Jump to content

Cause for cautious optimism?


Recommended Posts

Just now, Noggins said:

breaking news - there's a new variant Cobb salad.......

IMG_20191025_125625.jpg


It’s infested!

 

Sacrilege - even though I do like prawns they’re not really part of a Cobb salad - you’ll have to invent a new name for this “thing” 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Noggins said:

Alternatively you can wait for the vaccine...


phew I’ve found the vaccine - from two different labs to ensure adequate supply options 

 

3DB6241E-3D10-4131-B691-27B4D74B81AC.thumb.jpeg.371736b2b977d8b6c92623b69bc7f97e.jpeg
 

(the Embarkation day special)

 

23FA7627-593F-4634-9091-BBBC51E95BA9.thumb.jpeg.e866f3dadf82172627ff99a3fcbf71e6.jpeg

 

and what a Cobb salad should look like - without contaminants 

 

5DF12A72-4A48-4D93-ACD0-CD62921EDF9B.thumb.jpeg.779b4d1fef0ac63d33804ce9bdb3c06a.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 9:03 AM, mrlevin said:

Keith, I guess you are going to turn down the invitation to my mask burning party when our great Governor removes the mask mandate.  😂

Gov. Abbott has lifted mask mandate and everything is 100% open.  Of course, you can still wear masks and will have to at airports.  When is your party LOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Gov. Abbott has lifted mask mandate and everything is 100% open.  Of course, you can still wear masks and will have to at airports.  When is your party LOL.

 

Actually the mandate is lifted on 10 March.  I will see if stores and restaurants still require them.  I will probably hold the mask burning on the 13th or 14th or combine it with St Patrick's Day party on 17th or Wine Club on 18th.  Soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

 

Actually the mandate is lifted on 10 March.  I will see if stores and restaurants still require them.  I will probably hold the mask burning on the 13th or 14th or combine it with St Patrick's Day party on 17th or Wine Club on 18th.  Soon.

Only 12% of Texans have received the full dosage.

 

Texas is the only state wit ha city (Houston) which has all four variances.  Not good.

 

Hopefully, the businesses will be wise and keep the mandate as Costco did early on.

 

And, if you have unused masks give them to charity.  Don't burn them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keith I get a laugh every time I see you driving your Lexus wearing a mask.  

 

Unused masks will be kept for future need; just going to burn one.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Keith I get a laugh every time I see you driving your Lexus wearing a mask.  

 

Unused masks will be kept for future need; just going to burn one.  

LOL.  Guess you don't see me often (if ever) because I don't wear one when I drive unless I totally forgot to remove it.

 

By the way the Governor said people should make their own decision. Hopefully the vast majority will still to wearing a mask because they respect life.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel sorry for all you Texans.

This is NOT the time to remove the masks and gather in groups.

We need to wait until more people are vaccinated.

 

If other states follow your governor's insane approach, we won't be cruising until the next millennium

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree bitob - seems so reckless and now they will bring on spring breakers to spread all those variants. We have ppl from MN who will go there to party and bring back the viruses to spread them among us. Sturgis all over again.

 

I can now get vaccinated probably by April and luckily the new J&J vaccine is effective almost immediately and has been tested against variants (I will take whichever vaccine is offered however).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 

Based on recent projections, it appears that any American wishing to be vaccinated will be able to do so by May. 

 

The Queen Mary 2 expects to resume transatlantic cruises in June and several ships are scheduled for May cruises between New York ports and Bermuda, the Bahamas, and Eastern Canada.

It will be interesting to see whether these cruises will be cancelled.

 

In today’s New York Times there’s a disconcerting article about Brazil’s P.1 variant (highlights in bold).   

 

“Preliminary studies suggest that the variant that swept through the port city of Manaus is not only more contagious, but it also appears able to infect some people who have already recovered from other versions of the virus. And the variant has slipped Brazil’s borders, showing up in two dozen other countries and in small numbers in the United States.

 

Although trials of a number of vaccines indicate they can protect against severe illness even when they do not prevent infection with the variant, most of the world has not been inoculated. That means even people who had recovered and thought they were safe for now might still be at risk, and that world leaders might, once again, be lifting restrictions too soon.”

 

Edited by Jim9310
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim9310 said:

 

 

Based on recent projections, it appears that any American wishing to be vaccinated will be able to do so by May. 

 

The Queen Mary 2 expects to resume transatlantic cruises in June and several ships are scheduled for May cruises between New York ports and Bermuda, the Bahamas, and Eastern Canada.

It will be interesting to see whether these cruises will be cancelled.

