Insuring a World Cruise

mrlevin

I know many people on this board have taken one or more (or even a dozen) world cruises on Regent.  We are planning on booking 2023 world cruise; however, we need to know what to do about insurance if we need to get it immediately in order to cover pre-existing conditions.  I know some of you have taken world cruises without buying any insurance whilst others have needed to be medevaced just two weeks into the cruise.  So, you the experienced ones, I have some questions.

Regent usually covers medical onboard for world cruises; I certainly don't think that will change.  If one of us dies prior to the cruise, the other would certainly cruise so no need for insurance for that.  If we both die before the cruise we don't care about the cost of the cruise.  The things we would be looking for insurance for:

1.  Medical evacuation all the way from the ship (Medjet only covers from hospital);

2.  If a funeral or major illness happened in family we would want to "interrupt" our trip and fly home and then fly back to join the cruise;

3.  If we got a broken leg on way to ship we could fly to meet up with the ship at later time.

I am assuming that if we had something befall us prior to cruise we could tell Regent that we will join up with the ship later; after all, we have paid for cabin; is this true?

Since medical is covered by Regent, I really don't want to cover 100% of cost just in order to get pre-existing coverage, is this reasonable?  I do believe in self insuring where I can.  So, do all I need is evacuation and pay for any trip interruption on my own?  Or, should I insure a portion such as $50,000 in order to get sufficient trip interruption insurance?

Thanks for all thoughts from the learned ones.

Kind Regards,

Marc

In 2017 for our 2018WC we got bids for the insurance from Insure my trip and from our TA. We always carry MedJet. There was no perfect insurance. And we could only insure $50,000 each not enough to cover the total ticket. After much thinking we went with the cheapest policy that covered what we were most interested in covering. There was no perfect solution and usually for cheaper cruises we self insure.

You are booking way ahead. At our age (over 70 when we sailed) we don’t like to book way ahead. We booked the WC two days before final payment. Fortunately we were good for the look back period so we got pre existing condition coverage.

They had very good medical care aboard the ship. At least four passengers developed double pneumonia Including me. They put three off because of age and degree of sickness, but I stated on. I responded very well to treatment. They really took good care of me.

i know this doesn’t help much and I think Covid is going to change travel insurance. We are looking at possibly another long cruise either a world cruise or if the Arctic cruise is available doing it. I will be interested in what you find. Really only medical coverage for things that can go wrong out of country concern us. That is where the most cost are. 

I'm hardly a 'learned one', Marc, since our world cruise attempt was thwarted by the virus.  And in fact, it's harder for Canadians.

But don't you also need to insure against catastrophic illness between final payment and embarkation? I know you're younger, but even in your 60's, lots can happen between booking and travelling.

Here's what we did.  Since we already have good travel medical, I can't comment on evac, etc.  We were able to get cancellation insurance where we could pay in stages--so a trivial amount to secure the insurance itself, only covering our deposit, but with pre-existing conditions included.  This was going to ramp up in stages, as further penalties kicked in.  Because of the cost of the cruise, and perhaps because we're in Canada, we could only secure coverage for about a half of the cost of the cruise--the rest was going to be self-insured.  And of course, the whole thing became moot when we cancelled.  But the misadventure only cost us a few hundred dollars. 

For the future, if we were ever well enough, or rich enough to try again, I would seriously re-consider Viking, since they offer quite reasonable insurance, including medical coverage onboard, when you book their WC.

Marc, Ida and I are also booking this 2023 World Cruise and our Travel insurance pro (Steve @ tripinsurancestore) is reviewing three policies for us.  Per discussion with senior Regent folks we may see the itinerary later this month or early September.

