get sick on back and need to be airlifted off the ship or island, they have it all on file.  Cost wise pretty similar, filing wise, much simplier.

45 minutes ago, sunviking82 said:

I do prefer to get it through he cruise line (it's still a 3rd party btw).  The filing process is more streamlined and if you get your air with the cruise line as well as the add ons (shore X and spa too) gets taken care of too.  Also, much simpler if you get sick on back and need to be airlifted off the ship or island, they have it all on file.  Cost wise pretty similar, filing wise, much simplier.

I’m not sure what you mean by “simpler because they have it all on file.”  It is my understanding that any cost for on board treatment is charged to your account to be paid before you disembark.  You must collect all the necessary documentation and file for reimbursement.

If you have to be air lifted off the ship, that is done by the Coast Guard or military equivalent that has the appropriate training and equipment. No charge. If you have to be flown home, most likely you will go on a commercial flight once you are well enough to travel. Once again hospital and transportation are paid by you with reimbursement after filing a claim. If you have to have an air ambulance, that is another matter. I’m sure the insurance company will help arrange that because their doctors have to approve it, but they do not necessarily pay for any of it up front. They may guarantee or even advance funds in some cases, but don’t assume that travel insurance works like your health insurance at home. It doesn’t.

Maybe you mean it is simpler because the same company is covering all aspects of your travel - cruise, air, add-on - but that is true of any other third-party insurance, isn’t it?

Princess Insurance is secondary coverage. Need to file first with your regular insurance. Also, should you travel early to your cruise etc. Any problems at a hotel, accidents pre-cruise are not covered. Princess insurance only covers those items purchased directly from Princess. Go early or stay later, it is on your dime.

7 minutes ago, kjg46 said:

Princess Insurance is secondary coverage. Need to file first with your regular insurance. Also, should you travel early to your cruise etc. Any problems at a hotel, accidents pre-cruise are not covered. Princess insurance only covers those items purchased directly from Princess. Go early or stay later, it is on your dime.

If I remember correctly, you may be covered for medical a day or two before and after the cruise. It has been several years since I inquired, so maybe things have changed, but you are correct. Princess does not cover anything that you book on your own such as air, hotels, or independent shore excursions.

And indeed, secondary insurance requires two sets of claims. Primary must be settled first even if they don’t pay anything, for instance Medicare for out of country. Then you file with Princess insurance for the balance. I don’t see how having Princess makes filing easier as an earlier post suggests.

We've never used any cruise lines insurance, as it does not offer the features we really want for Travel Insurance. In order of importance our travel insurance needs are: 

1) Medical Costs arising from injury/illness during the trip. 

2) Medical evacuation. 

3) Trip Delay reimbursement 

4) Cancellation after final payment.  

Financial insolvency has never been a concern, at least till now, as we never considered that any of the big cruise lines would go under before our trip. 

We also prefer for #1 that it be the primary insurance, so we don't have to run it through our normal insurance (and have it denied or paid as out-of-network) before we would have to submit it to them. 

While we have never had to use it as yet, its one of those situation where we would want to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. 

As we are reaching retirement age, its going to be time to look into a yearly type policy for our medical/evacuation and then figure out what the best insurance for cancellation would be. 

Edited by drowelf

I have an annual medical plan "SafeTrip Travel Medical" with 1M in repatriation and evacuation but right now it looks like they aren't selling new policies because of CV-19. I use the Chase Sapphire credit card travel insurance for trip insurance.

A-

19 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I have an annual medical plan "SafeTrip Travel Medical" with 1M in repatriation and evacuation but right now it looks like they aren't selling new policies because of CV-19. I use the Chase Sapphire credit card travel insurance for trip insurance.

A-

That works well unless/until pre-existing conditions are a concern. My guess is that more people have something that could be considered pre-existing than realize it. Anyone who takes a prescription drug on a regular basis falls into that category. If there is a change in that prescription during the look-back period that later causes the condition to become unstable and results in cancellation, the claim will be denied. That is the case with a comprehensive travel policy that includes cancellation as well as medical.  As far as I know, credit card policies don’t cover pre-existing except perhaps the premium cards with high dollar annual fees.

On 8/10/2020 at 1:25 AM, Roger88 said:

Princess Platinum is like  one of the best deals insurance you can find. I mean at least you can find a very reliable information in regard of its coverage on the internet. Sometime you get offered insurance and no one can explain to you what is included in it. Below is the link where all the reliable information about it can be found. Maybe it will be of help

https://www.aardy.com/blog/princess-cruise-travel-insurance/

I think it is one of the worst deals out there if you need it for medical coverage.