 

In today’s New York Times there’s a disconcerting article about Brazil’s P.1 variant (highlights in bold).   

 

“Preliminary studies suggest that the variant that swept through the port city of Manaus is not only more contagious, but it also appears able to infect some people who have already recovered from other versions of the virus. And the variant has slipped Brazil’s borders, showing up in two dozen other countries and in small numbers in the United States.

 

Although trials of a number of vaccines indicate they can protect against severe illness even when they do not prevent infection with the variant, most of the world has not been inoculated. That means even people who had recovered and thought they were safe for now might still be at risk, and that world leaders might, once again, be lifting restrictions too soon.”

 

Good information.

 

I would just add:

 

I think it's fairer to say that by the end of May the USA is now projected to have enough vaccine to vaccinate all Americans 18 & older.  It likely will take a few months beyond this date to get it into everyone's arms.  The good news is we are heading in the right direction in terms of getting vaccine.

 

Unfortunately we now have five variants in our country and the first state having them is Texas (in Houston) with three originating outside the USA and two within the USA.  Pfizer and Moderna are already starting trials. However the more this spreads the greater the risk of new variants.  Let us hope the vaccines we are all getting will work against these.

 

Personally I agree that some world leaders and in our country some Governor's are lifting restrictions too fast which is why just the other day in the USA the CDC Director pleaded with them to stay the course for the next several months as these months are critical in our efforts to defeat this virus.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone who flew back from London to Dallas on Dec 30 is a confirmed carrier of B.1.1.7 UK variant. This case was published by the CDC. Interesting evidence of how easily the virus can slip thru even when travel precautions are taken. We need to be super careful and serious about this!

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7010e2.htm?s_cid=mm7010e2_w

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I think it's fairer to say that by the end of May the USA is now projected to have enough vaccine to vaccinate all Americans 18 & older.  It likely will take a few months beyond this date to get it into everyone's arms.  The good news is we are heading in the right direction in terms of getting vaccine.

Keith

 

It’s possible that we have different views of the status of the nationwide vaccination coverage in May, due to the importance of the “Wait and See” Group.  In January, 31% of Americans were in that group. While the percentage is slowly shrinking, it is likely to remain well above zero in May and long thereafter.  Kaiser Family Foundation’s survey research provides insight into the characteristics of the reluctant population.

 

image.png.2bbe0702799f6000d8bae5c8f880e677.png

Edited by Jim9310
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jim9310 said:

 

It’s possible that we have different views of the status of the nationwide vaccination coverage in May, due to the importance of the “Wait and See” Group.  In January, 31% of Americans were in that group. While the percentage is slowly shrinking, it is likely to remain well above zero in May and long thereafter.  Kaiser Family Foundation’s survey research provides insight into the characteristics of the reluctant population.

 

image.png.2bbe0702799f6000d8bae5c8f880e677.png

Yes. I guess we’ll see but logic tells me everyone who wants the vaccine will not be fully vaccinated end of May. I have friends in the older 65 group who have not had their first dosage. I hope I am wrong and you are right but I think end of July is more realistic. 
 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Good information.

 

I would just add:

 

I think it's fairer to say that by the end of May the USA is now projected to have enough vaccine to vaccinate all Americans 18 & older.  It likely will take a few months beyond this date to get it into everyone's arms.  The good news is we are heading in the right direction in terms of getting vaccine.

 

Unfortunately we now have five variants in our country and the first state having them is Texas (in Houston) with three originating outside the USA and two within the USA.  Pfizer and Moderna are already starting trials. However the more this spreads the greater the risk of new variants.  Let us hope the vaccines we are all getting will work against these.

 

Personally I agree that some world leaders and in our country some Governor's are lifting restrictions too fast which is why just the other day in the USA the CDC Director pleaded with them to stay the course for the next several months as these months are critical in our efforts to defeat this virus.

 

Keith

Just to add that it is not too crazy to assume that these five known as well as more unknown mutants of this virus has been free to roam this country and beyond for months.  Just because it was confirmed in Houston, that does not mean these viruses are just limited to Houston or even Texas.  Also these five commonly known mutants are not the end of the changes the "original" or other mutants will make in the future, and that's how these viruses go through their version of natural selection.  So it is great that we now have three good vaccines available, and that they are now starting to be produced at a very rapid rate, and being administered to more people every day, it is extremely premature and short-sighted to celebrate our ultimate victory over this outbreak, whether you want to burn your masks or not.