The three Travel Insurance companies the Trip Insurance Store is reviewing for us are;  Berkshire Hathaway, Travel Guard and Travel Insured Worldwide trip protector.  Am guessing our deposit date will be  o/a September 26 and travel dates will (early Jan 2023 thru end of May 2023).  Once Steve gives us a recommendation, will post it here.  btw, Steve/Trip Insurance Store did a Q&A on Travel Insurance here on Cruise Critic last month

Am sure we will see Arlene and you on board the Mariner near our fav staircase on deck seven :).  Hoping we have Andy Heath and Tammy Heath as CD for this WC

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

After you book your cruise in order to get pre-existing coverage you have to purchase your insurance policy within a few weeks depending on insurer.  But, you don't have to bite the bullet insuring the full price of the cruise only buy coverage for the amount you are at risk and as the cancellation penalties go up increase your coverage until you get to 100% penalty as Wendy so well described.

As to covering leaving and returning to the ship due to a covered occurrence, (2 and 3) have never heard that asked and while I doubt you will be covered, best to ask a Pro like Steve at trip insurance store.  Either he or one of his staff will be happy to sort that out for you at no additional cost.  In fact strongly recommend you contact Steve now to answer all your questions as many things are company dependent so nobody on CC is able to provide you a specific comment without knowing the company you are going to insure with and which policy you choose.

You pay exactly the same amount booking thru Steve as booking direct and Steve's services are at no charge with excellent responses.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the great replies.  For the Grand Arctic next year we have BH and although the eventual premium will be quite high we have only been adding to insurance as we have made partial payments.  We will make a large payment in November and then the final payment on 1 January so then the insurance will be paid.

Wes, I will contact Steve (or I will let you do all the planning and just jump on the bandwagon).  For Arctic we are insuring full cost for cancellation and trip interruption; I would like to be able to cut that down for the WC.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

Wes, we will see you and Ida onboard!

Marc

PS For the 2023 WC I will be on Medicare but not Arlene; just another wrinkle.

Edited by mrlevin

32 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Thank you all for the great replies.  For the Grand Arctic next year we have BH and although the eventual premium will be quite high we have only been adding to insurance as we have made partial payments.  We will make a large payment in November and then the final payment on 1 January so then the insurance will be paid.

Wes, I will contact Steve (or I will let you do all the planning and just jump on the bandwagon).  For Arctic we are insuring full cost for cancellation and trip interruption; I would like to be able to cut that down for the WC.

Marc

Not to confuse the situation more, traditional Medicare only covers for hospitalized care in a Hospital that has a provider agreement (and are appropriately licensed by the State licensing agency) with CMS.  In the US, almost all hospitals have such a provider agreement.  The general advise is that traditional Medicare does not cover for care outside of the United States, it's Commonwealths or Territories).  There are some unique exceptions, but would even confuse it more.  For someone that has a Medicare Advantage Plan (aka Medicare Part C), some of those plans (as an add on feature) cover care outside of the US.  

In most cases, when a person seeks medical or hospital care outside of the US, they entity of provider will request payment.  

I live in Baltimore, Maryland so we have many people  seek treatment here from out of State  (and country). I know in a previous post, someone mentioned Medjet.  I have several colleagues whose patients have utilized their services and they were quite pleased. 

As a clinician, I wonder how if someone needs acute tertiary care, how the process could ever be from ship to receiving hospital.  The degree of expertise and equipment is somewhat limited on ships, so I would image that a stop at a full service hospital would be in the mix.  

18 hours ago, WesW said:

Marc, Ida and I are also booking this 2023 World Cruise and our Travel insurance pro (Steve @ tripinsurancestore) is reviewing three policies for us.  Per discussion with senior Regent folks we may see the itinerary later this month or early September.

