Cause for cautious optimism?

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

A ninety year old lady was apparently the first to be vaccinated against  COVID-19 today in the UK 👍

Ivi

I saw her interview on the news and she was lovely.  A wonderful choice and a great role model.

6 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Keith

I cannot agree more with all that you say. we can but hope that most will agree.

More good news from this side of the pond. Today we have given the first doses of the Pfizer vaccine to the first few of those on our priority lists with a progressive rollout in the days and weeks to come. Of course, this will take some time to complete what is being described as our biggest vaccination programme ever. Still , about 10 months from first development to actual vaccination. Amazing !!

Yes, this is great news.  As some have said they showed Margaret Keenan( Maggie)  receiving the vaccine today.  Interestingly I believe your country will give dosage to the elderly and to medical personnel.  In our case this month we will begin with the medical personnel and it looks like we won't have enough for awhile even for all of them.  From there those in nursing homes will receive it.

We have learned and if the reporting is correct we had additional opportunities to get more of the Pfizer Vaccine but turned the offers down multiple times.  This is unfortunate.  I don't think money was the issue as we spent lots of money on all sorts of things including IMHO buying way too much of the hydroxychloroquine.  I guess we are presently in discussions for more but not sure if we will be in the back of the line. Overall, the EU has bought a lot of it.  

As part of whatever campaign our country will do to encourage people to be vaccinated I hope they will share stories such as Margaret receiving the vaccine.

For this to be a success the vaccine must work and just as importantly as I mentioned earlier a large percentage of the population must be vaccinated.

This will take a campaign to promote the vaccine like no other one in our lifetime and likewise the actual injection of the vaccine like no other has been done in our lifetime.  It can be done but the message has to be consistent and the actual administration of the vaccines has to be done in the most efficient and organize way possible.

Unfortunately in terms of supply we are not starting off in the best of positions.  Hopefully we can make headway in the coming months.

Keith

21 minutes ago, bitob said:

We will be the LAST country to be vaccinated in full.

Breaking news - your country will NEVER be fully vaccinated - look at all those saying no to a vaccine now. Based on current behaviour one has to wonder just how many will go fir the virus 

It’s interesting to see third world countries being offered vaccines from China and possibly Russia 

There’s not enough Pfizer vaccine to go around for those who forward committed to it - it looks like Australia won’t be getting it until around May 

Just adding an update on cruising in Australian waters - the Government extended the ban on cruise ships until at least 17 March 2021 - so nothing’s happening in this part of the world for quite sometime. That same Government decision bans free travel overseas by Australians - a permit is required to leave the country on one of the limited flights and you face a 2 week mandatory hotel quarantine on the return to Australia. The good news is we have a very low incidence of cases and pretty much all State borders are open so we have plenty of local travel options and places like restaurants and bars are all open with limited social distance requirements - plus it’s summer for us. It’s a surreal world we find ourselves in right now 

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

There’s not enough Pfizer vaccine to go around for those who forward committed to it - it looks like Australia won’t be getting it until around May

That should read March (not May) - for some reason CC won’t let me edit the post 

49 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

That should read March (not May) - for some reason CC won’t let me edit the post 

Our federal government has contracted enough to vaccinate the entire population a few times over, and the first small shipment is expected next week.

As to the anti-vaxxers, our provincial Minister of Health announced today that everyone receiving the shot will receive a vaccination record. While the shot is free and not mandatory, proof of vaccination will be required to visit LTC/Senior homes and possibly hospitals. Then she dropped this little backhanded threat; "Of course, private sector entities will be free to set their own rules of entry, so those refusing the shot might find their options rather limited." 

55% of the NYC firefighters will not take the vaccine according to a survey.  Women are more hesitant to take the vaccine then men.  It is still around 50/50 for those who will/will not take it.  This will not be over for a long time.  Unless the government of countries is prepared to go into peoples home and forceably inject them, which would cause further problems, people are to mistrustful of their governments whether it be the U.S, the UK or other countries.   Do not think any cruises will go for at least 6 months.  Viking just cancelled all their cruises thru April 1, Ocean and River.

