Cause for cautious optimism?

Not surprised.

The world is still too much in peril for travel to be safe

I am still hoping for late August.

I just went to Crystal website.  Seems like some cruises for June are still available for booking.  But I doubt they will go forward.

Edited by bitob
2 minutes ago, bitob said:

Not surprised.

I believe you are referring to late late August 2022.

Per several recent articles international travel will not totally resume until 2023-24.

With Canada closed to ships for the near future even if it were safe to travel there will be no place to travel to.

20 minutes ago, bitob said:

Not surprised.

I just went to Crystal website.  Seems like some cruises for June are still available for booking.  But I doubt they will go forward.

All of the June serenity, symphony and esprit itineraries have shown “call for availability” since Saturday...they can’t be booked 

Nancy

30 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

I believe you are referring to late late August 2022.

Per several recent articles international travel will not totally resume until 2023-24.

With Canada closed to ships for the near future even if it were safe to travel there will be no place to travel to.

At the moment there is one MSC ship cruising out of Italy. I am not sure if it is only for Italians. There are also two TUI ships cruising in the Canary Islands. 
I guess the trouble with Crystal is that its clients are mainly from USA, Australia and UK. 
Ivi

On 12/31/2020 at 8:49 AM, Coral said:

The whole roll out is frustrating in the US. Due to my job - I fall under 1B but I have no clue when this will happen. I thought it would happen in January but now have no clue. They are doing nursing homes now.

I have mixed feelings where I fall (as I am 50) but I work in HigherEd and am with students who could be positive and not show any symptoms and have no clue if they are infected and are spreading it. When not at work - I am home.

I think those who are older and more vulnerable should be vaccinated soon but most of the individuals I know in that group are able to stay home or are not as exposed. I feel for those who work at grocery stores as they are also very exposed.

Watching the lines in Florida makes me so sad. I hope none of those individuals gets sick while standing in 9 hour lines.

Back to the topic of vaccine roll out and priority, which we discussed back in December... Coral, your thoughtful remarks lead me to post this opinion piece from some medical bioethics experts (please, to those who aren't comfortable with the Washington Post there is nothing at all political in this opinion though it makes reference to how we can achieve equity in the distribution of vaccines):

The best vaccination strategy is simple: Focus on Americans 65 and older
Opinion by Ruth R. Faden, Matthew A. Crane and Saad B. Omer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/02/08/best-vaccination-strategy-is-simple-focus-americans-65-older/

This NIH director's blog is a hopeful sign of how science will win this war of antibodies vs virus! It's like Tom Brady got put on the team to quarterback for us, anticipating virus' next moves so we move the ball forward and will win!

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/02/09/mapping-which-coronavirus-variants-will-resist-antibody-treatments/

59 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

This NIH director's blog is a hopeful sign of how science will win this war of antibodies vs virus! It's like Tom Brady got put on the team to quarterback for us, anticipating virus' next moves so we move the ball forward and will win!

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/02/09/mapping-which-coronavirus-variants-will-resist-antibody-treatments/

Good article!  Although it's quite technical, it provides a crucial, succinct conclusion---   "the best way to keep SARS-CoV-2 from finding new ways to escape our ongoing efforts to end this terrible pandemic is to double down on whatever we can do to prevent the virus from multiplying and spreading in the first place."

Edited by Jim9310
2 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

Good article!  Although it's quite technical, it provides a crucial, succinct conclusion---   "the best way to keep SARS-CoV-2 from finding new ways to escape our ongoing efforts to end this terrible pandemic is to double down on whatever we can do to prevent the virus from multiplying and spreading in the first place."

Interesting to see that they looked to a Cruise Critic thread to find their summary recommendation!