 

And also on a more personal level, as a child of an immigrant and an immigrant myself, these dog-whistle type suggestions to somehow shift the blame of this greatly self-inflicted outbreak to those people who are desperate enough to risk their lives to come here (an experience I did not have to endure) are nothing short of despicable.  I guess international travel does not vaccinate us against bigotry and xenophobia.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psoque said:

Just to add that it is not too crazy to assume that these five known as well as more unknown mutants of this virus has been free to roam this country and beyond for months.  Just because it was confirmed in Houston, that does not mean these viruses are just limited to Houston or even Texas.  Also these five commonly known mutants are not the end of the changes the "original" or other mutants will make in the future, and that's how these viruses go through their version of natural selection.  So it is great that we now have three good vaccines available, and that they are now starting to be produced at a very rapid rate, and being administered to more people every day, it is extremely premature and short-sighted to celebrate our ultimate victory over this outbreak, whether you want to burn your masks or not.

 

And also on a more personal level, as a child of an immigrant and an immigrant myself, these dog-whistle type suggestions to somehow shift the blame of this greatly self-inflicted outbreak to those people who are desperate enough to risk their lives to come here (an experience I did not have to endure) are nothing short of despicable.  I guess international travel does not vaccinate us against bigotry and xenophobia.

 

 

Very logical and I agree 100%.


We can do so much more to minimize the spread of the virus.  If we all would follow the CDC guidelines I know we would be in a much better place.

 

So much of this is in our hands while others push to make the vaccines available.  

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

 

 

Very logical and I agree 100%.


We can do so much more to minimize the spread of the virus.  If we all would follow the CDC guidelines I know we would be in a much better place.

 

So much of this is in our hands while others push to make the vaccines available.  

 

Keith

I think majority do follow the CDC guidelines. Australia seems to be your Gold standard. They have closed their borders and seem to have it under control as well as NZ.  I hope the USA can continue to vaccinate and get rid of this nightmare.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Australia seems to be your Gold standard. They have closed their borders and seem to have it under control as well as NZ


Interestingly over 430,000 travellers have entered Australia since Covid border restrictions were introduced - so it’s not a total closure of the borders. Each travel returning has to quarantine in a Government arranged and supervised hotel for 2 weeks. It’s interesting just how many cases have been found in returning travellers - saving us from more outbreaks

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:


Interestingly over 430,000 travellers have entered Australia since Covid border restrictions were introduced - so it’s not a total closure of the borders. Each travel returning has to quarantine in a Government arranged and supervised hotel for 2 weeks. It’s interesting just how many cases have been found in returning travellers - saving us from more outbreaks

Yes, I have a dear friend in Melbourne and she tells me things are going well. I had read that numerous Aussies have not been able to get back into the country and it is closed until June 2021, but subject to change? Are only Australian citizens allowed back in or are foreigners also allowed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I think majority do follow the CDC guidelines. Australia seems to be your Gold standard. They have closed their borders and seem to have it under control as well as NZ.  I hope the USA can continue to vaccinate and get rid of this nightmare.

I think you are wrong.

 

Several states which have contributed to much of our issues during the last few months have not followed the guidelines.

 

Actually if we all followed the CDC guidelines that would be a gold standard.

 

You don't have to close borders to get things under control and you are wrong about Australia.  Travelers can get there.  You should know there are flights between the USA and Australia but when you arrive there are logical guidelines.

 

If you want to get rid of the nightmare then we need to follow the guidelines from the CDC which are specific and easy to follow.

 

They are simple::

 

Wear a mask.

 

Social Distance.

 

Wash hands Often and Thoroughly.

 

Avoid Flights unless you have to travel.

 

Minimize indoor dining.

 

Avoid being with others in your home who don't live under your roof.

 

The CDC I believe this week is coming out with guidelines for those who have been vaccinated.

 

This stuff is easy but when people ignore it that is when the problems occur.

 

Keith

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Except that they change their minds every other day!

 

Of course they do -- we LITERALLY learn new things about COVID every day, and that news is reported 3 times a week by the response team.  That's a feature, not a bug -- most of us WANT the latest information. 

 

The changes are almost all small, and I have faith that we're all smart enough to follow the changes.  🤞

 

Vince

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I had read that numerous Aussies have not been able to get back into the country and it is closed until June 2021, but subject to change? Are only Australian citizens allowed back in or are foreigners also allowed?


There’s certainly contention about those topics...

 

That June 2021 issue is about us being able to leave without a permit - not returning to Australia 

 

Theoretically preference is given to returning Australian citizens but then it seems if your a “movie star” or minor celebrity or sportsperson you can come in too (it’s all about the money) - so it’s certainly not limited to Australian citizens although they’re meant to get priority - but that doesn’t seem to be the case based on reports of people being let in 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...