12 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Our federal government has contracted enough to vaccinate the entire population a few times over, and the first small shipment is expected next week.

As to the anti-vaxxers, our provincial Minister of Health announced today that everyone receiving the shot will receive a vaccination record. While the shot is free and not mandatory, proof of vaccination will be required to visit LTC/Senior homes and possibly hospitals. Then she dropped this little backhanded threat; "Of course, private sector entities will be free to set their own rules of entry, so those refusing the shot might find their options rather limited." 

You interpret her comment as a threat?  I see it more as a reflection of the future reality around participating in certain events.

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

We have learned and if the reporting is correct we had additional opportunities to get more of the Pfizer Vaccine but turned the offers down multiple times.  This is unfortunate.  I don't think money was the issue as we spent lots of money on all sorts of things including IMHO buying way too much of the hydroxychloroquine.  I guess we are presently in discussions for more but not sure if we will be in the back of the line. Overall, the EU has bought a lot of it.  

The US government announced this morning it is going to buy the Pfizer and BioNTech coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine. The US government will pay the companies $1.95 billion upon the receipt of the first 100 million doses of BNT162, following US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorization or approval.Jul 22, 2020

When Pfizer Inc. said last month it expected to ship half the Covid-19 vaccines it had originally planned for this year, the decision highlighted the challenges drug makers face in rapidly building supply chains to meet the high demand.

“Scaling up the raw material supply chain took longer than expected,” a company spokeswoman said. “And it’s important to highlight that the outcome of the clinical trial was somewhat later than the initial projection.  -  Wall Street Journal 12-3-2020

31 minutes ago, cruisr said:

It is still around 50/50 for those who will/will not take it.

I think a lot of those people will eventually be convinced, especially when a vaccine certificate starts to be required for something they want to do.  Some of them already say they will get it eventually but don't want to be a "guinea pig" at the front of the line.

I look at their reluctance as part of the criteria for deciding who gets access to the vaccine when, since supplies will be scarce for a few months.  Let the people who want the vaccine get it first while we work on getting more supply and convincing the anti-vaxers it is a good idea.

We do not really need 100% compliance to reach herd immunity, especially if the vaccines are 95% effective.  I'm not sure what the number is, but I think it is in the range of 60-70% compliance.  The unvaccinated will still be at risk, but the rest of us being immune will reduce that risk and allow us to resume a more normal life.

5 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

It's so bad here right now in California.  We got an emergency alert today telling us to stay home. Hotels and other lodging is restricted to essential personnel now. ICU is less than 8% I believe.

You might want to get some hard data for your consideration.

https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/hospital-capacity

For California:

Inpatient bed usage:  70.86%

ICU bed usage:  75.88%

Furthermore, hospitals are like cruise-ships.....they don't make money with empty beds.  So the actual usage right now is below the typical demand for December.

You can click the links within the above page to get specific numbers for each state and for various categories of hospital usage.

5 hours ago, bitob said:

And unfortunately our government TURNED DOWN additional Pfizer vaccine doses.  Unspeakably cruel.

We will be the LAST country to be vaccinated in full.

Since Pfiser and Moderna have both applied to the FDA for emergency use of their new vaccines, America could have two mRNA vaccine suppliers within a couple of more weeks.  Moderna’s vaccine will not have to be kept at as low a temperature as Pfiser’s, thus simplifying its distribution process.

Hopefully, there will be a sufficient supply.  However, cold storage distribution problems may arise, and many people may not wish to be innoculated.
4 hours ago, suitedreams said:

The US government announced this morning it is going to buy the Pfizer and BioNTech coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine. The US government will pay the companies $1.95 billion upon the receipt of the first 100 million doses of BNT162, following US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorization or approval.Jul 22, 2020

When Pfizer Inc. said last month it expected to ship half the Covid-19 vaccines it had originally planned for this year, the decision highlighted the challenges drug makers face in rapidly building supply chains to meet the high demand.

