19 hours ago, Babr said:

Well, I had trouble quoting the desired passage, so let me just say this.

Look again at Item 2, especially the part about “remains treated and controlled without any adjustment or change in the prescription throughout the 180 period before coverage is effective.”  That means if you had any change in your medications for the nearly 6 months before you bought the policy (effective date), the policy would not pay for illness that arises from that change. If the condition becomes unstable during the life of the policy as a result, it is not covered. Any other illness, of course is covered, just not the complications of the pre-existing condition brought on by a change in medication even if it is just a dosage adjustment.

Yes I understand that I am on 5 meds, I haven't had a dosage change in about 10 years on one of them, the others have never changed going back as far as 55 years so I was comfortable with that when I signed up.

My concern is not the trip itself or my current condition, my concern is something else far away that gets expensive to get back to the states. My medical travel policy is secondary to my primary policy which is with the same company.

14 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Yes I understand that I am on 5 meds, I haven't had a dosage change in about 10 years on one of them, the others have never changed going back as far as 55 years so I was comfortable with that when I signed up.

My concern is not the trip itself or my current condition, my concern is something else far away that gets expensive to get back to the states. My medical travel policy is secondary to my primary policy which is with the same company.

You are fortunate to have such easily managed conditions. I just thought there was some misunderstanding when you said your policy did not apply to changes in medication. Apparently it does.

12 hours ago, spookyfudge said:

I personally use the cruise companies insurance along with medijet transit for emergencies to get me back to the states.

We used Medjet until we reached the age where they tripled the rates.

On 8/11/2020 at 3:36 PM, Babr said:

If I remember correctly, you may be covered for medical a day or two before and after the cruise. It has been several years since I inquired, so maybe things have changed, but you are correct. Princess does not cover anything that you book on your own such as air, hotels, or independent shore excursions.

And indeed, secondary insurance requires two sets of claims. Primary must be settled first even if they don’t pay anything, for instance Medicare for out of country. Then you file with Princess insurance for the balance. I don’t see how having Princess makes filing easier as an earlier post suggests.

Yes, Princess insurance is secondary coverage.   With a Medicare Advantage coverage as the primary insurance, the doctor bill for onboard medical is covered at the usual rates.  However Plan D prescription coverage does not pay for medications prescribed and taken whilst out of the USA.  For those we get the denial and then submit to the Princess Insurance carrier.  The biggest hassle we've had is for primary insurance wanting US ICDA procedure codes which are not on the bill received onboard from Princess.  The longest we've taken for the onboard medical claims to be finally settled was about 6 months, 5 of which was our primary insurance (pre-retirement) being idiots saying "we've already processed that claim" when they hadn't.

Thank God we have not had to be airlifted or hospitalized interrupting a cruise, so I can't comment from personal experience on that type of coverage.

On 8/10/2020 at 12:22 AM, caribill said:

It appears to have some age component in it.

When I asked for a quote for a single trip for two people aged 55 and then again with our actual age, our actual age quote was $626 higher.

Hi caribill,

Geo Blue has two plans: the Voyager is for a single trip and the Trekker is an annual plan that covers a maximum trip length of 70 days. If you have along trip, the Voyager tends to be more expensive than the Trekker.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
3 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi caribill,

Geo Blue has two plans: the Voyager is for a single trip and the Trekker is an annual plan that covers a maximum trip length of 70 days. If you have along trip, the Voyager tends to be more expensive than the Trekker.

Steve Dasseos

I had priced a 16 day trip, both giving my age and again at age 55. I did noit check out the Trekker.

Tried the GEO Blue website and the price was 3 times what I would pay Allianz for the same trip! 

Any RVers out there. You can join FMCA and get Medivac coverage free with your membership. I had to use it 3 years ago when I was hospitalized in Puerto Rico when cruising. They were great. A nurse picked us up in a limo and took care of all our baggage and fed us lunch before boarding a commercial flight in business class. He took my vitals regularly and put us in an airline lounge with food and bev while we were waiting for a connectlng flight. He took us in a limo from the airport to our house and after one more vitals check he left. He told us that if the patient is on a stretcher they use private planes. They cover you anywhere in the world at no cost. The membership is 80.00 a year!!!  What a deal!!! 

So we do not worry about Medivac coverage. The travel insurance we carry is more for the cancellation and medical coverage.

Edited by gmjc2

One thing I never see discussed much in these conversations is the need to have a high limit credit card available.  A lot fo the travel insurances out there are secondary coverages, and people forget that they actually have to pay, up front, for care in a lot of countries before being reimbursed.  Some places will even require this payment to be made in advance of treatment.  So keep this in mind and always have a plan to cover the costs to get the care you need and worry about the reimbursement later.  

We always use Nationwide’s Luxury Cruise policy.  They have really high limits, coverage for pre-existing conditions, a reasonably priced cancel for any reason option and even some cruise specific coverages like an itinerary change.  We filed one year when we missed Key West due to fog in Galveston and got back a sizable amount of money (I think like $250 each).  The claims process was very quick and very easy.  But we are also young (in our 30s) and don’t have to worry about increased premiums.  For older individuals the Princess Insurance cant be beat.

Bottom line, atleast have something, but as other have warned costs here can be expensive, and I don’t know about you all but I don’t have $100k+ in the bank to self insure if I get into a bad accident while away.

6 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

One thing I never see discussed much in these conversations is the need to have a high limit credit card available.  A lot fo the travel insurances out there are secondary coverages, and people forget that they actually have to pay, up front, for care in a lot of countries before being reimbursed.  Some places will even require this payment to be made in advance of treatment.  So keep this in mind and always have a plan to cover the costs to get the care you need and worry about the reimbursement later.  

We always use Nationwide’s Luxury Cruise policy.  They have really high limits, coverage for pre-existing conditions, a reasonably priced cancel for any reason option and even some cruise specific coverages like an itinerary change.  We filed one year when we missed Key West due to fog in Galveston and got back a sizable amount of money (I think like $250 each).  The claims process was very quick and very easy.  But we are also young (in our 30s) and don’t have to worry about increased premiums.  For older individuals the Princess Insurance cant be beat.

Bottom line, atleast have something, but as other have warned costs here can be expensive, and I don’t know about you all but I don’t have $100k+ in the bank to self insure if I get into a bad accident while away.

With UHC safe trip you can sign a personal guarantee and they will wire the funds. But carrying or having access to high limit cc is the simplest.