😎🤗

(got our invites for our vaccination today 👍)

I received my 2nd dose of Moderna on Sat. at 3:30 pm. When I woke up on Sun, my arm / shoulder was very painful but Advil kept the pain under control. At 11:00 am a severe headache started, again controlled w/ frequent Advil. Fever started @ 5 pm. I tried to go to bed around 8:30 pm. Slept well from 8:30 - 10:15. Woke up w/ fever & chills. Was awake until  3:30 am because I couldn’t get comfortable. Had to get up at 6:00 am Mon for work. Arm felt better and no more headache or fever - just exhausted. I worked until 1pm when I couldn’t stay awake any longer. Slept for 1.5 hours. Went to bed Mon. evening around 11pm. Didn’t sleep great but much better than Sun night. Tues - no side effects at all. 

My experience seems very similar to my co-workers (I work for a hospital system) who received Moderna vaccine. With the 1st dose, I only had a painful arm / shoulder - no other symptoms at all. 

My 80 year old mother is getting her 2nd vaccine next week. We are both cautiously optimistic that our Sept. 2022 cruise can happen. 

11 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

Back to the topic of vaccine roll out and priority, which we discussed back in December... Coral, your thoughtful remarks lead me to post this opinion piece from some medical bioethics experts (please, to those who aren't comfortable with the Washington Post there is nothing at all political in this opinion though it makes reference to how we can achieve equity in the distribution of vaccines):

The best vaccination strategy is simple: Focus on Americans 65 and older
Opinion by Ruth R. Faden, Matthew A. Crane and Saad B. Omer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/02/08/best-vaccination-strategy-is-simple-focus-americans-65-older/

I see both sides. At some point - essential workers need to get vaccinated. We have had grocery stores close because they need to be cleaned due to so many people having COVID. Grocery stores need to be open - they are essential businesses. Everyone wants schools open - school employees need to be protected to effectively do their jobs. If people want places open - these employees need to be vaccinated. The schools in my area have been open since August. I have had so many friends/coworkers who have had COVID. These are positions that can't be "sent home to work".

Edited by Coral
29 minutes ago, Coral said:

I see both sides. At some point - essential workers need to get vaccinated. We have had grocery stores close because they need to be cleaned due to so many people having COVID. Grocery stores need to be open - they are essential businesses. Everyone wants schools open - school employees need to be protected to effectively do their jobs. If people want places open - these employees need to be vaccinated. The schools in my area have been open since August. I have had so many friends/coworkers who have had COVID. These are positions that can't be "sent home to work".

Yes agreed! I myself am a few years shy of 65, and my son moved from managing a movie theater to a retail worker at a local pharmacy last fall. If it comes to a coordinated nationwide approach to expedite the roll out, then simplicity by starting with 65+ priority is fine by me. Sorry to hear you are at risk of exposure and seeing others get the infection. I hope your vaccination is completed soon, and I agree that your profession needs to be high in priority! My clinic reached out by email and they plan to notify me when it is my turn for the vaccination, but I am working from home so easily can wait. 

20 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

Yes agreed! I myself am a few years shy of 65, and my son moved from managing a movie theater to a retail worker at a local pharmacy last fall. If it comes to a coordinated nationwide approach to expedite the roll out, then simplicity by starting with 65+ priority is fine by me. Sorry to hear you are at risk of exposure and seeing others get the infection. I hope your vaccination is completed soon, and I agree that your profession needs to be high in priority! My clinic reached out by email and they plan to notify me when it is my turn for the vaccination, but I am working from home so easily can wait. 

We were at the top priority of 1b and got moved to the bottom of 1b (education). Last week, they were doing those over 80 years old. This week they are focusing on independent living and those over 75. My county is getting less than 5000 vaccines per week.

I think those who are working in grocery stores, big box stores such as Costco and Sam's and drug stores should be essential and at the top of list (right after healthcare workers and first responders).