The three Travel Insurance companies the Trip Insurance Store is reviewing for us are;  Berkshire Hathaway, Travel Guard and Travel Insured Worldwide trip protector.  Am guessing our deposit date will be  o/a September 26 and travel dates will (early Jan 2023 thru end of May 2023).  Once Steve gives us a recommendation, will post it here.  btw, Steve/Trip Insurance Store did a Q&A on Travel Insurance here on Cruise Critic last month

Am sure we will see Arlene and you on board the Mariner near our fav staircase on deck seven :).  Hoping we have Andy Heath and Tammy Heath as CD for this WC

Wes and Marc: where did you get the information on the 2023 Regent WC?  Even when my Ta spoke to her contact on Regent they still had not received the information last week.  We are booked on the 2022, but would really like to see what the 2023 itinerary will be.  Thanks, Norma

You all are smart to be considering adequate insurance coverage for what I'm sure will be a wonderful WC onboard the Mariner.  Our first Regent cruise was on the Mariner.  Fond memories.

A quick aside...  very nice to see WesW posting here.

Thanks RJ2002, tho we mostly have cruised on Silversea Expeditions this year and last when it comes to classic voyages no one does the luxury cruise experience 24x7 better than Regent.

Am enjoying sharing the multiple behind the scenes Regent crew member profiles on another site and am fondly recalling these special Regent moments.

Ladys Mom, Marc originally found the 2023 WC teaser paragraph in the latest Regent Connects email that Regent pushes out:   An epic journey that traverses 42 countries and 6 continents. We can't wait share more with you this September about our new, 143-night World Cruise, setting sail in 2023.

I verified this 2023 WC information at the highest level of Regent and found the itinerary could be released later this month or early September. 

We also look forward to studying the itinerary as we have over 425 days cruising between Regent and Silversea and hope to not repeat many ports.  I really like the Crystal 2023 WC itinerary but will not cruise on Crystal.

Edited by WesW

29 minutes ago, WesW said:

Thanks RJ2002, tho we mostly have cruised on Silversea Expeditions this year

Sadly, our first Silversea cruise - next March on the Wind, Cape Town to Accra, has been scrapped - an indirect casualty of the pandemic.  The Wind's planned drydock/refurb has been postponed, and Silversea has substituted the Cloud to take over the Wind's Antarctica and Africa sailings.  However, our segment was cancelled.  We'll hope for another chance sometime to try Silversea and experience that unique itinerary.  In the meantime, we do have Regent and Crystal sailings on the books for the latter part of 2021.

I am sure that Steve will line you all up the right product/coverage for your WC.

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

Just a little follow up to my last post.  I was doing a bit of research and MedJet does not cover for trips over 90 days.  They probably offer some other policy, but that is what is for the standard policy.  

Marc, did not see your post #7 until now.  Lucky Arlene and you the Grand Arctic looks like a terrific itinerary; we loved Iceland, Faroe, Shetland and Orkney islands, Norway especially our visit to the North Cape (beautiful sunny day). Absolutely, will see y'all on board the Mariner WC (about 29 months to go).

Steve at The Trip Insurance store, for our travel situation, he recommended Travel Guard Preferred plus.  Will discuss Dave/Wendy's  strategy (insure deposit, then ramp up later) with Steve tomorrow.

Wendy, will also ask Steve if he serves Canadian clients.

RJ2002, was on the last Cloud expedition cruise in March of this year (USH to CPT) Capetown/RSA kept us from docking for five days--not fun.  Only time I have ever been in Capetown and only saw it from the Cloud's top deck and the bus ride to the airport.   Love the Cloud and we were going to book the NWP in 2022 until the Regent 2023 WC came up.

Edited by WesW

23 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Gee, I wish we had a Steve here in Canada.  I pulled my hair out trying to find coverage for our WC, and didn't really accomplish it.  I'm not even sure Regent's own policy would cover Canadians.

They have some products for Canadians so you can contact him and see what is available should you ever need to in the future. I did so when i was looking for a policy for our 2019 cruise. In that case they didn't have anything that met our needs but did have some options that cover Canadians. 

Edited by 1982CruzStart
typing errors

26 minutes ago, WesW said:

Wendy, will also ask Steve if he serves Canadian clients.