33 minutes ago, Babr said:

That works well unless/until pre-existing conditions are a concern. My guess is that more people have something that could be considered pre-existing than realize it. Anyone who takes a prescription drug on a regular basis falls into that category. If there is a change in that prescription during the look-back period that later causes the condition to become unstable and results in cancellation, the claim will be denied. That is the case with a comprehensive travel policy that includes cancellation as well as medical.  As far as I know, credit card policies don’t cover pre-existing except perhaps the premium cards with high dollar annual fees.

I use the credit card for the travel only part.

The medical policy has a 180 day look back for pre-existing conditions, doesn't apply to adjustments  in dosage. I have multiple pre-exsting conditions controlled by medications, some for close to 55 years, but my med dosages are stable.

The big ticket item medical evacuation and repatriation is still covered and not subject to pre-existing conditions.

So yes if one is older or has lots of changes then the princess plan is better except its medical limitations are pretty low for repatriation and evacuation. Its just a pricey plan.

11. due to a Pre-Existing Condition, as defined in the Policy. The Pre-Existing Condition Limitation does not apply to the Emergency Medical Evacuation, Medical Repatriation or return of remains coverage;

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION:
The Company will not pay for any expense as a result of any illness, disease, or other condition during the 180-day period immediately prior to Your
Annual Insurance Effective Date for which You, or Your Traveling Companion, or Family Member: 1) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment for a condition which first manifested itself, worsened or became acute or had symptoms which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; or 2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item (2) of this Exclusion does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 180-day period before coverage is effective under this
Policy. 
This Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion will be reapplied at the beginning of each renewal of the Annual Insurance Policy.

47 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Well, I had trouble quoting the desired passage, so let me just say this.

Look again at Item 2, especially the part about “remains treated and controlled without any adjustment or change in the prescription throughout the 180 period before coverage is effective.”  That means if you had any change in your medications for the nearly 6 months before you bought the policy (effective date), the policy would not pay for illness that arises from that change. If the condition becomes unstable during the life of the policy as a result, it is not covered. Any other illness, of course is covered, just not the complications of the pre-existing condition brought on by a change in medication even if it is just a dosage adjustment.

Edited by Babr

I want to thank everyone who is posting on this forum.  I have learned a lot about trip insurance; and will now have more knowledge when looking for trip insurance in the future.  Cheers

Depends on what you are trying to insure.  We are seniors, so only want to have some health insurance when traveling way from home or outside USA.  We also want to have insurance for emergency evacuation which is very expensive.  We are not trying to insure our trip expenses or have cancellation insurance, figure we can cancel up to roughly 2 months in advance of a trip with a cruise line with no loss.    We have found buying an annual business travelers insurance with Travel Guard meets our need.  It costs us $518 for two people, covers us anywhere in the world and is good for one year, up to the value of the the coverage.  Never had to use, which is a good thing but at 73 and 88; feel it is good to have some health and emergency evacuation coverage.  This insurance can be ordered on line up to a few days before traveling. 

30 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Depends on what you are trying to insure.  We are seniors, so only want to have some health insurance when traveling way from home or outside USA.  We also want to have insurance for emergency evacuation which is very expensive.  We are not trying to insure our trip expenses or have cancellation insurance, figure we can cancel up to roughly 2 months in advance of a trip with a cruise line with no loss.    We have found buying an annual business travelers insurance with Travel Guard meets our need.  It costs us $518 for two people, covers us anywhere in the world and is good for one year, up to the value of the the coverage.  Never had to use, which is a good thing but at 73 and 88; feel it is good to have some health and emergency evacuation coverage.  This insurance can be ordered on line up to a few days before traveling. 

Cancelling before final payment is easy as long as you know there is a problem that would prevent you from traveling.  Cancellation coverage protects you from emergencies that come up after final payment. Many people are perfectly comfortable accepting that risk, but I think it depends on how much money is at stake and whether one is comfortable losing it.

28 minutes ago, Babr said:

Cancelling before final payment is easy as long as you know there is a problem that would prevent you from traveling.  Cancellation coverage protects you from emergencies that come up after final payment. Many people are perfectly comfortable accepting that risk, but I think it depends on how much money is at stake and whether one is comfortable losing it.

yes, thanks for clarifying, we always assumed and still do we are self insuring our traveling costs.  Wasn't til about 5 years ago we took out any insurance.   Now that we are 73 and 88, in good health all we need is health and emergency evacuation.  What ever we have paid in travel costs have already been paid.  Luckily in 30+ years of travel we have saved a lot of money on travel insurance that we never needed.  

On 8/7/2020 at 5:24 PM, MudderBear said:

Asking not because of Covid, but just in general.  Is it better to buy insurance for your cruise through the cruise line when booking or making final payment, or perhaps is it a better deal to go with Allianz or AIG or someone else?  Thanks for your thoughts.

I personally use the cruise companies insurance along with medijet transit for emergencies to get me back to the states.