9 hours ago, YoungDubFan said:

I received my 2nd dose of Moderna on Sat. at 3:30 pm. When I woke up on Sun, my arm / shoulder was very painful but Advil kept the pain under control. At 11:00 am a severe headache started, again controlled w/ frequent Advil. Fever started @ 5 pm. I tried to go to bed around 8:30 pm. Slept well from 8:30 - 10:15. Woke up w/ fever & chills. Was awake until  3:30 am because I couldn’t get comfortable. Had to get up at 6:00 am Mon for work. Arm felt better and no more headache or fever - just exhausted. I worked until 1pm when I couldn’t stay awake any longer. Slept for 1.5 hours. Went to bed Mon. evening around 11pm. Didn’t sleep great but much better than Sun night. Tues - no side effects at all. 

My experience seems very similar to my co-workers (I work for a hospital system) who received Moderna vaccine. With the 1st dose, I only had a painful arm / shoulder - no other symptoms at all. 

My 80 year old mother is getting her 2nd vaccine next week. We are both cautiously optimistic that our Sept. 2022 cruise can happen. 

Yes, your experience is very similar to many people who we know and also very similar to the trial.

The majority of people have a sore arm after the first dosage not totally different than some other vaccines.  For most goes away within 24 to 48 hours.  Some have no symptoms and some have headache and or fever.

The vast majority of people have symptoms after the second vaccine (fever and/or headaches and/or fever and/or chills).  Most are much better after 24 hours.

I am still concerned with the number of people who don't want to get the vaccine and hope overtime they will change their minds.

Keith

I hear those of you who think that people in Grocery stores and others on the front lines should get the vaccine.  I too wish Teachers (at least those of a certain age) could get them.

With that said this is one where it will be hard to make everyone happy and one where they can get everyone who has a need vaccinated in the early phases.

In general, the CDC set the standards based on statistics such as the fact that the elderly (ugh!! is that many of us) will have a higher probability of severe side effects including death than a 20 year old in a grocery store.

Take my state and a few others did likewise such as Florida.  Instead of going with the recommendation of age 75 and above they went with 65 and above.  I was speaking with a neighbor the other day (socially distanced and far greater than six feet) who is 81 and has had health issues and if he got COVID-19 it would likely be a death sentence and he hasn't been able to get an appointment yet whereas someone 65 has.  Or take my wife.  Her own doctors have noted the ramifications if she got COVID-19 yet she is in the same boat (no pun intended) as others in our age group.  

Anyway, the key right now is to get more vaccine which they are working on and to get those states that have the vaccine to get it out quickly and not sit on any of it.

The other key is to do everything that is recommended.  While it would be great for the grocery workers to have the vaccine in the meantime stores in states where masks are required should enforce wearing masks and that includes not only customers but their own employees and for people to wear them correctly.  At our local store they will not tell a customer to leave if they are not wearing a mask.  If it was my store I would insist on having them leave and I don't care if that would cause customers not to shop there.  The reality is because of COVID-19 grocery stores are busier than ever with far less people dining out and traveling.  And asking customers to leave is showing respect for your employees and all the other customers.  I was in the grocery store yesterday and someone who cleans the floors was all around the store with no mask on.   When I got home I called the store manager and he thanked me and said it was a vendor as they contract out and would followup.  But the damage was done if he had COVID-19.  I would empower employees to tell him to leave as I realize the store manager can't be everywhere at the same time.

In other words, yes we need vaccines but there is so much that can be done to prevent spread before and also after vaccines.  

People have to remember when you get the vaccine you still need to follow all of the recommended guidelines and my concern is as hard is it was getting for people to follow this to begin with once they get vaccinated many will act like it is business as usual.

My observation is many people are more lax than ever and that is getting us into a lot of trouble.

Keith

18 hours ago, travelberlin said:

At the moment there is one MSC ship cruising out of Italy. I am not sure if it is only for Italians. There are also two TUI ships cruising in the Canary Islands. 
I guess the trouble with Crystal is that its clients are mainly from USA, Australia and UK. 
Ivi

I was booked on that MSC ship (in a PH Yacht Club) dep 15 th February however our government did forbid touristic travelling as until 1st March  - to block people travelling during the spring holiday for the schools. 