“Scaling up the raw material supply chain took longer than expected,” a company spokeswoman said. “And it’s important to highlight that the outcome of the clinical trial was somewhat later than the initial projection.  -  Wall Street Journal 12-3-2020

Thank you for sharing this.  I was posting something different though.

I was noting that it was restored across several news papers earlier in the USA and abroad that the USA turned down several attempts prior to purchase additional dosages of the Pfizer vaccine which would have locked in a significant amount of vaccine for the second quarter of 2021.  I am not talking about the delays they have in not fulfilling the near term requirements. 

The additional purchase that we are making won't be fulfilled until likely the third quarter or possibly start at the end of the 2nd quarter because of our delay.  My point was that I don't think money was the issue as we were throwing it around for lots of things including a drug that we either didn't need or needed far far less than what we purchased.  

Keith

There is hope with the vaccine but we do not know yet all the facts. Yesterday I have read an article in the New York Times about the necessity of wearing masks even after being vaccinated. The article explained that the vaccine does not make completely inmune, but vaccinated people can still get the virus but not get sick themselves or just get mild symptoms. However, they could carry the virus and probably still infect others. This is the reason why mask wearing will still be required. Unfortunately the ones who are against masks will again have enough reasons for not wearing them and if they are vaccinated, they will think themselves invincible and do not care about the others. 

Ivi

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

There is hope with the vaccine but we do not know yet all the facts. Yesterday I have read an article in the New York Times about the necessity of wearing masks even after being vaccinated. The article explained that the vaccine does not make completely inmune, but vaccinated people can still get the virus but not get sick themselves or just get mild symptoms. However, they could carry the virus and probably still infect others. This is the reason why mask wearing will still be required. Unfortunately the ones who are against masks will again have enough reasons for not wearing them and if they are vaccinated, they will think themselves invincible and do not care about the others. 

Ivi

Ivi, this is correct.

Dr. Fauci and others have said we will still need to social distance, wash hands often and thoroughly and wear a mask.  We need to remember that best case the vaccine is not 100% effective.

One thing of interest. I have spoken with some friends and family members and if/when we get beyond this we were all saying (me too) we will wear masks on airplanes.  The irony is for a couple of years when traveling during the flu season Anne Marie and I took masks with us but never wore them.  The good news is when we got home in March and we were into the Pandemic we had masks at home from the ones we had bought because if we didn't it would have taken awhile to get our hands on them.  Now that we are used to them we'll wear them going forward.  And we will never look at people funny who we see in masks as we might have done in the past.

I think by being more careful going forward (avoiding handshakes, hugging, etc) we can cut down on the spread of other viruses.

You are right the key to all of this is getting as many people as possible on-board with what we need to go now and as the vaccine rolls out.  It starts with one consistent message.

Keith

6 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

Since Pfiser and Moderna have both applied to the FDA for emergency use of their new vaccines, America could have two mRNA vaccine suppliers within a couple of more weeks.  Moderna’s vaccine will not have to be kept at as low a temperature as Pfiser’s, thus simplifying its distribution process.

Hopefully, there will be a sufficient supply.  However, cold storage distribution problems may arise, and many people may not wish to be innoculated.

Unfortunately we might not have enough based on what they are saying.

Of course initially the challenge is getting everything organized and enough people to get the vaccine into the arms of the people but second quarter was supposed to do a lot for the general population and supply of Pfizer looks very weak in the second quarter given the commitments by other countries ahead of us and how much Prizer could scale production.

So demand is likely going to be larger than capacity.