25 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

They have some products for Canadians so you can contact him and see what is available should you ever need to in the future. I did so when i was looking for a policy for our 2019 cruise. In that case they didn't have anything that met our needs but did have some options that cover Canadians. 

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.  I'm almost certain I spoke to Steve (and some other U.S. agents.) No coverage available for such a high-priced cruise for Canadian residents, as I recall. 

1 hour ago, howiefrommd said:

Just a little follow up to my last post.  I was doing a bit of research and MedJet does not cover for trips over 90 days.  They probably offer some other policy, but that is what is for the standard policy.  

That is right. there was a "more expensive" option for the WC. The cost also goes up when you are over 75! We were looking at insurance for the Grand Arctic for 2021 just before the virus hit.  

Have one short cruise on the Splendor first part of Feb (booked in 2018). We are in the "just wait and see mode.....will it sail or won't it". Since it is out of Miami, we have always planned to drive our RV so no air travel to be concerned with or even to much exposure in hotels and eating on the road. We need to see what the cruise ships do to protect the crew and passengers and how it really works.

Our worst nightmare is being trapped on a sick ship or in a foreign country.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.  I'm almost certain I spoke to Steve (and some other U.S. agents.) No coverage available for such a high-priced cruise for Canadian residents, as I recall. 

Hi Wendy,

Yes, you talked with me. Unfortunately, I still don't know of any plans I would sell that will cover Canadians.

You might find this specific thread in June 2020 Q & A I did here on CruiseCritic to be helpful:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2752671-covid-19-medical-insurance-for-canadians/

One of my posts said this:

"I understand the major differences between Canadian and USA travel insurance plans. I have another website called www.SnowBirdInsurance.com that I created specifically for Canadian Snowbirds.

Canadians used to account for about 1/3 of my business until 2016. In 2016, your Province (Quebec) stopped US trip cancellation companies from offering their plans to its residents. In 2018, the other Provinces did the same."

This past week I put SnowBirdInsurance.com on hold until I can hopefully find a travel insurance that I would feel comfortable offering that will cover Canadians. Thanks to the virus I have plenty of time to look.

I hope this makes sense,

Steve Dasseos

• Like 4

2 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

Hi howiefrommd,

You may get the MedJet Expatriate Plan when traveling for extended periods in other countries. If you are an AARP member you get a discount.

By the way, AARP didn't like me using "AARP" on my website so they sent me a Cease and Desist order about 10 years ago. So I changed my description to "with a Senior Citizen Discount from a well-known organization that won’t let me use its name". They disliked that even more, but they said I had fulfilled the letter of the law.

Here's the information:

Expatriate Plan
Memberships are available for U.S., Canada and Mexico residents traveling for extended periods in other countries. The fees are based on the amount of uninterrupted time spent outside the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

Number of days out of U.S, Canada & Mexico     Individual     Family
Expat180 (up to 180 consecutive days)     $450     $575
Expat365 (up to 365 consecutive days)     $675     $999

Expatriate Plan with a Senior Citizen Discount from a well-known organization that won’t let me use its name
Memberships are available for U.S., Canada and Mexico residents traveling for extended periods in other countries. The fees are based on the amount of uninterrupted time spent outside the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
Number of days out of U.S, Canada & Mexico     Individual     Family
Expat180 (up to 180 consecutive days)     $385     $499
Expat365 (up to 365 consecutive days)     $580     $899

I hope this helps you,

Steve Dasseos

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I recommend that you listen to Steve Dasseos, owner of tripinsurancestore.com 

He's the only one we've always trusted to advise us yea or nay on policies. He will really look after you and advise you the best policy for your needs.

• Like 1

I also want to give a hearty rec and thanks to Steve for years of unbiased, unvarnished advice he and his team provide.

One small nit: There were policy limits on the dollar amount & type of coverage I hoped to obtain for WC 2021.  I cancelled the WC booking so the coverage gap was not resolved.

• Like 1