TUI is only accepting clients from Germany, Austria and Switserland  and Aida only from Germany and Austria; 

Being Belgian I was refused on ms Europa 2 , 3 times even after done 35 cruises on Hapag Lloyd :

what HL and TUI is doing is against European treaties and laws as all forms of discrimination is forbidden within the European Community  especially those on nationality , place of living  and language.  Both companies ignored the medical science - nationality is inferior to provide a negative test; Recently the TUI concern did receive an additional billion € loan  from  Germany.

I heard there a lot of TA and their families on board . Even in the lowest degree there was space on the Europa 2 what is never occuring.  

Unfortunately Crystal never was able to break into the  - non Uk - European market. 

I think to my recent stops in Costco. Most are not 20 year old PT employees. Most of these individuals are Costco employees who have been with the company for decades and this is a career for them. Same with one of our grocery stores (Midwest chain). It is employee owned. While some are high school employees, probably half are career employees.

I am thankful my city does have a face mask mandate. I think we have 2 cities that do. Most of our state does not have a face mask mandate! Our Governor does not believe in it.

This is our current mandate for our state (most of our state is back to normal):

With this new phase, the maximum capacity for indoor gatherings, including youth extracurricular activities, goes from 75% to 100%. 

State officials say organizes of gatherings of 500 or more people (1,000 or more in Douglas County) must still submit a reopening plan to their local health department and receive approval before holding their events. 

Aside from this requirement, there are no restrictions on gatherings during this phase of the state's plan. However social distancing guidelines are still recommended.

Edited by Coral

Talking about the vaccine roll out the NYT has an interactive map and many charts updated daily about this on their web site. For me it brings out the problem the US has faced from day one. We have plans rules and laws differing for each state with GUIDELINES coming out of Washington that change daily. 

As for cruising I had hoped to catch a ride from here, NYC, to Canada this fall however I read that Canada has banned cruise ships till 2022, maybe RCCL to Bermuda although this summer seems too close. NCLH is very optimistic as I now get a brochure from one of their lines daily and NCL is advertising on local TV.

21 hours ago, YoungDubFan said:

I received my 2nd dose of Moderna on Sat. at 3:30 pm.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 2nd dose. Have read other accounts of more severe reactions to the 2nd dose. Not something to look forward to ...

I thought I'd mix things up a bit in this thread. I had a dream last night that we were on Serenity for the first time since Covid and it was awful. There was no music anywhere and there was social distancing required but NO masks and people kept forgetting to keep their distance. The ship was in bad shape too. Anyhow, it was just a bad dream, I know that when we're ready to cruise again Serenity will be in great shape 😁 

There was information from the CDC about testing they have done about double masks.  We've been doing this for the past few weeks.

The key is one mask provides lots of benefits but should be snug and worn correctly.  And you still need to social distance with the masks on which unfortunately people forget.

Keith

It is estimated that 30% to 40% of Americans are currently reluctant to be vaccinated.   Fortunately, one of the persons spreading false news has been reprimanded.

Instagram removes Robert F. Kennedy Jr. over false COVID-19 vaccine claims

Article:   instagram-bans-robert-kennedy-jr-over-covid-19-vaccine

Edited by Jim9310
9 minutes ago, Jim9310 said:

It is estimated that 30% to 40% of Americans are currently reluctant to be vaccinated.   Fortunately, one of the persons spreading false news has been reprimanded.

Instagram removes Robert F. Kennedy Jr. over false COVID-19 vaccine claims

Article:   instagram-bans-robert-kennedy-jr-over-covid-19-vaccine

In Germany at first only 50% wanted to receive a vaccine. Now the number has increased apparently to 70%. It seems that the scarcity of the vaccine has contributed to the increased willingness 😉

All the literature I have read said that the vast majority of people do NOT have side effects (covid like symptoms)  after the second dose.  I have read 15% to 30% and that is not even a majority, much less a vast majority.  Of the 6 people I know who received their 2nd dose, none had any side effects except a sore arm.  

I get my second jab today and will report back.