Keith

10 hours ago, cruisr said:

55% of the NYC firefighters will not take the vaccine according to a survey.  Women are more hesitant to take the vaccine then men.  It is still around 50/50 for those who will/will not take it.  This will not be over for a long time.  Unless the government of countries is prepared to go into peoples home and forceably inject them, which would cause further problems, people are to mistrustful of their governments whether it be the U.S, the UK or other countries.   Do not think any cruises will go for at least 6 months.  Viking just cancelled all their cruises thru April 1, Ocean and River.

This will only get better overtime for many reasons.

Why?

More communication on its benefits.

A lot of encouragement by the Federal Government and Medical Experts.

More communication about any side effects.

Actual experience of those who get it.

The American public has shown many times the ability to change opinion.  I believe this will happen in this situation.  

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

This will only get better overtime for many reasons.

Why?

More communication on its benefits.

A lot of encouragement by the Federal Government and Medical Experts.

More communication about any side effects.

Actual experience of those who get it.

The American public has shown many times the ability to change opinion.  I believe this will happen in this situation.  

Keith

Keith, I agree completely...   I think all of those factors help, but at its core I think people hear about the new MRNA technology in the Pfizer and Moderna candidates and picture every Hollywood bio-terror plot they’ve ever seen.  I think the numbers will steadily improve as all of those factors kick in and people start seeing it working with their own eyes, and seeing consistency between what they can expect and what they see.

Vince

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

Keith, I agree completely...   I think all of those factors help, but at its core I think people hear about the new MRNA technology in the Pfizer and Moderna candidates and picture every Hollywood bio-terror plot they’ve ever seen.  I think the numbers will steadily improve as all of those factors kick in and people start seeing it working with their own eyes, and seeing consistency between what they can expect and what they see.

Vince

Vince, I hear you and agree.

Just wait because evidently two people who have major allergic reactions had reactions in the UK.  When I say they are highly allergic they carry aoundan injector should they have a major reaction.  So UK is going to warn people with serious (and they are talking about serious ones to food or other vaccines) not to take this at this point in time.  In fact, Pfizer didn't test people like that in the trial.  So this is a lesson learned.  The key though will be to report this correctly so people don't think it will happen to just anyone.  Hopefully they can learn from this to figure out what might cause the reaction.

For me it is simple.  It's like most things.  For example, anytime you have surgery there is a risk you will die.  Same just for anesthesia such as getting a colonoscopy but the upside is significantly better than the downside.  Same for this virus and a vaccine.  But yes, education is key because there are many naysayers when it comes to vaccines or for that matter just about anything.  Even cruising. 

Keith

13 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Vince, I hear you and agree.

Just wait because evidently two people who have major allergic reactions had reactions in the UK.  When I say they are highly allergic they carry aoundan injector should they have a major reaction.  So UK is going to warn people with serious (and they are talking about serious ones to food or other vaccines) not to take this at this point in time.  In fact, Pfizer didn't test people like that in the trial.  So this is a lesson learned.  The key though will be to report this correctly so people don't think it will happen to just anyone.  Hopefully they can learn from this to figure out what might cause the reaction.

For me it is simple.  It's like most things.  For example, anytime you have surgery there is a risk you will die.  Same just for anesthesia such as getting a colonoscopy but the upside is significantly better than the downside.  Same for this virus and a vaccine.  But yes, education is key because there are many naysayers when it comes to vaccines or for that matter just about anything.  Even cruising. 

Keith

Although what you say is absolutely correct, we are also told that this is quite a usual warning for many vaccines and other therapeutics and is definitely not a major concern. 

in an earlier post you referred to the categories currently being vaccinated in the UK. It should be noted that we are also currently targeting our workers in the care as well as health sectors and elderly care home residents.

I'm sure a lot have concerns about the side effects for the first 24 hours or so.  Maybe what needs to happen is the medicines that has been shown effective with side effects should be given out with the shots along with instructions about how to use.  Whatever, I'm sure it will be a while and we'll all figure it out - time will tell.